Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41200 - 09/22/14 09:29 AM Re: Logidy Epsi C review ***** [Re: strattman76]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
Originally Posted By: strattman76
If I can ask a couple of q's....

1) is the ver c epsi that much of an improvement in the tonal characteristics of the 11r (or any other modeler) that makes $200 + $30-50 for 3rd party ir's worth it?

I was skeptical about this as well. One of my concerns was dropping $200 on another magic box, and to make things more difficult it seems too expensive for what it is. I mean it is well built and all but 1)I have more need for preset changes (up,down) than I do for a bypass switch (I will NEVER USE the bypass), and 2) as Singtall already mentioned, it really needs a clipping signal. So I am basically paying $200 for a product that needs to be revised, not to mention the parts of the unit probably cost $30-$50 to actually make. I can appreciate the cost as paying for the intellectual-development of the zero-latency cab IR path, but for its limitation for my need, only just barely. Plus, I really think Logidy should work out a deal to distribute Ownhammer IRs with their product, the ownhammer mixes are the real shining star here. With that said, I can't think of a scenario where I wouldn't be really disappointed if I had to play without it. It is awesome what it can do with just a pedal in front of it (check the video if you haven't already). I guess it's like buying a sports car and realizing there are still a couple important things you could do to make it a true performance machine, these extra things would be like good FRFR, the EPSi, and the Ownhammer Modern or Vintage mix IRs.

Originally Posted By: strattman76
2) is this strictly a recorded tone thing or does this play well with frfr's?

It sounds awesome with both my EV ZLX-12P and my friend's Behringer B212D as well as on my Tannoy studio monitors.. It really does a wonderful thing.

Edited by Downrazor11 (09/22/14 10:10 AM)

#41201 - 09/22/14 10:06 AM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: Downrazor11]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
i spoke with the manufacturer and they are working on a firmware update to allow a clip light or word to help get the send/return set easily.

i asked about midi switching, but that would bring the price way up near the two notes torpedo...so that's a no go for now.

the unit was originally designed for reverb, but many of us asked for them to make a version for guitar IR loading...and they did.

with the right IR, you can approach axe-fx II tone using the 11R...for that i am thankful.

live; i use one IR for 4 different presets that cover most of what i do.

#41202 - 09/22/14 10:35 AM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: singtall]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

I understand and I am, for the most part, ok with the design limitations. In practice though, I find myself switching among IRs more than my 11r presets to get a particular feel within a song. To put it another way, I would rather my FCB1010 control the EPSi than the 11r (for most situations), though I know how unrealistic it would be to swap cabs in the real world (but otoh how realistic is it to swap amps in the real world, yet that's what we expect). I still think from a cost-per-unit standpoint this thing is way overpriced. I know adding 2 more buttons (for up,down and not necessarily midi) would be an added design and implementation cost and may require a larger enclosure but what is the $200 really paying for? I don't use the IR they send so that might be a hidden charge of $20 (to put on par with Ownhammer). Don't get me wrong, I would rather have the product in its current state than not at all but it is far from ideal..

#41203 - 09/22/14 10:38 AM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: Downrazor11]
strattman76 Offline
advanced member

Loc: indianapolis, indiana
Thanks for the quick reply. I too have the zlx. Everything sounds just fine with what I have so far. And I don't have the jack to drop on a $1500+ amp modeller that already loads different responses. But if It makes a noticeable difference in sound quality, it just seems a small price to pay to improve on the 11. They are almost giving these things away. Mine was $400 new with no pt almost two yrs ago. My interest is sparked by what I read on the interwebs about how great the amp sims on most midrange modellers. Seems the weak link is in the cab sims on most. Mainly stuff I've read on this thread.
Thanks again.
Danny.

#41204 - 09/22/14 10:39 AM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: singtall]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: singtall
i spoke with the manufacturer and they are working on a firmware update to allow a clip light or word to help get the send/return set easily.

This is good to know! This is to add the functionality to the units already sold? Or would they implement it in the next gen of hardware?

#41227 - 09/23/14 11:09 AM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: Downrazor11]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
It's currently the cheapest solution and IRs & reverb take more processing than anything, so I'm sure the processor isn't cheap. I'm definitely getting one. I got about 5 goto IRs and can tell which ones they are by listening. Buying Ownhammer IRs, you have to do that even if you have a $2000 Axe FX II preloaded with the best IRs. They're worth it, they put a lot of hard work into them. Like Singtall said, this is basically the upgrade method from Eleven Rack to an Axe FX for a couple hundred bucks vs. a couple thousand. There's free IRs on the Andy Sneap forums all the time too. http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline-414/

#41229 - 09/23/14 12:55 PM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: TLTD]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
the clip light would be a firmware update is what he told me.

$199 for the Epsi is cheap compared to the competition. and you can't buy a real world cabinet and good mics for that amount either. it has a fast processor to do what it does, which costs money. the other thing is that this whole deal is done by one guy at his house for the most part. his cost per unit is still up there because he doesn't have the money or facilities to mass produce it yet.

i believe that you will only see a cheaper unit when Behringer decides to rip off the design. lol.

#41234 - 09/23/14 03:22 PM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: singtall]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Sorry, but $200 for the unit is a complete steal!

Just look at any guitar magazine and you can drop $200+ for a 'boutique' fuzz or distortion pedal that has a heck of a lot less development/technology going on in it IMHO.

The fact that the owner of EPSi responds to and follows up on the 'updates/upgrades' that are demanded from the users, which take manhours and effort to develop, is incredible!

As I have said before I am a small business owner and I can safely say that the profits from the EPSi unit are not making anybody a 'rich fat cat'.

For arguments sake, lets say cost of parts is approx $60, I am guessing it takes at least 2 hours @ $50/hour (considering a plumber costs $80-$90/hr that is a low ball) to put one of these together (I'm being optimistic!), total cost is ~ $110 to produce. Now you have to include costs for packaging, advertising, utilities, liability insurance, taxes, etc, believe me there won't be much left out of the $90 'profit' I estimated!

Apologies for getting on my Soap box, but this kind of stuff gets to me!!

#41236 - 09/23/14 03:46 PM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: Rushian]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

You do have a good point. Like I said, it was worth it, obviously, because I bought it at that price. I was putting it in the same perspective of what my dollar buys with something like a Zoom G3, or the 11r even. I feel that the product does something unique, but other products I own may give me better value for my dollar, especially if it is missing some features for the cab IR application.

You are completely correct in that it is totally cool that the developer has adapted the product to accommodate a different purpose than was originally intended. That is awesome without question.

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, just adding a little perspective to the sound shaping ability my dollar could possibly buy. I would buy it again if it were stolen, but I still wish it had different features or were cheaper..

Edited by Downrazor11 (09/23/14 03:48 PM)

#41238 - 09/23/14 03:51 PM Re: Logidy Epsi C review [Re: Downrazor11]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA
No offence intended or taken Downrazor11 smile

My point was to say you can't compare 'boutique' to mass produced. The economics just don't work! But I got onto my soapbox rant and then things got sidetracked and ugly... shocked shocked

No worries normal programing has been resumed smile

Page 12 of 18 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17 18 >