Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38787 - 03/25/14 10:33 AM How to make an improvement to your tone
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Hello fellow 11 rackers! Thought I'd share my most recent tone improvement experience.

So, I have long wondered whether it was worth the extra $$$$ for high end guitar cables. Several years ago I purchased a Monster Cable during a Musicians Friend, sale mainly because of their lifetime guarantee and it was the most I spent on a cable (I think it was around $40). From a tone perspective I really did not see any significantly noticeable difference, but the build quality was exceptional and I am still using it without a single issue.

So, I read an article recently on guitar cables and again it got me wondering (translation GAS!). Being a real cheap ass when it comes to the 'nuts and bolts' (yeah can't understand that either confused you'd think I would have learnt by now wink ) accessories I baulked at the cost again. Since I can wield a soldering iron and google is my friend grin I figured I should be able to find some high end cable and build my own.

So I came across this website: http://www.zenproaudio.com/ and they sell Mogami cable in bulk for 46 cents a foot..well Allllrigghty now!! cool grin cool

So I ended up buying 2o feet of cable and Neutrik Gold connectors to make up two 10 foot cables for less then $50! I put the cables together and tried them out this weekend, shocked shocked Did not expect it, but what can I say I am a believer!! There is a very noticable extra clarity and zing there that is not present with the Monster cable.

For those of you who fancy giving this a go the cable can be got here:http://www.zenproaudio.com/mogami-bulk-cable.aspx

and the connectors here: http://www.zenproaudio.com/neutrik-connectors.aspx

Best $$ I spent on gear that made a real difference in a while!

If I get my act together over the next few days (i.e find time in my crazy work schedule) I will try and post comparison clips.

Edited by Rushian (03/25/14 10:36 AM)
Edit Reason: can't spill or tip ;)

#38788 - 03/25/14 11:12 AM Re: How to make an improvement to your tone [Re: Rushian]
Bzer Online   content
advanced member

Reminds me when I started to play the guitar. the shop provided me a cool blue cable (well, the color was cool, the cable was really crappy). I 'bve been playing for years with that. And I thought that my guitar was the source of the noise...
Then 10 years ago, on Paris guitar streets, I came across a small shop that provide some custom cables and ordered neutrik equipped cable...
Wow.
HUGE difference. Then I reminded what one of my signal processing teacher told, the signal is as good as the weakest component of the signal chain. And clearly, in my case, it WAS THIS F%£%§µ blue cable! A real radio antenna!

I also noticed that the jacks have not all exaclty the same diameter. I try a fender cable once, and the connector could move when plugged, creating some bad artifacts. It seems that my guitar connector is very picky about what you plug smile
No problem at all with neutriks.

a++
Bzerk.

Edited by Bzer (03/26/14 03:25 AM)

#38792 - 03/25/14 07:30 PM Re: How to make an improvement to your tone [Re: Bzer]
PatriotsBuker Offline
advanced member

Nice timing for this thread. I was just pondering getting a nice cable for the "studio" as well as some 2-3 footers for the pedals like the Sansamp and NS2. I'm dangerous with a soldering iron, so I might have to check it out.

I do have some Monster cables and they have lasted me forever. My nesest one is a few years old. It replaced the one bad cable which had an intermittent noise issue. (same noise, different processors and guitar...)

#38795 - 03/26/14 05:43 AM Re: How to make an improvement to your tone [Re: Bzer]
sax Offline
advanced member

I am ACTUALLY dangerous with a soldering iron meaning I would probably burn something down. So..is there a way to get these cables custom made? how much we talking fellas? Thanks to Rushian, I am now intrigued and would love to compare to my monster cable.

saxonj
https://soundcloud.com/saxon-j

#38798 - 03/26/14 02:44 PM Re: How to make an improvement to your tone [Re: sax]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: sax
I am ACTUALLY dangerous with a soldering iron meaning I would probably burn something down.

shocked eek shocked

Hmm in that case I suggest heading down to your friendly neighbourhood guitar store and asking them if they can assemble a cable for you. Also, you can buy pre-assembled at that same site, but about 2x price when compared to parts.....

#38801 - 03/26/14 04:39 PM Re: How to make an improvement to your tone [Re: Rushian]
DonaldR Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I always used Canare/Mogami cables with Neutrik/Switchcraft connectors smile
More expensive but they last for a lifetime.

Edited by DonaldR (03/26/14 04:40 PM)

#38918 - 04/04/14 07:58 AM Re: How to make an improvement to your tone [Re: DonaldR]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

#39148 - 04/20/14 09:18 PM Re: How to make an improvement to your tone [Re: Rushian]
Wannabe Offline
advanced member

Loc: Peoria, AZ.
Dog gone it!!
You guys are killing me. I just went out and purchased 10 Neutrik gold connections and went to Zenproaudio and purchased the good Mogami stuff and made perfect to length cables for all four of my connections. I played with my old set-up for a while and then switched it over. I was 7db louder at my one cabinet, and I didn't have the other measured, but I would guess about 4 or 5 in that one. The sound is more focused and has more punch in the mid and highs. I now have to go back down to all of my sounds and start to massage things again.
a) I never thought it would make that much change, and
b) I really didn't want to have to go back and change every sound I have. But to get a bit better and more pronounced sound, it is worth the effort. And with the cancer treatments, I have some time to just sit and play.