Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41258 - 09/24/14 12:22 PM Latest Sweetwater Presets
PatriotsBuker Offline
advanced member

My SW rep sent me the latest batch of pre-sets last week. My previous was 3 years old. I didn't have the Gary Hoey set. Do now. Digging them. I needed to boost Amp Out setting in preamp section on just about each one of them. As with most patches, I just need to dial a bit of EQ or whatever here and there to fit into songs better.

For you older guys like me out there, he's got a very servicable patch to cover what he did in the movie, "The Deep". Lots of good moderately heavy patches, by today's standards, and some decent patches using Fender preamps.

That's the puzzling thing. No Marshall patches, unless I missed something. I've heard him chuckle in a pod-cast interview about not being a Fender amp man. (His Surf Rock stuff would fit, though.) I've read and heard that his Fender stack has been heavily modified and geared towards a "different" sound. I think he even had a period of time where he used Marshall stacks live. Maybe it was a Fender sponsoring obligation thing keeping him from doing so when I saw him?

Anyone try these out or have others that they liked from the SW set?

#41279 - 09/25/14 07:15 AM Re: Latest Sweetwater Presets [Re: PatriotsBuker]
Bob Online   content
advanced member

Loc: Iowa
Yes. Same thing here. My SW rep emailed all the presets to-date to me last week.

I have found that I really like the stock amp models. Nothing fancy, not heavy by any means and VERY tweakable. I particularly like some of the Don Carr presets. The classic rock and rootsy. I also liked the Carl Verheyen blues and country presets. For ME these are some good starting platform presets. However, they are pretty close to many of the presets that I have already made, so not super useful to ME.

I used my frequency analyzer to compare my tweak of these with the presets that I normally use, just to see if my ears were still on, and the difference was negligible.

Anyway, there are some very good presets in there and as before some pretty unusable presets. What one needs to realize of course is that most of the early presets were designed as GEE WHIZ presets. Ya know...look what I can do kind of stuff.

Just My $ .02

#41280 - 09/25/14 07:26 AM Re: Latest Sweetwater Presets [Re: Bob]
Intelli-Shred Offline
veteran member

Last I heard Gary was favoring the Soldano in the 11R for heavy things.. he recently mentioned it on a radio thing I heard him doing and he was using the 11R in the studio that day and going on about how much he liked the tones he was able to pull from it.
Morley Endorsing Artist
Nocturne Guitars UK Endorsing Artist

#41286 - 09/25/14 01:52 PM Re: Latest Sweetwater Presets [Re: Bob]
PatriotsBuker Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: Bob
..... I also liked the Carl Verheyen blues and country presets.......

I didn't get very far with anyone else's yet, but this was next on the list and I did get a preset or two in. I forgot which one it was I spent so much time with the other morning. I thought at least most of his sounded decent on the site and made his the next ones to try.

#41287 - 09/25/14 02:16 PM Re: Latest Sweetwater Presets [Re: Intelli-Shred]
PatriotsBuker Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: Intelli-Shred
Last I heard Gary was favoring the Soldano in the 11R for heavy things.. he recently mentioned it on a radio thing I heard him doing and he was using the 11R in the studio that day and going on about how much he liked the tones he was able to pull from it.

I can see that. I can't tame it like he can, but there's some pretty heavy tones out of that trio. (I think 3?) I have the clean one as the preamp on one of my go to clean rigs for when I don't want so much of that "Twin" tone.

Speaking of Twin tone. One of his presets uses a Twin with the main volume set up at 10. Granted, I'm not a professional and have never gigged. I do, however, own a Fender Twin Reverb Re-Issue. I cannot imagine that thing set at 10. Not even with the lower input switch down. I brought it out to the deck once and set it up about half-way towards the trees and birds started dropping out of the trees. (it's a joke & exaggeration for any bird lovers reading this...)

#41292 - 09/26/14 12:36 AM Re: Latest Sweetwater Presets [Re: PatriotsBuker]
Markus Offline
advanced member

Loc: Deutschland
Is there a way to get a hold of the new Sweetwater presets if you don't have an 11R bought from them? I'd be interested in the Carl Verheyen stuff especially. PM me if you have an idea wink

#41353 - 10/02/14 11:00 AM Re: Latest Sweetwater Presets [Re: Markus]
Intelli-Shred Offline
veteran member

The Soldano.. is my number one gal.. followed by the Bogner.. I can get everything I need really just from the SLO and don't venture too far from that.. I do like the Plexi and the Black Duo..
Morley Endorsing Artist
Nocturne Guitars UK Endorsing Artist

#42398 - 01/12/15 10:04 PM Re: Latest Sweetwater Presets [Re: Markus]
rdf Offline

Hi Markus. I too am interested in the Sweetwater Presets. Did you have any luck finding them? ...Richard Fry

richard_fry@shaw.ca

#42407 - 01/14/15 08:36 AM Re: Latest Sweetwater Presets [Re: PatriotsBuker]
ven77 Offline

Loc: UK
Where can I get the latest SW presets?

#42409 - 01/14/15 09:33 AM Re: Latest Sweetwater Presets [Re: ven77]
Markus Offline
advanced member

Loc: Deutschland
no, I didn't - but since I've bought an EPSi I haven't worked with presets much, because they all would require tweaking anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >