Some 11R Observations

Posted by: stub

Some 11R Observations - 10/30/19 10:33 AM

Had some time to do a little more critical listening and editing with the 11R.

It does have very clean input-- with no noticeable issues related to A-to-D conversion. The dynamic range is there. If I play hard, all that string energy comes through without any unexpected limiting-- which is so common in many other devices.

The selection of FX is pretty good. I wish there were some deeper editing features- for example, the Rotary has two speeds, and you can't change them-- would be nice to get under the hood had have control over the rate of slow and fast.

There's no pitch-- which is unfortunate, as that would be pretty useful

I like the reverbs. The selection of types provides a good range of options.

I also like the distortions-- when paired with the amp sims, you get lots of tones & shapes and with EQ you really can dial things in.

As a general thing, I noticed that as I switch between amp sim's, the levels are ALL OVER THE PLACE. So that makes auditioning a little tricky. It's a minor quibble, especially if the models are trying to stay "true" in terms of gain. Fortunately, the ranges for the signal path seem to accommodate wide level ranges.

The layout is pretty manageable. It's pretty easy to get most of the UI down in a few hours, just with messing around. This rig would surely benefit from a cheat-sheet- with actual device names (not the hint names). The list should include FX that have MIX settings (a little "parallel" path).

Right now, my 11R is in a rack with a Lexicon MPX-1 (to the 11R's FX loop), the digital out of the 11R is goes into a DEQ2496 EQ in the same rack, and the analog out of the DEQ2496 goes into my studio system.

My original concept with this rig was to have fairly deep MIDI control integration with the rack and a Decibel Eleven- Switch Dr. Two realtime pedals- one directly into the 11R, and a 2nd one into the Switch Dr. for any other parameter from the 11R. Additionally the Switch Dr can send a few other MIDI CC messages to make adjustments to specific parameters-- for tweaked versions of a single preset.

I haven't had time to really dive into this, but I suspect that with a few days off, I could get this dialed in. Probably need some cheat sheets to remind myself of some critical workflow details.
Posted by: Rob

Re: Some 11R Observations - 10/30/19 11:46 AM

I'm sure you can use an expression pedal and assign it to the speed parameter of the rotary or many other parameters as well. Enjoy.
Posted by: stub

Re: Some 11R Observations - 10/30/19 12:19 PM

Yes, but as the Speed control itself has three options: Slow, Break, and Fast, it is probably just automating those three settings on a continuous controller. For example, CC values of 0-41 (slow) 42-84 (break) 85-127 (fast). But not ramped within the slow & fast ranges.
Posted by: Digital Larry

Re: Some 11R Observations - 01/05/20 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: stub
Yes, but as the Speed control itself has three options: Slow, Break, and Fast, it is probably just automating those three settings on a continuous controller. For example, CC values of 0-41 (slow) 42-84 (break) 85-127 (fast). But not ramped within the slow & fast ranges.

That's how it seems to me. Working it on a controller pedal still gives some variety.