Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1428 - 07/13/10 09:44 PM New EVH Brown Sound Rig
mikefont Offline
veteran member

Loc: H-Town
Hey all,

I have uploaded my take on Eddie's Brown Sound here... EVH Brown Sound

To get the rig settings for it, I imported "Runnin With The Devil" into Pro Tools so that I could create a track to play along with the song and compare my rig settings to Eddie's guitar tone. I picked RWTD because after the horn+bass intro, those first couple of chords that Eddie starts playing sustain for quite a bit (and sound INCREDIBLE!), giving me a good chord progression to play along with and A/B my rig to.

I think I got pretty darn close, and it sounded REALLY good thru my monitors! Tomorrow after I get home from work, I'll post up the track that I did for this, setting RWTD panned hard left and my playing hard right so that you can hear and compare the tone for yourself.

It sounded really good with RWTD, but then I went ahead and played "I'm The One", and it then seemed like it needed a just a touch little extra gain, so I added the BlackOp Distortion to the rig if you feel like you need it.

I also added the typical VH Phaser setting, as well as the flanger setting for "Unchained" and the delay setting for "Cathedral".

Tweak it to your liking and I hope you enjoy it!

Peace
Mike

Edited by mikefont (07/14/10 06:28 AM)

#1430 - 07/14/10 06:14 AM Re: New EVH Brown Sound Rig [Re: mikefont]
mikefont Offline
veteran member

OK a few things...

1. I see that the rig is now uploaded, so thanks Justin!

2. I left off a few details from my post that some may want to know...

I ended up using the Treadplate amp for the rig. I started off trying the Plexi amp, but I just couldn't get a sound that I liked with it, and the Treadplate seemed to work MUCH better.

I created the rig using an old Kramer guitar (alder wood) w/Floyd Rose bridge and a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates humbucker, and I tuned the guitar down a little over a half step to match the tuning of RWTD.

I also played the rig thru my Peavey Wolfgang which has pickups that are a little hotter than the Pearly Gates, and it sounded good thru it as well, although I felt like it didn't quite need the BlackOP Dist turned on (due to the hotter pups)

I'll get some sound samples posted up this evening when I get home.

Later
Mike

Edited by mikefont (07/14/10 06:23 AM)

#1434 - 07/14/10 08:35 AM Re: New EVH Brown Sound Rig [Re: mikefont]
djemass Offline
advanced member

Loc: Reims, France
Good job bro !!

#1435 - 07/14/10 03:59 PM Re: New EVH Brown Sound Rig [Re: djemass]
Justin Online   content

advanced member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Great! Thanks for all the presets, keep 'em coming!

#1439 - 07/14/10 09:02 PM Re: New EVH Brown Sound Rig [Re: Justin]
mikefont Offline
veteran member

OK everyone, I have some sound files for yall to check out the EVH Brown Sound rig...

I have 4 different ones for you to check out...

On the first one called Brown Sound A,B test , I imported a section of "Runnin With The Devil" into the track and panned it 100% left, and I played along with it playing the new rig setting panned 100% on the right side....(then went into a little "Unchained" for kicks).

On the second track called Brown Sound A,B test DIST , I did the same thing as above...RWTD panned left and me panned right, but I played my track with the BlackOP distortion turned on for a little extra gain.

The third track EVH Brown Sound is the same as the first track, without RWTD so that you can hear the rig all by itself, and...YOU GUESSED IT...

The fourth track EVH Brown Sound DIST is the rig by itself with the BlackOP engaged.

Sorry for not having these as streaming files, but I could not post them on the soundclick website as I normally would because I did not want to violate any copyright stuff...but these download really quickly since they are small files.

Enjoy....if yer interested! LOL

Later
Mike

Edited by mikefont (07/14/10 09:28 PM)

#1446 - 07/14/10 09:58 PM Re: New EVH Brown Sound Rig [Re: mikefont]
VaiSatchAtrucci Offline
veteran member

Loc: Nashvegas
Hey Mike - you can still use SoundClick and list it as "cover songs" and be ok...

YOU NAILED those tones man - nice job bro! smile Yeah the Van Halen Mesa preset I uploaded was for that same reason - I couldn't get it as close with the plexi as I could with the Treadplate - it really nailed it more than the plexi did I thought too...

You rawk! smile

#1452 - 07/15/10 07:03 AM Re: New EVH Brown Sound Rig [Re: VaiSatchAtrucci]
mikefont Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: VaiSatchAtrucci
Hey Mike - you can still use SoundClick and list it as "cover songs" and be ok...

Yeah, I saw that I could do that with SoundClick, but it appeared to be somewhat of a hassle, so I just said "F-it" and went a different route.

Originally Posted By: VaiSatchAtrucci
YOU NAILED those tones man - nice job bro! smile Yeah the Van Halen Mesa preset I uploaded was for that same reason - I couldn't get it as close with the plexi as I could with the Treadplate - it really nailed it more than the plexi did I thought too...

You rawk! smile

And thanks bro! I have been trying to get that brown sound since...oh I dunno... FOREVER! And that's about as close as I have ever gotten to achieving it.
And I remembered that you went the Treadplate route on your VH rig, which kinda helped point me in that direction after trying out the Plexi, Soldano, and JCM800 routes out first. So here's a hearty THANKS DUDE to ya for taking up the point on a Treadplate VH rig!

Peace out...
Mike

Edited by mikefont (07/15/10 07:04 AM)

#1465 - 07/15/10 12:58 PM Re: New EVH Brown Sound Rig [Re: mikefont]
Zevi721 Offline

Thanks for the preset!! This sounded great on my monitors.

#1467 - 07/15/10 01:02 PM Re: New EVH Brown Sound Rig [Re: Zevi721]
mikefont Offline
veteran member

Cool deal bro! Glad ya liked it grin

#1473 - 07/15/10 04:57 PM Re: New EVH Brown Sound Rig [Re: mikefont]
Jase2112 Offline
advanced member

Loc: New England
Mike - F*&%ing AMAZING tone!!! That's the closest I've ever heard to the album tones without duplicating all the man's gear.

I think the rig with the BlackOP engaged is spot on!!! For all the digital haters - put that in yer pipe and smoke it:)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >