Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40463 - 08/04/14 05:31 PM Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? *****
JerEvil Offline

So I have been using my headphones as until today, I had not been able to get to our drummers to grab my powered wedge.

I am using an Alto TS110A that I had been running with my RP1000. I am considering moving up to the Alto 12" or 15" instead for better low end response but we shall see. These seem to be a great "bang for the buck".

What I am wondering is first, should I get 2 wedges to take advantage of the stereo effects? I am using the 11R for a FOH rig and I'm not sure how keen sound guys will be to give me 2 inputs on the board. Second, how much benefit am I going to get going from a 10" speaker to a 12 or 15?

I have also been considering the Tech 21 Power Engine 60's.

Edited by JerEvil (08/04/14 05:38 PM)

#40464 - 08/04/14 06:35 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: JerEvil]
DaytonFlyer Offline
advanced member

I run two 12" altos behind me. I have a big Stanley tuff bin that I use to store my pedal board, cables, etc, and it's almost 2 feet high, so lately I've been running the altos vertically side by side on top of that. I like having the speakers closer to head level. I did try the 10's before buying the 12's and I just liked the 12's better.

#40465 - 08/04/14 07:21 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: DaytonFlyer]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
As far as stereo is concerned... it's cool and all that, but most P.A. systems, large ones anyway, are set up in mono. So , depending on your gig, you may or may not see much of a reason to go stereo, beyond your personal monitoring. Which might be reason enough :-)

#40466 - 08/04/14 07:24 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
i run two 12" alto's in stereo through a stereo pa system....which is cool when i use clean settings with chorus and ping pong delay. for crunch tones, the stereo effect is lost....unless you turn on a stereo chorus and go all 80's. lol

#40469 - 08/04/14 09:26 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: singtall]
dmock66 Offline
veteran member

I have a couple Alesis Alpha 112s - very similar to the Alto TS112s. I like it a lot thus far. I am fine with one. I agree - most PAs I've played on are in mono - or as Ross points out, best for the cool ping pong clean tones but lost on the gain tones.
Atomic AmpliFIRE, Avid 11R, Franklin ProDrive, Franklin F-Plex Delay, Line 6 M9

#40478 - 08/05/14 11:17 AM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: dmock66]
JerEvil Offline

THanks for the replies. Any benefits in upgrading my 10" to a 12? I know it will sound a little fuller maybe while I am referencing but I assume the effect going to FOH will not be that different. Maybe a little more low end in the patch itself?

#40481 - 08/05/14 01:00 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: JerEvil]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
While I enjoy having a great sound piped to my ears, and it does help with playing, my first priority is to make sure I sound good to the audience. Everything else is secondary.

In other words, I make my patches based on how they sound through my P.A. and not through anything else. Then I find a monitoring system that sounds good without having to change the patch at all.

It's all a matter of taste, of course, but I'm very pleased with my little Alto TS110a. Then again, I haven't yet heard a P.A.-type speaker that sounded bad with my rig.

So, I suppose if you're careful and patient enough to get things sounding just the way you like it, that sound should work through many different types of sound reinforcement. After all... the CD you play in your car should sound pretty much as good on your P.A., or through your computer monitors and so on.

#40482 - 08/05/14 01:06 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: singtall]
Intelli-Shred Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: singtall
i run two 12" alto's in stereo through a stereo pa system....which is cool when i use clean settings with chorus and ping pong delay. for crunch tones, the stereo effect is lost....unless you turn on a stereo chorus and go all 80's. lol

HEY! HEY! HEEEYYYYYY!!!!!.. don't say that like its a bad thing!
lol
Morley Endorsing Artist
Nocturne Guitars UK Endorsing Artist

#40483 - 08/05/14 01:55 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: Marc C.]
JerEvil Offline

Originally Posted By: Marc C.
While I enjoy having a great sound piped to my ears, and it does help with playing, my first priority is to make sure I sound good to the audience. Everything else is secondary.

In other words, I make my patches based on how they sound through my P.A. and not through anything else. Then I find a monitoring system that sounds good without having to change the patch at all.

It's all a matter of taste, of course, but I'm very pleased with my little Alto TS110a. Then again, I haven't yet heard a P.A.-type speaker that sounded bad with my rig.

So, I suppose if you're careful and patient enough to get things sounding just the way you like it, that sound should work through many different types of sound reinforcement. After all... the CD you play in your car should sound pretty much as good on your P.A., or through your computer monitors and so on.

Makes sense. I always run direct for the band I bought the Eleven for. I use the XLR Out on the Alto to FOH. I don't often get a lot of time to run out front and hear myself in the context of the mix with the rest of the band. I guess I should start running it throughout the PA at practice. If it sounds good there, it should sound great in the show rooms/large venues we are playing.

We do strictly corporate events here in Vegas so we get to play a lot of nice rooms.

#40491 - 08/05/14 07:33 PM Re: Powered Wedges … What'r Y'all Using??? [Re: Intelli-Shred]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Intelli-Shred
Originally Posted By: singtall

HEY! HEY! HEEEYYYYYY!!!!!.. don't say that like its a bad thing!
lol

have you heard my dream clean preset? you know i'm all 80's clean for sure. lol.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >