Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31070 - 04/14/13 12:32 PM The ONE thing I find missing from the 11R....
Riffmagus Offline
veteran member

Is that super-dry, super-tight - CHUNK.

No amount of EQ or pedals before amp placement can match that great thrash CHUNK sound. Which is why I'm gassing to try a Engl/AMT preamp before the Eleven to see if it's purely that tube goodness that I'm craving.

It's the only thing that's bugging me. I can't seem to get that surgical bottom end tone...if anyone has any more tips, I'd love to try them out - might be something silly I'm missing.

This is from a pure amp/pedal tone - no effects engaged - no reverb or chorus. Just searching for that tight, low end ride a riffola train to valhalla CHUNK CHUNK *SQUEALLLLLLLLLL* tone.

Anyone??

www.soundclick.com/riffmagus
11R Soundclips and Riffs In Progress.

http://soundcloud.com/the-good-dr
Electronica and Riffs Mix

#31087 - 04/14/13 06:45 PM Re: The ONE thing I find missing from the 11R.... [Re: Riffmagus]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
post a clip of something close to what you want. i would like a new challenge.

#31102 - 04/15/13 12:13 AM Re: The ONE thing I find missing from the 11R.... [Re: ]
Riffmagus Offline
veteran member

Clips -

Best Quality - Heavy Example starts @ 2.15 or so
Engl 530 - All Tones

Another Example - @ 0.38
Engl Preamp Test

Another Good Example with HD
Good Example of Clarity

Not Best Quality - but really captures CHUNK and sound in Room
Niiice Chunk

Quad Tracked - but GREAT examples of the low end CHUNK on palm mutes
Tight Tone!

Last one, that started it all -
Almost Grail Tone - not great quality - but you get the idea

I have found that using the Black Op pedal before the amp gets the nearest and tightest tones. After that it's down to pre/post eq and cab mic etc.

I've been writing sketch ideas for songs with my ESP with EMG's in Dropped D if that's any help also.

If anyone can help get this tone flowing, that would be LEGENDARY!! smile

Cheers,

-Riff

#31139 - 04/15/13 08:13 PM Re: The ONE thing I find missing from the 11R.... [Re: Riffmagus]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: Riffmagus
Clips -

Best Quality - Heavy Example starts @ 2.15 or so
Engl 530 - All Tones i had that preamp...there is no bass to be had, which is why i sold it. the bass in that clip is from the bass guitar. the eleven rack can get this sound.

Another Example - @ 0.38
Engl Preamp Test another good but easy tone to get.

Another Good Example with HD
Good Example of Clarity this is all about using the right pre-eq before the amp model.

Not Best Quality - but really captures CHUNK and sound in Room
Niiice Chunk i thought this was not the best example of the engl tone. more marshall than engl

Quad Tracked - but GREAT examples of the low end CHUNK on palm mutes
Tight Tone! again, possible with the 11R.

Last one, that started it all -
Almost Grail Tone - not great quality - but you get the idea yep, i know what you are looking for.

I have found that using the Black Op pedal before the amp gets the nearest and tightest tones. After that it's down to pre/post eq and cab mic etc.

I've been writing sketch ideas for songs with my ESP with EMG's in Dropped D if that's any help also.

If anyone can help get this tone flowing, that would be LEGENDARY!! smile

Cheers,

-Riff

tuning down SERIOUSLY effects the low end crunch. i'm tuned to Bb and that guitar is much closer to the tone you want than my D tuned guitar. i will work on an Engl E530 preset and see what you think.

#31145 - 04/15/13 09:25 PM Re: The ONE thing I find missing from the 11R.... [Re: singtall]
singtall Offline
veteran member

ok, it took a little while...but i was able to make my Bb guitar sound really close to the clips you posted. your mileage will vary. do some tweaking for your pickups using the pre-eq if need be.

as requested by Riffmagus....drum roll please:

first preset using the recto vintage:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5622773/Riffmagus%20rec.tfx

second one using the MKII (which i like better):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5622773/Engl%20Djent.tfx

and the masterpiece (on my guitar at least):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5622773/Engl%20E530%20Djent.tfx

Edited by singtall (04/15/13 09:25 PM)

#31150 - 04/16/13 12:18 AM Re: The ONE thing I find missing from the 11R.... [Re: ]
Riffmagus Offline
veteran member

Mmmm, cookies.

Seriously, many thanks Ross - I'll try these out later as soon as I get time.

One thing I have noticed, is that MANY tones just sound better running through monitors. Headphones 'kill' the 'air' aspect of tone and make me way too critical of the slightest fretbuzz - which ends up hampering my enjoyment of playing.

one point being, since getting the Torpedo CAB I have been riffing through my KRK's - sounds GLORIOUS. Even written some song ideas....going back to cans seems rather stale and I end up over-complicating things!!

#31171 - 04/16/13 09:30 AM Re: The ONE thing I find missing from the 11R.... [Re: ]
aussiebail Offline
veteran member

Hey Ross,Do you also put these presets in your Singtall pack link? Just wondering so I don't create a duplicates by downloading twice...

Thanks!

#31174 - 04/16/13 09:40 AM Re: The ONE thing I find missing from the 11R.... [Re: aussiebail]
singtall Offline
veteran member

yep, i add all new presets to my singtall updates folder.

#31205 - 04/16/13 06:47 PM Re: The ONE thing I find missing from the 11R.... [Re: aussiebail]
singtall Offline
veteran member

downloading the superpack updates folder will overwrite all presets and add the new ones. i suggest doing that at least once a month.

and yes, i add all new presets to the superpack. the ones that are commissioned usually end up in there too after i get approval from the person who paid me to make them.

#31210 - 04/16/13 07:54 PM Re: The ONE thing I find missing from the 11R.... [Re: singtall]
aussiebail Offline
veteran member

Great man thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >