Page 14 of 22 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40558 - 08/08/14 10:39 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Steinmetzify]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
Originally Posted By: Steinmetzify
I think the latency has more to do with which version of the iPad you're using...I have a 64GB #3 (I think?) and there's no latency...I've noticed more people complain about it using the iPad 2 than not.

+1 on this

I have an iPad 4th gen and the is no audible latency at all...
I love the tones I get from Bias and Jamup!!!

I am still waiting on this, either one of these would be perfect:

Here is one I hope they revamp for the lightning port and bring out, this was never launched.

Discontinued Alesis AmpDock Multi-Effects Guitar Processor for iPad

with the popularity of Bias and Jamup I think they might want to rethink this.

ONE MORE but no lightning connection... yet, hope they do it

iPB-10

#40559 - 08/08/14 11:16 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: jaminjimlp]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
the ipad 2 is supposed to be pretty bad on latency, and mine is. if i already had a newer ipad then i would just roll with it, but i can't see spending $400-500 on a new ipad when i can go 11R for $300 and change.

#40561 - 08/08/14 01:08 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
No, Ross, it makes little sense to go out and buy a new iPad just for that one task. Of course, if the time comes for a new model for other things... well, then you've got yet one more reason.

Still, anyone who knows what the 11R is capable of will not look down their nose at someone using it.

#40580 - 08/10/14 09:13 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Austin Offline

Can the amp created in BIAS Desktop be imported to Jamup IOS? If it is possible, it will be even more attractive. Profiling the amp at home/studio, and take it anywhere.

#40581 - 08/10/14 09:18 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Austin]
Austin Offline

Marc, do you enable the low / ultra low latency mode on your iPad Mini / iPod Touch?

#40584 - 08/11/14 08:25 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Austin]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: Austin
Marc, do you enable the low / ultra low latency mode on your iPad Mini / iPod Touch?

I use the low latency mode, as opposed to the ultra-low mode.

There's a bit of a story behind this.

Some months ago, before one of the JamUp updates, I guessed (but didn't test, so I'll make up some numbers) that the Round-Trip Latency (RTL) was, say, 18ms in low, and 9ms in ultra-low so I used ultra-low... and all was well with the world. No clicks or pops.

Along came an update that decreased the two latencies to 10ms RTL (which I have tested) in low, and (I'll guess) 5ms in ultra-low. Suddenly, there was clicking and popping in ultra-low, even on the newer Retina iPad. This clicking issue caused a s**tstorm among users for a couple of weeks. PG claimed a fix and sent out an update. It seemed to help a bit but, in my case anyway, didn't completely stop the problem. All along, until that point, I didn't realize that latency was the issue - PG didn't mention that they had changed the RTL values.

I figured it out when I realized that I could get the same problem on my desktop and laptops by decreasing the number of samples. So... to make a long story even longer - I tried low mode and, lo and behold, the problem went away.

Whereas as before I had found low to have an uncomfortable RTL - unplayable, really - suddenly low was fine but ultra-low was causing me problems. I have left it in low on both iPads (and my new iPod) ever since.

To be honest, 10ms is low enough for me not to feel the latency, so I'm more than OK with the way things are now. Someday, if the processor power can catch up (on a future iPad) I may try ultra-low again. But as things are now, I could live happily ever after. And that's my story.

#40585 - 08/11/14 09:15 AM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Marc C.]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
10ms is inpercettible to me smile

#40592 - 08/11/14 06:48 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Austin Offline

Thank you Marc. That's very good info. I was having problem with ultra low latency mode on my 3rd Gen iPad as well. Was thinking if that happens to the others or not

#40656 - 08/20/14 05:27 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Austin]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
hey guys i finally tried to load some programs into my new win 8.1 tablet (microsoft surface pro 2) and i have to say i loaded up reaper opened something like 16 tracks and a bunch of plugin per track and all gone well, so i think this thing can really hold everything you can need in a live/homestudio situation, i was also reading that the new revalver 4 have a dedicated modality for those kind of tablets, so for 299$ i got an intel i5 4gb ram 128gb ssd wich can hold quite everything, nice deal i say wink

#40657 - 08/20/14 07:31 PM Re: how many of you used ipad guitar apps? [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Nice! And I'm glad to hear the Surface is working out so well for you. For now the iPads are doing the trick for me, but I'm much more of a Windows guy so I'll be looking into those tablets eventually.

Page 14 of 22 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 22 >