X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix

Posted by: jaminjimlp

X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/12/15 02:18 AM

I found these and thought I'd post em here for the rest of the Orange bro's to see what X is up to. I think it sounds great!!!

here is what he said:
Published on Oct 7, 2015
After spending 45-minutes w/ the new Helix by Line 6, I came up with these sound clips. I had to record in SPDIF through the 11-Rack & it seemed to work well after I changed a few settings. This is the Brit 2204 & ANGL Meteor amps mixed together. The 1st clip is dry amps only & the 2nd lick starts out dry & then Ping Pong Delay is added, then Harmonic Flanger & then the Scream 808 pedal. The Helix is amazing tool & it will only get better as I learn more too! Peace! X-Mann
Posted by: TLTD

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/12/15 10:59 AM

Sounds good. That multiamp thing will be what sucks me in eventually I think, if I end up going that way. I need that kind of versatility for the stuff I want to do. Keeping an eye on this one. I know my kid wants the Eleven Rack for recording and gigging, so I'm still looking ahead at the posibilities...
Posted by: Downrazor11

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/12/15 11:26 AM

They are super cheap now.. 11r's that is..
Posted by: PipeRain

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/12/15 06:58 PM

Reading back thru the ERUG archives X posted some insane stuff. Even as a n00b, I'm gonna miss his crazy arse around here. Good to see TLTD and a few of the other old-timers still around.
Posted by: X-Mann

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/12/15 07:07 PM

Hold on my Orange colored friends, I ain't dead yet & I still LOVE the Eleven Rack!

Thanks Jimi for posting my stuff & I didn't want to post non-Eleven Rack stuff here & cause problems. grin

Yes, I own & love the Helix now too. I've got the Friedman ASM-12 FRFR powered floor wedge......& I'm having a blast as usual.

What are you crazy guys up to? I've lots to tell ya if you want hear me rant about stuff..... eek

X

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/12/15 07:53 PM

I liked that one video of the Eleven Rack through the wedge (direct?) that was nice & tubey sounding. Three dimensional. So don't see the Eleven Rack leaving your arsenal any time soon.

Also, that Greg Howe GH24 Keisel guitar you were demoing is THE BOMB.

Feel free to elaborate cool
Posted by: PipeRain

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/12/15 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: X-Mann
Hold on my Orange colored friends, I ain't dead yet & I still LOVE the Eleven Rack!

Thanks Jimi for posting my stuff & I didn't want to post non-Eleven Rack stuff here & cause problems. grin

Yes, I own & love the Helix now too. I've got the Friedman ASM-12 FRFR powered floor wedge......& I'm having a blast as usual.

What are you crazy guys up to? I've lots to tell ya if you want hear me rant about stuff..... eek

X

Rant on mah still vaguely tinted orange brothah!

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/13/15 04:35 AM

Thx TLTD......

The Friedman ASM-12 pushes a lot of air like a real guitar cabinet, but is ALL FRFR......& it feels like an amp. The 11-Rack loves it, the Helix loves it.....& well.....I think it's pretty special.

My new GH24 (aka XM24) 24-feet bolt on Carvin Greg Howe signature guitar is amazing. It's semi chambered for weight & has a 20" fretboard radius. Perfection!

The Helix is s blast to play & will be a big part of my stage rig now.

I've been taking 1 on 1 lessons w/ Neil Zaza & it's really paying off in my writing & playing style. We laugh a lot & he really cares as s teacher. Neil's the only guitar instructor I've ever had & it's SO worth the time & money. I'm even checking some of the guitar tabs from his new cd titled "Peach" too. This is an amazing new CD & worth getting in my eyes.

NAMM 2016 is around the corner & I've just booked my hotel. That will be s fun time filled w/ gear, pros, beer & babes.

More to follow boys & I'd love to hear what you guys have been doing as well.

Peace! X

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/13/15 09:57 AM

Dude that's awesome that you were getting lessons from him, I bet it cost a pretty penny oh and by the way what does he think of the helix. have you took it with you to show him? I would be curious to hear what he would have to say about it.

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/13/15 10:42 AM

Originally Posted By: TLTD
I liked that one video of the Eleven Rack through the wedge (direct?) that was nice & tubey sounding. Three dimensional. So don't see the Eleven Rack leaving your arsenal any time soon.

No, I'll NEVER SELL my Eleven Rack, I just love it! cool

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/13/15 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: jaminjimlp
Dude that's awesome that you were getting lessons from him, I bet it cost a pretty penny oh and by the way what does he think of the helix. have you took it with you to show him? I would be curious to hear what he would have to say about it.

The lessons are all done 1 on 1 through Skype & they are not expensive at all. Neil has only seen/heard my 11-Rack through the Friedman at these lessons & actually asked me what I was playing through. He couldn't believe how well I had the 11R sounding & he wants a Friedman ASM-12 now after hearing mine.

I'm showing him the Helix at the next lesson...........& he's very excited to see/hear it.

X

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/13/15 10:16 PM

Hey Dudes......

I tried to do a Helix Tone Match to a new song called "Somewhere in Time" off of Neil Zaza's new CD titled "Peach.

I know that he uses his neck pickup (Kiesel Lithium) so I did the same.

I went through the Helix amps & ended up w/ the Lead Soldano Clean & the 2x12 Celestion cabinet.

For FX I used the LA Studio comp, Elephant Man Delay (w/ no chorus) & the room reverb.

I don't really have the song under my fingers yet, but I'm getting there & this tone really helps me feel the Zaza amp tone vibe.....

I play a little of his version in the beginning so you can hear where I'm trying to get to.

I'm gonna keep working on getting this tone out of the Helix & trying to master this cool new tune.

I'm loving the Helix more & more each time I mess w/ it.

Peace! X

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/14/15 10:53 AM

The real song sounded just like you on Eleven Rack. There's something cool about the sparkling cleanness of the Line 6, but don't have that breakup for very long like if it was done on 11R. One thing that I thought was interesting was that you could bump up the 13.5k frequency on a line 6 software and pluck with your fingers and it was resonate like a harmonic even with very clean sounds. That would add some presence to my 11R patches, but not create that crying tone. It's hard to tell if maybe it's actually his pickup or strumming technique that is a part of that sound, but I think that's worth finding out. Ohhhhh, can you ask him about that?

Posted by: Bzer

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/15/15 02:32 AM

Yeah!
Same here, I switched to some other gear for main rig but I still have my 11R connected at the office (got the 11R and a 200W speaker with an old guitar).
And when everybody goes to lunch, YEAAAAAAH!

I did not sell it, I had so much fun hacking it, I'll keep it.
And I really enjoy the amazing rigs from Singtall.

a++
Bzerk.
Posted by: Rushian

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/16/15 09:23 AM

Us old guys are still here, but we're so ooollld it takes us a while to click and type; grin grin wink (that is when we aren't stalking the Winery Dogs!! :))

Great stuff as always Brother X!! \m/

Old man at the bottom of the mountain (hey, I gotta conserve my energy!!) Aka the Rushian!!
Posted by: B32

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/16/15 08:27 PM

Good Stuff x-mann! Neil is a HUGE player and I'm sure it is a treat to take lessons from him. I might go that route myself. I have been watching your stuff for awhile and I am psyched at how far you have gone. Keep it up bro. I myself am thankful for 11r, I still think it hangs with anything out there, for my purposes anyway. smile
Posted by: crankyrayhanky

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/27/15 10:24 PM

Reunion!
Zaza lessons?! Wow, that is awesome
I need to check out that Friedman wedge

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/28/15 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: B32
Good Stuff x-mann! Neil is a HUGE player and I'm sure it is a treat to take lessons from him. I might go that route myself. I have been watching your stuff for awhile and I am psyched at how far you have gone. Keep it up bro. I myself am thankful for 11r, I still think it hangs with anything out there, for my purposes anyway. smile

Lol....& Thanks B32!!!!!!

Not bad for a small town boy born & raised in east Detroit a? grin

X

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/28/15 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: crankyrayhanky
Reunion!
Zaza lessons?! Wow, that is awesome
I need to check out that Friedman wedge

Hey, hey, hey, Ray, Ray!!!!!! Sup?

Yea, the Zaza lessons are worth every penny to me & then some!

I say, try at least one if not a few.

The Friedman ASM-12 ROCKS so hard that I've got a 2nd one on the way as we speak. I'll be running a true stereo set-up w/ my cover band (aka Wild Stallions) when it arrives.

I liked the Helix a lot, but not enough to keep it. It had some good tones & the interface is just PERFECT. It was hard for me to dial in the tones & had several things going on at the input stage that will be corrected in a firmware update I'm sure.

I'm on the list for the Fractal AX8 right now & will be doing some HD demos when it arrives.

I booked my NAMM flight & hotel & I'm lving the life on a 40+ guitar player w/ a day job kids!

Peace! X \m/

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/29/15 09:44 AM

I liked the Helix a lot, but not enough to keep it. It had some good tones & the interface is just PERFECT. It was hard for me to dial in the tones & had several things going on at the input stage that will be corrected in a firmware update I'm sure.

WHAT?!?!?! wow dude I absolutely love it!!! and I made a great tone right out the box (something I couldn't do with the 11r, thank the Lord for singtall) I haven't tried to make but 3 or 4 so far.
You already got rid of it?
I thought your videos sounded pretty good... I run mine through 2 L2M's with the L6 link and it's in stereo... you should of waited till you could plug it in to two of your friedmen's.

Re: X-Mann Caught in the act of Helix - 10/29/15 07:49 PM

R
Originally Posted By: jaminjimlp

WHAT?!?!?! wow dude I absolutely love it!!! and I made a great tone right out the box (something I couldn't do with the 11r, thank the Lord for singtall) I haven't tried to make but 3 or 4 so far.
You already got rid of it?
I thought your videos sounded pretty good... I run mine through 2 L2M's with the L6 link and it's in stereo... you should of waited till you could plug it in to two of your friedmen's.

The Helix is a solid unit & in 20-days I created some good tones.

There is a problem w/ the Helix overdriving the input & or issues w/ the power amp section of the amp models. Line 6 will correct this w/ firmware updates I'm sure.

The tones were good, but not easy to dial in & not $1,500 tones for me.

If you love it, that's all that matters in the end.

Congrats to you & I'm going to look into the Fractal AX8 next & see how that sounds & feels.

It's a great time to be a guitar player.

Peace! X