Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#33860 - 07/20/13 10:41 PM What mike should I get and can 11r replace a tube type preamp?
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
I need a really good recording mike but don't want to spend a fortune.....

Also is the 11r [I have read some posts on here that say the 11r mike pre is not real good] able to replace a high end mike preamp??? [may be a job for singtall]. In the 11r factory settings there is a "vocal" preset, now I haven't tried it out and I'm not real well versed in making vocal recordings and using preamps so what may sound good to me may not be "real good"...

I noticed that when I plugged up all my stuff to my "br1600cd" [because I had returned my sx2442fx beringer mixer on the pro coverage and needed to have practice] the mike had a very warm sound and I was thinking man that sounds so good!!!......

alright now its time to let you recording guru's tell whats up... even if your just starting I want your opinion. please if you can post a link to your sugestion that would be awesome...

Edited by jaminjimlp (07/20/13 10:42 PM)

#33861 - 07/20/13 11:08 PM Re: What mike should I get and can 11r replace a tube type preamp? [Re: jaminjimlp]
Gary88 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Vancouver, British Columbia
check out Carvin products and their factory direct prices are very reasonable.
ISP Decimator Noise Gate Pedal
'93 Warmoth Custom Strat w/ SD P/U & FR Original & Roland GK3
'89 Ibanez RG750 w/FR PRO, USA Custom Neck & SD JB & Jazz P/U
Yamaha HS7 Monitor Speakers

#33872 - 07/21/13 11:02 PM Re: What mike should I get and can 11r replace a tube type preamp? [Re: Gary88]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

this one looks pretty intresting.....

ctm100

Originally Posted By: Gary88

#33876 - 07/22/13 08:04 AM Re: What mike should I get and can 11r replace a tube type preamp? [Re: jaminjimlp]
Bob Online   content
advanced member

Loc: Iowa
Well what do you want to record? Vocals, guitars, drums? What type of mic do you have in mind? Condenser, dynamic, ribbon?

I know you were talking about the vocal preset, so should we assume vocal?

What kind of price range are you looking at? You can go to somewhere like Sweetwater and search in a specific price range.

The mic pre in the 11R is certainly not stellar, but it ain't all that bad either. Some pres can be noisy as a farrowing house, but the factory 11R is quiet and very neutral, in my opinion.

Yes, you can run it through a rig and color it any way you want to or not and process it in your DAW. Your choice there.

I use my 11R in combination with with my 003R + (8 mic pres). But, when I have used my 11R alone as the only interface to Protools, I have a fairly inexpensive 2 channel mic pre that I like and use on the line ins, as well as the factory pre.

I have recorded acoustic guitar with my 2 channel mic pre, set very transparent, and using certain micing techniques, get good sounding stereo audio. I will also use the pup on the acoustic guitar and go into the 11R DRY and mix all three together.

As for the mic, MY vocals come across best with a dynamic mic. I use a very old (1970 vintage) Shure Unisphere. On other vocals I have a variety of mics ranging from inexpensive MXL, and AKG to medium priced Rodes.

A microphone, just like a mic pre can color what it sends to the track, so I usually advise to get something that colors the LEAST. You can usually add additional color with FX.

#33877 - 07/22/13 09:31 AM Re: What mike should I get and can 11r replace a tube type preamp? [Re: Bob]
aussiebail Offline
veteran member

I can recommend this. I personally love it and it has great reviews. You could probably shop around for a better price.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MA200/

#33879 - 07/22/13 09:50 AM Re: What mike should I get and can 11r replace a tube type preamp? [Re: Bob]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

very interesting stuff there..... to answer your question... mainly vocals, maybe an acoustic guitar. I would like to stay around the $200 mark

how about these:MXLor MXL

Originally Posted By: Bob
Well what do you want to record? Vocals, guitars, drums? What type of mic do you have in mind? Condenser, dynamic, ribbon?

I know you were talking about the vocal preset, so should we assume vocal?

What kind of price range are you looking at? You can go to somewhere like Sweetwater and search in a specific price range.

The mic pre in the 11R is certainly not stellar, but it ain't all that bad either. Some pres can be noisy as a farrowing house, but the factory 11R is quiet and very neutral, in my opinion.

Yes, you can run it through a rig and color it any way you want to or not and process it in your DAW. Your choice there.

I use my 11R in combination with with my 003R + (8 mic pres). But, when I have used my 11R alone as the only interface to Protools, I have a fairly inexpensive 2 channel mic pre that I like and use on the line ins, as well as the factory pre.

I have recorded acoustic guitar with my 2 channel mic pre, set very transparent, and using certain micing techniques, get good sounding stereo audio. I will also use the pup on the acoustic guitar and go into the 11R DRY and mix all three together.

As for the mic, MY vocals come across best with a dynamic mic. I use a very old (1970 vintage) Shure Unisphere. On other vocals I have a variety of mics ranging from inexpensive MXL, and AKG to medium priced Rodes.

A microphone, just like a mic pre can color what it sends to the track, so I usually advise to get something that colors the LEAST. You can usually add additional color with FX.

#33880 - 07/22/13 10:42 AM Re: What mike should I get and can 11r replace a tube type preamp? [Re: jaminjimlp]
mikefont Offline
veteran member

Loc: H-Town
If your budget will allow it...this is widely considered one of the best vocal mic's ever, but sweet baby jesus it cost some $$$...

Neumann U87

For something more down to earth, this is a great mic too...

Sennheiser MD 421

And I have heard good reviews on this one...

Beyerdynamic M 201

Edited by mikefont (07/22/13 10:43 AM)

#33881 - 07/22/13 11:05 AM Re: What mike should I get and can 11r replace a tube type preamp? [Re: mikefont]
aussiebail Offline
veteran member

#33889 - 07/22/13 08:03 PM Re: What mike should I get and can 11r replace a tube type preamp? [Re: aussiebail]
Hellbat Offline
advanced member

Solid product, killer warranty.

http://www.rodemic.com/mics/nt1-a

These run in the $200-250 price range. If that's more than you want to spend their lower end M3 is also a very nice and versatile mic.

http://www.rodemic.com/mics/m3

Edited by Hellbat (07/22/13 08:09 PM)

#33899 - 07/23/13 08:01 AM Re: What mike should I get and can 11r replace a tube type preamp? [Re: jaminjimlp]
Bob Online   content
advanced member

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: jaminjimlp
very interesting stuff there..... to answer your question... mainly vocals, maybe an acoustic guitar. I would like to stay around the $200 mark

how about these:MXLor MXL

Yes, I have gotten very good results from both of those mic packages. In fact I have 2 of the 990/991 packages and I use the 991s as a stereo pair in overheads.

Now understand that these mics are NOT gonna sound like a Telefunken or Neumann but with care and proper mic techniques, they can get you some very good results.

You won't get hurt at the price, believe me.

#33901 - 07/23/13 09:47 AM Re: What mike should I get and can 11r replace a tube type preamp? [Re: Bob]
crankyrayhanky Offline
veteran member

I have a few Avantone mics & they're impressive. Used by some pros.Keep in mind all these mics basically come from the same factory- but the quality control is what sets Avatone apart IMO
Many of these mics discussed may be too bright/shrill. Ribbon mics are a good choice for a armer altenative. If a vocalist likes to hold the mic, consider a sm7, chili peppers & Metallica use them on vox with great results...& I'm sure lots of great vocals used the sm57- which basically can be used on almost any source

No, 11R can't do a "tube" type preamp, but that may not be essential anyway. I would not use any of the 11R fx for vocals in a studio (but live it may be cool). Too many options for fx in the DAW

#33905 - 07/23/13 12:14 PM Re: What mike should I get and can 11r replace a tube type preamp? [Re: Hellbat]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Hellbat
Solid product, killer warranty.

http://www.rodemic.com/mics/nt1-a

These run in the $200-250 price range. If that's more than you want to spend their lower end M3 is also a very nice and versatile mic.

http://www.rodemic.com/mics/m3

The NT-1 is really good for vocals/voice but you have to have a really quiet studio environment because it can pick up a lot of background noises (if you have a good room sound then it will at least capture that so that's cool). I had a lot of sibilance but EQ'd that out and was really good. I recorded some commercials with some people with the NT-1 (through the Digi 003) and was a great mic for that really. Have to get the proximity just right but it's good that it will pick up so well (or bad if you are not in a studio).

#34171 - 08/04/13 04:46 AM Re: What mike should I get and can 11r replace a tube type preamp? [Re: jaminjimlp]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: jaminjimlp
this one looks pretty intresting.....

ctm100

Originally Posted By: Gary88

the more I look at this one the more I want it but I just don't know enouygh about mic's. has anyone had experience with this one? look at some of the specs it is quite interesting.

From Carvin sight.....
The CTM100 is perfect for recording both critical vocals and instruments. Achieve the warmest, fullest, smoothest sounding recordings ever. The dual diaphragm, multi-pattern design gives you 9 different settings to get the perfect sound every time! You will not need to EQ this mic - it sounds awesome right out of the box! The CTM100 features dual 1" gold sputtered 5 micron diaphragms in a special shock mounted capsule and a vacuum tube pre-amp, all suspended in a solid, handsome, machined casing. The included power supply assures constant voltage and current through a special gold plated 7-pin cable. The power supply also houses the control for your 9 different polar patterns including: omni, cardiod, figure-8, figure-6 and others. The shock-mount suspension virtually eliminates vibration and handling noise. If you want your recordings to sound as warm and full as your favorite artist, the CTM100 is the ultimate in classic sound reproduction!

OK now My mind is totally blown after spending hours looking at the site that I found this picture and now I just need to know which mike to mod [I do have the skill and equipment to do this as I have been a electronics hobbyist and worked for an electronic engineer during my rehab from neck surgery in 92'] I am leaning toward the MXL 990 mod kit. Mic $79 at GC, Mod Kit $199 = $179 for a mic worth $3600... not bad!!!

here is audio sample of this mic mod against a really high dollar mic...

ADVANCED MOD CAPSULE COMPARISONS
5 mics We tested an MXL 990 with our Advanced Mod Kit and a RK-47 capsule against:

a 2013 Neumann U87 Ai
a modded Oktava MK-219
an Adv. Mod 990 with RK7
an Adv. Mod 990 with RK-12

this is a link where a guy took the exact same mic as the ctm100 and used the mic mod kit on it mod with audio samples as well.

OK now if some of you guys that have good ears could check out the samples and let us all know whats up I would be very thankful.... and have some extra cash from not spending it on some high dollar mic wink

Edited by jaminjimlp (08/04/13 04:48 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >