Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40328 - 07/27/14 12:28 PM Guitar lead cord
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hey everyone - I'm looking for some high quality lead cords - think Mogami, Canare, etc. - that have less rubber on them. In other words, a thinner cable, but one that doesn't skimp on copper. I still need good signal & shielding but want thinner, lighter cables.

Any ideas?

A Google search has not proved satisfactory. And anyway I'd rather trust the people on this forum if they tell me something is good, bad, or indifferent, than a company website or Ebay page.

Thanks,
Marc C.

#40337 - 07/28/14 07:05 AM Re: Guitar lead cord [Re: Marc C.]
Bob Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa
Reverb.com has their own guitar cables for sale that are amazing for the price. $7 for a 10 ft. cable and $9 for a 20 ft. cable - shipped! Solid plugs (that do not unscrew) with 24AWG wiring, foil shielding and cloth-wrapped jacket.

There's a video of them beating the crap out of one on their website. Check them out here: http://reverb.com/shop/merch

Perhaps not lighter but damn sure less expensive.

#40339 - 07/28/14 07:21 AM Re: Guitar lead cord [Re: Bob]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Marc check out this post from me earlier this year : http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/forum/u...38918#Post38918

Can highly recommend this approach and very little rubber on the cables!

#40348 - 07/29/14 07:43 AM Re: Guitar lead cord [Re: Rushian]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Thanks for the info, Rushian. If I can't find anything here in Montreal (and it looks like I won't) I'll go the online route.

Marc C.

#40351 - 07/29/14 09:45 AM Re: Guitar lead cord [Re: Marc C.]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
monster has some cables that are thin and light and should be readily available, I think the ones I have are about a 1/4 thick, life time warranty doesn't hurt either.

not what I have, the ones I use you can't take the end off.
These are expensive though....
this is there best ones...

Monster® Studio Pro 2000 Instrument Cable

Custom Monster® connector with 24K gold contacts
Ergonomically contoured heavy-duty shell
Time Correct® Windings
Multi-Gauge high and low frequency wire networks
95% coverage copper braid and carbon-infused dielectric

Monster site link

Edited by jaminjimlp (07/29/14 09:54 AM)

#40362 - 07/29/14 03:15 PM Re: Guitar lead cord [Re: jaminjimlp]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Thanks, Jim... I'm wary of anything 'Monster' - those prices are monstrous - but you never know.

I spoke to a friend of mine who had purchased 1000 meters of audio cable. He claims it's very thin but still of high quality and thinks he may have some left. So I'll know in a day or two when I visit him.

#40382 - 07/30/14 04:03 AM Re: Guitar lead cord [Re: Marc C.]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
I can say that I have a monster power pro 3500 power conditioner and it went bad at 4 years old [smoked and popped] and they sent me a new one no questions asked, my monster cables I use for my guitar are on the low end of the scale they were only 20 bucks for the 20 ft, I've had them for well over 4 years and no problems but I do take very good care of all my equipment and when I wind up a cord it is done like it came new, I don't do the hand to elbow wrap it quick as you can style, that drives me crazy to see that done to any cord or cable. Really I never paid much attention to the quality of cords but with as much as I have spent on my equipment I probably should.

#40383 - 07/30/14 07:42 AM Re: Guitar lead cord [Re: Rushian]
dmock66 Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: Rushian
Marc check out this post from me earlier this year : http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/forum/u...38918#Post38918

Can highly recommend this approach and very little rubber on the cables!

I did this too (after reading Rushian's post). I am quite pleased with the results!
Atomic AmpliFIRE, Avid 11R, Franklin ProDrive, Franklin F-Plex Delay, Line 6 M9

#40385 - 07/30/14 08:25 AM Re: Guitar lead cord [Re: dmock66]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Jim, from your experience, Monster seems to have an excellent warranty policy so I just may look into them after all.

I also take great care with my gear and for cables I use the over/under method of wrapping them so as not kink or break them. I have several audio cables that are 20 years old or more... a couple may be thirty years old and all are still in excellent condition.

The bluejean cable page certainly made for interesting reading - I'll look into the Belden stuff, which should be available in Montreal. Thanks to everyone for the feedback... much appreciated.

#40392 - 07/30/14 11:29 AM Re: Guitar lead cord [Re: Marc C.]
DonaldR Offline
advanced member

Marc, check out Digiflex Studioflex line: Canare cables with Nuetrik connectors. I use them for years, are built in west-island and available everywhere in Montreal (Archambault, Steve's, Italmelodie, etc).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >