Page 6 of 33 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 32 33 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#25378 - 12/13/12 06:55 AM Re: Singtall amp mods superpack! [Re: mikefont]
LaVigie Offline
advanced member

Loc: France
Hey, quick word to say I have tried the modded heads and.... yes!! these tones are awesome, very articulate and "in your face".
It's true that you have found a unique way to have the 11R shine with these presets!
Bravo and thank you =)

#25381 - 12/13/12 10:43 AM Re: Singtall amp mods superpack! [Re: LaVigie]
dmock66 Offline
veteran member

Last night I plugged in for a bit to give a second pass to the presets. The CarvinBFG patch is really growing on me for lead work. I did some tweaking to the Humans Being for more a rhythm tone and the BFG for a lead sound - both are going to hit the regular preset rotation with my band.

Seriously - the modded head folder has some simply OUTSTANDING presets/tones! Some small tweaks for your gear and you're rawkin!!! If they are more gain than you play with, experiment with where the best place is to lower the gain (Gain, Volume, Boost) and tweak the EQ to taste.

Ross - just out of curiosity - do you have some guidance on what parameter to adjust if you want the gain lowered? I know on some amp models (the Dual Rec comes to mind) as you sweep the gain control you can get dramatically different tones. On those presets simply lowering the Gain won't result in the "same tone just less gain" but an overall different sound - which may/may not be a good thing. I am certainly not asking that you write some commentary on each preset to guide us on your advice to lower gain - just wondering. I will let my ears guide me... but I know you put considerable effort into the strategy for crafting each preset. That provides you different insight as to how to modify them, if needed.

... just to provide a little backstory to my question - I just got a P-90 loaded Gibson last weekend. These tones sound pretty awesome - but as they're also pretty high gain I have a considerable amount of hum/noise. In trying to go through and reduce the gain some to control the hum/noise I experienced that some patches were much easier to modify than others. I really like the core tone of the presets so I want to preserve that as much as possible, truly just less gain. That's where my question comes from.

Edited by dmock66 (12/13/12 10:45 AM)
Atomic AmpliFIRE, Avid 11R, Franklin ProDrive, Franklin F-Plex Delay, Line 6 M9

#25383 - 12/13/12 10:58 AM Re: Singtall amp mods superpack! [Re: dmock66]
dmock66 Offline
veteran member

... another thought... it may make sense on some presets to lower the pre-EQ level and that may make a big difference... or some modification to the pre-EQ. I just know that lowering the Gain control isn't always the answer. On Humans Being I noticed that lowering the Gain also really thins out the sound, even when I increase the Bass significantly - and lower the frequency on the low cut in the pre-EQ.

... sorry... once my head gets to spinning on these types of things my OCD kicks in and I'm like a dawg on a bone!

At the same time, I don't want to disgrace the work Ross put in by being a bonehead and adjusting them in stupid ways.

... so... that is why I ask. smile

#25384 - 12/13/12 10:58 AM Re: Singtall amp mods superpack! [Re: dmock66]
dmock66 Offline
veteran member

... I should insert some footage of me eating Cheetos in the middle of my rambling posts!!! smile

#25389 - 12/13/12 01:15 PM Re: Singtall amp mods superpack! [Re: dmock66]
CornBread Offline

just donated to you. wish it could be more. glad to help out

#25395 - 12/13/12 07:57 PM Re: Singtall amp mods superpack! [Re: CornBread]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
sorry for the slow response....my internet was down all day.

the crazy thing about these presets, is pretty much what you are saying; adjusting one thing like gain also tweaks tone.

so you pretty much have to try one of three thing to adjust gain:
1) preamp gain of course. but on some amps it changes the tone because i'm using the master volume to push the poweramp stage.

2) the master volume on many heads acts like a variable mid control, plus it adds gain. i set most heads up to push the power tubes into overdrive, then dial in the gain with the gain control. once the gain is set about like a "standard" head, i tweak the eq accordingly. the reason i do it this way is because the power amp section changes tone as it distorts; it's more scooped mids when the guitar volume is rolled back, but more full in the mids when cranked. this is one of the single most important things about these new head mods.

3) the pre-eq output control will normally do close to the same thing as the gain control....but try it anyway and see if it works for you. i am using the pre-eq to cut bass and in some cases highs too, and boost mids. if you lower an amp's gain, you will probably need to go into the eq and change the amount of low end i'm cutting.

and yes, i realize that there are no power tubes nor preamp tubes in the eleven rack...but these new presets have me wanting to pop the cover of the eleven rack to make sure there are no tubes burning.

#25402 - 12/13/12 08:56 PM Re: Singtall amp mods superpack! [Re: singtall]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
a couple of guys sent money bet didn't get the link; make sure you have the correct address set in paypal, because they send me a email saying "you have money" and i send the link to the address they list.

#25403 - 12/13/12 10:26 PM Re: Singtall amp mods superpack! [Re: singtall]
Michel Offline

Just donated! Hope it helps and thanks for the presets. Merry Christmas!
Michel

#25406 - 12/14/12 06:27 AM Re: Singtall amp mods superpack! [Re: dmock66]
Jase2112 Offline
advanced member

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: dmock66
... I should insert some footage of me eating Cheetos in the middle of my rambling posts!!! smile

I heartily endorse this idea!! Cheetos for all...and Cool Ranch Doritos for this guy:)

PSA: We will leave this thread derail to return to our regularly scheduled singtall amp mod superpack awesomeness \m/!!

#25407 - 12/14/12 06:50 AM Re: Singtall amp mods superpack! [Re: singtall]
aussiebail Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: singtall
but these new presets have me wanting to pop the cover of the eleven rack to make sure there are no tubes burning.

I saw this the other day and you reminded me of it.

Page 6 of 33 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 32 33 >