Page 8 of 18 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40649 - 08/20/14 11:49 AM Re: Logidy Epsi C review ***** [Re: Rushian]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
i have a handful of IR's that i like out of the 100's of Ownhammer IR's i bought. the way i work it is to pick an IR of a particular speaker type (like Scumback H75) and load every version of it, then i dial up an amp with the first one and scroll them while tweaking on the amp until i find one or two magic IR's that just sound great to me. then i make note of which ones those are and rename them to move them to the start of my presets in the Epsi.

i have really 3-5 IR's that just work great with any amp i throw at them, and some work better than others. for example: Scumback M75 sounds great for rock-n-roll, H75 sounds better for metal, V30 works better for M2 amp model (because the amp is so scooped that it needs some midrange in the speaker).

and i find that the studio vintage mic mixes are my favorites over the modern live mixes. i think it's easier to start with a balanced midrange speaker, then dial in more highs if needed, than to start with too much highs and your ears get fried before you can dial it in right.

anybody that buys the Ownhammer modern mix, tell me your favorites.

#40651 - 08/20/14 04:45 PM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: 68injunhed]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: 68injunhed
Originally Posted By: Rushian
Nice Deal! So far only negative I have found is that you have to give up the effects loop (i.e effect loop has to go after amp. Small price for the improvement in sound.

That's a deal breaker for me then, I have a Vox DelayLab in the loop, and I'm not willing to give it up.

cant you go 11r send ->vox delay-> vox selay out-->epsi in-->epsi out-->11r return ???

Edited by Christophersad (08/20/14 04:46 PM)

#40652 - 08/20/14 05:01 PM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: Christophersad]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: Christophersad
cant you go 11r send ->vox delay-> vox selay out-->epsi in-->epsi out-->11r return ???

Yes but EPSi needs to go after the Amp Block as it is modeling Speakers/Cab/Microphone

#40653 - 08/20/14 05:04 PM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: Rushian]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA
To be a little clearer you have to insert any effects after the Amp. This may be OK for Delay/Reverb, but may/is an issue for distortion/pitch/flange/phase type effects.

#40654 - 08/20/14 05:14 PM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: Rushian]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

yea but in his case he was talking about delay wink

#40658 - 08/20/14 09:32 PM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: Christophersad]
68injunhed Offline
advanced member

Loc: SE Kansas
Anyone want to try a delay in the loop with the Epsi?

#40664 - 08/21/14 02:48 AM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: Rushian]
Markus Offline
advanced member

Loc: Deutschland
Here's how I think a comparison would make sense:
- play something with a looper so you can repeat the identical guitar signal
- demonstrate the sound with the EPSi
- demonstrate the sound with the built-in speaker sim WITHOUT EQ
- then with the EQ used to tweak the speaker sim as good as possible

This would make clear how close you can get with the built-in stuff. And then I could easily decide if I think the difference that remains is worth the effort.
I know this involves quite some work - and of course I cannot urge anyone to do it. It's just that the EPSi isn't available in Germany, so I would have to order one from the US and not be able to give it back. And that is a risk if I don't know how much improvement it'll bring.
So if anybody would be willing to make a demo (soundcloud would do as well as video), I would be more than thankful!

#40665 - 08/21/14 05:27 AM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: Markus]
noguud Offline
advanced member

Loc: FL
These experiments can be run without the EPSI as well, if you want to know if it will work for your needs prior to purchase.

Just re-amp into your DAW with the cab in the 11R disabled, and use an IR loader in your DAW to record. There are some free ones out there I'm pretty sure. The reverb plug-in that is included with Reaper has had the capability for a long time for you to load your own IR (cab model or reverb/room model), so if you have Reaper (which is dirt cheap BTW) you can run this experiment.

#40666 - 08/21/14 05:45 AM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: noguud]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: noguud
These experiments can be run without the EPSI as well, if you want to know if it will work for your needs prior to purchase.

Just re-amp into your DAW with the cab in the 11R disabled, and use an IR loader in your DAW to record. There are some free ones out there I'm pretty sure. The reverb plug-in that is included with Reaper has had the capability for a long time for you to load your own IR (cab model or reverb/room model), so if you have Reaper (which is dirt cheap BTW) you can run this experiment.

+1

#40667 - 08/21/14 07:38 AM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: Christophersad]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
+1

Page 8 of 18 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 18 >