Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38902 - 04/02/14 10:04 PM remixed one of my old songs.
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
this is an old song from 1995 or so that i played guitar and sang on. i remixed it just for fun. it was originally recorded on an 8 track reel-to-reel. all drums were recorded in stereo down to 2 tracks.....talk about committing to a mix!

the guitars were tracked direct through a rocktron chameleon that i tweaked a bunch. you can probably tell that i have had pretty much the same tone for many years, no matter what gear i played through.

the vocal was mic'd with a Shure sm57, no special outboard gear.

the whole song was done live in our practice room. i added an extra guitar track and background vocal track later. we were fairly tight as a three piece band. my lead was off the top of my head (in one take) which means it was sloppy. oh well, that was then, and i don't know what i was thinking back then. i was all about what we could pull off live without anybody extra or any tracks running in the background. boy was i wrong about where the future was going.

https://soundcloud.com/singtall/purple-heart-who-cares

#38903 - 04/03/14 06:41 AM Re: remixed one of my old songs. [Re: singtall]
PatriotsBuker Offline
advanced member

Sounds good! Man, 19 years. I hate what I mixed 19 weeks ago. I can't imagine 19 years' worth of "I should have done...." type of thoughts when listening.

#38904 - 04/03/14 09:44 AM Re: remixed one of my old songs. [Re: singtall]
sax Offline
advanced member

good stuff man, love the mix and tune. I recently did the same thing with a song idea from about12 or 13 years ago. I originally used a Fostex analog 4 track! I like digging old things up and working on them with today's technology.

saxon j

#38905 - 04/03/14 12:57 PM Re: remixed one of my old songs. [Re: sax]
singtall Offline
veteran member

this band was christian metal. it was a hard road. clubs didn't want us because we didn't pimp alcohol, and churches thought we were too loud and God wasn't in metal music.

#38909 - 04/03/14 04:44 PM Re: remixed one of my old songs. [Re: singtall]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

So Analog, so warm sounding, your vocals are really good

#38917 - 04/03/14 07:59 PM Re: remixed one of my old songs. [Re: zacflame]
singtall Offline
veteran member

recording on a reel to reel at hot levels really fattens things up.

thanks, i never really thought of myself as a good singer, just a guitar player that got tired of flaky singers.

#38919 - 04/04/14 08:16 AM Re: remixed one of my old songs. [Re: singtall]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
Dude that song was awesome you sing really good you remind me of a fellow named Jimie Bennett who is the lead singer for the Christian band "King James" with the guitar player from WhiteCross Rex Carol. I so would have bought this about this if it had been for sale back then.

Yes the reel to reel does kind of fat and things up there is a band you may have heard of called "Eternal Decision" and they used a real to real to master their three CDs they put out and it has great mastered sound.

You will think these guys are Metallica or sepulture or both together:

Edited by jaminjimlp (04/04/14 08:18 AM)

#38920 - 04/04/14 09:18 AM Re: remixed one of my old songs. [Re: jaminjimlp]
Bzer Online   content
advanced member

Nice stuff Singtall! I did not know about christian metal.
I have old tapes of what I used to do 20 years ago, but I cannot read it any more (my Yamaha 4 tracks died 10 years ago). But to be honest, I am not sure I really want to hear that smile

#38922 - 04/04/14 11:55 AM Re: remixed one of my old songs. [Re: Bzer]
ADF Offline
advanced member

Cool stuff, singtall.

Clearly your ear for creating guitar tones has been an asset of yours for quite some time. In that regard, I'm curious - I think your tones here are very good, but with modern technology, would you change it if you recorded this song today? As you stated, your tone is still similar.

Also I was curious about your comment saying you were wrong about where the future was going. Were you referring to gear and tone production, or music in general?

On the latter, I think it's awesome today there are countless bands like Flyleaf, Skillet, etc. that are Christian yet do appeal outside that demographic.

#38923 - 04/04/14 12:52 PM Re: remixed one of my old songs. [Re: singtall]
Rusty Jam Offline

Originally Posted By: singtall
...my lead was off the top of my head (in one take) which means it was sloppy.
https://soundcloud.com/singtall/purple-heart-who-cares

lol - I wish my leads were that 'sloppy'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >