Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#36937 - 01/20/14 06:39 PM Eleven Rack and S/PDIF question?
BMoe Offline

Helllo All

I'm fairly new to the ER,sorry for that, took me awhile to get one.

I am using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, connecting two SPDIF cables between the ER and Saffire (yes, in to out ,out to in) also using Mac Pro with Pro Tools 10 and 11.

It sounds pretty bright and weak when using SPDIF.
Could this be a weak cable I'm using a pretty thin one along with a thicker one.
Both are SPDIF cables.

Also, The Eleven Rack sounds great when using the Output To Amp into one of
the pre's on the Saffire, but can't record this way, both dry and wet as far as I know.

I would like to use the SPDIF since its stays in the digital domain. but just to weak sounding to my ears.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks
BMoe

#36941 - 01/20/14 09:41 PM Re: Eleven Rack and S/PDIF question? [Re: BMoe]
noguud Offline
advanced member

Loc: FL
I don't think you are noticing a weak cable issue as S/PDIF is digital. It either makes it or it doesn't. I use S/PDIF out into a Lexicon Omega then to monitors. It is a bit brighter sounding than using the analog XLR outputs, but with the Omega you listen through its DACs, and that could be some of my differences. I think the same could be true for you?

Anyway, as far as being weaker, there are a couple of settings you could probably check. First, make sure your digital outputs (left and right) are your stereo rig. There is an option where left is rig output and right is the input (to be used later for re-amping) which might sound weaker I guess. The second thing to check is what the digital output uses, I have mine set to be a copy of the analog XLR output.

For the output to amp, you can use outputs 1&2 with separate tap points in your rig. So you can probably do wet and dry using both if you set it up properly. I have done this once and it worked ok for me.

Good luck

#37040 - 01/22/14 04:36 PM Re: Eleven Rack and S/PDIF question? [Re: noguud]
BMoe Offline

Noguud,

Thank you for your response, I tried the SPDIF cable again, and ALSO hooked up the output to amp to the preamp of the Saffire, and opened Pro Tools and did a side by side test and the SPDIF is better sounding, the output to amp is slighty duller sounding.

For some reason I cannot hook up two cables between the two units (ER and Saffire)
Also,If I have the ER's USB hook up , Its seems I can only use 44.1k or 48k without the SPDIF going "scratchy record" pulses. I am only able to use one SPDIF from ER OUT to Saffire IN ports. I would like to use the Saffire as internal clock and the ER set as External, but I think the USB is keeping it at 48k, weird. Maybe something with the Mac Pro. or me

Any way, I have tried into confusion getting the units to sync up with the two cables, but to no avail.

But using the one SPDIF sounds cool. even if it is just the one cable. I'm probably doing something wrong.

Again, thanks for your response, The two output to amps works like you said.

Later
BMoe

#37071 - 01/23/14 06:33 AM Re: Eleven Rack and S/PDIF question? [Re: BMoe]
noguud Offline
advanced member

Loc: FL
Usually when you have the USB hooked up for the 11r, you can't set the clock or source on the front panel, you have to set it with the drivers on your computer. Maybe you were doing it that way, don't know... Check out Benoni's youtube channel, he has a video that documents how to use S/PDIF to connect to another interface when recording.

Also, S/PDIF as far as I know taps out at 48k. If you want 88.2k or 96k, you have to move to the other digital output (AES? can't remember the name of the top of my head) or just stick with USB with the 11r as your interface.

Based on my experiences, I actually like the XLR analog outputs the best with the 11r internal clock set to 48k or 96k. Probably because most of my rigs were set up that way. I use the 48k S/PDIF in my current setup for convenience - it's one cable vs. two, and I am short on cables with a keyboard and another effects unit hooked up as well. S/PDIF is definitely brighter and a tad harsher sounding when using high gain presets in my setup. And when I have the clock set to 44.1k and use S/PDIF I think everything sounds worse. Don't know if that is all the 11 rack's fault, or my Lexicon omega interface, or both!