Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40655 - 08/20/14 05:22 PM Rtrying to continue an idea
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
https://soundcloud.com/christian-pucciarelli/flying-high-effectscontinue

heres my try to continue and finish an idea i had,any opinion good or bad,and any suggestion is welcome,keep in mind its a raw idea and most part are registered 1st try, so judge on the idea and flow smile

ps,if anyone is wishing to add something (bass line,vocals,different drums and/or moar guitars) its welcome, im likely to collaborate on some music as i said many times wink

#40686 - 08/22/14 01:51 PM Re: Rtrying to continue an idea [Re: Christophersad]
ADF Offline
advanced member

Here are some random thoughts of mine:

Vibe is a bit reminiscent of early/mid 90's metal ballads, mainly Metallica's Nothing Else Matters and a little pit of Pantera's This Love.

There's definitely the nucleus there for a strong song. I recently caught History of The Eagles and they detailed the process of how they wrote Hotel California. Don Felder sent Don Henley and Glen Frey a cassette with a bunch of riffs and chord progressions for song ideas. One in particular (that was actually lifted from a Jethro Tull song, but that's another story wink )caught their ear, and that turned into the grandiose Hotel California.

So what you have there, like what Felder sent Henley and Frey, is a good starting point.

But where do you go from there? Vocals? Instrumental?

One thing I would strive for is giving the song a palpable sense of building. It's a bit stagnant harmonically, as the e minor - G Major goes on for quite a while before changing. Nothing wrong with that; in fact it can actually build tension for when the chords ultimately change. Just approach the eventual change of chord to D Major as a climax/point of arrival.

One way of doing this is to add one chord - an A of some sort (power chord or A7)just before the D to 'set it up.'

It would look something like this.

em / Gm / em / GM-A7

And you could get the sense of building by gradually making the texture thicker. Maybe keep just one distorted guitar when it first comes in, then double track when it gets to the D; stuff like that.

Good work!

#40687 - 08/22/14 02:57 PM Re: Rtrying to continue an idea [Re: ADF]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
Thanks, those are great advices and i agree with you in most of what you Say the big deal to me its that i find easier to finish other people tunes instead of mine...theres something wich kinda traps me into my own ideas.