Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#35127 - 10/03/13 05:29 AM Re: Pro Tools 11 - almost there BUT... [Re: ADF]
PatriotsBuker Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: ADF
I appreciate you making this thread, because I've been considering the purchase of another 11R just to get PT11. It NEVER dawned on me that I wouldn't be able to edit 11R on it; and I am clueless when it comes to operating 11R from its controls.

The main attraction for me is - at least according to the Sweetwater catalog that arrived today - is PT11 can bounce 150 times faster than real time, meaning it can bounce mixes that are too big for one's computer (I'll admit I've run into that conundrum on more than one occasion!).

You will get two versions of PT if I understand this correctly. PT-10 (10.3.7 is the latest) will allow 11-Rack editing via on-screen embedded functionality. PT-11 will only allow changing from one Rig to another. Kind of bites, but it's not a huge concern for me personally. My 11-R sits directly to my left at shoulder level. No biggie. Besides, one should learn the onboard GUI in case they ever need it. At least that's what I tell myself. LOL

#35128 - 10/03/13 05:44 AM Re: Pro Tools 11 - almost there BUT... [Re: MRJSTUDIOS]
PatriotsBuker Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: MRJSTUDIOS
I'm surprised that any of you got PT11 working as advertised. Although both of my installs of it did function to the point of allowing me to setup a new session and have it function, both times it completely wrecked my PT10 install (which they specifically state will allow a co-install -- I had the correct version of both programs) AND it would NOT let me open ANY previously made Pro Tools session.

I got PT11 for free because of a deal on a prior purchase of Pro Tools 9, but it's just sitting now. PT10 is working pretty much flawlessly me for me now, I can use all of my plugins, and I don't experience the massively buggy-like-an-early-beta experience that I did with 11 for the short time I attempted to use it....

Perhaps PT11 running on Avid hardware is rock solid? I haven't tried that, nor can I afford it/need it at the moment. But as far as the non-hd version.... so far I'd call it a turd sandwich.

I've got no doubts that you did a complete un-install of everything. For me, that started with that awful iLok driver. I ended up with a new machine directly after it was released, but did get it working on my old one before it bit the dust. I had initial issues and decided to go as clean as slate as possible. I un-installed the iLok driver, 11-R driver, PT-HD (IIRC) driver and pro tools. I'm pretty sure I even blasted away ASIO. I did not un-install my plugs unless they had issues.

Kind of quietly, a new driver was released for 11-Rack way back in June. I didn't know that right away and probably had some issues related to that.

I then installed it all back again. I think Avid suggests installing everything as an admin, and then running PT as an admin. I did this on my new machine and it has been flawless.

As far as opening up old Sessions using the PT-10 version, I never had any sessions prior to the initial release of PT-10 a couple years ago. The only problems I had was lining up the I/Os when opening an old Session. there was a little message that popped up stating that not all the paths could be reconciled, or something like that. Google that message, but I think the solution was to go into the I/O menu and select or click "make default" to line up the file paths.

If you have other errors, post them here and someone should be able to offer a direction to go. If not, try the DUC, but make sure you get really specific or they get, um, grumpy. laugh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2