Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40463 - 08/04/14 05:31 PM Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? *****
JerEvil Offline

So I have been using my headphones as until today, I had not been able to get to our drummers to grab my powered wedge.

I am using an Alto TS110A that I had been running with my RP1000. I am considering moving up to the Alto 12" or 15" instead for better low end response but we shall see. These seem to be a great "bang for the buck".

What I am wondering is first, should I get 2 wedges to take advantage of the stereo effects? I am using the 11R for a FOH rig and I'm not sure how keen sound guys will be to give me 2 inputs on the board. Second, how much benefit am I going to get going from a 10" speaker to a 12 or 15?

I have also been considering the Tech 21 Power Engine 60's.

Edited by JerEvil (08/04/14 05:38 PM)

#40464 - 08/04/14 06:35 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: JerEvil]
DaytonFlyer Offline
advanced member

I run two 12" altos behind me. I have a big Stanley tuff bin that I use to store my pedal board, cables, etc, and it's almost 2 feet high, so lately I've been running the altos vertically side by side on top of that. I like having the speakers closer to head level. I did try the 10's before buying the 12's and I just liked the 12's better.

#40465 - 08/04/14 07:21 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: DaytonFlyer]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
As far as stereo is concerned... it's cool and all that, but most P.A. systems, large ones anyway, are set up in mono. So , depending on your gig, you may or may not see much of a reason to go stereo, beyond your personal monitoring. Which might be reason enough :-)

#40466 - 08/04/14 07:24 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
i run two 12" alto's in stereo through a stereo pa system....which is cool when i use clean settings with chorus and ping pong delay. for crunch tones, the stereo effect is lost....unless you turn on a stereo chorus and go all 80's. lol

#40469 - 08/04/14 09:26 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: singtall]
dmock66 Offline
veteran member

I have a couple Alesis Alpha 112s - very similar to the Alto TS112s. I like it a lot thus far. I am fine with one. I agree - most PAs I've played on are in mono - or as Ross points out, best for the cool ping pong clean tones but lost on the gain tones.
Atomic AmpliFIRE, Avid 11R, Franklin ProDrive, Franklin F-Plex Delay, Line 6 M9

#40478 - 08/05/14 11:17 AM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: dmock66]
JerEvil Offline

THanks for the replies. Any benefits in upgrading my 10" to a 12? I know it will sound a little fuller maybe while I am referencing but I assume the effect going to FOH will not be that different. Maybe a little more low end in the patch itself?

#40481 - 08/05/14 01:00 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: JerEvil]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

While I enjoy having a great sound piped to my ears, and it does help with playing, my first priority is to make sure I sound good to the audience. Everything else is secondary.

In other words, I make my patches based on how they sound through my P.A. and not through anything else. Then I find a monitoring system that sounds good without having to change the patch at all.

It's all a matter of taste, of course, but I'm very pleased with my little Alto TS110a. Then again, I haven't yet heard a P.A.-type speaker that sounded bad with my rig.

So, I suppose if you're careful and patient enough to get things sounding just the way you like it, that sound should work through many different types of sound reinforcement. After all... the CD you play in your car should sound pretty much as good on your P.A., or through your computer monitors and so on.

#40482 - 08/05/14 01:06 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: singtall]
Intelli-Shred Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: singtall
i run two 12" alto's in stereo through a stereo pa system....which is cool when i use clean settings with chorus and ping pong delay. for crunch tones, the stereo effect is lost....unless you turn on a stereo chorus and go all 80's. lol

HEY! HEY! HEEEYYYYYY!!!!!.. don't say that like its a bad thing!
lol
Morley Endorsing Artist
Nocturne Guitars UK Endorsing Artist

#40483 - 08/05/14 01:55 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: Marc C.]
JerEvil Offline

Originally Posted By: Marc C.
While I enjoy having a great sound piped to my ears, and it does help with playing, my first priority is to make sure I sound good to the audience. Everything else is secondary.

In other words, I make my patches based on how they sound through my P.A. and not through anything else. Then I find a monitoring system that sounds good without having to change the patch at all.

It's all a matter of taste, of course, but I'm very pleased with my little Alto TS110a. Then again, I haven't yet heard a P.A.-type speaker that sounded bad with my rig.

So, I suppose if you're careful and patient enough to get things sounding just the way you like it, that sound should work through many different types of sound reinforcement. After all... the CD you play in your car should sound pretty much as good on your P.A., or through your computer monitors and so on.

Makes sense. I always run direct for the band I bought the Eleven for. I use the XLR Out on the Alto to FOH. I don't often get a lot of time to run out front and hear myself in the context of the mix with the rest of the band. I guess I should start running it throughout the PA at practice. If it sounds good there, it should sound great in the show rooms/large venues we are playing.

We do strictly corporate events here in Vegas so we get to play a lot of nice rooms.

#40491 - 08/05/14 07:33 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: Intelli-Shred]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: Intelli-Shred

HEY! HEY! HEEEYYYYYY!!!!!.. don't say that like its a bad thing!
lol

have you heard my dream clean preset? you know i'm all 80's clean for sure. lol.

#40512 - 08/06/14 02:25 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: singtall]
Lawless33 Offline

Loc: IN
Following this thread! Getting my Eleven Rack in 2 days. Currently have a Tech 21 Power Engine 60, but my church is getting me a EV ZLX-12p powered monitor soon.

Just sent some $ to singtall for those patches as well. Ready to RAWK! smile

Wes
Schecter Banshee
Eleven Rack
Atomic Amplifire with Atomic CLR
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

#40516 - 08/06/14 06:46 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: Lawless33]
singtall Offline
veteran member

if you have any requests after digging into the superpack, let me know and i'll make more presets.

thanks.

#40522 - 08/07/14 06:43 AM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: singtall]
DAR Fritz Offline
advanced member

Loc: West Michigan
I have 2 12" Alto's and always run in stereo unless there's not enough room on stage for both speakers. They work well for me.
Focusrite Pro40 FireWire Interface
Digidesign Eleven Rack

#40569 - 08/09/14 07:23 AM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: singtall]
Lawless33 Offline

if you have any requests after digging into the superpack, let me know and i'll make more presets.
thanks.

Thanks, singtall! Today is the day I'll finally get to open things up volume-wise through my Tech 21 Power Engine 60. I'm sure I'll have to use "Rig Out No Cab" to get the best sounds, but it will be a day of experimentation for sure! smile

Wes
Schecter Banshee
Eleven Rack

#40605 - 08/13/14 08:08 AM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: Lawless33]
strattman76 Offline
advanced member

Loc: indianapolis, indiana
Picked up the EV ZLX112 last night at south side guitar center. Took it to my brothers and ran his epi lp (probucker p.u. 's). Ran through a few rigs I had created. Sounds ok. Made some changes to the ev dsp. Got better. Then I scrolled over to a rig I received from super pack. Dumble drive I believe. Sounds like what I think a rock guitar needs to sound like. Like I've said before, it's like going from CRT television to high def. just awesome. Probably tweak a little. That's what we do. If I decide to keep it, I'll pick up another in a couple of months.

Also grabbed a nice 2 space (roadrunner) soft sided rack case. Has a couple of side pockets with one of them being big enough for a laptop. $100 I believe. Protects my investment.
Anyways,

Thanks Ross for the rigs. Keep it up.

Danny Strattman.

#40606 - 08/13/14 09:42 AM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: Lawless33]
rublalup Offline
advanced member

Loc: florida
Originally Posted By: Lawless33
thanks.

Thanks, singtall! Today is the day I'll finally get to open things up volume-wise through my Tech 21 Power Engine 60. I'm sure I'll have to use "Rig Out No Cab" to get the best sounds, but it will be a day of experimentation for sure! smile

Wes

I´m very happy with my power engine 60... it gives me a nice "amp" feel, serves fine as a monitor on stage and the tones traslate good to PA... And in case of not being able to go direct to FOH the amp does a nice job for small gigs on its own.

Tech 21 is a very nice company...I´m even planing on getting one of those Fly Rigs for avoiding carrying the 11R + controller to rehearsals

pd: I leave the cab sim active on the 11R... the power engine diggest it well IMO

Tech 21 crew response From TGP: "The PE has active 3 band EQ which allows you to tailor the response of the cab but does not effect the XLR out. This way you can set your Character pedal, modeler etc. to sound its best into the PA then tweak the PE to sound the way you want it without changing the direct sound. Usually with the PE I find just reducing the mids slightly and sometimes boosting the low end for a little more thump is all that is needed."

Edited by rublalup (08/13/14 09:44 AM)

#40619 - 08/15/14 02:06 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: strattman76]
Lawless33 Offline

Originally Posted By: strattman76
Picked up the EV ZLX112 last night at south side guitar center.

Let me know what you think about the EV ZLX, as that's what I'm going with as well. The one I saw said EV ZLX-12p (assuming that just means it's powered). Thanks!

