Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34428 - 08/14/13 12:58 AM Guitar volume knob with 11R
Griff Offline

I have found that all of my guitars thin out dramatically as I roll off the volume to lower the gain.

On my "real amps" I don't notice it, but it's really bad on the 11R.

I've tried all of the different impedance settings for the input and I don't notice a huge amount of difference.

Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

Also, I'm running via a wireless system and I go through a pedal or 2 usually before hitting the 11R. Am I perhaps doing something wrong?

#34429 - 08/14/13 03:07 AM Re: Guitar volume knob with 11R [Re: Griff]
Ciscokid Offline
advanced member

Have you got the gate switched on in the rigs? If so switch it off we never use the noise gate in the 11

#34431 - 08/14/13 08:02 AM Re: Guitar volume knob with 11R [Re: Ciscokid]
clint Offline

my 11r rolls off just like the amp modeled. couldn't ask for more accuracy.

i bet it's the gate as mentioned above.

i never use the gate.

#34432 - 08/14/13 10:14 AM Re: Guitar volume knob with 11R [Re: clint]
Bob Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa
hey Griff,

I assume you mean when you roll off the volume on the guitar to clean up the gain. Just like the others have said, I find that the 11R models of my amps roll off just like my actual amps do

I do use a little gate however, and that does not seem to affect things.

That said, I'd look at the gate first, as that tends to be the easiest to diagnose. Then look at the wireless. It is possible that a less hot signal from the guitar to the transmitter COULD cause some thinning by the time it gets to the receiver.

I don't use pedals anymore generally, because I find the FX within the 11R to be what I need. But, I have tried my very old rusty and trusty Foxx Tone Machine with 11R for grins.

I found that it sounded best in the FX loop instead of going guitar, tone machine, 11R.

I don't know if that helps, but just my experience.

#34434 - 08/14/13 12:02 PM Re: Guitar volume knob with 11R [Re: Bob]
Griff Offline

I don't use the noise gate anyway unless it is so dialed back that it only kicks on when the guitar is off.

I have several different amp heads and have played withnthe electronics in the guitars to get them to keep a consistent tone through most of the travel of the volume knob through all of my amp heads (and usually pedals in front.)

I just notice that with all of my guitars, regardless of whether I'm using the wireless or not, as I back off on the volume pot to lower gain it gets too thin pretty fast and there is definitely a "cliff" where it thins kind of all at once instead of a smooth taper like I am used to.

It sounds like others aren't experiencing the same thing though... oh and I notice this with all amp models I have tried (all the marshalls, soldano, SR, matchless and bogner.)

#34444 - 08/14/13 08:31 PM Re: Guitar volume knob with 11R [Re: Griff]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
i actually added a resister and capacitor to my guitar's volume control to make my guitar thin out more when rolling back the volume. i like the tone to sound like a clean amp simply by rolling back my volume....and the eleven rack does it well.

without the treble bleeder circuit on my guitar, the amp models tend to stay about the same as i roll back my volume.

the impedance matching feature rolls off some highs, so may try a setting like 90k to roll off the thin tone?

#34453 - 08/15/13 08:31 AM Re: Guitar volume knob with 11R [Re: singtall]
Griff Offline

Me too... all of my guitars have a variety of resistors and caps so that they stay pretty consistent. Without those circuits I find that the guitars darken up too much with an amp as I back off on the volume and the gain goes down.

It definitely is something the 11R does differently than what I'm used to, but that certainly doesn't make it wrong. I suspect that if I used several different amps like that I would find inconsistencies that way as well.

I do notice that using the 11R through Cab IRs the effect is not nearly as pronounced. And since I prefer the sound that way and have a way to play live that way (with Torpedo Live) I think I'm going that route and it will be a non-issue.

#34463 - 08/15/13 02:37 PM Re: Guitar volume knob with 11R [Re: Griff]
Intelli-Shred Offline
veteran member

My patches respond nicely to the volume knob.
Morley Endorsing Artist
Nocturne Guitars UK Endorsing Artist

#41669 - 10/23/14 10:26 AM Re: Guitar volume knob with 11R [Re: Intelli-Shred]
Brindle Offline

First post! I have been reading through the the archives...learned a lot about the orange box. This thread is about one of my experiences with the unit.
I'm really happy with it, my guitars have treble bleeds also and this unit is like having a clean amp and dirty amp at the same time when I roll my volume back from a driven tone to a cleaner tone.
I set my true z to 90k, going to try other settings.( was the best rolled down volume tone vs. driven tone). I almost want to load the input with a stomp box of some kind to trick this eleven r into behaving more like a real amp.
It really cleans up! I just do not like the crystal clear undertone creeping in.
I am resisting being a channel/patch changer only guitarist, may be a good solution.....I would surely miss my volume control on my guitar.

#41688 - 10/24/14 01:50 PM Re: Guitar volume knob with 11R [Re: Brindle]
Rob Wots Offline
advanced member

Loc: Manchester UK
no problems here, it cleans up very nicely when i roll down the vol, i don't use the gate either

#41696 - 10/26/14 08:53 AM Re: Guitar volume knob with 11R [Re: Rob Wots]
jlagrassa Offline

My PRS McCarty rolls off nicely with the 11R.

#41698 - 10/26/14 12:04 PM Re: Guitar volume knob with 11R [Re: jlagrassa]
Brindle Offline

Originally Posted By: jlagrassa
How does your PRS clean up in general on your average amp? I am certainly not complaining. I am noticing a hi-fi clean sound when I roll down my volume. And it comes in rather quickly. If I can't modify that part of the spectrum, I'm ok with it! Like mentioned, I have treble bleeds in my guitars.

Edited by Brindle (10/26/14 12:05 PM)

#41711 - 10/27/14 05:31 PM Re: Guitar volume knob with 11R [Re: Brindle]
jlagrassa Offline

Originally Posted By: Brindle
Originally Posted By: jlagrassa
How does your PRS clean up in general on your average amp? I am certainly not complaining. I am noticing a hi-fi clean sound when I roll down my volume. And it comes in rather quickly. If I can't modify that part of the spectrum, I'm ok with it! Like mentioned, I have treble bleeds in my guitars.

Really depends on the amp I'm use a Marshall DSL40C now and that amp cleans up great with the PRS, Treble bleed guitar ckts can thin out quickly and be a bit bright I've tried them but prefer the warmer and fatter clean up with out the treble bleed.

Edited by jlagrassa (10/27/14 05:34 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >