Page 8 of 22 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39960 - 06/27/14 03:17 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
This bias/jamup thing is really going out of control smile they are now launching a desktop version of bias whit the addition of an amp matching feature like the axefx, and right today they started asking if we would like to load bias into a dedicated hardware of some sort...great things I say smile

#39986 - 06/30/14 12:43 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

Every time this gets bumped up, I plug Bias back in, but for me I just have not been happy with it, maybe iam doing something wrong, but sgear or Vermillion is so much better in my opinion, maybe a desk top version will be better, I really think it's the process power of the iPad, still Eleven Rack to me sounds great still after all these years

#39988 - 06/30/14 01:08 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: zacflame]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
There's no question that the 11R is a great piece of kit, but Bias is a different beast altogether; you can dive deep into every element that makes a guitar amp, well, a guitar amp. It's more customizable than any any modeler I've ever heard of. You truly can dial in whatever works best for your particular guitar, playing style, and tone requirements. That said, while it was easy to get the tones I liked for my guitars, I did have a fair amount of difficulty getting good sound for my guitarist's parts-bin SG. I think he has some weird pickups in there or something. We finally did dial in some good tones but it took a lot of fiddling.

Pairing Bias amps with JamUp is great for getting those live presets happening. There are so many pedals to choose from that it's hard to imagine not finding what you want, though it may cost you a bit for those in-app purchases... but still WAY cheaper than buying actual pedals.

I know it's entirely subjective because 'good tone' is such a personal thing but, really, whether you use the 11R or a DAW-based software or an iPad, as long as you're pleased with the results it's all good.

Finally, while it's no surprise that a Mac or PC has way more processing power than an iPad, it all comes down to what that power is used for... If you're running a DAW with 3 reverbs, a couple of delays, some chorus thing, a guitar amp modeler or two (or three or four, which I've done), a few softsynths, and a bunch of compressors, as well as tracking who knows how many audio & MIDI tracks, all that power is divided up for those many tasks. In my case, my iPads are running one thing only (aside from the OS, of course)... JamUp (when I play live). And there's plenty of grunt in an iPad to do that... significantly more processing power, in fact, than the 11R has. So if the 11R can manage - and sound great - there's no reason an iPad can't offer the same. It's all a matter of taste... what sounds best to you.

#39991 - 06/30/14 03:27 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

marc c, iam not knocking it in anyway,i watched your video and it sounded great, it is a great concept for sure, i guess iam not much for tweaking, like i said maybe iam doing something wrong, its just everything sounded so close together to me, i cant hardly tell one amp from the other on the rock side......

i did get to play an orange reverb 50 at chicago music exchange this weekend, my first ever , i tell i was pretty amazed how good it sounded, been saving up for a rectoverb boogie, but now iam not sure, of course it was 2500.00

iam sure its just a matter of time before we get some axe fx quality on a cheaper scale and bias might just be it ........

#39994 - 06/30/14 04:19 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: zacflame]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

i say lets wait for the desktop version and well see!
that amp matching is driving me nuts!

#39995 - 06/30/14 05:02 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Zac, I know you weren't knocking the app, and you are correct... getting your tones will involve tweaking and maybe more for some guitars (like my guitarist's SG) than others. For me, though, that's part of the fun. When there's a good graphical interface I enjoy diving into all the tools available.

Christopher - I too am eagerly awaiting the tone-matching feature on the desktop version.

#40022 - 07/03/14 12:15 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
Have any of you tried the "DI Driver" it is simply amazing!!! Way better than any other over drives that I've tried.
The thing that kills it for me is no easy way to add a foot switch, tried the air turn but it was expensive and quirky when you tried to connect it... I wish there was a way to connect my FCB1010 to it, the line 6 interface is great but the limits of the IPad lightening port sux! I would hate to have to buy another interface just to get midi functions, is there any blue tooth midi device I can get to hook up my FCB1010?

@Marc C. How do you manage this midi connection?

#40028 - 07/03/14 08:05 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: jaminjimlp]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Jim, I use the iRig Pro, which has both audio and MIDI input (but not output) to the iPad. That, in conjunction with the KMI MIDI Expander gets me hooked up to my KMI SoftStep.

If you want a Bluetooth connection you could either wait for the BT-4 from Positive Grid - and who knows when that will be released - or you could go for the IK Multimedia BlueBoard, which I have as a backup. Sometimes my guitarist uses it with my backup iPad as well. It works well, the connection seems stable. One of the nice features the BlueBoard offers - two 1/4" inputs for foot controllers (volume, gain, wah, whatever).

#40044 - 07/05/14 06:41 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

Anybody heard from positive grid on being a beta tester?

#40045 - 07/05/14 07:55 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: zacflame]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

i submitted every time they did a test but never get into one :(((

Page 8 of 22 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 22 >