USB Eleven Rack on Windows/USB, MIDI tempo

Posted by: Digital Larry

USB Eleven Rack on Windows/USB, MIDI tempo - 01/06/20 08:21 AM

I thought I'd finally try out the editor for the 11. Installed the editor, iLok, and drivers, in that order, which was exactly backwards but eventually worked.

I initially tried using ElevenHack but it just wouldn't work and given that the last update on it was in 2013, I wasn't holding out much hope.

I was quite surprised to see 4 audio interfaces show up in my DAW (Ableton Live and SONAR). For some reason, I thought that would only work in Pro Tools. To be honest I have not tested it yet though.

OK here's my big question.

Under "Tempo", there is a MIDI function on the top right soft switch. I could NOT get it to illuminate or tempo to sync to MIDI. I also might be having some problems with the external MIDI interface I'm using, but it's hard to debug. Will the "MIDI" switch only toggle if the Eleven rack is actually receiving MIDI clock at the time?

I know it worked at some point in the past.

It also looks like there are 2 MIDI ports added when I plug in the Eleven via USB - "Eleven Rack" and "external". The Eleven manual states that MIDI sync should be received via the MIDI IN port (can't recall the actual wording). So it's not clear that it can get clock tempo via USB MIDI.

Any hints?

TIA,

DL

Re: USB Eleven Rack on Windows/USB, MIDI tempo - 01/06/20 09:02 AM

Found this, will try it out.

https://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/External-midi-clock-to-Eleven-Rack/115780-3779

Update: removing USB does allow MIDI to be selected under "tempo". In a quick test comparing echoes against a drum beat, it appears to work OK. When that happens, the delay time is shown and wiggles around a bit which hints that it's being calculated on the fly.

Re: USB Eleven Rack on Windows/USB, MIDI tempo - 01/06/20 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Digital Larry

I was quite surprised to see 4 audio interfaces show up in my DAW (Ableton Live and SONAR). For some reason, I thought that would only work in Pro Tools. To be honest I have not tested it yet though.

I guess it was too good to be true. Those things are selectable but nothing comes out of them.

[update] - looks like I spoke too soon. I am able to get direct guitar as well as rig out to my DAW. Very cool indeed. It's a shame that connecting the USB interrupts or somehow messes with the tap tempo delay. I may not worry about it because the whole point of recording a dry signal would be to re-amp it later anyway so it's less critical that it be recorded 100% properly regarding the processed output.

Most of the time I would probably want to record the amp output without any delay or reverb, then add those in the DAW. Part of me likes to print effects just to reduce the number of decisions later on, but I've found recently that too much reverb on a rhythm guitar part reduces its punchiness.
Posted by: Downrazor11

Re: USB Eleven Rack on Windows/USB, MIDI tempo - 02/07/20 10:46 AM

Thanks for posting your observations and responding to them!

This board used to have more regular participants, but as Avid has failed to continue to update the 11 rack the users don't check in as often.. I pop in about once a month..

This board is still a great resource for newer users provided they know how to search (use google, enter search term(s) and "site:www.elevenrackpresets.com") as many common issues and routing glitches have been solved before..

As far as the usability of the 11R outside of protools, it is an official interface for PT but it was marketed as a universal interface for any DAW host, I use mine with Logic X and reaper (I don't use PT as much these days)..