Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39045 - 04/11/14 03:01 PM Re: MIDI Controler [Re: jesling]
11 tRack Offline

Hello 11 Rack users "first post". I have an old Boss GT-3 that I use as a MIDI controller. There is limited functionality but it does work. The 2 bank buttons on the top let me switch between a-b-c and so on. The 1234 buttons switch between the presets in each group. Works 4 me.

#39066 - 04/13/14 02:59 AM Re: MIDI Controler [Re: Raul Fuzz]
Markus Offline
advanced member

Loc: Deutschland
I am using Keith McMillen's Softstep Foot Controller. It's totally cool: absolutely tiny, light as a feather, yet ready for stage use & abuse (some say it's even beer-proof!) and the best: it gives you not just a jack for an exp pedal, but allows you to control up to 6 parameters per pad. The pads are small, but at least the x- and y-axis are easy to use to change values (parameters), which is enough for me (i.e. two parameters plus volume or wah with the pedal per preset - cool!). The target of each controller can be changed per patch (so i can increase/decrease compression and amount of chorus on my clean patch, gain and delay on my crunch patch etc.). The possibilities are endless.
The controller can even be set up for five preset change pads (lower row) and control changes on the other pads. You name it, you get it. Programming it gets really manageable with the editor app for the Mac/PC).
Plus the controller is powered via USB (with the optional USB-MIDI-Converter box, which stays in my rack). So the only cable I have running to the pedal is the usb cable.
Extremely cool solution.
One backdraw, to be honest: the cool backlighting doesn't work properly when you play guitar, because the guitar acts like an antenna and produces noise. But switching that off is easy and you still have the LEDs on the pads which can even have different colours (depending on what you use the pad for).
I am completely happy with it. I had the Behringer in former times, it was ok, but difficult to program and waaay to big and heavy. The Softstep is soooo small and cute...;-)

#39088 - 04/15/14 07:50 AM Re: MIDI Controler [Re: Markus]
Geekydaddy Offline

Can someone explain how to use an HD500 as a midi controller for the 11R.

thanks , Bob

#39093 - 04/15/14 10:18 AM Re: MIDI Controler [Re: Geekydaddy]
rublalup Offline
advanced member

Loc: florida
Originally Posted By: Geekydaddy
Can someone explain how to use an HD500 as a midi controller for the 11R.

thanks , Bob

1-go to an unused setlist on the hd500 to save your 11R rigs controller preset there.

2-connect a midi cable from hd500 midi output to 11R midi in

3-in my case I had to do nothing referring to bank up and down programming... the bank fs worked as expected

4-double press the move button (i think... or maybe is the enter button). That will take you to the midi assignment for the footswitches. So with the 11R manual on hand assign to each fs the right channel according what you want to control with it.

Is very simple... sorry I cant explain it better.

The HD500 makes a very nice controller for the 11R: volume, wha, tuner, tap tempo, bank up and down, channels on each bank, effects on each rig... cant think of any additional function the hd cant handle.

#39094 - 04/15/14 10:20 AM Re: MIDI Controler [Re: Geekydaddy]
DonaldR Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I'm using a Rockman Midipedal. Since I'm mainly a bass guitar player and not really a guitar player, I never had a pedalboard so my approach to midi presets/control is different from others. I never thought of enabling/disabling single effect.

The Rockman midipedal is a simple 5 preset with bank up/down controller. Each of my banks have switches for clean,crunch,rythme,lead and wah presets and each bank is targeted to the music style I want to play: acoustic, blues, rock, hard, metal, shred. If I need specific effects for a song I create a bank for that song, or for that artist. So if I want to play blues I go to that bank and I have 5 presets to play with.

Since the wah has it's own preset in each bank (because I also change the amp eq, delay and reverb) my expression pedal (an old converted Crybaby) is setup for volume in other presets of the same bank, so no needs for 2 expression pedals.

With that approach, you can use a cheap midi controller without fancy programming features as you only need PG messages.

#39101 - 04/16/14 02:34 AM Re: MIDI Controler [Re: Raul Fuzz]
Markus Offline
advanced member

Loc: Deutschland
Recently I've discovered the KMI Softstep: a tiny, but powerful foot controller that works pretty well with the 11R. It is completely programmable, can control up to 6 (!!) parameters per pad (they're not just switches, they can change values in X- or Y-axis, clockwise, counterclockwise, by pressure, you name it...it's incredible. The controller comes with USB port which also powers it, it has a jack for an expression pedal, a 4-digit-display, there is an editor available for Win or Mac, it weighs just 500g,fits in every rack that can hold the 11R, it is pretty durable and even beer-safe! I have bidded on two - and won both, so I can give one away again (see pic). The other one is the only controller I am using right now - and I don't think it'll change ;-)
I sell one for 160 € plus shipping (worldwide). Retail is 210 €. Let me know if you're interested!
See the image of the twins: http://www.frieauff.com/frieauffcloud/IMG_2041.JPG

#39110 - 04/16/14 09:25 AM Re: MIDI Controler [Re: Markus]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Markus,
I've been touting the benefits of the SoftStep for some time now and I completely agree with you. It's a great little unit and, while a bit on the expensive side, offers so much functionality that it's hard to say it isn't worth the cost.

One of the things I like most about it is the fact that you can store many sets of preset functions on it simultaneously. I'm using mine primarily to switch between presets but also use it on occasion in stompbox mode... Ten presets available at a time (plus banks) then a touch of a button and I've got 5 stomps available, along with some function for each... effect level, gain level, wah travel, and so on. At the same time you could also store the functions for your Axe FX or Kemper or JamUp... whatever. No need to reprogram or download new scenes to the pedal for each device.

#39124 - 04/17/14 06:10 PM Re: MIDI Controler [Re: Raul Fuzz]
eyesofflys Offline

Loc: Washington
I have a X-15 Ultrafoot i got from a friend it works but switching between patches is not smooth.

#39141 - 04/20/14 07:45 PM Re: MIDI Controler [Re: eyesofflys]
my11usr Offline

Originally Posted By: eyesofflys
I have a X-15 Ultrafoot i got from a friend it works but switching between patches is not smooth.

Nothing to do with patch changing but in case you were unaware, there is a PC editor for the X-15
http://x15setup.com/english.htm

not sure what windows it works on
Thought it may be useful

#39262 - 04/26/14 07:49 PM Re: MIDI Controler [Re: my11usr]
eyesofflys Offline

Loc: Washington
Thanks ill give it a shot

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >