Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39206 - 04/23/14 03:19 AM Programming Behringer FCB 1010 without any special Eprom
Highwaystar79 Offline

Hi,

I recently bought the Eleven Rack and a Behringer FCB 1010. It was initially extremely frustrating to find out that programming the FCB 1010 with Eleven Rack is not that simple. Through some research i figured out that its not as difficult as these Eprom selling companies are portraying and i thought i will share how i have been able to successfully program my FCB 1010 to work perfectly with my Eleven Rack.

You first need ti understand that FCB 1010 or any midi controller can send two basic types of midi messages to your Eleven Rack. One is program change which will help you change patches or rigs and the other is Controller Change which will help you change or toggle between various effects like DIst, FX & Mod Etc.

The first step you need to take is to connect the midi cable from the Midi out of the FCB 1010 to the Midi in of the Eleven Rack. Now you need to set the Midi Channel (there are 16 available channels and both your FCB 1010 and Eleven Rack need to be using the same Midi Channel to be able to communicate.

To set the MIDI channel on your FCB1010, do the following:

If FCB1010 is turned on, turn it off
Press and hold the Down button while you turn on the FCB1010. Keep holding it down for about 5 seconds. When you see the small green light come on, release the button
Press the UP button once. The green light will have changed to the MIDI Function selection.
Press the 1 button. The 1 button LED and green light will begin to blink. The display will change to show you the current MIDI channel for PC command.
Press the UP button once. The green light will move to MIDI Chann and the display digit will begin to blink.
Press the 0 button and then the 1 button. This will change it to MIDI channel 1. The display should now show 01.
Press the UP button once. The green light will move to the MIDI Config selection.
Now press and hold the Down button for about 5 seconds. The display will change to 00.

Now to program your first patch change or rig change on Eleven Rack

Press the 1 button (you are doing this to select the FCB 1010's patch in bank 00)
Press and hold the Down button on the FCB1010 for about 5 seconds. This puts the FCB1010 in programming mode for preset 1.
Press the UP button once (this is to confirm you want to program the FCB1010)
Usually one or more buttons will now have their LEDs on. The green light will be at select.(these buttons that are lit assign various midi messages to be sent the most important as mentioned earlier are program change and controller change messages. You can assign upto five program change and two controller change messages to each preset)
If the 1 LED is not on, press and hold the 1 button until the LED comes on.
Press the 1 button again, and it should begin to blink.
Press the UP button once. The display should begin to blink showing the current Program Change command.
Press the 0 button. Press the 1 button.
Press the UP button once.
Now press and hold the Down button for about 5 seconds.
You have now programmed the 1 button to send a PC command of 01 on MIDI channel 1 to your Eleven Rack. This means your preset 1 button will select the Patch A1 on you Eleven Rack when pressed. You can repeat the above process with preset 2 on FCB 1010 and this time program change message should be 02 instead of 01 to switch to Patch A2. You can do this process for the first four presets on Eleven Rack and each time Program Change number will change accordingly. If you desire you can program all the FCB 1010 buttons to change patches on Eleven Rack but some of you might want a different setup like switching the tuner on and being able to switch individual effects within a patch.
I will explain that process some time later today as i have to rush now. I will soon try to do a video of the same too so that it becomes easy for everyone.

#39213 - 04/23/14 09:05 AM Re: Programming Behringer FCB 1010 without any special Eprom [Re: Highwaystar79]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I don't have the 1010 but if I did I think I'd be very grateful to you for posting this...

BTW, welcome to the forum!

#39224 - 04/24/14 01:18 PM Re: Programming Behringer FCB 1010 without any special Eprom [Re: Marc C.]
Highwaystar79 Offline

Thankyou:) i see a lot of people are not able to program the FCB 1010 (which is a very capable midi controller btw). so i thought i will make this Eleven Rack specefic instruction set. Will be doing a video soon to help fellow ER users smile