Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38961 - 04/08/14 09:00 AM need some help with guitarist suggestions
drsts Offline
advanced member

Loc: maryville, tn
at the point where i am getting pretty quick with learning solos via tab or video. my ear isn't great and don't know that it will get better at my age. anyway, ace frehley stuff is pretty comfortable and i would like some suggestions of other guitarists that solo a bit like ace. angus young gets a little bit quick for my level right now and same with jimmy page. would really like some suggestions that may help in my development. thanks

#38962 - 04/08/14 10:15 AM Re: need some help with guitarist suggestions [Re: drsts]
stevesilk51 Offline

Loc: Kent, UK
Give Paul Kossoff(Free)a try.
Quite old stuff but straightforward.
Vox ad120vth stereo head (11rack through effects returns)
2 2x12 Celestion Greeback cabs
Yamaha Stagepas 300 used as studio monitor rig

#38963 - 04/08/14 10:22 AM Re: need some help with guitarist suggestions [Re: drsts]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
jake e lee, randy roads both play some of the same licks as page but both have a different twist or flavor or execution of the same licks and it makes it sound very different johnny winter as well... hope I explained it well, and frank marino (you knew that was coming) is way faster but allot of the same licks, it's that bluesy style of the minor pantatonic/mixolidian scales [I think]

#39096 - 04/15/14 11:06 AM Re: need some help with guitarist suggestions [Re: jaminjimlp]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
Given the description of what you are going for, I'd say Paul Gilbert Intense Rock II is worth a watch as it's all decent rock & roll advice. One of my favorites in that kind of style is Dave "Snake" Sabo (Skid Row), although I never really learned a lot of his solos or anything. Tim Kelly (Slaughter) was very melodic and sweet sounding vibrato, but very good to pay attention to those nuances like that.

I learned a lot of Johnny Winter from tabs a while back & was really good phrasing too. Everyone's got something that you can add to your lick library.

#39100 - 04/15/14 01:24 PM Re: need some help with guitarist suggestions [Re: TLTD]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
some clapton (leyla/sunshine of your love),Neil Young - (Rockin' In The Free World),gary moore (still got the blues intro) the always green ritchie blackmore (smoke on the water) aNDF MANY MORE TO COME wink

#39103 - 04/16/14 04:11 AM Re: need some help with guitarist suggestions [Re: Christophersad]
Rob Wots Offline
advanced member

Loc: Manchester UK
just play the the angus young and jimmy page songs slower