Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41574 - 10/15/14 11:22 AM Re: What are you guys doing with IRs? [Re: Downrazor11]
PatriotsBuker Offline
advanced member

I got through some of it last night. Listened to some samples, etc.

I've got all my Pro Tools sessions already in 48. My add-on unit (GT-100) is in 44.1K too, but In run it into the line-in ports on the back of the 11R. Not quite as nice as the original signal, but usable.

Quite under-rated that GT-100 and the small version GT-001 are, btw. At least for what I play. Even with losing a bit of tone going in to the 11R line-ins, I've getting some good driven old school Rock tones. I wonder how well that would match up with the IR platform?

downrazor11, what tube amp(s) do you have that the Epsi/IRs thing is getting really close for you?

#41575 - 10/15/14 11:34 AM Re: What are you guys doing with IRs? [Re: PatriotsBuker]
Bob Online   content
advanced member

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: PatriotsBuker
I sat on this for a bit, both the responses and content from the link I clicked on (ownhammer). In that site, I saw the "convolution reverb" term used a lot. Is this like that, where the guitar signal sort of passes through this sort of filter type thing?

Very simply put YES.

An IR or impulse response is the reaction of any dynamic system in response to some external change. This allows for the capture of characteristics of the given signal to its environment. Such as the reverberation of a concert hall, or the dynamics of the signal as it passed through a certain loudspeaker and microphone system.

The convolution part of it is the math that takes place on the signal.

One other thought. There's that sense of being in the same room with your tube amp that keeps many people using both digital and analog. Does this technology make any headway to that end?

The short answer is yes and no.

In MY HUMBLE experience, it makes more difference on high gain tone, and much less on clean tones. Personally I tend more for clean to slightly over driven tones when performing with the band, but when I am doing overdubs, well I need whatever the customer/producer/track requires, which is sometimes high gain tones.

Of course that doesn't mean I can't run a little send to a convolution reverb. I think there's one buried somewhere in my Native Instruments Komplete bundle. Maybe in the rarely used Guitar Rig portion?

You CAN load a cabinet and mic IR into a convolution plug in such as SPACE (in ProTools anyway) to use on your guitar track, yes.

Thanks, folks, for all the responses and taking the time to explain. I'll dig deeper and find some audio samples now. smile

I used SPACE for a while with some free cab IRs that I got from someplace, but have since gone with the REdwirez Big Box Collection. With that you get the MixIR2 plug in thrown in. You can have up to 2 different mics on the same cab and blend them as you wish and one room mic. You can also load an impedance curves of the speakers, AND Neve 1073 style EQ impulses. You can take a look at MixIR2 User Guide

You can then save the entire thing and export it as a wav file to use with....the Epsi for example or share it with someone can load IRs into a convolution plug in.

Now, all of this said, I do plan on making the Epsi part of my live rig in the very near future, based on what I have heard. Especially since I can export my Redwirze settings as wav and use them with the Epsi.

Just My $ .02

Edited by Bob (10/15/14 11:41 AM)

#41576 - 10/15/14 02:22 PM Re: What are you guys doing with IRs? [Re: Bob]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
Recabinet has a way to mix IRs, EQ, and speaker breakup and I'm thinking about making impulses through that. Even the speakers it comes with blended just right can be pretty good when you're searching for the right tone.

I like the idea of the widened IRs, when I did a reamp test, even though it was two tracks, I saved the patches with the numbers I used for those IRs and I'm really liking those two speakers. I want to use Freehaas or a good haas effect that just gives me the delayed signal to make the second IR delayed & then combine them. I just upgraded to Sonar x3, so hopefully there's a way to just split the wavs like in Pro Tools and I can mute the left one for the right side & just pan the left IR.

Or I can just make a "big" amp and pan in Recabinet with no haas effect, but wont get that signature Mark Day widened sound.

One thing that works good is the Fabfilter compressor on gentle widening. I might try that just to see if I like a more compressed & wide sound for leads or something.

So many things you can do now that you used to have to go into Pro Tools and dink around with lol

Now that I know what sounds work with IRs, I could record some Eleven Amps with the cabs & FX off and play around more and get some cool stuff.

#41577 - 10/15/14 02:34 PM Re: What are you guys doing with IRs? [Re: TLTD]
Bob Online   content
advanced member

Loc: Iowa
I often route the dry signal to one or more Aux busses with MisIR2 plug in on each Aux.

I can have as many cab, mic, Z Curves and EQ impulses as my 'puter can handle. However I have not found a need PERSONALLY to use more than three different cab configurations for each dry guitar track.

Once I am happy with that, I send each Aux to an audio track to be printed, then make the aux tracks that I used inactive.

Works well for ME that way anyhow and I don't have to split stereo tracks. I just print to mono.

Yes I looked at Recabinet. It looks good and the GUI is really cool, but at basically $100 for another $26 I got the BigBox of IRs (a couple THOUSAND IRs) plus the plug in. Hey I can even load the Ownhammer stuff in if I want to but honestly have not found the need to.

Just saying, for ME and perhaps someone else, this was the best fit. Again, Just My $ .03 (inflation ya know.)

Edited by Bob (10/15/14 02:45 PM)

#41578 - 10/15/14 03:27 PM Re: What are you guys doing with IRs? [Re: Bob]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
lol

I got Recabinet when it first came out, so got the discount. Many ways to get there. I got the big box, but only thing I liked was that 1073 IR along with them. Ownhammer already has some sounds that are better than I could ever get. HOWEVER lol...I haven't tried any Redwirez with Eleven Rack. I'd like to try what you have made if you make any custom ones from those, Bob.

#41579 - 10/15/14 03:41 PM Re: What are you guys doing with IRs? [Re: TLTD]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
i used to use 2 different cabinets in the axe-fx just like Mark Day (i even tried his presets) and the big tone was a combo of two different sounding cabs panned wide: one warm/dark cabinet and one bright cabinet. just the tonal difference between the two give a nice stereo effect.

#41593 - 10/16/14 08:47 AM Re: What are you guys doing with IRs? [Re: PatriotsBuker]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City

downrazor11, what tube amp(s) do you have that the Epsi/IRs thing is getting really close for you?

I had a peavey 6505+ (until 2 months ago) and I have a B52 AT100, both used a Randall Hammett cab with Celestion V30s at 8ohms. I have also owned an Egnater tweaker 15, a Mesa Single Rec, and the Digitech 2101 with Peavey classic 50/50 way back in the day. Most recently I was using a Zoom G9.2tt in to the clean channel of the AT100 and I was happier than I'd ever been with my rig. It was just so heavy to take places and I couldn't get the mic'd sound close enough to satisfaction. That's where the eleven rack came in, with the EPSi and OwnHammer IRs it is much better than the amp rig for tracking, records true to sound, and is so much more portable (even with an EV ZLX-12p). I also have tried the Yamaha THR10X (still own it, good for what it is) and the usb out of the G9.2tt and both were ok for recording, but not as good as the 11r + EPSi.

For the record, I am in to high gain sounds (Deftones, Karnivool, Tool) but also medium gain bluesy solo stuff (David Gilmour) and I am very happy with the versatility in overall tone that can be achieved just by changing cab IRs, I would have never believed it had such an effect on what we call the 'amp feel'. I don't do too much with clean, unless it is effected (like 'the cure' or 'u2', chorus-y delay clean) so I can't really comment on the utility for low gain players.

Edited by Downrazor11 (10/16/14 08:58 AM)
Edit Reason: Added stuff

#42238 - 12/27/14 11:03 AM Re: What are you guys doing with IRs? [Re: Downrazor11]
PatriotsBuker Offline
advanced member

I was looking back through this thread to get my bearings before hooking it up. It seems I had spaced the whole signal flow and sample rates thing. I made a big line of thought goof on running 48K sessions and having an audio generated by 44.1k as being a problem. Duh! Sorry about that one, y'all.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3