Wes

Edited by Lawless33 (08/15/14 02:07 PM)
Schecter Banshee
Eleven Rack

#40620 - 08/15/14 02:48 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: Lawless33]
strattman76 Offline
advanced member

Wes,

You're correct. Zlx-12p. I got to open it up yesterday. Sounds amazing. Like said the the dumble drive sounds great. That particular rig reinforces the fact that the 11rack does a great job. The tone is in there. You just have to put in the time.

I got the zlx12p, roadrunner case and a 3 yr extended warranty for $580 out the door. I'm going to jam tonight with buddies and I think it will do just fine.
Good luck Wes.

#40621 - 08/16/14 06:54 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: strattman76]
Lawless33 Offline

Wes,

You're correct. Zlx-12p. I got to open it up yesterday. Sounds amazing. Like said the the dumble drive sounds great. That particular rig reinforces the fact that the 11rack does a great job. The tone is in there. You just have to put in the time.

I got the zlx12p, roadrunner case and a 3 yr extended warranty for $580 out the door. I'm going to jam tonight with buddies and I think it will do just fine.
Good luck Wes.

Just noticed you're in Indy. I'm just down in Bedford and work in Bloomington. Small world!:)
Schecter Banshee
Eleven Rack

#40622 - 08/16/14 09:01 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: Lawless33]
strattman76 Offline
advanced member

Nice country in southern indiana. I work in Seymour occasionally.

I played some today. The ev spkr is a game changer for me. Hope you like it.

#40623 - 08/17/14 10:09 AM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: strattman76]
Lawless33 Offline

Nice country in southern indiana. I work in Seymour occasionally.

I played some today. The ev spkr is a game changer for me. Hope you like it.

Can't wait to get it. My church is supposed to check the budget and get it. Supposedly, my worship pastor doesn't see anything keeping him from getting it, but the wait is killing me:)

Wes
Schecter Banshee
Eleven Rack

#40624 - 08/17/14 10:10 AM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: Lawless33]
Lawless33 Offline

P.S. Is there a way to get email updates when someone replies to a thread, because I'm sure not getting any notifications? smile
Schecter Banshee
Eleven Rack

#40625 - 08/17/14 01:48 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: Lawless33]
strattman76 Offline
advanced member

I don't recieve any.

#40779 - 08/31/14 04:05 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: strattman76]
Lawless33 Offline

Got the good news today that my praise & worship pastor picked up an EV ZLX-12p for me to use at church today.

So, within the last month, I've picked up the Eleven Rack, a Ground Control Pro to operate it live, and a powered monitor. It's like an early Christmas! smile

Wes
Schecter Banshee
Eleven Rack

#40781 - 08/31/14 07:25 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: Lawless33]
DonaldR Offline
advanced member

Can you please report back on the ZLX12P? I'd like to get one soon.

#40782 - 08/31/14 08:49 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: DonaldR]
strattman76 Offline
advanced member

You cannot go wrong with the zlx. They sound great with the 11. There are some dsp presets on the back. Set it to monitor. Sounds the best to me. Sounds just as good as the altos and k12's. The ev's to me just seemed to have a little more mid range focus. Can't say enough about them.

#40783 - 08/31/14 09:51 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: DonaldR]
Markus Offline
advanced member

Loc: Deutschland
Originally Posted By: DonaldR

I'd be more interested in that praise & worship pastor. I'd like to get one like that soon.
wink

#40785 - 09/01/14 07:00 AM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: Markus]
rublalup Offline
advanced member

I did a gig this weekend on a small bar. Just voices and keys went into the PA. Eleven rack general volume at 7 and the power engine at 2 o'clock... No problem blending with the band and the drummers acoustic set. Man what a sweet tone. The band sounded killer and the feeling of this little amp moving air was great... You can't get that when going direct!

Definitely the power engine is a very nice working/looking solution... As a monitor when going straight to PA or just as a great sounding amp (for the 11r)... And moving it is so easy... My 11r in its rack case is heavier. Moving to a soft case ASAP....

Edited by rublalup (09/01/14 07:02 AM)

#40790 - 09/01/14 09:58 AM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: Markus]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
Originally Posted By: Markus
Originally Posted By: DonaldR

I'd be more interested in that praise & worship pastor. I'd like to get one like that soon.
wink

ME TOO!!!

#40791 - 09/01/14 10:09 AM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: rublalup]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
Originally Posted By: rublalup

Definitely the power engine is a very nice working/looking solution... As a monitor when going straight to PA or just as a great sounding amp (for the 11r)... And moving it is so easy... My 11r in its rack case is heavier. Moving to a soft case ASAP....

hey I wanted to see what the power engine is so I looked and found this... sounds great.

#40802 - 09/02/14 08:36 AM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: jaminjimlp]
rublalup Offline
advanced member

It´s an amazing amp for the 11R... and the price is great.

#40839 - 09/04/14 05:48 AM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: rublalup]
Lawless33 Offline

My EV ZLX-12p just came in a couple of days ago at my church. This weekend, I'll have the Eleven Rack, Ground Control Pro (due in tomorrow) and the ZLX-12p and will be able to set up some patches at gigging volume. Can't wait!

Wes
Schecter Banshee
Eleven Rack

#40854 - 09/04/14 02:55 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: Lawless33]
mojah Offline

Loc: Massachsetts
I use jbl prx612m' s. Love em.. I also have the ev zlx12p's as vocal monitors.
The ev' s are scooped sounding can't flatten them out enough via dsp. Don't like them for guitar only. Sound ok with program material though. Big price difference too... Ymmv..

#40856 - 09/04/14 03:14 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: mojah]
ProfessorBen Offline
advanced member

Erm you guys gig at church??? Wow it sure sounds different than over here in Blighty. I would prob start attending if they had bands ha ha. The only places to see live music over here are pubs, and if like me you don't drink or smoke ( e cigs, traditional or jazz fags) then there is basically nowhere to play/ listen.

#40857 - 09/04/14 03:17 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: ProfessorBen]
ProfessorBen Offline
advanced member

Btw didn't mean to go off topic. I'm in the process of getting a live rig together. Floor control is now sorted next is volume!!! Anyone heard good things about Yamaha wedges??

Edited by ProfessorBen (09/04/14 03:18 PM)

#40868 - 09/05/14 08:08 AM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: ProfessorBen]
mojah Offline

Loc: Massachsetts
The Yamaha DXR series are well liked over at the gear page. The consensus was for el cheapo monitors it's hard to beat the Alto's. I took my pod hd (B4 I got the 11R) over to a big music store over here in the US and played through all they had. Stayed in the pa room for the afternoon. I liked the JBL PRX , then the QSC's tied with EV LiveX's. They did't have any Alto's or Yamaha's. I didn't like the Mackies that they had. All are 12" models. Later I bought 4 EV ZLX12P's for monitors/Mains. They are well liked too BUT I don't like the way they sound just for guitar. They have a lot of bells ect and a dsp you can adjust. It's one of those things where you have a lot of adjustments but none can fully correct the problems. There's something funny going on around 2.5K and the horn doesn't sound linear in the upper mids/lower treble. Woofy too... Scooped.. More prone to feedback than my JBL's. I like my low end tight not woofy and the top to have some air, sparkle. If you can try some out at the store and drive the sales person crazy wink Do It!!

#40869 - 09/05/14 08:22 AM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: mojah]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I've always owned passive speakers (though I've used powered speakers and monitors at gigs many times) until I purchased the little Alto TS 110A so I can't speak with much authority. That said, I tried some EV , Mackie and Yamaha models before settling on the Alto. Bear in mind I was trying mostly 10" models. I found the EV to be pleasant but not particularly punchy. The Yamaha didn't impress me overly, and the Mackie was boxy-sounding. This was for guitar only, mind you; I was not concerned about the rest of the band. wink

The Alto may not be the best speaker out there for FRFR purposes but it does sound good and has certainly worked well for me.

#41899 - 11/16/14 03:47 AM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: Marc C.]
JerEvil Offline

So far still using my Alto 10" wedge. Going to try a 12 out tomorrow and see what the difference is. Aomeone mentioned trying the 15 as it would be pretty close to what folks would hear from FOH.

#41917 - 11/17/14 07:50 AM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: JerEvil]
jlagrassa Offline

I have a pair of Alto TS112A they sound great I got a great deal on them $300 for the pair, only using one with my band its setup like a floor monitor. You would swear it was an amp if you didn't look at my setup, for larger rooms or outside gigs I will use the pair.

#41920 - 11/17/14 10:38 AM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: jlagrassa]
JerEvil Offline

Originally Posted By: jlagrassa
I have a pair of Alto TS112A they sound great I got a great deal on them $300 for the pair, only using one with my band its setup like a floor monitor. You would swear it was an amp if you didn't look at my setup, for larger rooms or outside gigs I will use the pair.
That's a nice deal for sure!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >