Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39978 - 06/29/14 04:52 PM Re: Logidy Epsi C review ***** [Re: singtall]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
the other thing i learned is that the eleven rack cabs are workable. granted i had to use an eq to "fix" and eleven rack cab, it WAS possible. you don't have to use an Epsi to get a good tone, but it does offer some good options.

#39998 - 07/01/14 09:27 AM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: singtall]
AlexDinn Offline

Hi!
Singtall, did you test the epsi with some other high gain presets on the eleven rack?
There is often some fizz with some amp-cab-mic combination when the gain is high.
I'm very interested in this little box!

#39999 - 07/01/14 04:41 PM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: AlexDinn]
singtall Offline
veteran member

with the Epsi, there are only cabs that you want, with no fizz. you could load a fizzy cab if you wanted to, but none in there by default.

the default cabs are more mids heavy with zero fizz. the cab i loaded (that you can hear in the clip) actually has a little fizz or high end, but it's not obnoxious.

you are correct, there are certain eleven rack cab/mic combos that will fry your ears. i tried to dial all of that fizz on on the superpack presets.

#40000 - 07/01/14 09:58 PM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: singtall]
singtall Offline
veteran member

the following presets represents over 3 hours of my time to try to get a preset to sound very close to the eleven rack with Epsi. the cab sim/mic/eq curve i chose is about the best i can do without using a second eq that i normally reserve for pre-amp model use.

hopefully you guys will enjoy this preset:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5622773/Scumback%2075.tfx

try changing the amp model to another amp to see which amps sound best through that speaker setup. i find that low/mid gain amps with plenty of mids works the best.

#40023 - 07/03/14 12:33 AM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: singtall]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
Have you tried coming out of the 11r 1/4" amp out puts to the Epsi C the to the amp or guitar to Epsi to 11r to amp?

Sounds good so far but will wait before jumping in.

I wonder what my MXR FullBore Metal petal to Epsi to direct box to the church pa would sound like.

Try it with bias please and let us know how it is, and would the Epsi be any hope for the GNX4? Still don't know what to do with that thing. LoL

#40026 - 07/03/14 07:42 AM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: jaminjimlp]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA
So Singtall

The $200 question for all of us with major EPSI GAS is: Would say this adds significantly to improving the tone of the 11 Rack? (for the sake of this question lets exclude all other gear) i.e is the EPSI a must have purchase for an 11 rack owner?

or

As you demonstrated in your last set of presets, no, because with a little work the orange box can get you to the same point?

I thought this would be an important question for all of us hiding a couple of Benjamins (or planning on selling our homes smirk coughXcough!! smirk smirk ) for covert gear purchases from our significant others wink wink whistle smirk

(What that old thing? Oh I've had that forever, I think it was given to me at my baby shower...whistle whistle)

#40030 - 07/03/14 08:18 AM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: Rushian]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i set out to answer that question for myself the other day when i made that preset.

it took me about 3 hours to come up with that preset. while it is a close approximation, it's not perfectly on the money. the Epsi tone is a bit more focused and has a thicker single note feel. i would pick the Epsi tone over the preset i made. if i took the pre-eq and placed it after the amp, i'm sure i could get the tone much closer....but then i lose my front end shaping and the amp feels like crap again.

i tweak the eleven rack as a part time job, and i still can't get the tone perfectly there. the Epsi is just plain easy to get good tone from. for $218 i got the Epsi and 500 professional IR's made in a studio. it's a no-brainer for me.

the Epsi is well worth the money to me. i play every day now because i have a "REAL" rig tone at my fingertips. i liked the eleven rack before, and i like it even better now. but that's my experience. i have tweaked so much because i was never 100% happy with any one preset for very long.

the tone i have now was the same tone i had with the axe-fx II, and it took me a long time to get there with the axe-fx.

IR is everything my friend.

#40031 - 07/03/14 10:23 AM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: singtall]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

OK Ross I think you have convinced me cool Its about time I purchased another piece of gear I do not have time to use! grin Well who do you think keeps the US economy ticking over!!! grin grin

#40035 - 07/03/14 03:04 PM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: Rushian]
dmock66 Offline
veteran member

I would say it is definitely worth the $$$.

I don't have the EPSi - but I have a 2 Notes Torpedo - which I've loaded the same IR package into and am using it the same way as Ross is.

I downsized to a Zoom G3X (looooooong story) as my primary modeler. My rig is:

guitar -> G3X -> Torpedo -> M9 -> PA

I am using the G3X for a wah, drive pedal and amp model. The Torpedo is using the same IR Ross is talking about. M9 for effects/lead boost.

Before the IR - I was pulling EQs from wherever I could - a couple in the Zoom (pre and post amp model) and from the Torpedo (it has a five band graphic EQ) in attempt to dial the tone in - always tweaking, adjusting, never quite getting there.

Since the IR - I just play. No EQ except the amp model tone stack - and it just sounds/feels/responds like my rig back in the tube amp days. There are several that have risen to the top of my "favorites" list. They take all the guess work out of it. It's easy... pick a speaker cab that you might have selected in a real cabinet - match up the preamp - and get back to playing rather than tweaking.

Actually, I do still tweak - but now to get greater breadth of presets. I dialed in a dozen or so - and even with the "do they still sound good the next day, and the day after, and the day after" smoke test - still makin me smile!

For me - if I didn't have the 2 Notes Torpedo CAB I would definitely get the EPSi - and the Ownhamer IR pack (or whoever your favorite IR provider is).

Just my $.02 worth... but I was really surprised... pleasantly so.
Atomic AmpliFIRE, Avid 11R, Franklin ProDrive, Franklin F-Plex Delay, Line 6 M9

#40036 - 07/03/14 04:00 PM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: dmock66]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

You had me at as good as an AXE-FX! I ordered it about 30 minutes after reading Ross's post!! grin What can I say I can resist anything but temptation and I have been eyeing the EPSi for a while and just need a gentle push! !!

Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 ... 17 18 >