Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2642 - 10/19/10 12:05 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: TheJudge]
Justin Online   content

advanced member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Cool observation, I'll try that setup tonight. I'm really liking it as a foot controller so far. Next, I need to try sending midi to to the 11R from the Pod HD 500.

There are some really cool effects in the Pd HD 500, some are just zanny, other's more musical.

#2643 - 10/19/10 12:22 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: Justin]
crhfish Offline
advanced member

A point for everyone to consider, the cool stuff that the Judge and Justin are talking about are only on the HD500, not on the HD400 or HD300. I bought the HD400 and took it back. It did not have the digital out and was limited on the number of effects you could use at the same time. If you are going to try one of these, get the 500.

I traded for some new monitors which I needed. The tones for the amps were pretty good but having it in the loop of the 11R and having two computer control dialog boxes up was just a bit to much for me.

#2649 - 10/19/10 02:38 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: crhfish]
DrGit Offline
advanced member

Loc: Tampa Florida
Now you guys got me Jonsing for teaming up a 11R and a POD HD500 together

#2650 - 10/19/10 03:40 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: DrGit]
saturnfive Offline

Loc: Brighton, UK
Just wanted to say thanks for these reports (from a potential 11r purchaser) teletotheworld et al - your first impressions were really useful!

I'm also wondering about the 11r / HD500 combo but that's down the road, gotta see about getting an 11r first!

cheers!

#2663 - 10/20/10 02:00 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: saturnfive]
teletotheworld Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA
@ saturnfive

Glad my posts were of use to you!

Yeah I was having a hard time finding some direct comparisons of these two units or at least comments from people who've used/tried both. Lots of people are talking about the how the HDs stack up against the Axe Fx but not how they compare to the Eleven Rack.

My comments may not perfectly fit this thread but imagine if I had left those posts somewhere on the Line 6 forum... grin

The new PODs do sound better than their previous versions and if you are already used to using one of the older units (xt, x3) and are used to the way things interact inside the unit then the new ones will be a nice up grade as far as the amp models go and more of the same as far as effects and such. I've heard that some of the functionality has been lost with the dual inputs or mic input but I can't confirm that.

For someone such as myself who is trying to find a more convenient alternative to using a real rig without feeling like I'm compromising anything, the 11R really impressed me as its the first unit I've tried that could potentially do that for me. Something it seems that a lot of people leave out is the importance of the interaction between the guitar and the amp and this is what has kept me away from serious use of modelers but really blew me away with the 11R. I actually wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did as I've never been real impressed with modelers/amp simulators either hardware or plugins up to this point.

If you haven't had a chance to play one yet, the proof is in the proverbial pudding. You may have a slightly different experience from mine but I can tell you that through my earphones it really did sound as if my amp was mic'ed up in an iso booth and I was monitoring through cans in the control room which is how I'm used to tracking at my buddy's studio.

Throw some fuel on that GAS!!

#2677 - 10/21/10 09:09 AM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: teletotheworld]
saturnfive Offline

Loc: Brighton, UK
Originally Posted By: teletotheworld

ha ha! At this point I've done so much reading up, listening to clips and watching videos of the 11r that I'm convinced.... actually, convinced enough that I don't even feel the need to test it in person.

I just sold my X3L with the intention of getting a Pod HD 500 but after the sale I reviewed my options and found out about the 11r (I'd seen it briefly before but misunderstood what it was for some reason). The Axe Fx is too expensive for me and is a different thing anyway. The Pod HD seems like it would be very handy (They really are the Swiss army knife of guitar tools and I still might pick one up later) but the 11r looks like exactly what I want / need from a digital setup.

This forum has been really useful for getting that kind of info. Also VaiSatchAttruci (of this parish) posted some very helpful Youtube walkthroughs of the 11 in use and I could clearly see just how well thought through it is as an overall piece of design! Just got to wait for a few pieces of gear to sell and I'm off to the shops smile

#2681 - 10/21/10 01:49 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: teletotheworld]
Jerry S Offline

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: teletotheworld
@ saturnfive

Glad my posts were of use to you!

Yeah I was having a hard time finding some direct comparisons of these two units or at least comments from people who've used/tried both. Lots of people are talking about the how the HDs stack up against the Axe Fx but not how they compare to the Eleven Rack.

My comments may not perfectly fit this thread but imagine if I had left those posts somewhere on the Line 6 forum... grin

The new PODs do sound better than their previous versions and if you are already used to using one of the older units (xt, x3) and are used to the way things interact inside the unit then the new ones will be a nice up grade as far as the amp models go and more of the same as far as effects and such. I've heard that some of the functionality has been lost with the dual inputs or mic input but I can't confirm that.

For someone such as myself who is trying to find a more convenient alternative to using a real rig without feeling like I'm compromising anything, the 11R really impressed me as its the first unit I've tried that could potentially do that for me. Something it seems that a lot of people leave out is the importance of the interaction between the guitar and the amp and this is what has kept me away from serious use of modelers but really blew me away with the 11R. I actually wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did as I've never been real impressed with modelers/amp simulators either hardware or plugins up to this point.

If you haven't had a chance to play one yet, the proof is in the proverbial pudding. You may have a slightly different experience from mine but I can tell you that through my earphones it really did sound as if my amp was mic'ed up in an iso booth and I was monitoring through cans in the control room which is how I'm used to tracking at my buddy's studio.

I've owned my 11R for about 8 months and from day 1 I was sold on it. Your previous posts further confirm my feeling for the unit. More importantly, I am currently contemplating the HD500 as a compliment to the 11R but I don't want a compliment that is going to cause confusion as well as not sound as good as my main unit.

From your experience not only in previous years of recording but testing out the 2 units, I now feel like I should hold off and wait the future 11R updates...if there are any (hopefully!), rather than jump into adding another piece of equipment to my rig.

All in all, the 11R covers my needs and an update will only be a bonus. My Ground Control Pro works flawlessly with it and from what I read, the HD500 is not so friendly with the 11R, CC messages and controlling certain items I currently have no issue with.

For those of you looking for a 11R compliment/midi controller, spend as much time making sure you can control what you want on the 11R with the HD500 as you do focusing on if they sound well together.

Part of me feels like if they made an HD500 rack unit, it would be a no brainer to purchase one for a trial run. For me unfortunately, my needs include a versatile foot controller for my entire rig, not just one component of it.

Lots of great posts here, keep it up!

#2682 - 10/21/10 04:02 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: Jerry S]
crhfish Offline
advanced member

Just to add a bit to this. I found a Lexicon MX300 at a pawn shop yesterday for $50. Did not really know that much about it except what I could find and read on my cell phone before the purchase. I put it in my little 4 slot rack next to the eleven and I really like it. It added many of the effects i wanted to try like Detune and some nice Stereo delays. I don't think the 11R needs to many more amps, but it could use a few more effects.

I'm much happier with this set up than I was trying to use the HD400 to do the same thing. If they could allow the 11R to use the digital outs with the effects loop that would help also. I think that has been mentioned before.

#2863 - 10/31/10 09:13 AM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: TheJudge]
SEA Offline

I've been looking hard into the 11R (now that the new POD HD500 is out) and at first was going to save up for an AXE FX Ultra. Currently I have the VG-99 in my studio and I know that a lot of VG users are a bit dismayed since Roland didn't come out with any upgrades for the unit and the cabs seem to come up a bit short while their guitar modeling seems to be good. (However, the new Variax MKII maybe be the new one to beat!)

My dilemma is this:

1. Do I invest in the 11R although it won't do dual amps (right?) and doesn't have as many cabs etc., as the Axe FX (correct)?

2. Save the $$$ and get the POD HD500 and have a newer nice piece that I can take with me. Then pick up the Variax MKII and run together.

3. Don't get either... work with what I have (VG-99) in the studio, wait for the NEW Axe FX (down the road for sure), and pick up a small modeling amp like the VOX VT30 or the new VT 40 + coming out soon.

Since I'm not currently playing live but in the middle of producing my songs and such, I REALLY want something stellar for the studio (first). Perhaps throw a mic on the VOX VT amp and cut tracks that way and THEN add the cabs and FX, or use ONLY the guitar models on the VG-99 and then Guitar Rig 4, Amplitube 3, and the like.

As a side note... I would also like to not be confined to playing my electrics in my small home studio only so the idea of something I could jam with like in my living room and then pickup a small PA to run through is another factor in the game!

Any tips or insight would be most appreciated!

SEA

#2890 - 10/31/10 07:53 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: SEA]
crhfish Offline
advanced member

I don't think the POD HD will do dual amps. I know the 400 version would not, if that helps any.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >