New Track (Yes, w/ Singtall patches), but trouble w/ the mix...

Posted by: Briz

New Track (Yes, w/ Singtall patches), but trouble w/ the mix... - 08/24/16 08:29 AM

Just a quick note before my question: The Singtall patches sound amazing on my new drop-tuned Ibanez (1D, 2A, 3F, 4C, 5G, 6D, 7A).

With that said, I need your help, again, to point out the obvious flaws in the mix. I'm working on a modest home studio setup, so it will never be as good as a professional mix. But, if you hear anything that is obvious (instrument levels, EQ, et al), I would greatly appreciate the critique. Thank you all in advance!

https://soundcloud.com/bo5ive/enmity-with-the-world-rough-mix-2-082316
Posted by: X-Mann

Re: New Track (Yes, w/ Singtall patches), but trouble w/ the mix... - 08/24/16 08:48 AM

I have something that I'd like to point out if you don't mind? whistle

THIS TRACK JUST ROCKS!!!!!! \m/ cool

way to go & yea, Singtall is a BEAST of a preset creator.

I heard elements of Metallica in this track I think too!

Peace! X-Mann
Posted by: Christophersad

Re: New Track (Yes, w/ Singtall patches), but trouble w/ the mix... - 08/27/16 08:14 PM

im not a big studio expert,but i can say this track rocks!
Posted by: TLTD

Re: New Track (Yes, w/ Singtall patches), but trouble w/ the mix... - 08/28/16 05:49 AM

Maybe turn the left rhythm track up slightly, it seems just a tad off balance.

I think I would keep away from stereo FX on the kick drum. That might be taking the focus from the guitars. If you want that sound, only put that effect on a bus and keep it very low so that there's a difference, but not so noticeable.

As you turn up the volume, that kick gets more and more distracting. I want to be able to crank up the song because it's really good smile

Re: New Track (Yes, w/ Singtall patches), but trouble w/ the mix... - 08/29/16 08:26 AM

Guys, thank you for the input. I appreciate it. I'm evaluating the suggestions and giving it another listen / mix session.

Thanks again...
Posted by: singtall

Re: New Track (Yes, w/ Singtall patches), but trouble w/ the mix... - 08/29/16 09:32 AM

X said it best...

THIS TRACK JUST ROCKS!!!!!! \m/

Re: New Track (Yes, w/ Singtall patches), but trouble w/ the mix... - 08/29/16 09:33 AM

which presets are you using?

Re: New Track (Yes, w/ Singtall patches), but trouble w/ the mix... - 08/29/16 09:34 AM

also, i wouldn't roll off any high end on the guitars....it will make them a little dark and muddy.

Re: New Track (Yes, w/ Singtall patches), but trouble w/ the mix... - 08/29/16 09:46 AM

kick drum (both of them) up the middle. same with snare. Toms pan from 9:00 - 3:00. overheads can be wider. hihat and ride pan a little wider than toms.

Re: New Track (Yes, w/ Singtall patches), but trouble w/ the mix... - 08/30/16 11:11 AM

@ Singtall... I'm using the Djent patches and a Tesseract patch for the rhythm. For the lead, I use the Petrucci and the Paul Gilbert (Green, I think?). I don't even look at the names anymore, really. I've got them subdivided into folders for rhythm, lead, and cleans so that I can get set up and go. I have them renamed to 1GL, 1GR, 2GL, 2GR, and so on. I'm quad tracking, and in some spots I have 6 guitars.

I've been rolling off the highs to try to get rid of that "fizz" that comes out with quad tracking. Moving forward, I'm going to try to notch the high problematic frequencies and let the high end ride.

For the master buss, I've been putting a smile EQ with a 1.5db boost on the lows and highs.

For the kick drums, I thought that I had them panned dead center. Are you hearing them lean one way or the other, as far as panning is concerned?

For the hihat and overheads, they're naturally panned from EZ Drummer. I noticed that when the crash or ride kicks in, it can be overbearing on one side. I'll have to try to find a way to take that to about 65-75% pan for the next track.

Re: New Track (Yes, w/ Singtall patches), but trouble w/ the mix... - 08/31/16 08:51 PM

you can add an eq to the guitars mix bus and notch the frequency there instead of doing it on the individual guitars. try a mix without changing anything though. i'd like to hear it raw. the tracks you sent me to work on had perfect highs without any rolloff. real pro cd's have some high end sizzle on the guitars. just listen to anything from Metallica or Pantera and you will here the fizz. it's part of metal....embrace it.