Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38822 - 03/27/14 10:03 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hey Ross,
I'm surprised at the experience you've had so far with JamUp and Bias. The clicking issues are new to a recent update and will hopefully be fixed very shortly. That said, even in normal latency mode (in JamUp) it's not uncomfortable for me, though Ultra Low Latency is better... in fact, I don't notice any latency at all in that mode.

Just for fun why not download my Bias patch Marc Hvy Crunch and give it a whirl. Obviously it's tweaked for my pups (Duncan Pearly Gates, neck & bridge, on a Blacktop Strat) but I'd be curious to know how it sounds for you. The few amps I've made (if you want to try others) can be found under Marc C. I'm also quite fond of my Ctry-Blues Bias amp.

#38824 - 03/27/14 10:12 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Also, it must be said (though I'm sure you know) that everything else should be turned off. Turn off apps (not just minimize them), turn off wifi if you don't need it. This may help with latency, clicks and so on.

#38827 - 03/28/14 12:11 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
the latency i'm noticing changes from non-existent to crazy long. switching from jamup to bias to tweak an amp will cause really bad latency every time i try it.

once in jamup, it's not too bad most of the time. in bias, it's noticeable, but not too terrible in low latency mode.

right now, there is no way that i can see using this thing for anything other than a toy to play with. i need to have a more rock-solid experience with it before i would trust it to even record a track for a minute or two.

will keep everyone posted as i get more familiar with it.

#38828 - 03/28/14 12:32 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Markus Offline
advanced member

Loc: Deutschland
Ross, I fiddled around with Bias and Jamup Pro XT for some time. It does sound great and also feels good, much better like most cheap modelers. However, it has glitches, esp. when switching from BIAS to Jamup and vv. The latency is one of them: when I play in one app only, there's little latency, when I switch, it increases. A lot of the latency issues with BIAS are related to the interface. Apogee Jam seems to work fine for most people, iRig, Griffin Stompbox and other cheaper ones don't. I have a Roland Duo Capture EX that is very comfortable and also supports MIDI which is nice. It works well. But I also wouldn't dare to use the iPad-based modeling live. It's too fragile, both in build quality as well as in stability of performance. But I think BIAS is the first app that really can compete with stuff like the 11R. Also the tweaking options are extremely detailled and much more realistic than in simple modelers (including the Fender Mustang, which I own as well), where those options in most cases feel more like drastic eq changes rather than like realistic tweaks to an amp.

#38836 - 03/28/14 09:08 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Markus]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i have been able to get some decent tones out of the bias/jamup rig, but nothing that feels like the eleven rack. in the app, they didn't model poweramp compression in quite the same way that the eleven rack does. i'm having to do a lot of tweaking to get something that has as much gain/but cleans up as the singtall krunch preset for the eleven rack.

#38838 - 03/28/14 11:14 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Recently, as a result of the messed up update to JamUp, I took out my 11R to make sure all was still working properly in case the JamUp issue wasn't resolved.

There is no question that the 11R sounds great - and I would be very happy to keep using it on gigs. But not only is my iPad setup smaller and lighter, I really think it sounds as good as the 11R for my presets.

Most of my JamUp patches use amps I've created in Bias, so I've been able to tweak them - amps and effects - to my liking. And since I do not have ProTools, all the work done in my 11R was done with the knobs on the unit. That's very tedious and time consuming.

I would think that with the standalone editor (which I've not yet installed) this would no longer be the case, but since I'm quite pleased with the way my 11R patches sounds, I'm not sure I'll bother changing things up.

I guess it all comes down to choosing what works best for each of us. For me, right now, that is the iPad / JamUp combination. But my 11R is not going anywhere and if I play a gig where an actual amp is required you can bet that the 11R will be my preamp choice, into the front of my Seymour Duncan combo.

#38839 - 03/28/14 11:25 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Markus - I can't speak for all those who had bad experiences with an iRig but I suspect the main problem was as a result of using the original model - the one that plugged into the headphone output.

The HD model of the iRig, or the Pro (which is what I use) have the lightning (or 30 pin) digital connection. This makes all the difference in the world. I'm very happy with my choice... that said, I'm sure there are several interfaces available that are better still. My choices were limited by my requirements. The unit had to be small and it had to have MIDI in. Good sound, too, of course.

Edited by Marc C. (03/28/14 11:26 AM)

#38845 - 03/28/14 04:27 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i figured out how to close all apps in ios 7.1 and found there was over 16 apps running....that might account for some latency! i still hear some latency, but not too bad, it's workable now. running jamup in low latency mode is still a cracklefest, but regular mode sounds fine.

will work on presets more and report back.

#38849 - 03/28/14 08:58 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i spent too many hours tweaking amps in bias tonight.....only to find that i had no volume when i went back into jamup. i have to shut all apps down and restart jamup to hear anything after tweaking in bias. worked fine yesterday, but had more latency. latency fixed, now other problems came up. another issue is that i can't share/upload a preset. i also can't download presets. major bummer.

on the good side; i spent enough time with it to know how to tweak it and get a decent sound. i had to learn a bunch about how they set things up to get what i wanted, but it's pretty close. and they do a decent job of modeling power amp distortion, especially if you chose the EL34's.

i do find it odd that i can't find any info on the problems i'm having. there has to be a dedicated forum somewhere?

#38850 - 03/28/14 09:32 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Hi Ross,
Here's a Facebook page that's quite active for Positive Grid users:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/PositiveGridGroup/

I'm not sure what the issue is with having no sound in JamUp when going to it from Bias - that's never happened to me but you can ask the Facebook group.

As for sharing presets... you can share an amp built in Bias while in Bias using Tone Cloud. You can also share a JamUp preset BUT NOT if it uses a custom amp from Bias. It's a real bummer and I hope they address that soon. I am assuming you are using JamUp XT Pro, and not the free version. The paid version allows easy upload and download of presets (with the exception being the custom amp thing).

I agree with your assessment of modeling power amp distortion... it's a pretty cool feature and quite effective, I think.

Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 21 22 >