Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#35106 - 09/30/13 12:57 PM Pro Tools 11 - almost there BUT...
Justin Online   content

advanced member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Wanted to share my experience upgrading my Pro Tools HD|2 to HD Native system on a 2008 Mac Pro Desktop running Mountain Lion. Why do this? Really for the sole purpose of upgrading to Pro Tools 11 HD. Why do that? Because PT 11 and it's more expensive HD version are 64bit? Why is that cool? Because the software can now take advantage of all the CPU power and large amounts of RAM. Why is that cool? Because you can now have large amounts of audio plugins or virtual instruments without your computer hanging up. And also, yes, it sounds better. There are other mostly workflow enhancements to Pro Tools 11 that are cool, like the ability to bounce tracks in faster than real-time (offline bounce). So what's the catch? Well, no more RTAs and no more TDM plugins - they won't work at all. And it's been 101 days since Pro Tools 11 was released on June 21 and many, many folks are drooling waiting for 64bit AAX plugins to be released for Pro Tools 11 from 3rd parties like Slate Digital and many others. BUT there have been some that have arrived at the party...

McDSP plugins, Waves, Melodyne to name a few. I'm a big big fan of Waves SSL 4000. I think if you have this plugin alone you can mix with great results. I experimented with this over the weekend and I couldn't be much happier because with a whole lotta plug ins, Pro Tools 11 is rock solid. HD Native is cool too if you use 96 IO, 192 or new Avid IO interfaces.

So what else is missing. Ahhhh we need the Eleven Rack editor back in Pro Tools 11. Right now you can change presets but you can't edit patches. I know, wtf right? Well, Avid should be adding it back soon. But if you want this, and I know you do, please write them and tell them. I suppose they could do a standalone editor but, for me, I really like it right there in Pro Tools. I can have a session player in and dial in a great tone in seconds with my trusty 11 rack.

Hope this helps and if you have questions post them here.

Oh and btw, if you like, notice the countup timer I made (days change dynamically). http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/pt11aaxcountuptimer.html

#35107 - 09/30/13 01:24 PM Re: Pro Tools 11 - almost there BUT... [Re: Justin]
mikefont Offline
veteran member

Loc: H-Town
Way ta go with that countup timer Justin!

The lack of the 11R editor and the shortage of AAX plugins is what's keeping me from upgrading to PT11.

Spread the word and HOPEFULLY Avid will listen sick

Edited by mikefont (09/30/13 01:24 PM)

#35110 - 10/01/13 06:31 AM Re: Pro Tools 11 - almost there BUT... [Re: mikefont]
sax Offline
advanced member

The lack of the 11R editor and the shortage of AAX plugins is what's keeping me from upgrading to PT11.

. [/quote]

Word, i would of had PT11 if it wasn't for the lack of 11R UI window.

saxon j

#35113 - 10/01/13 08:56 AM Re: Pro Tools 11 - almost there BUT... [Re: mikefont]
Intelli-Shred Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: mikefont
Way ta go with that countup timer Justin!

you know what they say down here about wishing.. wish in one hand.. s**t in the other and see which fills up first.
Morley Endorsing Artist
Nocturne Guitars UK Endorsing Artist

#35117 - 10/01/13 06:06 PM Re: Pro Tools 11 - almost there BUT... [Re: Intelli-Shred]
PatriotsBuker Offline
advanced member

To anyone not feeling the love from Avid and other vendors on the plug-in front, Google Blue Cat audio MB-7. It allows one to use VST plugs within PT-11, including VIs.

And it works!!!! Best $90 I've spent in some time. I always installed all versions of plugs I get, so I was ready. I can use my Native Instruments and Softube plug-ins.

It's a darned nifty plug-in even without the VST functionality.

#35119 - 10/02/13 09:43 AM Re: Pro Tools 11 - almost there BUT... [Re: PatriotsBuker]
Justin Online   content

advanced member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Yes I have this plugin as well. It should be well noted that you can only launch VST's that are 64 bit. 32 bit VSTs will not launch in Blue Cat MB-7.

#35120 - 10/02/13 01:27 PM Re: Pro Tools 11 - almost there BUT... [Re: Intelli-Shred]
mikefont Offline
veteran member

Loc: H-Town
Originally Posted By: Intelli-Shred
you know what they say down here about wishing.. wish in one hand.. s**t in the other and see which fills up first.

LOL...I was wondering what that smell was?!?!??! sick

#35121 - 10/02/13 02:27 PM Re: Pro Tools 11 - almost there BUT... [Re: Justin]
MRJSTUDIOS Offline
advanced member

I'm surprised that any of you got PT11 working as advertised. Although both of my installs of it did function to the point of allowing me to setup a new session and have it function, both times it completely wrecked my PT10 install (which they specifically state will allow a co-install -- I had the correct version of both programs) AND it would NOT let me open ANY previously made Pro Tools session.

I got PT11 for free because of a deal on a prior purchase of Pro Tools 9, but it's just sitting now. PT10 is working pretty much flawlessly me for me now, I can use all of my plugins, and I don't experience the massively buggy-like-an-early-beta experience that I did with 11 for the short time I attempted to use it....

Perhaps PT11 running on Avid hardware is rock solid? I haven't tried that, nor can I afford it/need it at the moment. But as far as the non-hd version.... so far I'd call it a turd sandwich.

Edited by MRJSTUDIOS (10/02/13 02:30 PM)

#35124 - 10/03/13 03:24 AM Re: Pro Tools 11 - almost there BUT... [Re: MRJSTUDIOS]
ADF Offline
advanced member

I appreciate you making this thread, because I've been considering the purchase of another 11R just to get PT11. It NEVER dawned on me that I wouldn't be able to edit 11R on it; and I am clueless when it comes to operating 11R from its controls.

The main attraction for me is - at least according to the Sweetwater catalog that arrived today - is PT11 can bounce 150 times faster than real time, meaning it can bounce mixes that are too big for one's computer (I'll admit I've run into that conundrum on more than one occasion!).

#35126 - 10/03/13 05:24 AM Re: Pro Tools 11 - almost there BUT... [Re: Justin]
PatriotsBuker Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: Justin
Yes I have this plugin as well. It should be well noted that you can only launch VST's that are 64 bit. 32 bit VSTs will not launch in Blue Cat MB-7.

Indeed. I'm fortunate that this does not affect me. My TP plugs are all 64-bit.....just notall 64-bit AAX. frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >