Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#36873 - 01/17/14 06:46 PM how many of you used ipad guitar apps?
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
title says it all smile
wich one? with wich interface,how u find it?

#36876 - 01/17/14 08:04 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

Bias, jam upxt, ik multimedia amplitube, amp kit,garage band, studio devil, with a i-rig hd interface, maybe I will do a comparison of them all, here's a quick one on bias. http://soundcloud.com/zac-flame/bias-eleven-rack

#36882 - 01/17/14 09:25 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: zacflame]
NARSH Offline
advanced member

I use JAMPUP and BIAS now.
I've been a huge fan of Positive Grid's high gain tones for a while but now after they introduced BIAS and its Amp design features, I am hooked.

Here is a tune I did using only BIAS/JamUP:

Case In Point - NARSH

#36883 - 01/17/14 10:02 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: NARSH]
Birdie Offline
veteran member

Loc: D/FW
all of the above +1

#36885 - 01/18/14 08:01 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Birdie]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

and tell me guys,did you have a chance to try the difference between using a "jack interface" like irig or irig stomp and a dock 30 pin digfital one like mobile in apogee jam etc? cause i tried bias with the jack type (irigstomp) and was not super happy at all,,,,,,lot of hiss hum and rumor, and (the more annoyng fact) dull and lifeless sounds...i hope the interface does a great difference,but must be like night and day to atify me frown

#36886 - 01/18/14 09:10 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
NARSH Offline
advanced member

I started with the irig and too was super disappointed. But again I figured this was a gimmick app or just a practice tool. Then I purchased an apogee jam lightning for my ipad and was totally blown away. No more feedback, no more quality issues. Definitely worth it to get a quality interface.

#36888 - 01/18/14 11:48 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: NARSH]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
I use this with bias and jamup xt pro, I would not suggest one that connects to the 1/8 inch connection, first off you will ware that sucker out and the sound quality is lower. Here is some stuff from there site..........

Plug into iOS Creativity

Sonic Port makes it easy to connect your guitar or bass to your iOS device and start making music. Simply plug your instrument into the 1/4" guitar input, launch GarageBand, the free Line 6 Mobile POD app, or another CoreAudio app, and start playing. Pro specs—up to 24-bit/48kHz audio quality throughout, and 110dB dynamic range on the guitar input—translate to full, powerful guitar tones.

Sonic Port also transforms your iPod touch, iPhone or iPad into a complete mobile studio. Track keyboards, mixers, CD players and other iOS devices using the 1/8” stereo line input. Plug in your favorite headphones and hear your audio in stunning clarity. You can even connect powered studio monitors via the 1/4” mono/stereo guitar/line-level output.

FEATURES

Sonic Port digital interface

Up to 24-bit/48kHz audio quality
110dB dynamic range on guitar input
1/4” guitar input
1/8” stereo line input
1/4” mono-stereo guitar/line-level output
1/8” stereo headphones output
Compatible with GarageBand, Jammit and other CoreAudio music apps
Powered by your iOS device—no additional power supply or batteries needed
Includes detachable 30-pin dock connector cable and Lightning connector cable

Sonic Port™ delivers inspiring guitar tones and best-in-class audio quality on your iPod touch®, iPhone® and iPad®. Jam with the tones of your favorite artists, connect keyboards and speakers to create your mobile recording studio, or plug into your amp and play live. Every time, Sonic Port gives you pro-quality sound with GarageBand®, Line 6 Mobile POD®, Jammit® and other CoreAudio music apps.

Mobile POD app (free download)////NOT AS GOOD AS BIAS AND JAMUP IMO FWIW/////

32 amps, 16 effects and 16 speaker cabinets
Over 10,000 presets designed by artists, Line 6 and other players
Built-in chromatic tuner; Auto Mute lets you tune in silence

Here is one I hope they revamp for the lightning port and bring out, this was never launched.

Discontinued Alesis AmpDock Multi-Effects Guitar Processor for iPad

ONE MORE but no lightning connection... yet, hope they do it

iPB-10

Edited by jaminjimlp (01/18/14 12:16 PM)

#36996 - 01/22/14 10:17 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: jaminjimlp]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
While I really like the sound of the 11R, my live setup is now a little valise case I built, inside of which are 2 iPad minis (one as a backup to the other) and 2 iRig Pro interfaces - again, the 2nd is a backup unit. Also included are the KMI SoftStep and the necessary KMI MIDI Expander, as well as assorted cables and a Lithium Polymer battery/charger unit to power the SoftStep. No need to plug anything into the wall while gigging.

The software I'm using is Positive Grid's JamUp, which, in my not so humble opinion, is far and away the best IOS guitar app out there. I've tried Amplitube for iPad, Ampkit and a couple of others. None come close to the sound you can get from JamUp. Many of my presets now include amps I designed in Bias (also from Positive Grid)... something that's easy to do and a lot of fun, actually.

Overall my experience with the iPad setup has been surprisingly good and I'm satisfied with my purchases. It must be said, though, that this is one rather expensive setup. Still, I try to be as efficient as possible where gear is concerned because I have so much of it to carry to and from every show. And this setup is small, lightweight, easy to setup and sounds really good.

Far from being an Apple guy - I've always shunned their walled garden - but it must be said that there is nothing in the tablet world, aside from iPads, that can do the job. For now, at least.

#38587 - 03/13/14 12:27 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
i have an ipad 2 on the way thanks to DISH network's new customer deal. it is being shipped to me, so it could be weeks away.....but i will try jamup and bias, so expect to see some presets when i get it.

#38589 - 03/13/14 01:29 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Yeaaa! I really want to hear What u think of bias to see if it match my perception of that app !

#38590 - 03/13/14 04:15 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Ross, I'm also curious to know what you think of these two apps; your opinion counts for a lot on this forum, I think.

#38593 - 03/13/14 08:21 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: Marc C.
Ross, I'm also curious to know what you think of these two apps; your opinion counts for a lot on this forum, I think.

+1

#38594 - 03/13/14 08:23 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: singtall
i have an ipad 2 on the way thanks to DISH network's new customer deal. it is being shipped to me, so it could be weeks away.....but i will try jamup and bias, so expect to see some presets when i get it.

Can't wait to here what you come up with bro!!!

#38595 - 03/13/14 08:37 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: jaminjimlp]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i'm hoping it's as cool as it looks. the cabinet IR will make or break it though.

what guitar interface to i need to buy to plug into the ipad 2?

#38598 - 03/13/14 08:58 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
singtall Offline
veteran member

#38599 - 03/13/14 09:41 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

The iRig Pro is what I use, but if you don't need/want MIDI the iRig HD would be fine.

Other options are the Line 6 Sonic Port, Apogee Jam, Griffin GuitarConnect Pro, AmpKit LiNK HD, Alesis ioDock, as well as the above-mentioned Griffin StudioConnect.

But whatever you buy make sure it has the dock connector (CCK on older models, or Lightning on newer), as opposed to something that uses the headphone jack as an input.

#38601 - 03/13/14 09:55 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

That looks good but what outputs does it have? just RCA? it should work fine, definitely let us know. The main thing is that you don't use an interface that plugs in to the ear phone jack, 1. it's not 24/48 quality 2. you will surely rag that jack out. I use the line 6 sonic port it has 1/4" in and out and 1/8 i/o and stereo i/o but you can't charge at the same time and you can't have a midi connection at the same time so you need an "air turn" or something to change presets wile playing. ideally one with the ability to charge, connect midi and 1/4" i/o with the connection to the iPad being at the 30 pin or lightning connector is best (the sonic port comes with both cords but is pricey[$99])

#38602 - 03/14/14 09:10 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: jaminjimlp]
singtall Offline
veteran member

if the app sounds great, then another $99 for a dock that charges the ipad 2 and has the correct ins/outs is worth doing.

amazon.com is selling these docks for half price, so it seemed like a deal worth doing.

#38605 - 03/14/14 05:25 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
mpaoletta Offline

Bias and JamUpPro (right now the free version, just for the TS). For practice is great. But I'm not hooking it up with a speaker, so I'm not really exploiting it. But it feels great.

#38820 - 03/27/14 09:45 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: mpaoletta]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i finally got a chance to hookup the dock and load up the software. first problem: no sound. next problem: echoing distorted junk. fixed those problems and finally got sound.

jamup factory presets were junk (as i thought they would be). bias presets were better. one big problem i encountered is the gain level was low on most high gain amps, but slightly distorted on the clean amps......weird. i adjusted the gain control of my dock to hit zero db on the input only when i strummed extremely hard. that seemed to help.

of the amps featured, none of them felt like the real world amps that i encountered. none of them got me even close to what i'm used to....so time to tweak.

a couple hours later i came up with a "singtall krunch" preset. then i realized i was running late for practice, so i had to stop tweaking for awhile.

when i got home i resumed tweaking. having just played through my real rig, i felt like a knew kinda where i had to go tonally to get what i needed.

the result is two custom amps made in bias called "Singtall Krunch" and "Singtall Klean". i made four jamup presets based on those two amp models. i haven't A/B'd the jamup/bias stuff against the eleven rack yet, but i expect the eleven rack to sound better based on the presets that i already have years of tweaking into.

will post some presets hopefully tomorrow. for now i consider the bias/jamup thing to be nothing more than a practice toy. the latency can be a little much and there are some clicking noises even in normal latency mode plus airplane mode.

#38822 - 03/27/14 10:03 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Hey Ross,
I'm surprised at the experience you've had so far with JamUp and Bias. The clicking issues are new to a recent update and will hopefully be fixed very shortly. That said, even in normal latency mode (in JamUp) it's not uncomfortable for me, though Ultra Low Latency is better... in fact, I don't notice any latency at all in that mode.

Just for fun why not download my Bias patch Marc Hvy Crunch and give it a whirl. Obviously it's tweaked for my pups (Duncan Pearly Gates, neck & bridge, on a Blacktop Strat) but I'd be curious to know how it sounds for you. The few amps I've made (if you want to try others) can be found under Marc C. I'm also quite fond of my Ctry-Blues Bias amp.

#38824 - 03/27/14 10:12 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Also, it must be said (though I'm sure you know) that everything else should be turned off. Turn off apps (not just minimize them), turn off wifi if you don't need it. This may help with latency, clicks and so on.

#38827 - 03/28/14 12:11 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

the latency i'm noticing changes from non-existent to crazy long. switching from jamup to bias to tweak an amp will cause really bad latency every time i try it.

once in jamup, it's not too bad most of the time. in bias, it's noticeable, but not too terrible in low latency mode.

right now, there is no way that i can see using this thing for anything other than a toy to play with. i need to have a more rock-solid experience with it before i would trust it to even record a track for a minute or two.

will keep everyone posted as i get more familiar with it.

#38828 - 03/28/14 12:32 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Markus Offline
advanced member

Loc: Deutschland
Ross, I fiddled around with Bias and Jamup Pro XT for some time. It does sound great and also feels good, much better like most cheap modelers. However, it has glitches, esp. when switching from BIAS to Jamup and vv. The latency is one of them: when I play in one app only, there's little latency, when I switch, it increases. A lot of the latency issues with BIAS are related to the interface. Apogee Jam seems to work fine for most people, iRig, Griffin Stompbox and other cheaper ones don't. I have a Roland Duo Capture EX that is very comfortable and also supports MIDI which is nice. It works well. But I also wouldn't dare to use the iPad-based modeling live. It's too fragile, both in build quality as well as in stability of performance. But I think BIAS is the first app that really can compete with stuff like the 11R. Also the tweaking options are extremely detailled and much more realistic than in simple modelers (including the Fender Mustang, which I own as well), where those options in most cases feel more like drastic eq changes rather than like realistic tweaks to an amp.

#38836 - 03/28/14 09:08 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Markus]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i have been able to get some decent tones out of the bias/jamup rig, but nothing that feels like the eleven rack. in the app, they didn't model poweramp compression in quite the same way that the eleven rack does. i'm having to do a lot of tweaking to get something that has as much gain/but cleans up as the singtall krunch preset for the eleven rack.

#38838 - 03/28/14 11:14 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Recently, as a result of the messed up update to JamUp, I took out my 11R to make sure all was still working properly in case the JamUp issue wasn't resolved.

There is no question that the 11R sounds great - and I would be very happy to keep using it on gigs. But not only is my iPad setup smaller and lighter, I really think it sounds as good as the 11R for my presets.

Most of my JamUp patches use amps I've created in Bias, so I've been able to tweak them - amps and effects - to my liking. And since I do not have ProTools, all the work done in my 11R was done with the knobs on the unit. That's very tedious and time consuming.

I would think that with the standalone editor (which I've not yet installed) this would no longer be the case, but since I'm quite pleased with the way my 11R patches sounds, I'm not sure I'll bother changing things up.

I guess it all comes down to choosing what works best for each of us. For me, right now, that is the iPad / JamUp combination. But my 11R is not going anywhere and if I play a gig where an actual amp is required you can bet that the 11R will be my preamp choice, into the front of my Seymour Duncan combo.

#38839 - 03/28/14 11:25 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Markus - I can't speak for all those who had bad experiences with an iRig but I suspect the main problem was as a result of using the original model - the one that plugged into the headphone output.

The HD model of the iRig, or the Pro (which is what I use) have the lightning (or 30 pin) digital connection. This makes all the difference in the world. I'm very happy with my choice... that said, I'm sure there are several interfaces available that are better still. My choices were limited by my requirements. The unit had to be small and it had to have MIDI in. Good sound, too, of course.

Edited by Marc C. (03/28/14 11:26 AM)

#38845 - 03/28/14 04:27 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i figured out how to close all apps in ios 7.1 and found there was over 16 apps running....that might account for some latency! i still hear some latency, but not too bad, it's workable now. running jamup in low latency mode is still a cracklefest, but regular mode sounds fine.

will work on presets more and report back.

#38849 - 03/28/14 08:58 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i spent too many hours tweaking amps in bias tonight.....only to find that i had no volume when i went back into jamup. i have to shut all apps down and restart jamup to hear anything after tweaking in bias. worked fine yesterday, but had more latency. latency fixed, now other problems came up. another issue is that i can't share/upload a preset. i also can't download presets. major bummer.

on the good side; i spent enough time with it to know how to tweak it and get a decent sound. i had to learn a bunch about how they set things up to get what i wanted, but it's pretty close. and they do a decent job of modeling power amp distortion, especially if you chose the EL34's.

i do find it odd that i can't find any info on the problems i'm having. there has to be a dedicated forum somewhere?

#38850 - 03/28/14 09:32 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Hi Ross,
Here's a Facebook page that's quite active for Positive Grid users:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/PositiveGridGroup/

I'm not sure what the issue is with having no sound in JamUp when going to it from Bias - that's never happened to me but you can ask the Facebook group.

As for sharing presets... you can share an amp built in Bias while in Bias using Tone Cloud. You can also share a JamUp preset BUT NOT if it uses a custom amp from Bias. It's a real bummer and I hope they address that soon. I am assuming you are using JamUp XT Pro, and not the free version. The paid version allows easy upload and download of presets (with the exception being the custom amp thing).

I agree with your assessment of modeling power amp distortion... it's a pretty cool feature and quite effective, I think.

#38851 - 03/29/14 12:12 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

I have the 4th gen iPad and never have had any latency at all, I do use the Line 6 sonic port with the lightning connection never had any clicking either, I have had the switch from bias to jamup xt work then go back to bias it work the back to jamup xt and no sound thing... very aggravating!!! then sometimes when I boot the iPad and didn't have the sonic port in yet and even with it start out with no sound and had to kill program and sometimes still had to reboot the iPad.

over all it sounds good when working, I never have had to change the to the low latency setting as well. maybe it needs a faster cpu or its the interface?!?!?

maybe this would work and you could use the FCB1010

#38852 - 03/29/14 12:18 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: jaminjimlp]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Hey sing were you able to use the FCB1010 with your interface? I think this would be essential for live use at church for me because its hard to stay in the flow using the volume knob on the guitar. that is one of the reasons I am trying the GNX4... I see what you mean about getting lost in the mix now though, what was a good live heavy and clean preset for you on it? I was able to load your back up.... sorry for going off topic guys....

#38855 - 03/29/14 09:16 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: jaminjimlp]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i haven't tried the midi pedal yet because i haven't been able to get the ipad 2 setup stable enough to consider using live.

i was trying to upload bias amps that i made, so that explains it. that's pretty lame!

#38858 - 03/29/14 06:50 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: Christophersad
Yeaaa! I really want to hear What u think of bias to see if it match my perception of that app !

ok,now that u had the time to try it,i can share my tought,and i have to say that i also think bias is good but not that good.sure a step over more of the standard modeler,maybe better than pod hd but not on par or better than 11r.
i a/b ed 11r and bias/jamyp a lot and i have to say that 11r has far more "tridimensional" sound, a lot more dinamic and a lot less glitch. still we gotta think that its a 13$ app wink

#38861 - 03/30/14 12:54 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
singtall Offline
veteran member

for the money, bias and jamup are some cool tools to jam with at the house or on a tour bus. if used for a writing tool or just to warm up before a gig, it's quite good.

i too find the bias/jamup a little too unstable and non-3 dimensional as compared to the eleven rack.

#38908 - 04/03/14 03:44 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
singtall Offline
veteran member

updated software and things are working better now.

i made some presets that are actually pretty darn good.

will try out the midi pedal and see how stable this thing will be at practice.

#38910 - 04/03/14 04:51 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I guess all of us have varied experiences with JamUp and Bias, depending on what we expect from it, and the various types of hardware we each have, but I'm glad you're getting something good out these apps, Ross.

I haven't yet updated JamUp... I'm going to wait until after this weekend's gigs. If, by then, there are no complaints online about it then I'll update.

So far though, my experiences on stage with JamUp have been as good as they've been with the 11R. That includes MIDI patch selection and Control Changes for stompbox selection, both of which I access through the SoftStep pedal.

#38911 - 04/03/14 05:21 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

look for Singtall bias amps and let me know what you think. i posted three presets: two are my standard type of krunch, and one is all out metal.

#38912 - 04/03/14 06:08 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

They are making a vst version of bias!
Could be nice!

#38913 - 04/03/14 06:24 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I'll have a look for those, Ross.

I'm anxious to try the VST version when it comes out. I'm curious, though, about how they'll price it. Guitar Rig, TH2, Amplitube and others are kind of pricey (or very pricey) compared to iOS apps like JamUp. I wonder if Positive Grid will offer their VST versions for the same $20 as the iOS versions or will they soak us like the others do?

#38916 - 04/03/14 07:57 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i would think they would charge more because the market is higher. still will be better than some of the other options.

now that i've had a chance to really delve into what bias can do, i don't think any other app is as good to my ears anyway. i would have paid $100 for a version that runs on a pc and will allow me to easily save presets and share them.

#38943 - 04/06/14 07:04 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Hi Ross, I've auditioned your Bias amps and downloaded the 800 and (just for fun) the metal amp. I like them both and 'Liked' them on Tone Cloud as well. The 800 was too bright for my mutant Blacktop Strat, but bringing the treble and presence down a bit resolved that issue. Good amps...

I'm not sure what happened to your Krunch amp... it was completely clean... no crunch at all. Maybe something got borked on the 'preview' button... I'll try again tomorrow.

Marc C.

P.S. I'd be curious to know what you think of my two favourite Bias creations... Marc Hvy Crunch and Marc ctry-blues.

#38944 - 04/06/14 07:29 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

my first bias amp upload got trashed on the upload somehow. the amp didn't even look like that when i uploaded it. i will have to upload it again.

i'll try out your creations as well.

#38950 - 04/07/14 09:48 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
aussiebail Offline
veteran member

saw this review. You can't beat the price of this app!

#38951 - 04/07/14 10:07 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: aussiebail]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Aussie, that's one of the two apps most discussed in this thread. It's a remarkable tool for getting the most out of a digital amp. I've used it to dial in my own custom amps that I export to JamUp, in which I add the FX I want. JamUp is currently what I'm using as my sound source for gigs.

#38952 - 04/07/14 03:05 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
aussiebail Offline
veteran member

Aussie, that's one of the two apps most discussed in this thread.

Hence the video grin

#38954 - 04/07/14 06:57 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: aussiebail]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

Just downloaded orange by ikmultimedia , I think it's as good as bias, the regular amplitube , not so good ,but this is different, not as much to adjust ....... 14.99 we'll spent

#39374 - 05/04/14 05:05 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: zacflame]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

so rhoss have you digged bias and jamup some more lately? im interested in a comparsion between 11 and jamip/bias from your pov smile

#39378 - 05/04/14 11:38 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i haven't tried bias in a few weeks, but when i did there was no comparison; the eleven rack was better to me.

bias is a cool little app for jamming with headphones. i made a couple presets, i was pretty happy with it. i could have plugged into a pa system and played with bias without much fuss, but i still rather the eleven rack.

i might try it out again later today and see if there are any updates.

#39379 - 05/04/14 12:36 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

I downloaded your presets and tried them,they arw good but to me still the 11 win hands down.i Also noticed you didnt use the para eq in bias,that can make a tldifference.did you Also tried jamup? I even like jamup amps better than bias ones... Dunno why but bias always seem no punchy to me...

If u wish try also the free ampkit by peavey,theres the valveking emulation wich i like a lot and i think u will like it too smile

#39382 - 05/04/14 02:21 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i go for a particular type of amp....think jcm800 modded by Forten. it has to clean up with the guitar volume control and compress. i also don't like the distortion to be too flabby. if i can't get the right feel, then i don't bother trying to eq it, i just abandon the rig.

my Singtall Krinch preset is the standard i start with, and if i can't duplicate that sound and feel, it's over for me. if i can get that feel, then i can eq it to sound like all sorts of other rigs.

#39385 - 05/04/14 02:33 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

ive tried all of your presets,but the krunch is a clean when i download it,maybe the upload got broken?

#39386 - 05/04/14 03:21 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
singtall Offline
veteran member

the upload was jacked up. will try to reload it under the name singtall krunch II

#39388 - 05/04/14 08:21 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i uploaded singtall krunch II successfully. it's not as biting as some of the other presets i've heard, but it's the kind of tone that i could jam on for awhile.

the biggest reasons that i don't think i can play around with the software much more is:
1) it's way too noisy! i don't care how you gate it, if you roll back your guitar volume control the hiss is there in spades.
2 the latency changes constantly. every once in awhile i can feel the timing getting off for a little longer than it should be. latency is something that i just can't deal with.

the whole concept is awesome, and if they ever made something like this using the eleven rack as a host it would be pure gold. but the whole ipad/iphone thing doesn't work as professionally as the eleven rack does.

it is still cool to have as a little quick rig for jamming in the bedroom or on vacation.

#39583 - 05/13/14 12:35 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

I upload ed my 1st preset on jamup,its called CRI rock plexiglas,i would like to hear What u think of it smile

#39585 - 05/13/14 03:25 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i will have to try to pry the ipad from my wife's little hands. since the whole jamup/bias thing didn't work so well for me, she took the ipad.

the good news is that a pc version is coming out. i hope the latency level is better so i can try it again.

#39588 - 05/13/14 03:39 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Yea i subscribed to the beta too wink

#39589 - 05/13/14 04:37 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Ross, I'm surprised you've experienced such high levels of latency... I think, though, that Bias has more latency than JamUp. Certainly, when I play, there's no detectable latency in JamUp, and I know from experience with my former laptop setup that 15 ms is easily felt and above 20 ms is completely unplayable, so my iPad minis must be below 15. And that's on both the newer 'retina' model and the first-gen model which is supposedly about the same processing power as the iPad 2.
It's a shame because, if nothing else, using the iPad/iPhone/iPod is convenient for its size & portability.

#39590 - 05/13/14 05:14 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

the latency i'm experiencing changes from around 10-25 milliseconds, with no apparent reason. all apps are closed. wifi off.

i haven't had as much issues in jamup, but the tone is not the same, so i don't like it. i can get bias to sound just like an amp in the room, but not in jamup. jamup has some type of stereo simulator that clips the balls right off my tone.

#39592 - 05/13/14 05:41 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Re latency... weird... very weird.

Re clipped balls (LOL)... unfortunate. Still to each his own, I guess. And I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who's made a serious attempt to work with the 11R who'll say it isn't a great sounding unit.

#39593 - 05/13/14 05:44 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i love the sounds i got in bias. i just hated the occasional latency for no reason.

stereo sims do things to the mids and low end, so what i make in bias does not sound the same in jamup. not that it's terrible sounding, but it's not the same. when i get the perfect tone, i just want to add reverb and effects, not change the tone.

#39687 - 05/20/14 09:32 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Here a YouTube clip of a few bits of songs taken from a show we played on Sunday, May 18. I'm using JamUp as my sound source. Bear in mind that I'm not the awesome shredder many of you are... and apologies for the shaky video for the first twenty seconds - the camera had to be moved, but it settles down after that.

#39688 - 05/20/14 02:08 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

great groove you have guys! who cares where the sound come from when it sounds right? wink

#39713 - 05/25/14 10:56 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

I love the blues, enjoyed listening to your playin sounds good .............

I don't know what happened to the other guys posted a video his name was Will, that was some pretty awesome stuff too.

Edited by jaminjimlp (05/25/14 10:57 AM)

#39716 - 05/25/14 12:29 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: jaminjimlp]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I think, re Will's video, that the post was lost when this forum went down for a day or two. I agree that his stuff was really good.

But I thank you for your compliment... I'm not a Blues guitarist but I do enjoy playing the Blues. The singer, Brian Tyler, however, is a Blues singer - and a great one. He's also been my best friend for 46+ years, and we always have a good time when we perform together.

#39758 - 05/28/14 12:00 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
AGwill Offline

Hi guys, so I just noticed that my video got taken down, along with several other posts. That sucks haha. I did notice that the forum was down for a while and I wasn't able to comment. Anyway, here's the video again, in case anyone else wants to check it out!

- Will

#39767 - 05/29/14 02:03 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: AGwill]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

EGGSalent!!!

#39773 - 05/30/14 11:32 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: jaminjimlp]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

maybe this is useful to someone

http://alesis.com/multimix-10-wireless

#39957 - 06/27/14 08:21 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Haven't been on my iPad much lately at least a couple weeks and then have not used my JamUp lately but notice there is a update for JamUp Pro XT with some pretty cool new features also was one Bias amp so you can try it out if you don't have Bias yet

#39958 - 06/27/14 09:08 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: jaminjimlp]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I downloaded that update last week and that Plexi 50 amp is great. Very crunchy and warm tone. In fact, I'm using in one of my presets now.

Some new bundles were also made available as in-app purchases. I bought the Gurus amp pack and it, too, is great. The vintage effects and acoustic simulation / modeling bundles look good as well. I'll probably pick them up in the coming weeks.

#39960 - 06/27/14 03:17 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

This bias/jamup thing is really going out of control smile they are now launching a desktop version of bias whit the addition of an amp matching feature like the axefx, and right today they started asking if we would like to load bias into a dedicated hardware of some sort...great things I say smile

#39986 - 06/30/14 12:43 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

Every time this gets bumped up, I plug Bias back in, but for me I just have not been happy with it, maybe iam doing something wrong, but sgear or Vermillion is so much better in my opinion, maybe a desk top version will be better, I really think it's the process power of the iPad, still Eleven Rack to me sounds great still after all these years

#39988 - 06/30/14 01:08 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: zacflame]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

There's no question that the 11R is a great piece of kit, but Bias is a different beast altogether; you can dive deep into every element that makes a guitar amp, well, a guitar amp. It's more customizable than any any modeler I've ever heard of. You truly can dial in whatever works best for your particular guitar, playing style, and tone requirements. That said, while it was easy to get the tones I liked for my guitars, I did have a fair amount of difficulty getting good sound for my guitarist's parts-bin SG. I think he has some weird pickups in there or something. We finally did dial in some good tones but it took a lot of fiddling.

Pairing Bias amps with JamUp is great for getting those live presets happening. There are so many pedals to choose from that it's hard to imagine not finding what you want, though it may cost you a bit for those in-app purchases... but still WAY cheaper than buying actual pedals.

I know it's entirely subjective because 'good tone' is such a personal thing but, really, whether you use the 11R or a DAW-based software or an iPad, as long as you're pleased with the results it's all good.

Finally, while it's no surprise that a Mac or PC has way more processing power than an iPad, it all comes down to what that power is used for... If you're running a DAW with 3 reverbs, a couple of delays, some chorus thing, a guitar amp modeler or two (or three or four, which I've done), a few softsynths, and a bunch of compressors, as well as tracking who knows how many audio & MIDI tracks, all that power is divided up for those many tasks. In my case, my iPads are running one thing only (aside from the OS, of course)... JamUp (when I play live). And there's plenty of grunt in an iPad to do that... significantly more processing power, in fact, than the 11R has. So if the 11R can manage - and sound great - there's no reason an iPad can't offer the same. It's all a matter of taste... what sounds best to you.

#39991 - 06/30/14 03:27 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

marc c, iam not knocking it in anyway,i watched your video and it sounded great, it is a great concept for sure, i guess iam not much for tweaking, like i said maybe iam doing something wrong, its just everything sounded so close together to me, i cant hardly tell one amp from the other on the rock side......

i did get to play an orange reverb 50 at chicago music exchange this weekend, my first ever , i tell i was pretty amazed how good it sounded, been saving up for a rectoverb boogie, but now iam not sure, of course it was 2500.00

iam sure its just a matter of time before we get some axe fx quality on a cheaper scale and bias might just be it ........

#39994 - 06/30/14 04:19 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: zacflame]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

i say lets wait for the desktop version and well see!
that amp matching is driving me nuts!

#39995 - 06/30/14 05:02 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Zac, I know you weren't knocking the app, and you are correct... getting your tones will involve tweaking and maybe more for some guitars (like my guitarist's SG) than others. For me, though, that's part of the fun. When there's a good graphical interface I enjoy diving into all the tools available.

Christopher - I too am eagerly awaiting the tone-matching feature on the desktop version.

#40022 - 07/03/14 12:15 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Have any of you tried the "DI Driver" it is simply amazing!!! Way better than any other over drives that I've tried.
The thing that kills it for me is no easy way to add a foot switch, tried the air turn but it was expensive and quirky when you tried to connect it... I wish there was a way to connect my FCB1010 to it, the line 6 interface is great but the limits of the IPad lightening port sux! I would hate to have to buy another interface just to get midi functions, is there any blue tooth midi device I can get to hook up my FCB1010?

@Marc C. How do you manage this midi connection?

#40028 - 07/03/14 08:05 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: jaminjimlp]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Jim, I use the iRig Pro, which has both audio and MIDI input (but not output) to the iPad. That, in conjunction with the KMI MIDI Expander gets me hooked up to my KMI SoftStep.

If you want a Bluetooth connection you could either wait for the BT-4 from Positive Grid - and who knows when that will be released - or you could go for the IK Multimedia BlueBoard, which I have as a backup. Sometimes my guitarist uses it with my backup iPad as well. It works well, the connection seems stable. One of the nice features the BlueBoard offers - two 1/4" inputs for foot controllers (volume, gain, wah, whatever).

#40044 - 07/05/14 06:41 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

Anybody heard from positive grid on being a beta tester?

#40045 - 07/05/14 07:55 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: zacflame]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

i submitted every time they did a test but never get into one :(((

#40046 - 07/05/14 11:24 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I've received an invitation for the Bias Explorer program but since I don't really use my iMac (I'm set up for PC-based audio) I haven't yet downloaded it. I may do so, though, just to try it out. If I do I'll let you know what I think.

#40049 - 07/05/14 04:50 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

damn you mark!!!!!!! im so jealous now!!! :)))

#40055 - 07/05/14 06:27 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Ha ha... in that case I guess I'll have to try it so as not to waste the opportunity.

#40057 - 07/05/14 06:34 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

ahhhrg!!! wanna sell the invitation? ihihihihih

#40058 - 07/05/14 06:36 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

hey mark i was thinking that if bias desktop come aout as a real killer app, i could load it up on a microsoft surface pro tablet (check it out if you dont know it) and gig with it really.

Edited by Christophersad (07/05/14 06:36 PM)

#40061 - 07/05/14 07:15 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Christopher, I see no reason why you couldn't use Surface Pro 2 or 3 to gig, especially the 3, pricey though it is. There's some real power in those tablets.

For the foreseeable future, though, I'm going to stick with JamUp on the iPads. It sounds absolutely killer.

Today I bought an Alto TS-110A for multiple uses... monitor for band use, P.A. speaker for cocktails, and as an amp substitute for if / when I gig with a live drummer. It was surprisingly loud & punchy and sounded very good with JamUp running through it. I really have to stop buying things...

#40075 - 07/06/14 01:34 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Well i think ou can easily run some good plugins into a surface pro standard wich is still an i5 processor but not that pricey,it goes for less than an ipad here smile

#40076 - 07/06/14 03:09 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I say 'go for it!' I'd be interested to know how it goes.

#40081 - 07/06/14 09:54 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

What kind of software does it run, doesn't seem like much support for non apple products

#40091 - 07/07/14 08:36 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: zacflame]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

The Surface Pro runs on Windows 8.1, so any software made for that OS would work. Positive Grid have a Bias VST coming (hopefully standalone on Win8, too). You could run Overloud TH-2 (which is great), the full desktop version of Amplitube (which sounds about a million times better than the crap iOS version), Guitar Rig, Kuassa... or anything else that would run on a desktop PC.

It's sort of a best-of-both-worlds situation. The convenience and portability of a tablet, the power of a high-end laptop, even desktop computer.

#40175 - 07/08/14 01:22 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Jim, I use the iRig Pro, which has both audio and MIDI input (but not output) to the iPad. That, in conjunction with the KMI MIDI Expander gets me hooked up to my KMI SoftStep.

If you want a Bluetooth connection you could either wait for the BT-4 from Positive Grid - and who knows when that will be released - or you could go for the IK Multimedia BlueBoard, which I have as a backup. Sometimes my guitarist uses it with my backup iPad as well. It works well, the connection seems stable. One of the nice features the BlueBoard offers - two 1/4" inputs for foot controllers (volume, gain, wah, whatever).

I was checking it out [irig pro] and it doesn't have a 1/4" output the stomp box version dose but doesn't have the midi input... AAAARRRGGG!?!?!?! Has anyone seen an interface that has both? I hate the stinkin iPad! I guess I don't like the headphone connection because it is going to get bumped and eventually broken. I think but might be wrong that you don't get 24/48 out of that.

#40176 - 07/08/14 03:52 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: jaminjimlp]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Jim, It's true that the iRig Pro doesn't have an output. So far, I haven't had any issues with the iPad's headphone output, but, like you, I would prefer to have a sturdy 1/4" cable rather than the 1/8" of a headphone jack. Still... so far, so good.

There are units that have it all but they are larger, not surprisingly. The Alesis IO Dock II looks good. The Focusrite iTrack Dock has MIDI, but only the USB variety. Behringer has the iS202, which seems very similar to the Alesis. You give up the very small size (which is important to me) but you gain a lot of functionality.

#40178 - 07/08/14 05:32 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i have a griffin studio dock for sale:

http://store.griffintechnology.com/studioconnect-na17132

$50 shipped to your house. i used it for a few minutes when i checked Bias/Jamup, but i couldn't take the ipad2 latency, so i haven't used the interface ever since.

#40183 - 07/08/14 08:43 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

The Griffin that Ross is selling should do the trick nicely... audio and MIDI. The output is RCA but that's a lot sturdier than 1/8".

#40262 - 07/19/14 02:20 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Hey marc any news on bias desktop from you ? smile if you don't have time to try it ,I have a fresh Mac here :):):):):):)

Edited by Christophersad (07/19/14 02:21 AM)

#40267 - 07/19/14 07:52 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Unfortunately, the Beta test is over... or at least the quota for testers has been reached. Either way... I'm not allowed to download it. I should have moved more quickly on this. I guess I'll have to consider buying the finished product.

#40269 - 07/19/14 09:28 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: singtall
i have a griffin studio dock for sale:

http://store.griffintechnology.com/studioconnect-na17132

$50 shipped to your house. i used it for a few minutes when i checked Bias/Jamup, but i couldn't take the ipad2 latency, so i haven't used the interface ever since.

Dude I would jump on that but I have the 4th gen iPad and it has a lightning port and is not compatible with this one.

#40270 - 07/19/14 09:59 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

The Alesis IO Dock II looks good. The Focusrite iTrack Dock has MIDI, but only the USB variety. Behringer has the iS202, which seems very similar to the Alesis.

I have looked at those as well but only the newer IO Dock II has the lightning port. I will wait for a price drop to pull the trigger on that one, plus then I would have to remove the Otter Box case I use on the iPad. The Focusrite iTrack Dock has USB MIDI.

I still may go for the iRig... not really pressed at the moment.

Edited by jaminjimlp (07/19/14 10:00 AM)

#40271 - 07/20/14 05:36 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: jaminjimlp]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Hey guys,roaming on the App Store I found this new app 4 guitar.it promise good and has also a dual amp/fx chain ability,wich could be really good.i say for less then 5 bucks I give it a shot

https://itunes.apple.com/it/app/tonestack/id870269510?mt=8

http://www.yonac.com/tonestack/index.html

Edited by Christophersad (07/20/14 08:15 AM)

#40273 - 07/20/14 05:02 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

so i didnt resist and bought it, i have still to extensively test it but i had some spare time this evening and i recorded a quick test.
one of the nicest feature is it have full stereo DUAL AMP and fx chain support!!!

https://soundcloud.com/christian-pucciarelli/cri-prova-tonestack-app-rea-consolidated

here it is.

part 1 is amp A
part 2 is amp B
part 3 is A+B in signal split (guitar splitted siognal feed both amps equally)
part 4 is A+B in frequency split mode (signal is split in 2 frequancy path belove and above a setpoint and then the low part fed 1 amp while the high part feed another)

#40274 - 07/20/14 06:04 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

oh i was forgetting, i even found a decent if not good guitar synth 4 ipad and its free! check it out!!!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jam-synth/id732618765?mt=8

#40283 - 07/22/14 01:38 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Ok I spent a couple of minutes playing whit this new app, and I feel it's still a little less polished in terms of amp and cabs sound than say bias ,but it's way ahead in terms of features than 4 example jamup,it has dual stereo amp and fx support, it has aby blend and 70+ effects including a poliphonic pitch (hex pog) whammy and tons of other things,definitely woth a try.

#40344 - 07/28/14 02:23 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

so i finally managed to get a microsoft surface pro 128 gb at a super price of 299 brand new,im gonna try it out in reharsal room and tell u how it goes wink

#40349 - 07/29/14 07:44 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Please do! I'm VERY curious to know what a Windows tablet can do. What modeler are you planning to try on it?

#40355 - 07/29/14 11:40 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Im planning to try amplitube,guitar rig and over loud th2,and finally a whole session of reaper with various tracks and vst,marc keep in mind this is a real PC In a tablet suite,it has intel i5 2.6 ghz processor and 8 gb ram smile a little monster smile

Did you check the app I posted some posts back?

#40363 - 07/29/14 03:25 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Christopher, I haven't tried the app myself but I did listen to some YouTube demos, including the one put out by the company itself (which was useless as it only had one sound during the whole video).

I wasn't thrilled with what I heard, to be honest, but the technical capabilities of the software were very impressive. A lot of people seem very keen on stereo sound, for some reason, and that's the least of what it can do.

I'll probably end up trying it out for myself eventually. But in all honesty, JamUp just sounds so good I don't know if I'll ever need anything else. I know you've seen some of my Facebook posts... you should go and read one of my latest about something that happened at last weekend's gig. You may get a kick out of it.

#40364 - 07/29/14 03:35 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

in wich group marc?

#40365 - 07/29/14 03:45 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I see you found the post...

#40406 - 07/31/14 08:37 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

Marc C, hey bud I think I found one of your patches on Jam up sound cloud, or what ever you call, I am gonna try running the outputs into my mixer and then bose l1, I think my problem was running into a guitar setup, I take back what I said earlier, it's starting to grow on me....

#40409 - 07/31/14 08:49 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: zacflame]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Zac, I think it would grow on almost anyone... with the usual (but easy to do) tweaking for your particular guitar / style / preference, JamUp can sound as good as ANY modeler. Hardware or software. A member of a JamUp Users Group that I belong to claims to have a Kemper and POD HD 500, and to have had an Axe-FX and agrees with me... in fact, he wrote a post stating exactly that.

Nothing against the 11R - it's a great piece of kit, and very pro, but I truly appreciate that I can get the sounds I do out something as small as an iPad Mini or even an iPhone.

P.S. Zac, I'm curious... which patch did you find on ToneCloud? Did you like it?

Edited by Marc C. (07/31/14 08:49 AM)

#40410 - 07/31/14 08:56 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

P.S. Zac, I'm curious... which patch did you find on ToneCloud? Did you like it?

Not home at the moment, so I can't recall, it was in the country section, I know that, I will get back, when I get home, also bought a couple of expansion packs also 👍

#40532 - 08/07/14 03:24 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Steinmetzify Offline

Loc: SLC

Hey guys....FNG here. Was wondering how many of you have used the 11R and iPad modeling and how you think it compares. I've used my iPad for over a year now with an Apogee Jam, and have some really good tones dialed in...no issues with latency or anything. But....GAS, you know. I recently sold a guitar and have been wondering about direct recording solutions such as the 11R...the limitations of GarageBand is starting to get to me and I find myself wanting to use more of Reaper for clips and demos.

Would you compare it to the iPad stuff for me? Better, worse, more tube-like, better distortion, etc...I will say that I mostly play metal and some blues based rock stuff...I DO really love a good ambient intro with some cleans and delays, but the majority of my time is spent either on a 7-8 string playing brootz or on a LP doing blues rock stuff with delay. Examples:

LP rock stuff:

https://soundcloud.com/steinmetzify/mlpaugust-simpler

7 string stuff:

https://soundcloud.com/steinmetzify/ampkitsso

I'm a huge fan of 5150 tones, for both cleans with delays and the brootz....for some reason I just always seem to come back to that amp, and I'd need a good workable model/preset for that.

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm going to notice enough of a difference in tones/feel to justify the cost for the 11R, or if it'd be better to just keep using what I've got.

Anyway....figured I'd ask. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

#40535 - 08/07/14 04:05 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Steinmetzify]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

The 11R is a great piece of gear when the time is taken to get the best out of it. Singtall's Superpack of 11R presets can take you a long way down that road and I'm sure you would enjoy having one.

That said - and this may upset some people - I think the tones you can get out of Bias (and JamUp, of course) are as good as ANYTHING out there. And it's only going to get better as more amp models and effects are made available. So, really, it comes down to personal preference.

There are pros and cons to either, of course.

11R pros:
Professional gear
Solidly built (I think)
Great DAC and USB interface
Lots of input / output options
Top-notch sound when used knowledgeably

11 cons:
Large (like all such units)
Somewhat noisy (at least, mine is, anyway)
Cannot be updated beyond its current amps / effects
Is essentially an orphaned Avid product

JamUp / Bias pros:
Very affordable
Editing sounds is easy
Very small and lightweight (because only for iPad/iPhone/iPod)
Incredible tonal quality & effects
Constantly updated with new features/amps/effects
Bluetooth control possible & easy with inexpensive pedals
Choice of many interfaces - iRig X, Apogee X, Line 6 X, etc.

JamUp / Bias cons:
Battery life may be a concern using certain interfaces (those that don't charge your unit at the same time)
You need an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch - and they're not cheap
Some updates from the company have caused problems with the software and it takes time to fix (I let others 'beta test' the updates before applying them to my iUnits, so I've been OK)

Those are the things I can think of at the moment, so it comes down to you, I suppose. Can you afford the 11R (you can get them new for a very good price, these days) without hurting your budget? Would you rather be playing through a proper, pro rackmount unit? If yes to both, the 11R is for you... and I'm sure you'll like it. Despite my defection to JamUp, I'm still on these boards because of the good people here, and I'm not selling my 11R because I still like it and may use it again someday.

#40537 - 08/07/14 04:19 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Steinmetzify Offline

Thanks for the reply man. So you're saying the 11R isn't leaps and bounds better tonally than the iPad stuff? Mostly that's what I'm concerned about...it'd be nice to go back to Reaper as a DAW as well, but not really necessary for what I do.

I was just wondering about it...I've heard great tones and if they were miles ahead of JamUp I'd jump on board just for different stuff but if not then I guess I'll stick with the iPad. You just saved me $300+. Thanks man...much appreciated.

#40538 - 08/07/14 05:05 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Steinmetzify]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I think it's purely a matter of opinion - not something right or wrong. My opinion is that the 11R is great but not better than JamUp or Bias. I also think it is certainly leaps and bounds above other iOS amp modelers. Amplitube, for instance, is pretty damned good on the desktop but sounds horrendous on the iPad... and I'm not sure why.

#40539 - 08/07/14 05:09 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Just for giggles, I recorded a few short snippets using JamUp on the iPad... The usual excuses apply : I wasn't warmed up, my strings are old and dead, and, oh yeah, I'm not an awesome player.

But take it for what it's worth...

http://www.proudproductions.com/JamUp-samples.mp3

P.S. No post-recording editing was used... I just normalized the track and shortened the spaces in between snippets.

Edited by Marc C. (08/07/14 05:10 PM)

#40540 - 08/07/14 05:26 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

do you already own an ipad/iphone?
do you need a soundcard to play with pc?
do ypu like plug n play?
if you said yes to 2 of this then i would consider the 11r,the best advice i can give you its to go to a shop and try it if you can wink

#40541 - 08/07/14 06:03 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Steinmetzify Offline

Yeah, I've been playing pretty much exclusively on an iPad for over a year now. I've got it dialed in pretty well and dig the tones, was just wondering if the 11R was an order of magnitude better. I guess for that I'd have to go all the way to an Axe II.

#40542 - 08/07/14 06:41 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Steinmetzify]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Mhh i think you should be surprised comparing the raw amps of those 2 units smile

#40543 - 08/07/14 07:05 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Steinmetzify Offline

Which two? JamUp and 11R or the 11R and the Axe?

#40544 - 08/07/14 07:36 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Steinmetzify]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Either or both, likely. Seriously, I think the Axe FX sounds great but I don't think it's much, if any better than the 11R for basic amp tones. I do prefer the effects in the Axe, though.

But is the Axe II better than JamUp? Well, here's a post I made on the Positive Grid Users Facebook page :

This past weekend I performed my solo show, along with another solo act, alternating sets. Pascal, the other musician, had an Axe-FX II and sounded great, but three times over the course of our two-night engagement, he sincerely complimented me on my sound.

Genuinely curious on the first night, he asked what I was using and was astonished when I showed him my iPads running JamUp. I think we have another convert to the Positive Grid camp.

#40545 - 08/07/14 07:43 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Steinmetzify Offline

Nice man! Decided then. Keeping the iPad and just saving the money towards a new guitar. Thanks guys!

#40549 - 08/07/14 11:02 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Steinmetzify]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

My only beef with the iPad is that every thing you buy to use with it is high dollar and the lightning port is limited to one connection and I use the line 6 sonic port and there is no way to get midi to it and have all the control I have with the 11r and my fcb1010 I'm hopping some one will come up with a new interface the doesn't use the 1/8 ear phone jack has a 1/4" In and out will charge at the same time and has a MIDI the alesis dock 2 is close but its expensive and I think the Epsi is my next acquisition.

#40550 - 08/08/14 12:17 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: jaminjimlp]
Steinmetzify Offline

See, I don't have that problem...I wouldn't use either of them live; I have amps for that...would be just for home recording and I don't really need to switch patches on the fly...can always load up another track with a different sound whenever I need to. This thing sounds great but is becoming more and more unnecessary the more replies I get and the more research I do.

Also, I always find myself coming back to basically 2-3 sounds and while the FX sound good in Soundcloud clips and YT vids, I don't really see my self using more than 5 patches, ever. I think I'm growing up and might have just successfully defeated the GAS.

If I could find a used one in good shape for like $200 or whatever I'd probably snag it just to try it out but I guess I just don't need it. Kinda bummed about it...this seems like a really cool forum and you guys are nice. smile

#40551 - 08/08/14 07:36 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Steinmetzify]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

If the tone matching on the upcoming bias is as good as they are claiming it to be, fingers crossed. I don't think I would need anything else, and would use my eleven rack at church, I have been holding out, waiting to see before I pickup another one on eBay, I mean let's dial up some Van Halen little dreamer, and put the the speakers on 11....

#40553 - 08/08/14 07:43 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Steinmetzify]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Steinmetzify, my amps live a comfortable, if boring existence, seldom leaving home. As a rule I run direct to the mixer from my iPads, without even using a specialized monitor (though I have one if needed). For monitoring, I just send the house mix back to myself through a miniature monitor on a mic stand.

Jim, you are quite correct... every peripheral for the iPad is expensive; many are outrageously so. The iRig Pros I use are an example. They're small, which is nice, but also have very limited features. For the same price as 1 iRig Pro I had also bought a Tascam US-200, which has 2 inputs, 4 outputs + headphones, proper MIDI in & out, dry/wet monitor knob and a separate headphone level knob. That was a real bargain compared to the IK gear.

You can thank Apple for that. Wallets for devices, for instance, were a couple, maybe a few dollars before smartphones & tablets became popular. Now most iPad wallets are $30-$50. Come on... for a folded piece of leather (or plastic)? Really? That's the nature of business... charge what the market will bear. And with all the Apple fans out there... it seems that that is a lot.

All that said - and while still not an Apple fan - I love my little valise of sonic goodness. It's pretty much as small as a guitar setup could be but sounds fantastic.

#40554 - 08/08/14 08:28 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

once jamup is available as a plugin for pc then i'll be all over it. i like the tone i got using an ipad2, but the latency was way too much.

#40555 - 08/08/14 09:03 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Bias is available for the Mac now, so I imagine it won't be long before they port it over to the PC. Hopefully JamUp won't be far behind.

The latency you experienced, Ross, is unfortunate. I don't notice any, even on my recent purchase - a silly little iPod Touch. I do know, however, that some people are more sensitive and intolerant of latency. I showed JamUp to a couple of my friends. One, a studio owner, liked the sound, but found the latency to be a little distracting. The other, the owner of a P.A. rental company, was amazed at the sound and told me he felt no latency at all. Go figure...

#40556 - 08/08/14 09:58 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

Bias is available for the Mac now,

How is the amp matching features?

#40557 - 08/08/14 10:02 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: zacflame]
Steinmetzify Offline

I think the latency has more to do with which version of the iPad you're using...I have a 64GB #3 (I think?) and there's no latency...I've noticed more people complain about it using the iPad 2 than not.

#40558 - 08/08/14 10:39 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Steinmetzify]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: Steinmetzify
I think the latency has more to do with which version of the iPad you're using...I have a 64GB #3 (I think?) and there's no latency...I've noticed more people complain about it using the iPad 2 than not.

+1 on this

I have an iPad 4th gen and the is no audible latency at all...
I love the tones I get from Bias and Jamup!!!

I am still waiting on this, either one of these would be perfect:

Here is one I hope they revamp for the lightning port and bring out, this was never launched.

Discontinued Alesis AmpDock Multi-Effects Guitar Processor for iPad

with the popularity of Bias and Jamup I think they might want to rethink this.

ONE MORE but no lightning connection... yet, hope they do it

iPB-10

#40559 - 08/08/14 11:16 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: jaminjimlp]
singtall Offline
veteran member

the ipad 2 is supposed to be pretty bad on latency, and mine is. if i already had a newer ipad then i would just roll with it, but i can't see spending $400-500 on a new ipad when i can go 11R for $300 and change.

#40561 - 08/08/14 01:08 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

No, Ross, it makes little sense to go out and buy a new iPad just for that one task. Of course, if the time comes for a new model for other things... well, then you've got yet one more reason.

Still, anyone who knows what the 11R is capable of will not look down their nose at someone using it.

#40580 - 08/10/14 09:13 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Austin Offline

Can the amp created in BIAS Desktop be imported to Jamup IOS? If it is possible, it will be even more attractive. Profiling the amp at home/studio, and take it anywhere.

#40581 - 08/10/14 09:18 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Austin]
Austin Offline

Marc, do you enable the low / ultra low latency mode on your iPad Mini / iPod Touch?

#40584 - 08/11/14 08:25 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Austin]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: Austin
Marc, do you enable the low / ultra low latency mode on your iPad Mini / iPod Touch?

I use the low latency mode, as opposed to the ultra-low mode.

There's a bit of a story behind this.

Some months ago, before one of the JamUp updates, I guessed (but didn't test, so I'll make up some numbers) that the Round-Trip Latency (RTL) was, say, 18ms in low, and 9ms in ultra-low so I used ultra-low... and all was well with the world. No clicks or pops.

Along came an update that decreased the two latencies to 10ms RTL (which I have tested) in low, and (I'll guess) 5ms in ultra-low. Suddenly, there was clicking and popping in ultra-low, even on the newer Retina iPad. This clicking issue caused a s**tstorm among users for a couple of weeks. PG claimed a fix and sent out an update. It seemed to help a bit but, in my case anyway, didn't completely stop the problem. All along, until that point, I didn't realize that latency was the issue - PG didn't mention that they had changed the RTL values.

I figured it out when I realized that I could get the same problem on my desktop and laptops by decreasing the number of samples. So... to make a long story even longer - I tried low mode and, lo and behold, the problem went away.

Whereas as before I had found low to have an uncomfortable RTL - unplayable, really - suddenly low was fine but ultra-low was causing me problems. I have left it in low on both iPads (and my new iPod) ever since.

To be honest, 10ms is low enough for me not to feel the latency, so I'm more than OK with the way things are now. Someday, if the processor power can catch up (on a future iPad) I may try ultra-low again. But as things are now, I could live happily ever after. And that's my story.

#40585 - 08/11/14 09:15 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

10ms is inpercettible to me smile

#40592 - 08/11/14 06:48 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Austin Offline

Thank you Marc. That's very good info. I was having problem with ultra low latency mode on my 3rd Gen iPad as well. Was thinking if that happens to the others or not

#40656 - 08/20/14 05:27 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Austin]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

hey guys i finally tried to load some programs into my new win 8.1 tablet (microsoft surface pro 2) and i have to say i loaded up reaper opened something like 16 tracks and a bunch of plugin per track and all gone well, so i think this thing can really hold everything you can need in a live/homestudio situation, i was also reading that the new revalver 4 have a dedicated modality for those kind of tablets, so for 299$ i got an intel i5 4gb ram 128gb ssd wich can hold quite everything, nice deal i say wink

#40657 - 08/20/14 07:31 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Nice! And I'm glad to hear the Surface is working out so well for you. For now the iPads are doing the trick for me, but I'm much more of a Windows guy so I'll be looking into those tablets eventually.

#40662 - 08/21/14 01:37 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Ill tell you mark,nothing can beat the simplicity and quickness of the iOS based device,but this is a good compromise IMHO smile

#40663 - 08/21/14 02:02 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Ps, iOS guys, Check this app out,its great! And now a free version is available!

ToneStack GO Arrives - All ToneStack Bundles on Sale Now!

ToneStack GO is the new free version of ToneStack, available now in the App Store. It comes with one amp, one cab, and 7 awesome effects. To celebrate, all bundles (in both ToneStack and ToneStack GO) are on sale! Regular bundles are 50% off and the Motherload bundle is 40% off

#40675 - 08/21/14 04:59 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

#40676 - 08/21/14 05:23 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I downloaded the free version. It's difficult to make a sweeping judgement with the little they offer but I thought the effects were quite good as was the functionality, but the amp didn't impress me. It just didn't have the richness and authentic sound that JamUp offers.

I know that I could buy a bunch of other amps and effects but for the moment I'm very pleased with the sound I have and can't justify spending more money.

Still, having some competition for Positive Grid is a good thing. It may keep them on their toes.

#40677 - 08/21/14 05:38 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

I downloaded the free version. It's difficult to make a sweeping judgement with the little they offer but I thought the effects were quite good as was the functionality, but the amp didn't impress me. It just didn't have the richness and authentic sound that JamUp offers.

I know that I could buy a bunch of other amps and effects but for the moment I'm very pleased with the sound I have and can't justify spending more money.

Still, having some competition for Positive Grid is a good thing. It may keep them on their toes.

the competition thing is what i was thinking too wink but believe me you can get good sounds from this app,especially if you use the dual amp chain thing, lets keep in mind its a 15 day old app wich will be improved a lot in the future (in the yonac style) they already put out 2 bugless update wich improved the sound a bit and added some functionality ,and afaik they are working/thinking on impulse response loader wink

#40678 - 08/21/14 05:51 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Ps go to the audio pref. menu and set the simulation quality to the max,by default it's in the middle way

#40682 - 08/22/14 08:22 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I didn't delete the app, so I'll keep messing around with it... and I'll check the sim. quality setting. One small thing I do like is the CPU meter... that's a nice touch.

#40727 - 08/26/14 02:25 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

i have a promo code for tonestack app, 1st come 1st serve smile

#40732 - 08/26/14 08:22 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

how do you get it?

#40734 - 08/27/14 01:08 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: jaminjimlp]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

By subscribing to their newsletter smile

#40736 - 08/27/14 07:49 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

What does this promo code offer?

#40737 - 08/27/14 07:57 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

I signed up but aint got no code yet?!?!?!?

#40738 - 08/27/14 10:03 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: jaminjimlp]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Tue promo code is valid to download a full(basic) version of tonestack smile
1st to Say "i want it" will get it smile

Jim they randomly send codes time by time smile

#40739 - 08/27/14 11:27 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I want it.

#40740 - 08/27/14 01:17 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Sent smile

#40743 - 08/27/14 04:14 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Thanks, Christopher.

#40758 - 08/28/14 05:24 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

unfortunately marc couldnt redeem the code, so its still here for grabs wink

#40805 - 09/02/14 12:23 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

#40956 - 09/10/14 04:05 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

bias desktop is out!!! demo and premium version available! check it out!

https://store.positivegrid.com/

#40957 - 09/10/14 06:04 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Christophersad
bias desktop is out!!! demo and premium version available! check it out!

https://store.positivegrid.com/

AWESOME! I couldn't try it bc I had an older phone and no iPad. Was just about to try and record with Jamup from my iPhone but BIAS is so much better from what I've been hearing. Sounds more real than anything I've heard on a lot of tracks.

#40959 - 09/10/14 06:30 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: TLTD]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

This is the vst desktop version tltd!!! Go Check it out mate!!! I'll do tomorrow cause here it's too late smile

#40961 - 09/10/14 06:32 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: TLTD]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Bias is not better... it's a different program altogether; one that can work in conjunction with JamUp.

The idea being that you model your amp in Bias then export it to JamUp, where you add any effects you want, thus making a complete signal chain.

While you can use Bias as your one and only tone instead of JamUp, there is more latency in Bias. In a DAW that wouldn't matter of course, but for live use JamUp is the better choice. Despite what some have said, the amps you create in Bias do sound identical in JamUp if volumes are matched.

That said, Bias for desktop will be a killer app for recording - especially considering it has a new tone-match feature.

Personally, though, I'm hoping for JamUp for desktop. I just like the idea of a one-stop shop for the guitar tracks in any project.

#40964 - 09/10/14 06:46 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

I'm guessing BIAS Desktop is gonna be a lot like Peavey ReValver, and not need Jamup and probably cause further confusion for me on how they work together all over again lol

Whoops, I needed the 32 bit version for Cakewalk Music Creator 6 Touch, got too excited and got the 64 bit version. I'll shut up now.

https://store.positivegrid.com/download

Edited by TLTD (09/10/14 07:02 PM)

#40965 - 09/10/14 07:26 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: TLTD]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

BIAS AMPS by Neuronicism, on Flickr

Will have to try it out another time, but got it installed for now. Looks identical to the iPad versions I think.

#40967 - 09/11/14 07:58 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: TLTD]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

If it isn't the same look, it must be very close...

I don't like coming across like a cheap so and so... but I have to wonder why they've upped the price for the desktop version by 500%. If they were able to design the app from scratch for iOS and sell it for $20, surely porting it to Windows & Mac, and adding one feature - tone matching - can't have taken any longer than the original work. This seems like a cash grab to me. While I'd very much like to have this, I'm not going to pay $99 for it. Maybe if they have a 75% off sale... otherwise, no.

#40969 - 09/11/14 11:48 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

well marc i agree with you, but the app and vst world are 2 totally different things, there must also be a big difference in performance and sound and i think they reworked all the algorythm ,if noth its a nosense. anyway every app wich have a vst equivalent cost about 1/5 of the vst version, still 99 is too much for a vst wich does only 1 thing, there are vst wich does decent amp and lot of fx for the same price if not less and for now bias has not much things like dual cab dual amp etc,i hope they lower the price (and im sure there will be lot of offers) if not im not gonna pay 99 wink
my top price for that vst should be something like 49$

#40976 - 09/11/14 05:38 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

A $20 launch special would've made more money, and the $5-20 app prices are why iOS devices sell. I think maybe though they think if you're a Mac or PC person, you'll shell out more but more than likely people will just go find a hacked version until they got the $100. $100 is good though if it's the best amp sim out there. ReValver used to be $250, bx_rockrack was $200 or so and didn't even have that much with it. Free amp sims are out there, but there's something better about the cabinets in BIAS that got my attention.

#40979 - 09/11/14 05:57 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: TLTD]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

i had a talk with some devs, and they said its quite a port, so the algos are the same than bias ios,but the app wiull have more features and some surprise (they say) in the near future update.......i would tell them "so you are willing me to pay 99$ for a mere port of a 15$ ios app on my pc?" but then i tought they will maybe learn the lesson the hardest way..... ps:now bias pc is 149 instead of 99.......99 was the launch price for the 1st days.................

#40980 - 09/11/14 06:46 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Just read about ReValver 4 being $99, new engine & a Gig mode to switch seemlessly between presets. Something to keep an eye out for. That kind of thing would be good in the app world too I would think. People were getting decent sound with IRs on the previous version. I expect every guitar sim to nail it from now on and be affordable too. No excuses.

TSEx50 has a retail version for like $20 and was one of the best free sims and now comes with some cabinets so highly recommend trying that out if you want a good cheap VST. I think you can still get the free ones, x30 & x50 are both good if you have decent cab IRs to load and don't mind adding more plugins for every chorus/delay/reverb effect, etc.

#40982 - 09/11/14 07:22 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: TLTD]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I agree with a lot said on this topic... algorithms would have to be the same since they have to run on iOS versions as well. I didn't know about TSEx50... very cool. Also, TLTD, I agree they'd have sold WAY more copies at $20 than $99... let alone $150... more than enough to make up the difference in price. I think virtually every JamUp / Bias user would have bought a copy were it kept at the same price as the iOS version.

While it may be quite a job porting to Mac & PC, I refuse to believe it took longer than it did to originally create the software. It's just not possible for it to be otherwise. If they can make a profit (and they do) selling apps at $20, the only reason to up the price, particularly by such a huge amount, is to fleece their customers.

Well, maybe I am a cheap so and so, after all, but I won't buy it. $25... tops... that's all they'll get out of me for this app. I've already given them plenty of money for apps & in-app purchases. I don't regret it, mind, I'm extremely happy with the sounds I have and the way things are working. But I won't be ripped off. For me it's always a matter of value... not how much something costs. A $10 breakfast can be a rip-off, and a $20 breakfast can be a good deal... it depends on what's being offered... food, service, atmosphere, and so on.

Anyway... rant over.

#40985 - 09/12/14 12:08 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i wouldn't mind even paying $150 if it sounded just like the ipad version and included some effects and the ability to switch presets without a glitch. if it did that, it would turn your pc into an axe-fx.....which would be a great deal at that price.

i'll wait until my wish list comes true before i buy into it. it would need to make my pc gig worthy for me to shell out the bucks again.

#40989 - 09/12/14 05:08 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

well guys,the infamous "amp matching"can be easily done with 2 free plugin,and you can even save your matching into an impulse file wich can be reloaded everywhere you want,so,if i have to use bias as a vst into a daw with a computer to do an amp match for 150$i still can use 11r or free plugins and do ampmatching with 2 other free plugins...just sayin

#40996 - 09/12/14 07:47 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Ross, I would imagine it sounds just like the iPad version, assuming you play it through the same speakers...

I think that PG will eventually port JamUp to the PC and Mac as well, rather than add effects to Bias. It's just another way for them to make more money off each customer.

A while back, just before I got the 11R I was running Overloud TH2 on a laptop for my guitar sound. I really liked the sound I was getting but for some reason the USB port in which the interface was plugged started crashing. Unpredictably, and fairly often. Obviously stability is key; it's even more important than having a good sound, so I needed another solution. Enter the Eleven Rack and the start of this whole adventure. My point is that the PC may not be the way to go... too much stuff going on in the background for it ever to be truly stable. That said, as you know, I currently run iPads for my sound and those are computers... But they're stable, I must admit.

#41001 - 09/12/14 09:34 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

I could hardly get mine to run, on my computer, it runs everything else fine including s gear, 150 seems very excessive to me, the 11 rack plus the own hammer impulse responses are still the way to go for me, I was pumped up but not so anymore.....

#41002 - 09/12/14 09:40 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: zacflame]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

I wonder why the website still says coming soon

#41008 - 09/12/14 04:53 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: zacflame]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

They should just make an all in one pedal with all the Jamup & BIAS stuf, and sell it for $150 lol Even 250 with a foot pedal could be the thing. It would be so much more useful if it didn't need to run off a device or PC/Mac. Maybe that $150 will go toward the R&D, so as soon as we all buy it, they'll have the better all-in-one rack unit with foot pedal. I really see this moving onto a self contained FX unit since they've ported it already. Price point though, who knows who they'll be competing with, Line 6 or Fractal. That thread will be all the rage in 2015 lol

#41009 - 09/12/14 04:56 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: TLTD]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

the peavey muse was a guitar box produced to load vst but it got no love from the users frown

#41010 - 09/12/14 06:23 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I'd never even heard of the MuseBox. I love the idea of it but from what I've just heard (on YouTube), well, let's just say that it didn't win me over, tone-wise. Still, that's the idea... a computer that isn't running the distraction and resource-hog that is Windows, and that's essentially what the 11R, Kemper and Fractal units are.

If PG did it right, though, I think it would cost an awful lot more than $250... and without expression pedals, at that. Would I like one? Absolutely! Would I be willing to pay big bucks for it? Not likely. No, I think I like my current setup... small, lightweight, great sound and capable of running all kinds of software besides the PG stuff, should I choose to go that route.

#41011 - 09/12/14 06:37 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Well marc, lot will depend on wich software vst you load on the musebox,but the idea was great smile I totally agree the rest you said

#41012 - 09/12/14 06:44 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

You're right. Load TH2 or Kuassa on there... then we'd hear something special. cool

#41013 - 09/12/14 07:07 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

#41015 - 09/12/14 08:57 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Yeah... that SM Pro looks nice but it's not for guitar... no proper input. The price of that Muse, though... yikes. I guess it's no surprise they haven't made waves in the industry.

#41020 - 09/13/14 05:57 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

the v machine has a guitar/line input, can be used,but its a bit underpowered right now cause it hasnt been upgraded since then,there was a guitar floorboard version wich sadly remained a prototype frown... the receprtor is a bit pricey its true, but its a preofessional tool,not a toy and it can do everything,not just guitar smile you can plug an entire band in the receptor and go live without a single other effect/amp/pre/ everything wink you can find used receptor for like $500

#41081 - 09/16/14 12:40 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

bah guys i tried the bias vst demo and all i can say its that it disappointed me... first of all the limitation on the demo are too severe, audio dropout every 7/10 second cant really make you happy.... then soundwise its the sema of iphone version thoug it has more bugs...and i was really expecting more... eqs have some bad interactions and reverb is baddy...on top of that they want me to pay 150$ for a mere port of a 15 $ app....... disappointed again

here some review wich says quite all i think
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=420375

#41084 - 09/16/14 01:23 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Look, I'm as much of a Positive Grid evangelist as any you'll meet. That said, there is no way in hell they'll get $150 from me for Bias desktop. Nor will they get $100. Or even $50. This is the same app I paid $20 for - with one new feature (tone-matching) - ported to the PC. Sadly, this is what I expected when I read PG was creating this version... they're going to give us the shaft on price, I know it. It seems, regrettably, that I was correct. If you can make a profit selling the apps for $20... you can make a profit selling the PC version for $20. Sorry, PG... you lose this round.

Also, from what I've read, the restrictions on the demo make it virtually useless to even try out. What are they thinking?!?!?

#41085 - 09/16/14 02:09 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

dunno,really marc...so disappointed... btw give a shot to s-gear by shuffman, theres a demo, i think you will be surprised

#41284 - 09/25/14 12:11 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

To celebrate our *6 YEARS* of music apps on the App Store, all our apps are 99 cents today! Plus all ToneStack bundles are 50% off! Thanks for all your support!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/yonac-inc./id288670023

great stuffs guys only today at 99 cents!

#41290 - 09/25/14 04:39 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Amazing! I just picked up their Galileo Organ.

#41291 - 09/25/14 09:34 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
DCornelius Offline

I use an app called OnSong. I think it was $10 from the Itunes store. Great app with lots of support. Found out about it from a guy using it on a cruise ship.

#41293 - 09/26/14 05:18 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: DCornelius]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

Thanks Christophersad for the heads up, just picked up the motherload for half price

#41300 - 09/28/14 07:03 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: zacflame]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Yeah I think I'm done with VST stuff and need something that can bring the tones on the way in, BUT I like impulses & decent cabinets...so going to get another Eleven Rack soon and the EPSi to load up some Ownhammers, then I'll have what I wanted all along & maybe my kid can use it for his live stuff (or just keep it bc I haven't had the time). He's doing good on his Line 6 and will do even better with an 11R (probably without impulses like daddy has to use lol) And in all reality, if you want to utilize your DAW to the fullest, it's going to be busy with your drum sampler, synth, console EQs, and mastering stuff and the last thing it needs is to be running amp sims.

#41304 - 09/28/14 01:03 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: TLTD]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Where the sound comes from is far less important than being happy with the tone in the first place. If VSTs aren't your thing, or aren't practical... then you're quite correct to put them aside. Go with what makes you happy... happy ears make for better playing.

#41452 - 10/08/14 07:46 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Austin Offline

I finally tried the Tonestack, it has much lower latency than Jamup/BIAS on my iPhone 5. It is almost undetectable. However, it doesn't sound as polished as Jamup/BIAS. I really hope Positive Grid can improve the latency issue, then I will be very happy.

#41460 - 10/09/14 09:13 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

I'm still going through some options wondering if it'll be Eleven Rack/EPSi or X interface/Bias...This makes it sound great, and I enjoyed the feel of the Jamup app a lot esp for leads...but damnit, I don't want to rely on a laptop or a phone. Eleven Rack is about $300 or so on eBay now & my son might like it and I can use apps when he is out jamming or whatever.

This video tonematched a Steve Vai lead tone & it sure sounds like Vai's perfect lead tones. I just gotta give credit where credit is due, people are getting great sounds with this plugin now. I honestly haven't had much time to test it because my kid is getting stingy with lending his guitar so I don't even know what I can do with it, but need a better interface that can give us zero latency in Cakewalk (like Echo Audio PCI card with a breakout box or something), then I might as well get 11R for that price lol

#41461 - 10/09/14 09:16 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Austin]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

I finally tried the Tonestack, it has much lower latency than Jamup/BIAS on my iPhone 5. It is almost undetectable. However, it doesn't sound as polished as Jamup/BIAS. I really hope Positive Grid can improve the latency issue, then I will be very happy.

https://soundcloud.com/bojan-tepic/the-noble-message
I loved this one^ I wasn't paying attention and just let Soundcloud keep playing and I had no idea it was this app. That's a GREAT tone & playing is excellent man. Sounds like Steve Howe/Lukather/Timmons...all the greats. Bravo.

Edited by TLTD (10/09/14 09:17 AM)

#41464 - 10/09/14 11:46 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: TLTD]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

So, which app was it? JamUp or Tonestack?
Whichever it was, it sounds fantastic.

#41469 - 10/09/14 12:09 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: TLTD]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: TLTD

https://soundcloud.com/bojan-tepic/the-noble-message
I loved this one^ I wasn't paying attention and just let Soundcloud keep playing and I had no idea it was this app. That's a GREAT tone & playing is excellent man. Sounds like Steve Howe/Lukather/Timmons...all the greats. Bravo.

as far as i know that was not played with apps, i think it was 11r+roland gr55

#41471 - 10/09/14 12:44 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

According to what I read in the comments, this was the GR-55 re-amped. Not sure if that means a track re-amped through the GR-55, or originally played through the GR-55 then re-amped through something else.

#41472 - 10/09/14 01:08 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

ill ask to bojan and report back, so we solve the case! wink

#41474 - 10/09/14 01:10 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

Anyone try the desktop version of bias yet, I mean the bought version, seems they are having some funky things going on just to buy the software ?

#41475 - 10/09/14 01:24 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

ok the answer is :

this is played on roland gr with ,gk3 pickups

#41482 - 10/09/14 06:31 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: zacflame]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Positive Grid is issuing download passes, essentially... you sign up... maybe you get the opportunity to buy it. I guess this is a post-beta testing phase to make sure some (I won't say all) of the bugs are worked out.

#41483 - 10/09/14 06:33 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Hmmm... Roland GR, GK3... never would have guessed that. I suppose, then, that the sound really does come from the Roland GR55. Well, in any case, it's a great tone...

#41539 - 10/13/14 11:05 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i just heard of this software and it has a lot of possibilities:

http://www.tseaudio.com/home

#41586 - 10/15/14 07:00 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I just put up a video with snippets from a show we played on Sunday, October 12. Bit of self-criticism... the guitars were too low in the mix. Other than that, I'm reasonably pleased with the result.

My sound is, as usual, coming from JamUp, and is running straight into the P.A. systems. No dedicated guitar monitor... just a bit of the mix going into a couple of tiny powered monitors... that were pointed at the other guys.

#41588 - 10/15/14 11:10 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Markus Offline
advanced member

Loc: Deutschland
nice clip, Marc! What does it tell me regarding equipment? Well, just what nobody of us wants to hear: when the mix is done hardly anybody (and certainly not in the audience) will be able to determine if the guitar sound came from a Mesa Boogie Mark V, an 11R, an AxeFX or an iPad app. Dist sounds from your humbucker-strat are fat, chunky, kickin'. Great!
Great singer and great band, by the way!

#41594 - 10/16/14 10:48 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Markus]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Thanks, Markus. Yeah, Brian, even when he's tired from all the shows he does (that was the case here), still has a great Blues voice.

I agree, too, that it's getting really hard to tell what the sound source is. In the end, we, as musicians, have more choice of great sounds than ever before. I still really like my 11R, and I won't be selling it, but the iPad option is just much more portable and convenient for me, especially considering I also have to carry the P.A. and lights as well the instruments.

I bought that particular Strat because I liked the neck feel, and while it's not quite as 'fast' a neck as my other Strats, it plays really well. I did replace the neck & bridge pickups, though, with SD Pearly Gates, and I really like the sound of those for what I do.

#42078 - 12/07/14 09:04 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
DaytonFlyer Offline
advanced member

Consider me among the converts to jamup/bias. I started out using jamup pro XT and bias on an ipad 2. While the jamup plug interface was ok and the ipad had some latency, I could see the potential. I then tried it on my iPhone 5s, which has a much better processor than the ipad 2, and even with the 1/8" jamup plug, I was hooked. I've since purchased an iPad mini retina that has the new A7 chip and a focusrite itrack dock that plugs in via the lightning port. There is 0 latency and it is extremely stable. Using a bias amp I tweaked, I am getting the tone I always tried to squeeze out of my 11R and every other amp and modeller I've owned but never could. I also agree with Marc C that when set up properly and using a powerful ipad, the tone is as good or better than anything I got out of the 11r, and that's saying a lot because I was happy with the eleven and gigged with it for almost 3 years. The 11 was sold and my new live rig is guitar>Korg pitchblack tuner>morpheus droptune>morley tremonti wah>itrack dock with iPad mini retina, and one output goes to the board and the other goes to my two daisy chained alto ts112a's for stage volume. I'm changing presets with an IK blueboard. It's such an easy setup and sounds absolutely phenomenal to my ears.

#42087 - 12/08/14 03:16 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: DaytonFlyer]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

ive tried everything, but i cant say the same, i still feel the 11r in some way is a little superior, at least in feel (maybe its the poweramp compression emulation)
but those apps are developing at quantum speed...every day they get better and better

#42093 - 12/08/14 06:21 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I did something interesting a few weeks ago...

Just for fun, I brought out my 11R and plugged it into the front input of my Duncan 84-40 amp. I also plugged one of my iThings into my Alto TS110A. Using my Boss NS-2 (output & send), I split my guitar, sending it into both units simultaneously. If the 11R sounds great and JamUp sounds great... and they do..., together the sound was thunderously awesome.

My neighbours probably hate me now... and it's not something I'll abuse them with regularly, but holy moley... it was quite an experience.

If ever I start a regular gig with a full band (including a drummer, in other words) and need stage volume... this is the rig I'll go with.

But yeah, JamUp is just amazing for what I do. Just last Saturday we played to another sold-out show with Brian Tyler headlining, and all three of us on stage were floored by how good it sounded.

#42099 - 12/09/14 05:22 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

I did something interesting a few weeks ago...

Just for fun, I brought out my 11R and plugged it into the front input of my Duncan 84-40 amp. I also plugged one of my iThings into my Alto TS110A. Using my Boss NS-2 (output & send), I split my guitar, sending it into both units simultaneously. If the 11R sounds great and JamUp sounds great... and they do..., together the sound was thunderously awesome.

My neighbours probably hate me now... and it's not something I'll abuse them with regularly, but holy moley... it was quite an experience.

If ever I start a regular gig with a full band (including a drummer, in other words) and need stage volume... this is the rig I'll go with.

But yeah, JamUp is just amazing for what I do. Just last Saturday we played to another sold-out show with Brian Tyler headlining, and all three of us on stage were floored by how good it sounded.
marc your sound is in tha hands wink

Edited by Christophersad (12/09/14 05:23 AM)

#43996 - 06/27/15 06:07 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

big big update to tonestack app today!now it can load other inter app audio apps as effects in the chain!!! that means you can load bias or jamup into tonestack then use for example bias amp and tonestack double chained effects ecc, but most of all this means you can actually load ir's in tonestack!!!
go check it out guys!

#45360 - 04/02/16 06:52 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

so any news on this front guys?any new apps or triks?

#45379 - 04/16/16 06:23 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

The only 'news' I'm aware of isn't even new... Of course, I refer to Bias FX, which I purchased a while back when Positive Grid was having a sale. I've only messed around with it for an hour or two but really liked it. Being able to run dual amps is, naturally, the best feature, IMO.

But I have a major gripe with PG. They won't allow me to run Bias FX on my iPods, despite the fact that the 6th gen iPod is more powerful than my iPad Mini 2, which can run the app without issue. So, I have an app I like, and want to use, but because of some arbitrary policy decision on the part of Positive Grid, isn't getting used. You might ask why I don't simply use my iPads instead of iPods... Well, 1) my setup is such that the iPods are a better fit and 2) my iPads are being used for keyboard sounds, in different cases and with different hardware.

Bottom line... PG are pissing me off with this decision.

#45381 - 04/17/16 12:17 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

well i dont like many points in their policy too frown

#45418 - 05/16/16 10:29 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Mr.Scotty Offline

Loc: Mexico
I have been using Bias Fx for a few months and have just started using it live. Imust admit it is covering gigs very well. I use the apogee Jam into an ipad. Running cable from headphone out with a good XLR ended cable. Set the PA imput flat with no fx. I am having no latency issues. No noise either. It took a bit of work to dial in excellent clean tones but they are in there. Not a Metal guy and a lot of the presets lean that direction....much the same as my 11R. The first live tryout was at a Jam. When I started to set up the host said "I hope you are not planning on using that...we are 0 for 8 on ipads". It sounded great and he asked what I was using. Had my cleans and was able to roll in some dirt from the guitar. I have ordered BT 4 footswitch for better control of presets plus adding an expression pedal all through bluetooth. I am certainly not giving up the 11R. Love it too much....thanks to Singtall!

#45422 - 05/19/16 05:10 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Mr.Scotty]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

me too,in the end im still using my 11r always at home,its too comfortable and easy too use...and it still sound gr8,but i have a lot of fun with those apps too wink

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 ... 21 22 >