Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2746 - 10/25/10 05:03 PM QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout!
VaiSatchAtrucci Offline
veteran member

Loc: Nashvegas
Ok so I FINALLY got to try out the QSC's and I have to say they sound REALLY great... I wanted to try the powered cab thing before I embarked on the quest to find a good power amp to use with my 2x12 cab...

Shawn @ Sam Ash (who was incredible and helped me set this whole A/B scenario up) said even before I plugged my Eleven Rack into the QSC's that I should go ahead and try out the EV SXA250's as well... He said "I'll bet you $500 you'll like the EV better..."

I thought to myself, NO WAY...I'm about to be $500 richer! LOL smile After all, it has a 15" in it so I expected it to sound extremely loose and "woofy"...

All of them were set as flat and neutral so as not to be influenced by one over the other by virtue of more bass or more high end coming from one over the other.

So first was I A/B'd the two K-series cabs and I put them to the test of the widest variety of presets on my Eleven Rack from nasty gain to pristine cleans and everything in between even using my piezo and combinations of that with the magnetic pickups. I also had the priviledge of having my best friend who works for Sennheiser who also happens to be an amazing guitar player with incredible ears so I had that going for me too.

My first impression of the QSC's was that they sounded REALLY GREAT and much better than I really thought. I wasn't quite sure how the 11R would sound going into any powered speaker of that size. I actually thought the K10 sounded better than the K12 which I didn't really expect either. The K12 wasn't QUITE as focused to me tone wise and just didn't "cut" and it was a little too "woofy" for me as well.

I do realize that I COULD have adjusted my EQ to help eliminate that or at least curb it a litte, but I wanted to just go with my "go to" presets that I use when I play live since I know they translate well through the PA's I've been running through.

So at that point, the K12 was then really cut out of the equation in my mind and honestly I was already thinking a power amp was probably the way I was going to need to go. It was then up to the K10 to save the day and slay the EV which I REALLY wanted and expected to since I've never been an EV fan personally.

The K10 definitely cut better than the K12 and the cleans sounded really good and the high gain stuff sounded really nice and warm and if I was sitting in my room playing, I do believe I would really really enjoy this thing no doubt.

When I A/B'd the K10 with the EV it was a completely different sonic experience. The K10's all of a sudden sounded like there was literally a thick wool blanket over the cab. The presence was just gone in comparison. Everyone in the room agreed on that. It just doesn't have the clarity that the EV had. The K10 sounded a bit scooped and I lost the mids I so love with the Boogie sims I primarily play with and if you've ever played with a balls to the wall rock drummer, you know how that snare will EAT your guitar up and the K10 to me sounded like that would be the case with the mids it was missing.

The EV... wow... I mean it was literally like I had a guitar cabinet on the floor. It sounded glorious. The ONLY thing I had to do was cut some of the graphic EQ's 3.5k on the 11R (trust me it wasn't like I knew this, my friend Chris suggested it and he was spot on) which I hate with a passion anyway - especially with the Mesa sims and as my friend Chris pointed out, you always want to be able to cut more than have to add frequencies that you may not even be able to add to begin with. I have to say for the extra $60 for ME, the EV was a clear cut winner and not to take away from the QSC's because before I A/B'd the K10 with the EV, both my friend and I were like "oh yeah...thats what I'm talking about..." However, we then heard the EV and we both looked at each other and said to Shawn "Ok now go back to the QSC" and that's when it was completely evident that the QSC was really not in the running anymore at all.

Keep in mind, I am only interested in using it as a reference monitor and for rehearsals and not for a PA or anything for solo acoustic gigs or anything. I do think the QSC's sound more "polished" for lack of a better term which you'd think you'd want, but the clarity of the EV and the fact that it literally sounded warm and fat like I was running a poweramp into an actual cabinet... Yeah that's what really got me and while I expected the 15" to be extremely loose, it was just fat city with my own Mesa presets and on the clean U2 type stuff, it was just shimmery and pristine. Everything I've set up using my reference monitors as home sounded even better on the EV's and that's what I didn't expect at all.

Like my friend Chris said, "It's doing exactly what you want it to do which is simulate the guitar cabinet that you have set on the Eleven Rack." And it does. It sounded identical to my vintage 30 cab. The mids I was missing were all there and the top end was just right and this is without having to sculpt each preset to make it work whereas with the K-series cabs, I felt like I'd have to tweak too much and especially when mixed in with stage volume and a crazy drummer next to me. My 2x12 cuts with no problem and the EV replicates that to the letter so I couldn't be more stoked.

Shawn was right! While we didn't shake on it, he did theoretically take me for $500! He knows his stuff and my buddy Chris who is a Sennheiser rep, was very impressed with his knowledge of PA gear and especially that of EV which I think they push a little more than the QSC's but even still, the proof was in the pudding as they say and the pudding was "G" double "O" "D" Good!

I think I've found the best alternative to a poweramp and cab combo that I've been stressing over. I couldn't find anything I didn't like about the EV other than its about 12-15 pounds heavier, but I think the wood cab construction is what makes it resonate and respond more like an actual guitar cab -vs- the K-series cabs. If you just need something like I need it for which is for reference only in a band / live situation, then the EV is the way to go. The K-series cabs have more bells and whistles which I guess is more beneficial in a PA setup -vs- a monitor setup I don't know.

Here are links to the specs frequency range wise and all that for anyone who is interested in comparing them. The QSC on paper is better in some respects, but with respect to how it sounds in person, I'm telling you that I believe for $60 more, you'll go the EV route.

QSC K10

EV SXA250

It's plenty loud and they had it dialed in volume wise about noon and I had my 11R output master set to about 6.5 or so and it was plenty loud and anyone who has used the 11R live knows that going up one "notch" REALLY kicks the volume up on the 11R and I don't believe I have EVER had it louder than 7 and typically set it at 5.5-6.

I think the construction is more solid and you can do your best Steve Harris impression without the monitor rolling off the stage when your foot hits it... LOL smile The QSC enclosure LOOKS WAY cooler, but it doesn't look like it'll withstand the travel conditions I put gear through, though I could be completely wrong just my initial observation though the weight IS just right but sonically at an expense I can live with.

In a nutshell:

EV: 10 out of 10
QSC K10: 7 out of 10
QSC K12: 6 out of 10

There may be a better option out there in the same price range, but I absolutely love what I heard no questions.

Now how to buy one...ok two would be GLORIOUS! Anyone want to buy an ESP GL-256? LOL smile I'll make you a good deal!

Craiglist here I come!

#2747 - 10/25/10 06:00 PM Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! [Re: VaiSatchAtrucci]
mikefont Offline
veteran member

Loc: H-Town
Very cool & informative info there Andrew!

I'll have to keep this review of yours in mind when I go and get serious about testing what live rig I want to buy! I still haven't made the power amp/cabinet jump for using my 11R live yet...(still relying on my 5150 & Fender Blues Deluxe), but I've been itching too do it!

Thanks for the post bro!

Mike

Edited by mikefont (10/25/10 06:01 PM)

#2748 - 10/25/10 09:52 PM Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! [Re: mikefont]
VaiSatchAtrucci Offline
veteran member

Yeah man my pleasure, I know that it's always something people are talking about and while it's completely subjective for the most part, my impressions were also confirmed by 2 other guys in the room so that made me feel more confident about my opinion of the EV for sure.

A 5150 and Blues Deluxe is a pretty damn good alternative so you'll be fine until you get a chance to figure it all out brother. smile

I went from the Road King and 2x12 to an Egnater Rebel-20 and 1x12 cab to an Egnater Rebel-30 1x12 combo to the 11R and no cab... pretty soon I'll be using the iPhone and a .99cent amp sim app... LOL wink

#2749 - 10/25/10 09:55 PM Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! [Re: VaiSatchAtrucci]
VaiSatchAtrucci Offline
veteran member

Oh I should mention since it was pointed out on the DUC forum how my math skills are pretty weak - the K12 is $60 less than the EV and the K10 is $160 less. I think I alluded to the K10 being $60 less... Sorry ya'll smile

"I'm only huuuuu-man... flesh and blood a maaaaaaaa-annnn" - Human League

hehehehe

#2750 - 10/26/10 06:16 AM Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! [Re: VaiSatchAtrucci]
mikefont Offline
veteran member

Loc: H-Town
Originally Posted By: VaiSatchAtrucci
Oh I should mention since it was pointed out on the DUC forum how my math skills are pretty weak

Watch out, or the Cary-Stalker might come in and call out yer math skills! Remember, he's got a mathematics degree and is the first one in history to resolve an ending to pi grin

Edited by mikefont (10/26/10 06:18 AM)

#2751 - 10/26/10 06:39 AM Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! [Re: mikefont]
fayser1 Offline

Loc: IE
Great review.... you should look for a kickback from EV for the amount of business you are going to throw their way!!

#2754 - 10/26/10 09:14 AM Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! [Re: mikefont]
VaiSatchAtrucci Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: mikefont
Watch out, or the Cary-Stalker might come in and call out yer math skills! Remember, he's got a mathematics degree and is the first one in history to resolve an ending to pi grin

LOLOLOLOL - I know right? Notice how he's been curiously absent from the forum over there? Unreal that guy and I can't believe I am even wasting my time right now talking about him but it's just astounding the arrogance of that guy!

#2755 - 10/26/10 09:16 AM Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! [Re: fayser1]
VaiSatchAtrucci Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: fayser1
Great review.... you should look for a kickback from EV for the amount of business you are going to throw their way!!

LOL - that would be nice right!? Thanks bro smile Well, I definitely suggest everyone not take my word completely since it's all so subjective but I think everyone will dig 'em for sure. I was really happy with what I was hearing and didn't even feel any urge to try anything else which is not typical for me since I usually tend to beat a dead horse and over analyze stuff to death! smile

#2756 - 10/26/10 12:06 PM Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! [Re: VaiSatchAtrucci]
DRTone Offline
advanced member

Loc: Northwestern US
Kudos here too for your nice review VSA! As I said on the other board (Stratus) I could have used your review 6 months ago when I picked up my K10...but hey, it sounds great and made overall sense for me. I liked the sound so much better than my Mesa 50-50 setup that I had no hesitation. In any case, powered monitors are a sweet option for tone and utility for 11R users.

Your next video...?? smile

#2758 - 10/26/10 01:42 PM Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! [Re: DRTone]
fayser1 Offline

Loc: IE
Gee DRTone... I am surprised to hear you would rate a powered monitor above a tube 50/50?.. how come?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >