Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40325 - 07/27/14 11:01 AM Eleven Rack Evangelist!
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Disclaimer: Shameful thread to get some posts going on the forum!!

So, I finally managed to get my first convert to the Eleven rack a few weeks ago. Took a a year or so of preaching till he finally saw the light (heard the tone?!) wink

So have how many people have you converted??!!!!

Don't be shy now boys and girls!

#40327 - 07/27/14 12:19 PM Re: Eleven Rack Evangelist! [Re: Rushian]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I don't spend much time with musicians other than those who work for me, so no converts, but I had received a good number of compliments from those in the audience on my sound while using the 11R.

#40329 - 07/27/14 12:35 PM Re: Eleven Rack Evangelist! [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
i think i put about 5/6 on the right way,but not really converted wink

#40330 - 07/27/14 02:21 PM Re: Eleven Rack Evangelist! [Re: Christophersad]
DaytonFlyer Offline
advanced member

I don't know if the guy ever converted back, but I bought my eleven from a guy who had purchased it from sweetwater and after a few months couldn't get a tone he liked and sold it to me. Said you couldn't get good pro tones from it and was going to go back to tube a amps. A few months later I shot him an email and invited him to see my band. He watched from the back and after the first set complimented me on my tone and said "by the sound of it, I guess you didn't stick with the eleven for too long either." I told him to go look at my rig and he looked genuinely pissed off when he realized that all he heard was my 11r going straight to the board.

#40331 - 07/27/14 04:00 PM Re: Eleven Rack Evangelist! [Re: DaytonFlyer]
ADF Offline
advanced member

I sing the praises of 11R all the time; and truth be told, the longer I've had it, the more impressed I am with it.

I do, however, give the other side of the story. That newer versions of Pro Tools don't have an 11R window, even if you buy it with 11R. And though the free download is available, as we've seen at this board, it's not without problems.

These are problems I've never experienced with my original 11R, so I feel it only fair when recommending 11R, to at least let it be known that it's not really supported by its manufacturer.

I know of at least one friend that has bought 11R because of my encouragement.

#40338 - 07/28/14 07:16 AM Re: Eleven Rack Evangelist! [Re: ADF]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

ADF: I take your point and it is fair (i.e buyer beware: no support from Avid.)

I present it this way, the 11 rack is like a good piece of vintage gear, i.e No support from the manufacturer, you may need to tweak/add to it to meet your needs but it has the mojo you need!

For myself I have not migrated to Protools 11 (still using 8) as I do not have the time to do much recording (or is that the skill to make recording what I do worth while? wink ) having said that I did download the standalone editor and my overall impression was - MEH - Big Deal!

Quite frankly never had problems booting up protools when I need the editor and actually prefered 11 Hack for my purposes smile

My 'convert' picked up his 11 rack via Ebay and also got Protools 8 and has no intention of using the software for the foreseeable future and is sticking with the standalone editor. When I spoke to him last, he was almost ready to pull the trigger on an Alto purchase! So I guess he still likes what he hears!

For my money and even with Avid's complete lack of support, the 11 rack is a hard piece of gear to beat for the price and simplicity of use. On Singtall's recommendations I purchased the EPSi and the ability to run ir's and the quality of tone I am now getting has killed any GAS I had for an AXE/Kemper or otherwise (yeah right!! wink ).

Edited by Rushian (07/28/14 07:17 AM)

#40352 - 07/29/14 10:16 AM Re: Eleven Rack Evangelist! [Re: Rushian]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
I showed mine to a friend and he almost immediately got one for himself.

Still trying to convince my brother.

Edited by jaminjimlp (07/29/14 10:17 AM)

#40360 - 07/29/14 02:53 PM Re: Eleven Rack Evangelist! [Re: jaminjimlp]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

I gave up on convincing my brother, he's younger but a complete ludite!!