Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2556 - 10/14/10 04:38 AM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: singtall]
bikmajava Offline

hmm, the video about the Rectifier comparison with Axe-Fx.. in my opinion the Axe has much more character than Pod HD, but i dont say that the Pod HD sounds shit, i think it sounds great, im really looking forward to see some clean tones from Pod HD, in the older models (pod xt, X3 live, 2.0) the clean sounds sounds like plastic to me..

#2570 - 10/15/10 05:29 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: bikmajava]
DrGit Offline
advanced member

Loc: Tampa Florida
I have never owned any Line 6 except a verbzilla, which i thought was decent, but not anything extrodinary. I owned a 11R and currently own a Axe Fx. Personally, i'd be really surprised that this HD500 unit would challenge either one. Some units are better then others at certain things. I can see buying a POD HD400 just to have one @$399 and for a different animal. But comparing all of these items is not the answer. You guys know as well as I that these tools are only good as the user. Take me for example. I can't make anything sound good. If it wasn't for me using other people's presets from either Fractal or here, then my sounds wouldn't be anywhere near close to extrodinary.

Its guys like VSA that make a 11R sound killer. As well as on Fractal, there are guys that make killer presets, and some that make them like mine (like shit) so take these challenges 11R vs Axe vs HD500 with a grain of salt

#2571 - 10/15/10 09:29 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: DrGit]
TheJudge Offline
advanced member

Loc: Florida
So I am curious. For those of you with an eleven rack and an HD500, how are you using the two units together? Are you using the HD in the loop of the 11R? Are you connecting them via SPDIF? Please tell me more about using these two units together.

#2574 - 10/16/10 12:12 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: TheJudge]
DrGit Offline
advanced member

Loc: Tampa Florida
OK, Anyone? Reason I ask is a friend just sold his 11R and kept the POD HD500. I can understand his reasoning because it has more FX, but i think i would had kept both. It would increase the FX and the Model sims, which is a huge plus

#2575 - 10/16/10 02:43 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: DrGit]
TheJudge Offline
advanced member

Loc: Florida
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

#2584 - 10/17/10 01:53 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: TheJudge]
crhfish Offline
advanced member

Ok, I went out and got one today. No justification other than my wife was gone out with my daughter so it was easy to sneak in the house. Been playing on it for about 30 minutes. Its better than the old line 6 stuff I've had which was POD farm, so this should be quite a step up. The presets are kinda cheesy at first glance, some sounded OK some not just like the 11R.

I like the amp list but strange there is no Plexi. The Supro and the Gibson 185 do sound very good. The list actually fills in the voids in the 11R list of amps quite well. I'm not ready to say its a good as the 11R yet, but I just got it. My plans are to put it in the effects loop and if nothing else I'll have some cool effects to add. I will say I'm used to the rack unit and don't like the floor thing as much.

#2585 - 10/17/10 01:56 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: crhfish]
crhfish Offline
advanced member

One thing I will add right quick that makes me suspicious for the serious user. There is a set of switches in the amp section where you can go from triode to pentode mode and from class a to class a/b mode. I'm not a amp expert but I don't think you can do this. I always thought the amp basically was what it was. They don't seem to do much, so perhaps they only kick in if the amp has that capability.

#2587 - 10/17/10 03:27 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: crhfish]
crhfish Offline
advanced member

Spent some more time with it and put it in the loop. It sits in there fine and I did some comparison on the models they have in common. Sound wise they are close. I still think the 11R sounds a bit better to my ears, but the POD has a few cool amps that the 11R does not. I like the layout of the 11R computer tools much better.

I think for the professional type, the 11R wins hands down because it comes across as more of a music tool, more professional layout and can be integrated right into a studio. The POD has more effects some of which are just bizarre. It took me no time to take Mikes EVH brown sound patch and add a little detune and dimension to get instant 5150 sound.

I can run both computer edit packages side by side no problem. The guys at AVID will loose some sales to this box, no doubt.

#2588 - 10/17/10 04:11 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: crhfish]
sixstrings9lives Offline

hi all im new to forum got my 11r on the way i hope its here tuesday. im a pod live xt owner and i went to local music shop to test out the new hd500 it has decnt sounds and flexablitiy but for studio use i think the 11r wins hands down i mean who wants to bend down to make adjustsments all the time. now with that being said the pod has alot of midi routing imma try and hook the pod up to the 11r and use it as the foot controller
plus i have all the mod packs so ill use some effects and what not to round out the whole gambit of possiblities you can swuesse out of both units and still use protools. the bottom line is the pod hd500 is 400 bucks cheaper so you budget users still can get a great sound at a fraction of the cost but im sold on the 11r i think it will be a vauleable tool for many years and look to the future to see some downloadable mod packs.

#2592 - 10/17/10 05:48 PM Re: POD HD 500 [Re: sixstrings9lives]
crhfish Offline
advanced member

Played with it another hour or so and I think I'm going to take it back. While the amp models are cool my gear table looks like a time machine threw up on it. I got to many wires and cables now. While it has some cool effects incorporating them into the eleven rack and switching and what not is complicated. Gave myself a headache. I'll give it one more try.

The presets in this thing are really bad. 10 or so are synths and I stepped on a peddle and thought I had broken my whole rig. It was just some weird Marimba synth. It would be just the thing for the "I love Lucy" theme song.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >