Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#25445 - 12/15/12 11:52 PM 11R does the VH tune "Women in Love"
mikefont Offline
veteran member

Loc: H-Town
Hey bros!

So one of my favorite VH tunes is "Women in Love" from their second album. The intro guitar is just SOOOOOOOO friggin cool.
Anyway, I want to play this song with the band, so I wanted to create the rigs so I could play it live on my 11R.

The clean intro has a chorus with a delay on during the tapped part. I mainly worked on getting the delay+chorus+reverb to sound right, and selecting an amp setting that was fairly clean with minimal gain. After I recorded it, I should have worked on the tone some more as the guitar sounded a bit thin, but I was having a blast playing the intro with the effects, so I didn't bother with any further tweaking! (and yeah, I kinda rushed the intro a bit when I recorded it sick)

For the main part of the tune... HERE is where I was focusing on the guitar tone, and I was trying a rig using the JCM800 amp, and I was pretty pleased with the results I was coming up with.
But then I tried something else. I ended up using Singtall's "Krunch" rig after I uploaded his SuperPack, and his Krunch rig NAILS Eddie's VH2 tone! I mean NAILS IT!!!!

Since I used 2 rigs for this, I recorded the intro first, then I played along with the actual tune for the main song.

ON the actual song, Eddie's guitar is panned mostly on the left channel, so I tried to have only the right channel of the song playing while I recorded my take on the left channel, to try an have mainly the 11R tone come thru. There are parts here and there where you can still here Eddie's real guitar coming thru (like we're playing together grin) , but it's mainly me that you hear. I played it all the way thru in one take, and you'll hear a few mistakes, so please be gentle with me! blush

WomenInLove

And here is the guitars without the VH track... WomenInLove - naked track

By the way, did I mention that I LOVE this "Krunch" rig?!?!??! grin

PS....if you haven't done it already, do yourself a favor and donate to Singtall and get his SuperPack! You be happy that you did! He's got some KILLER rigs waiting for you!!!

Peace!

Edited by mikefont (12/16/12 12:06 AM)

#25447 - 12/16/12 12:44 AM Re: 11R does the VH tune "Women in Love" [Re: mikefont]
Mister_Riff Offline
veteran member

Loc: Belgium
OMG ... this is crazy good mikefont!

#25449 - 12/16/12 01:14 AM Re: 11R does the VH tune "Women in Love" [Re: Mister_Riff]
X-Mann Offline
veteran member

Loc: Detroit
This is SO jaw droppingly good that I can't believe it!!!!!!

I've NEVER heard the 11R sound SO amp like!!!!!!!!

Mike this really is something special you've got going on here......... cool

You are a damn fine guitar player too!

Tim
..............Eleven Rack Audio..................
http://soundcloud.com/udamann88/im-alright-x-mann

#25454 - 12/16/12 08:34 AM Re: 11R does the VH tune "Women in Love" [Re: X-Mann]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
WOW! i knew that preset had the right feel to it, but you really nailed the EVH tone and feel on that clip man.

#25455 - 12/16/12 08:54 AM Re: 11R does the VH tune "Women in Love" [Re: singtall]
mikefont Offline
veteran member

Loc: H-Town
Thanks guys, that is a FUN song to play!

Originally Posted By: singtall
WOW! i knew that preset had the right feel to it, but you really nailed the EVH tone and feel on that clip man.

Thanks to YOUR rig my man! The one that I was making from scratch for the tune was pretty good too, but once I tried "Krunch"...FORGETABOUTIT! cool

#25458 - 12/16/12 11:19 AM Re: 11R does the VH tune "Women in Love" [Re: mikefont]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
the "Singtall Krunch" preset is the standard i measure all other presets by. i A/B between new presets and that one to make sure i'm in the right ballpark.

#25476 - 12/17/12 01:39 PM Re: 11R does the VH tune "Women in Love" [Re: singtall]
dmock66 Offline
veteran member

Mike - that was AWESOME!!!! Early EVH (Diamond Dave era) is what got me started playing electric guitar. The first four albums specifically really speak to me. Women In Love is one of those songs that never got the notariety of some of the others, but I always loved the voicing/phrasing of it. You NAILED it! Nice job - both in tone and playing!!! WELL DONE!
Atomic AmpliFIRE, Avid 11R, Franklin ProDrive, Franklin F-Plex Delay, Line 6 M9

#25479 - 12/17/12 03:27 PM Re: 11R does the VH tune "Women in Love" [Re: mikefont]
Str@man Offline
veteran member

Loc: Kentucky
Beautiful job my good friend.

I actually prefer listing to your guitar without the VH track, very cool sound and glad you included it!

#25480 - 12/17/12 03:59 PM Re: 11R does the VH tune "Women in Love" [Re: Str@man]
MRJSTUDIOS Offline
advanced member

Dude, this is really really really really good. And I'm about the biggest VH fan ever.

#25481 - 12/17/12 04:12 PM Re: 11R does the VH tune "Women in Love" [Re: MRJSTUDIOS]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA
X-bro said it, Excuse me while look for my jaw, I dropped it around here somewhere!! Unbelievably awesome Mike!! Can't wait to get some time to try out my SuperPac!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >