Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#4028 - 01/13/11 01:26 PM Re: Eleven Rack Expansion Pack out March 2011 [Re: mikefont]
budgemeister Offline

Originally Posted By: mikefont
I'm also interested to hear the Plexiglas Vari (based on the 1967 Marshall Super Lead "Plexi"* head with Variac modification), to see if it dials in better EVH tones!

My thinking exactly - this jumped out at me like a rat out of an aquaduct!

#4030 - 01/13/11 02:08 PM Re: Eleven Rack Expansion Pack out March 2011 [Re: budgemeister]
fayser1 Offline

Loc: IE
Can someone explain to me why the parametric eq is so revered (say versus a graphic eq?).. what can you do with a parametric eq (sounds to me like one of those little gems that only those in the know how to deal with or use)?
Thanks

#4031 - 01/13/11 02:21 PM Re: Eleven Rack Expansion Pack out March 2011 [Re: fayser1]
roliver5150 Offline

There's a really good explanation in this thread:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/121702-graphic-eq-parametric-eq-pedals.html

In my (albeit limited) experience, a parametric eq is good to boost/manipulate frequencies to alter gain for fairly dirty sounds. Certain metal guys in the 80s used the furman PQ4 as the foundation for their dirty sound. Guys like John Albani who played with Lee Aaron, and the guys in Styper (not 100% certain that's what's used, but the rhythm guitars on Soldiers under command have that PQ4 kind of snarl) come to mind.

Cheers,

Ron

#4033 - 01/13/11 03:37 PM Re: Eleven Rack Expansion Pack out March 2011 [Re: roliver5150]
BobTheDog Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Para EQs offer more tweakability than than graphic EQs.

The frequency of each band and also the Q (shape width) can be set.

There are different shapes you can use, one is called "Bell" because the shape looks like a bell, lets say you have hum at 50 (or 60) hz, with a para EQ Bell band you could set the frequency at 50hz and dial in a very narrow Q with negative gain to basically just cut out that frequency and remove the hum.

By widening the "Q" we make the Bell shape fatter so it affects a wider frequency range.

Using a Para EQ you can finely adjust your frequencies, they are extremely useful.

There are also other shapes, this is nice little intro: http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/production/how-to-use-a-parametric-equalizer/

Cheers

Andy

Edited by BobTheDog (01/13/11 03:38 PM)

#4034 - 01/13/11 03:43 PM Re: Eleven Rack Expansion Pack out March 2011 [Re: BobTheDog]
Jimification Offline
advanced member

Fantastic News! I think that's an awesome package of stuff for $99! I love the Eleven as it is, can't wait for all this extra stuff! Nice going guys smile

As above - The 11 Plexi already does a pretty sweet VH job - can't wait to hear what that plexi variac will do smile

#4042 - 01/13/11 06:21 PM Re: Eleven Rack Expansion Pack out March 2011 [Re: fayser1]
mikefont Offline
veteran member

Loc: H-Town
Originally Posted By: fayser1
Can someone explain to me why the parametric eq is so revered (say versus a graphic eq?).. what can you do with a parametric eq (sounds to me like one of those little gems that only those in the know how to deal with or use)?
Thanks

Yeah, what they said!
Another way to look at it is this...a graphic EQ makes broad adjustments over a set frequency range, where a parametric EQ can target a much narrower frequency to really isolate the frequency you want to accentuate or eliminate.

There is also a wiki on parametric EQ's HERE.

Edited by mikefont (01/13/11 06:22 PM)

#4051 - 01/13/11 08:13 PM Re: Eleven Rack Expansion Pack out March 2011 [Re: Jimification]
HardAttack Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: Jimification
Fantastic News! I think that's an awesome package of stuff for $99! I love the Eleven as it is, can't wait for all this extra stuff! Nice going guys smile

This is in no way a jab at Jimificaion.

This is fantastic news. Just think, 4 or 5 more updates and I could of had an AxeFX, or should we look at it as 4 or 5 more years? It took Avid over a year to drop an update that justified the title "upgrade". Not even an upgrade. An expansion pack. Anything else was just a patch.

Now I have to update three Avid products going forward. My Pro Tools 9, The Eleven Rack Firmware, and now this expansion pack. Keep it simple stupid! I'm just saying.. frown

#4053 - 01/13/11 09:19 PM Re: Eleven Rack Expansion Pack out March 2011 [Re: ]
0dannyboy Offline
advanced member

After owning alot of stuff and gassing out over the past years 11 rack is another one of those "creative" products thats made me pause and just play . It sounds musical to my ears. I do know of other stuff that would sound even better but at some point one must just play... right? This "point" is great for me. So for 100 bucks, I can act like I did'nt buy another amp modeller but I get new stuff, it all fits in my home studio software Pro Tools and I can go play it live too. thats pretty kewl wink
There's always gonna be another tone to chase for another couple hundred scratch I just cant come up with at the moment, so keeping me happy for 100 bucks for another couple years is worth it for me. Free update would have been better though guys.

#4058 - 01/13/11 10:17 PM Re: Eleven Rack Expansion Pack out March 2011 [Re: 0dannyboy]
roliver5150 Offline

One of the big things that I think tends to get overlooked in the comparison to the Ax FX is that the Eleven rack is more than just a modeler, it's also a Pro-Tools interface, that also just happens to ship with the Pro-Tools software included...So for me if I was doing a dollar to dollar comparison even to the Axe Standard, I can't get too bent out of shape about the Eleven having fewer amp models or lacking a couple of the other bells and whistles. This is just my way of thinking, but I think the recording interface makes it a different beast altogether, and personally for me, there's a little extra value in that which allows me to overlook the things it's missing compared to even the $1500 dollar Axe Standard...The eleven has greatly simplified the home recording thing for me, something I never would have gotten around to if I'd had to figure out how to do it with a more complex piece of gear. Yeah, free would be great, but the fact that there are going to be updates I can buy for $100 dollars or thereabouts are just gravy from my perspective.

#4059 - 01/13/11 10:41 PM Re: Eleven Rack Expansion Pack out March 2011 [Re: roliver5150]
Red Offline
advanced member

Damn, this is great news!!

The stereo delay and parametric EQ are HUGELY IMPORTANT to me.

One thing about the para that is important is by using very narrow notch settings, you can eliminate some of the "fizziness" inherent in digital emulation of distortion. It is an extremely useful method for ultra high gain sounds!

Check out:

http://www.futureguitarnow.com/forum/index.php?topic=1370.0

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >