Page 12 of 22 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40410 - 07/31/14 08:56 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: Marc C.

P.S. Zac, I'm curious... which patch did you find on ToneCloud? Did you like it?

Not home at the moment, so I can't recall, it was in the country section, I know that, I will get back, when I get home, also bought a couple of expansion packs also &#128077;

#40532 - 08/07/14 03:24 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Steinmetzify Offline

Loc: SLC

Hey guys....FNG here. Was wondering how many of you have used the 11R and iPad modeling and how you think it compares. I've used my iPad for over a year now with an Apogee Jam, and have some really good tones dialed in...no issues with latency or anything. But....GAS, you know. I recently sold a guitar and have been wondering about direct recording solutions such as the 11R...the limitations of GarageBand is starting to get to me and I find myself wanting to use more of Reaper for clips and demos.

Would you compare it to the iPad stuff for me? Better, worse, more tube-like, better distortion, etc...I will say that I mostly play metal and some blues based rock stuff...I DO really love a good ambient intro with some cleans and delays, but the majority of my time is spent either on a 7-8 string playing brootz or on a LP doing blues rock stuff with delay. Examples:

LP rock stuff:

https://soundcloud.com/steinmetzify/mlpaugust-simpler

7 string stuff:

https://soundcloud.com/steinmetzify/ampkitsso

I'm a huge fan of 5150 tones, for both cleans with delays and the brootz....for some reason I just always seem to come back to that amp, and I'd need a good workable model/preset for that.

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm going to notice enough of a difference in tones/feel to justify the cost for the 11R, or if it'd be better to just keep using what I've got.

Anyway....figured I'd ask. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

#40535 - 08/07/14 04:05 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Steinmetzify]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
The 11R is a great piece of gear when the time is taken to get the best out of it. Singtall's Superpack of 11R presets can take you a long way down that road and I'm sure you would enjoy having one.

That said - and this may upset some people - I think the tones you can get out of Bias (and JamUp, of course) are as good as ANYTHING out there. And it's only going to get better as more amp models and effects are made available. So, really, it comes down to personal preference.

There are pros and cons to either, of course.

11R pros:
Professional gear
Solidly built (I think)
Great DAC and USB interface
Lots of input / output options
Top-notch sound when used knowledgeably

11 cons:
Large (like all such units)
Somewhat noisy (at least, mine is, anyway)
Cannot be updated beyond its current amps / effects
Is essentially an orphaned Avid product

JamUp / Bias pros:
Very affordable
Editing sounds is easy
Very small and lightweight (because only for iPad/iPhone/iPod)
Incredible tonal quality & effects
Constantly updated with new features/amps/effects
Bluetooth control possible & easy with inexpensive pedals
Choice of many interfaces - iRig X, Apogee X, Line 6 X, etc.

JamUp / Bias cons:
Battery life may be a concern using certain interfaces (those that don't charge your unit at the same time)
You need an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch - and they're not cheap
Some updates from the company have caused problems with the software and it takes time to fix (I let others 'beta test' the updates before applying them to my iUnits, so I've been OK)

Those are the things I can think of at the moment, so it comes down to you, I suppose. Can you afford the 11R (you can get them new for a very good price, these days) without hurting your budget? Would you rather be playing through a proper, pro rackmount unit? If yes to both, the 11R is for you... and I'm sure you'll like it. Despite my defection to JamUp, I'm still on these boards because of the good people here, and I'm not selling my 11R because I still like it and may use it again someday.

#40537 - 08/07/14 04:19 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Steinmetzify Offline

Thanks for the reply man. So you're saying the 11R isn't leaps and bounds better tonally than the iPad stuff? Mostly that's what I'm concerned about...it'd be nice to go back to Reaper as a DAW as well, but not really necessary for what I do.

I was just wondering about it...I've heard great tones and if they were miles ahead of JamUp I'd jump on board just for different stuff but if not then I guess I'll stick with the iPad. You just saved me $300+. Thanks man...much appreciated.

#40538 - 08/07/14 05:05 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Steinmetzify]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I think it's purely a matter of opinion - not something right or wrong. My opinion is that the 11R is great but not better than JamUp or Bias. I also think it is certainly leaps and bounds above other iOS amp modelers. Amplitube, for instance, is pretty damned good on the desktop but sounds horrendous on the iPad... and I'm not sure why.

#40539 - 08/07/14 05:09 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Just for giggles, I recorded a few short snippets using JamUp on the iPad... The usual excuses apply : I wasn't warmed up, my strings are old and dead, and, oh yeah, I'm not an awesome player.

But take it for what it's worth...

http://www.proudproductions.com/JamUp-samples.mp3

P.S. No post-recording editing was used... I just normalized the track and shortened the spaces in between snippets.

Edited by Marc C. (08/07/14 05:10 PM)

#40540 - 08/07/14 05:26 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
do you already own an ipad/iphone?
do you need a soundcard to play with pc?
do ypu like plug n play?
if you said yes to 2 of this then i would consider the 11r,the best advice i can give you its to go to a shop and try it if you can wink

#40541 - 08/07/14 06:03 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Steinmetzify Offline

Yeah, I've been playing pretty much exclusively on an iPad for over a year now. I've got it dialed in pretty well and dig the tones, was just wondering if the 11R was an order of magnitude better. I guess for that I'd have to go all the way to an Axe II.

#40542 - 08/07/14 06:41 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Steinmetzify]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
Mhh i think you should be surprised comparing the raw amps of those 2 units smile

#40543 - 08/07/14 07:05 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Steinmetzify Offline

Which two? JamUp and 11R or the 11R and the Axe?

Page 12 of 22 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 22 >