Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#19397 - 05/14/12 02:19 PM So, who are our members? *****
moff40 Offline
advanced member

Loc: British Columbia Canada
I was thinking about this the other day... It's sometimes helpful if we know who we're talking to, so just as a matter of curiosity, I was wondering "who" our membership is. How many "pro" players, how many intermediates, and how many new players, and who are they?

So how about a questionnaire?

How old are you (range)?
How long have you been playing guitar (range)?
What style(s) do you play?
Do you play other instruments? Which ones?
Are you in a band (or have you been)?
Do you play (or have you ever played) professionally (full time)?
If so, at what level (clubs, concerts in support of a major label release, etc)?
At what level do you primarily gig now (large concerts, corporate events\festivals, clubs, weddings, bar mitzvahs, house parties)?
How often do you play live?

I'll start:

How old are you (range)?
Chronologically 52, mentally 25.

About 45 years.

Primarily rock\hard rock and NWOBHM, but I've also played blues, jazz, country, disco, funk, and pop/top 40.

Do you play other instruments?
Yes

Which ones?
Bass, drums, some keys. I also sing lead (baritone with some tenor range).

Yes. About 5 presently - a '70s disco band, a Chicago tribute, an Etta James tribute, and a couple of weekend top-40 bands. I also do a lot of freelance\sit-in work - I seem to be the guy people call when they need a sub for guitar, bass, or drums.

You betcha.

If so, at what level (clubs, concerts in support of a major label release, etc)?
Concerts supporting major label albums, though the majority of that was in the mid-late '80s.

At what level do you primarily gig now (large concerts, corporate events\festivals, worship, clubs, cruise ships, weddings, bar mitzvahs, house parties)?
All of the above smile. Mosly clubs and corporate gigs now, but every so often something bigger comes up. For example, I'm flying to Germany in July to play the Headbanger's Open Air festival.

Two years ago, I was down from every night to only 4 or 5 nights a week. But times have changed and clubs don't want to pay enough, so I only play a few times a month now. That said, the summer festival season is upon us, so the disco, Chicago, and Etta bands will be working a ton.

Edited by moff40 (05/14/12 02:27 PM)
Ibanez RG550
Variax 500
Takamine F-400SEL 12-string
Yamaha APX-6L

Warwick Bass Endorsing Artist:
4&5 string Corvettes

Mesa, Marshall, and Ampeg amps
2 x Avid Eleven Racks

#19398 - 05/14/12 02:30 PM Re: So, who are our members? [Re: moff40]
samknaak Offline

How old are you (range)?
Mid-30's

20+

Alt-rock, Alt-country and singer-songwriter type stuff.

Yes

Which ones?
Mando, Slide, Ukulele, some Pedal Steel, keys, Hammond, drums, bass

Turning down more and more for studio work. Getting old, just love the studio more.

Yep.

Again mostly studio stuff, my work is on TV, movies regularly... toured with bands in the last 15 years, got to meet a lot of great people and was fun!

At what level do you primarily gig now (large concerts, corporate events\festivals, clubs, weddings, bar mitzvahs, house parties)?
I produce, own a pretty nice studio and have a number of artists on my record label.

Once to twice a month.

I mostly geek out on the studio side. Been mixing and producing about 14 years now and have got to work with some A-listers and great people. Makes what I do sound even better. Trying to song-write more too, cause my work is on TV and movies but I notice the people that write the songs get the better deal :-) Also love my guitar collection, got my own signature guitar too made by Danny Songhurst.

Fun stuff...

#19399 - 05/14/12 02:53 PM Re: So, who are our members? [Re: moff40]
MRJSTUDIOS Offline
advanced member

How old are you (range)?
I'm in my 20's.

8+ years.

Rock and Hard Rock, Metal, some Metalcore/proggy stuff, country, pop, funk, and dance (electronic).

Yep, I play trumpet and have been playing electric bass recently on some of my recordings (for convenience and lack of a bass player nearby). My vocal tone stinks, so I mostly keep to singing layered background vocals.

Yep -- Balanced is my main band. We do mostly classic to really hard rock. I also do studio session playing and producing with a few other acts in a few different genres.

Yep. I had a session job for a while 2 years ago. Now the playing I'm doing is still largely "professional," but it's more on the independent label side of things, since I self-produce in my studio. I'm continuously expanding my personal studio, and hope to build it into a large and hopefully sought-after pro studio eventually.

Major label demos, major label songwriting/session work, publishing company showcases/demos, independent/smaller-ish studio session work, co-writing with/for other artists, etc.

At what level do you primarily gig now (large concerts, corporate events\festivals, worship, clubs, cruise ships, weddings, bar mitzvahs, house parties)?

I generally don't gig right now... being a full-time college student makes it really hard to rehearse and play live with my band. So pretty much everything I'm doing now is in the studio.

#19401 - 05/14/12 03:42 PM Re: So, who are our members? [Re: MRJSTUDIOS]
SteelDragon72 Offline

How old are you (range)?

Several years of on-again/off-again

Metal. Faves are Zakk Wylde and Kirk Hammett

No

Yes, a Slayer cover band

Nope

None

Home Studio =)

None.

#19403 - 05/14/12 03:59 PM Re: So, who are our members? [Re: MRJSTUDIOS]
Birdie Offline
veteran member

Loc: D/FW
How old are you (range)?
I am 43

About 25 years

I like RUSH, Racer X, Greg Howe, Andy Timmons (coolest local guy EVER!), Yngwie, Dream Theater, Stride, Symphony X, Helstar, Pantera, Priest, Ark, Pagan's Mind, Adagio, Kansas, Maiden, Lynchmob, Dokken, Satch, Eric Johnson, SRV, Ed Guy, Cloudscape, Porcupine Tree, etc...

No..not really..I guess it depends on your definition of "play"..

Nope..No one wants an old, fat, ugly dude that sucks in their band..go figure?

No..have made money from playing in the past, but not much, and never enough to live on for more than a few hours.

I played in "metal" bands in college and after, was in a band that won a "Battle of the Bands" and got to open for Blue Murder/Billy Squier (weird bands to tour together eh?)in like 1988, opened for Eric Johnson that same year, also opened for Greg Howe and his brother Albert (Howe II), then after college played with some cats that opened for Pantera a lot..they were local back then and played at "Joe's Garage" in Fort Worth several times a month..was coolest times of my life back then! But I suck now, so no one wants me frown

I don't. I just jam with a few other old guys near me now and again.

Every night I can..in my "man cave"..! LOL..! smile

Edited by Birdie (05/14/12 04:00 PM)

#19404 - 05/14/12 04:00 PM Re: So, who are our members? [Re: SteelDragon72]
X-Mann Offline
veteran member

Loc: Detroit
How about a few more questions........ wink

1) Do you record with your Eleven Rack?

2) If so, do you record covers & or originals?

3) Have you ever used your Eleven Rack out at a live gig?

4) If so, how did it sound & work for you?

5) What are your other favorite hobbies besides music & guitar playing?

Optional Q: Married, single etc...etc....etc...

Most of us that have been on this forum for the past 2+-years know most of this kind of stuff, but this could be cool for the newer peeps..... cool

Peace! X-Mann

Edited by X-Mann (05/14/12 04:08 PM)
..............Eleven Rack Audio..................
http://soundcloud.com/udamann88/im-alright-x-mann

#19405 - 05/14/12 04:30 PM Re: So, who are our members? [Re: X-Mann]
X-Mann Offline
veteran member

Loc: Detroit
How old are you (range)?
I feel like I'm in the early 30's range now that I've lost those 38 F-in lbs of fat.... grin

Since I was 12 & heard M.J.'s "Beat it" solo w/ some guy named Edward Van Something or other....... shocked

90's covers, Pop & Melodic Rock & my own brand of original instrumental type melodic, pop, Tremonti infused Saraceno slippery legato type music......

ALL 11-Rack audio clips......

X-Mann Originals.......
http://soundcloud.com/udamann88/322-1

http://soundcloud.com/udamann88/hero-mix-1-no-master

Neil Zaza Cover of "I'm Alright"......

I slap da bass man.......& program drums & Rap like a white boy in heat....... eek

I play(ed) for the all 90's tribute band "The X-Generation" for 3-years & was the sub for the Mega-80's band..........6-years at Kensington church as a non-paid player & 4-more as a paid Semi-Pro......(playing out & or even getting paid doesn't make you a pro though in my mind though)....It makes you a working musician & that's way cool too .....fwiw

NO.......I played 50+ shows a year for 3-years straight (so a little over 160 shows in total)......but kept a day job.......& had to quit last year due to a great new job.......but I sure do miss the gigs.......& sub w/ other bands now that X-Gen folded.......

Bars......(The Fat Years....lol)

On T.V.............

More Bars....(Shitty Camera Phone Video)

Opened Sterling-fest for R.E.O. Speedwagon..........

Played side gigs at a Mega Church w/ some real Pro musicians......& used the 11-Rack..........(1st gig out w/ my 11-Rack & I had just lost the 1st 15lbs too)

More Church Chat......w/ the 11-Rack & I lost all the weight here......Yea!

When my job is not killing me (& it is) I fill-in all over the place........I like to write songs, make videos & do jams w/ my 11-Rack brothers all over the globe....... smirk

I created a series of videos called "X-TV" that was 100% Eleven Rack influenced.......

Helped make a video for a global jam with all of my Brothers "O" Eleven.....

Every day I play live for my two dogs Rocco & Zeus.......& I think that they love just it! smirk I also just did a global video jam w/ some new (& old) buddies that will break real soon........Lead by a very interesting/creative soul named Cranky.....somethin.....somethin.....Ray.....somethin....

I like to dress-up in costume & it doesn't take much to make that happen.......I love dogs & animals........Chicks with HUGE Racks........Beer........Going for long walks (ok, 13.1 mile runs..lol)......Being held tight on a cold night shocked.......Beer......& anything to do w/ some dude named Mark Tremonti......Oh & add more boobs & even more beer & you have a great idea of who I am, what I look like, what I play like & what I'm all about.............I'm also a HUGE fan of THIS forum (& it's peeps) & the Eleven Rack.........The Eleven Rack is a game changer......It makes you a better player & helps you create music......

Oh......& I gave myself the nickname "X-Mann" & just loved it until my mom got on Facebook & started calling me it....... cry....& now I'm fine w/ just plain old Tim......

Peace! Tim (aka X-Mann, Guitar Hobbyest, lover of music, Husband, Father & Alter Bridge lover) \m/

Edited by X-Mann (05/14/12 05:15 PM)
..............Eleven Rack Audio..................

#19406 - 05/14/12 05:03 PM Re: So, who are our members? [Re: X-Mann]
Justin Online   content

advanced member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
How old are you (range)?
I am 44

About 34 years

Really like songwriting - all styles of rock, blues, pop. Love 80's hair metal.

Only a little.

Not currently. I was in a band in the San Francisco Bay Area called "The Particles" from 1990-2000.

No.

I've played out at clubs. Only local band stuff though.

Not currently. I really love recording in Pro Tools and am engineering/mixing these days.

N/A

#19407 - 05/14/12 05:28 PM Re: So, who are our members? [Re: X-Mann]
moff40 Offline
advanced member

Loc: British Columbia Canada
To answer X-Mann's questions:

1) Do you record with your Eleven Rack?
Yes, though not as frequently as I'd like.

2) If so, do you record covers & or originals?
Originals

3) Have you ever used your Eleven Rack out at a live gig?
Always

4) If so, how did it sound & work for you?
It's great live, for guitar and for bass gigs.

5) What are your other favorite hobbies besides music & guitar playing?
I used to play golf in the summer and hockey in the winter ( I AM Canadian after all, and if I didn't play hockey, I'd have to renounce my citizenship! smile ) I sucked at both, but it was fun and some exercise. But I don't do either much anymore; just work, piddle around the house, and hang with my wife and our two kids (9 and 13). Everything else seems to be music related - gigging, learning songs for another gig, maintaining my gear, writing.

Optional Q: Married, single etc...etc....etc...
Married.

Edited by moff40 (05/15/12 07:15 PM)
Ibanez RG550
Variax 500
Takamine F-400SEL 12-string
Yamaha APX-6L

Warwick Bass Endorsing Artist:
4&5 string Corvettes

Mesa, Marshall, and Ampeg amps
2 x Avid Eleven Racks

#19415 - 05/14/12 08:57 PM Re: So, who are our members? [Re: moff40]
jesling Offline
advanced member

Loc: Florida Panhandle / Chicago
How old are you (range)?
46ish

36 years

Who knows? I just call it rock-n-roll.

Do you play other instruments? Which ones?
Keys, bass, Cajon, and I sing

Played with two bands for about a decade during the late 80s to late 90s.
These days I mostly play with church worship bands.

Quit my job in 95 to go full time with the music, but by 97 my wife and I were building websites for a living.

clubs, youth functions, colleges, festivals

Church worship bands

As much as I can.

Do you record with your Eleven Rack?
I'd love to but haven't had time.

If so, do you record covers & or originals?
I would record both.

Have you ever used your Eleven Rack out at a live gig?
Always

If so, how did it sound & work for you?
It has been wonderful, and I get lots of nice compliments on my sound.

What are your other favorite hobbies besides music & guitar playing?
Hey, I workout! I enjoy hiking and taking photos in the great outdoors.

Am I married?
Married my best friend in 1991 and we've been blessed to be able to hangout together 24 hours a day for the last 20+ years.

Edited by jesling (05/15/12 06:18 PM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >