What sounds best and why?

Posted by: sable904

What sounds best and why? - 07/20/15 06:03 AM

I have searched all over looking for my question. How do you make your guitar fat and wide sounding? Do you copy and paste the original or do you play the same song over 2 or 3 times and pan left and right? It seems redundant to play the same say, rhythm track 2 or 3 separate times. What is your take and how do you go about it? Oops sorry, using the 11R and pro tools 12. Thanks
Posted by: singtall

Re: What sounds best and why? - 07/20/15 07:48 AM

i record two separate tracks with 2 different guitar tones.

Re: What sounds best and why? - 07/20/15 08:52 AM

That's interesting. Thanks and I'll give that a try.
Posted by: mikefont

Re: What sounds best and why? - 07/20/15 10:23 AM

I dont know how you are currently doing it, but instead of a single mono track that sits right in the middle, try making a stereo track with left side panned 100% left & right side panned 100% right...or go maybe 75% on each to fill the middle in just a touch as well.

See if that works for ya

Posted by: DonaldR

Re: What sounds best and why? - 07/20/15 12:39 PM

What singtall said. Record a new track, don't just copy/paste and reamp. Make sure they sound good center than pan a bit one left the other right.
Posted by: Bzer

Re: What sounds best and why? - 07/22/15 08:02 AM

I do the same as Singtall, it works well.
Different feel than re-amping the same track and panning or using some of "enhancer" plugin.
Posted by: Intelli-Shred

Re: What sounds best and why? - 07/22/15 08:29 AM

Two completely different guitars... different setups.. different tones.. and not always necessarily EXACTLY the same.. leaving little imperfections to further create the illusion of two different guitarist tracking together.
Posted by: jaminjimlp

Re: What sounds best and why? - 07/22/15 09:18 AM

you could try a "little micro-shift" or the eventide ultra channel plugins (both of which were at one time FREE and posted here). I am pretty sure there is a factory pt12 plugin that can do the wide thing. try a chorus and adjust it so the width of it is real close.

Or you could cut and paste the track pan one left and the other right (or not)and mess with the start of one as to offset the tracks ever so slightly (which is how the micro shift and a chorus work any way)
Posted by: Wannabe

Re: What sounds best and why? - 07/22/15 06:14 PM

I always do two tracks. (Well, at least two) One that I call the home run track. The tone I want right from the amp. Usually a high gain with some presence. Then cut the distortion in half or really turn the gain down at the guitar and do a thinner sound. Mix some reverb or other effects to the thin sound. Home run goes 75% or so to one side and the other goes to the other side. Adds complexity and depth. Re- amping doesn't work quite as well. The tiny differences in the tracks make the thing more full.

Re: What sounds best and why? - 07/23/15 11:41 AM

Thanks all for giving me some valuable info as to your preferences. Can't wait to try them.