Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2533 - 10/12/10 12:34 AM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: singtall]
DrGit Offline
advanced member

Loc: Tampa Florida
I have never heard a youtube video that made any modeler sound awesome.

#2534 - 10/12/10 12:42 AM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: DrGit]
VaiSatchAtrucci Offline
veteran member

Loc: Nashvegas
Originally Posted By: DrGit
I have never heard a youtube video that made any modeler sound awesome.

Gee thanks... wink lol

#2536 - 10/12/10 10:59 AM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: singtall]
Justin Online   content

advanced member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
One of the things that bothers me about Line 6 is, they release new products that are sometimes a re-hash of old products. For example, the new Pod HD 500 has brand new amp models but the effects were stripped from other products. I'd like to know exactly what is new in the new product I'm getting. The Wah pedals in the Pod HD 500 appear to be the same exact pedals as in my old Pod XT Live board. I'm not really objecting to this, I'd just like to know what's new and what isn't.

On a similar note, you know it's funny, I own the Reverb One TDM plugin for Pro Tools and I've tried to duplicate the same reverb tones from my 11R's reverb. I haven't been able to do, the 11R reverb actually sounds better to me. Why is this important? Because I don't want to record guitar tracks wet. In general I think the best route is to use the split feature taking the digital AES output into my Pro Tools 96 I|0 and record one mono processed track and one mono unprocessed track. This way I can re-amp later if I choose to. On the processed track I'll use an amp/cab and maybe a pedal but no stereo effects like reverb or delay. I'd much rather control those things later when I mix.

#2538 - 10/12/10 01:20 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: Justin]
Justin Online   content

advanced member

UPDATE - Upon closer inspection of the the Pod HD 500 I think it's important to note that the ONLY new models in this box are the 16 brand new amp/cab models.

Virtually all of the effects are identical to those found in the Line 6 M13 effects unit. The M13 hit the streets in August of 2008.

#2539 - 10/12/10 01:35 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: Justin]
TheJudge Offline
advanced member

Loc: Florida
Well, it looks like Greg (GASP100) has flipped his 11R again. I am guessing he is sold on the HD500 to dump his 11R for either the second or third time. I truly hope the HD500 fills his needs.

Still lovin' my 11R! What a fantastic box!!! As a matter of fact, I am getting rid of most of my pedal effects (Catalinbread DLS, Shannon Helios, Paul Cochrane's Timmy, Analogman Beano Boost, Line 6 DL-4, etc.) I am holding on to my Antelope Effects Morning Dew EQ (MDEQ) and my MXR 10 band graphic EQ for the time being, along with my Tube Screamer and my old, beat up MXR Micro Amp. I also have a ZVEX Box of Rock and a Boss SD-1 in storage somewhere. I just really don't see the need for a pedal board anymore, since I don't play out live anymore. All of my playing is now done in my home studio and most, if not all, effects are done in the box.

I had a POD once, way back when, and it was cool for what it did. I think for those players who are performing live and need a modeler and floorboard combo, the HD series might be perfect.

I am still looking forward to your review Justin.

#2540 - 10/12/10 03:26 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: TheJudge]
Justin Online   content

advanced member

I still love my 11R too! The Pod HD 500 might be the perfect compliment to the 11R because unlike it's other Line 6 predecessors (e.g. Pod XL Live), it is a full blown Midi controller plus you get many cool effects that 11R doesn't have - stereo delay, reverb etc. You could use the FX loop in either unit to pair the two together.

So the real question remains, are the amp/cab models significantly better then previous PODs, and are they comparable (or better) than the models in the 11R or Axe-FX?

Speaking for some creature comforts, I'm not real fond of having audio cables/connections on the floor, it's really nice having my 11R in my rack. 2nd, I'm glad the Pod 500 HD has an RCA type S/PDIF out, but I really appreciate the AES Digital output on the 11R - it's just more professional in my opinion. Finally, the POD 500 HD isn't really a recording interface in the same way the 11R is with Pro Tools, although it does have audio drivers via USB. Getting Pro Tools LE software with 11R was kind of the icing on the cake in my situation.

#2542 - 10/12/10 05:11 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: VaiSatchAtrucci]
DrGit Offline
advanced member

I knew i'd get in trouble today.....You know what i mean,. Just sayin

#2543 - 10/12/10 05:16 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: Justin]
DrGit Offline
advanced member

Your right justin. Only the models have changed. 11R most likely still owns this box, but it will appeal to people looking at spending $500 for a full live rig. I believe this is what a lot are saying. Basically you get a lot for $500. You do so as well with a 11R, but then you need a footcontroller and individual pedals for volume/wah. So at the end of the day you spending roughly $1000 and then you need a way of amplifying too....Not to mention the Axe Fx and how much $$$$$

#2549 - 10/13/10 10:39 AM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: DrGit]
Justin Online   content

advanced member

My unit shipped today so I should have it soon. I intend to record some samples and do some comparisons to the 11R.

What I'm also really curious about is how well it work and how easy it will be to program as a MIDI controller for the Eleven rack. It'll be nice to program patches and, for example, send CC info from the foot controller to parameters on the 11R. We'll see.

As for the quality of the models, here's an interesting demo I found today on youtube...

and

and

and

and for you Swedish experimental metal types who think it's all about Axe-FX, one word, "ROAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR..." ;D

#2555 - 10/13/10 08:21 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: Justin]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
i'm interested to see how the pod hd will work as a midi pedal and maybe even add some tonal options.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >