Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41107 - 09/17/14 09:36 PM Need some help with strings
11 tRack Offline

Hello all.

Time for a change and I need some suggestions on strings. I have an EVH Wolfgang USA with Floyd Rose and d'Addario XL 9s on now. What strings would you suggest. I try to practice 2-4 days a week, sweat isn't an issue. I play mostly Rock n roll, and a little metal. Thanks

Edited by 11 tRack (09/18/14 04:51 PM)

#41113 - 09/18/14 08:05 AM Re: Need some help with strings [Re: 11 tRack]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
i use mostly ernie ball light (pink pack). but i have used just about every brand of string at one point.

money no object - i used DR strings.

#41114 - 09/18/14 08:12 AM Re: Need some help with strings [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
That's a tough one to answer because so much of a string choice is subjective.

I've used, almost exclusively for the past ~25 years, Ernie Ball Super Slinky - the RPS version when they're in stock.
RPS 9 Super Slinky

Lately, though, I've switched to the 9-46 Pure Nickel Slinky's...
Pure Nickel 9-46

I quite like them as they darken the too-bright sound on my new Strat a little bit. They also have a nice tight low end.

#41119 - 09/18/14 11:59 AM Re: Need some help with strings [Re: Marc C.]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I have been using Markley Blue Steel strings since they came out, love them!

#41120 - 09/18/14 12:11 PM Re: Need some help with strings [Re: Marc C.]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
I use Dean Markley Blue Steal since they came out maybe 20 or more years. The eights extra lights is what I mainly use for many years, though on my hollow body I had to go to custom lights which is 9 through 46 I have use that same one on a couple of my other guitars in the past few years and seem to like them they stay in tune they're very durable... I tried the cobalts and did not really care for them much as I wound up breaking one which doesn't usually happen with the blue steel. I have also had them on guitars for up to two years which I know sounds kind of ridiculous but since they don't rust very quickly or have any problems like that or lose their tone or what usually happens to most other types of strings it has been pretty good. They do cost a little more than regular strings but I believe that they are worth it. For what it's worth give a set a try sometime and I think you will like them, I know they're not for everybody but I have many years of use on these strings.

This is from their website:

Cryogenically frozen for amazing tone, sustain, and endurance. Be chill.
By now you probably know that our ingenious Blue Steel strings are cryogenically frozen with a blast of liquid nitrogen. But why would we do such a thing? By freezing our strings down to -320ºF, we tighten the molecules, minimizing microscopic gaps. This process removes transient frequencies that produce harsh highs and muddy lows, creating a more consistent string, with true tone and longer life. A method to our madness!

Made of 8% nickel-plated steel outer wrap on tinned Mandolin wire hex-core, Blue Steel strings have been top-sellers for years and are used by pros worldwide. Once you try Blue Steel strings you’ll be hooked. They feel great, ring true, are durable and long-lasting, and they just plain sound good.

#41145 - 09/19/14 01:49 PM Re: Need some help with strings [Re: jaminjimlp]
Rob Wots Offline
advanced member

Loc: Manchester UK
i use markley nickel/steel 9's at the moment but i'm going to give those blue steels a try...at the worst it's an excuse to do my zoolander face

#41148 - 09/19/14 03:20 PM Re: Need some help with strings [Re: Rob Wots]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: Rob Wots
i use markley nickel/steel 9's at the moment but i'm going to give those blue steels a try...at the worst it's an excuse to do my zoolander face

shocked shocked grin grin grin

#41151 - 09/19/14 07:25 PM Re: Need some help with strings [Re: Rushian]
Wannabe Offline
advanced member

Loc: Peoria, AZ.
I play Sfarzo strings. They just last longer.
But it depends on the guitar and the sound that I am going for. A pure nickle if I am trying to richen up or darken a sound, (my favorites are the snake-oil brand that sfarzo sells.) If I want it to last forever, the signature series. I have put years on one set waiting for them to die. But they just don't. If I want a bright and harsh sound for a typical recording, or a certain twang, or crushing with a hot pickup, I adjust accordingly. Just what I want at that time.
One cool thing about Sfarzo, is they make my own signature series string that is made up of different tension strings than usually packaged together and it doesn't cost more.
When it comes to sound, feel and what each guitar needs, there isn't one answer.

#41154 - 09/20/14 01:50 AM Re: Need some help with strings [Re: Wannabe]
AlexDinn Offline

I like the elixir,
http://www.elixirstrings.com/
they remain clean and bright a very long time, and they are soft under the fingers! Cost more though

#41163 - 09/20/14 02:53 PM Re: Need some help with strings [Re: AlexDinn]
DonaldR Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
DR tite-fit Big & Heavy (10-52)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >