12" full range driver suggestions please

Posted by: Cem

12" full range driver suggestions please - 05/16/15 03:55 AM

I am thinking of replacing one of my combo amp's speaker with 12" full range driver.
I will be using power amp section of the combo and I want to take advantage of the 11R's cab sims. Current speaker is 12" 8ohms 70watts. Amp is 60Watts.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks for looking!
Posted by: DonaldR

Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please - 05/19/15 07:11 AM

Eminince Beta-12CX with tweeter and crossover or Eminince Beta-12LTA. Keep in mind that a full range 12" driver in your combo might work but you will have to dial your rigs accordingly and will not transfer 100% to PA/FOH using XLR output.
Posted by: 68injunhed

Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please - 05/20/15 03:42 PM

I use powered PA monitor for this very reason. The sound of my patches through that speaker is very close to what comes out FOH.

Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please - 05/20/15 05:19 PM

Yeah just purchased Alto Powered Monitor with 12" and horn too. Sounds great so far. Only complaint is that the bass is a bit boomey I have to put eq to all patches to put the bass down a bit.
Posted by: Downrazor11

Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please - 05/22/15 09:11 AM

Yeah, before getting the 11R awhile ago I thought it would be great to use as a preamp into my tube amp with 412 cab, like I used to with my gsp2101.. but I quickly found out that while it works in this capacity, if you want to do recording through the usb then the patches won't sound so good.

The only way to get good recordings while having the 11r function as a preamp would be to mic the cab, and I really wanted to reduce the variables involved in getting a repeatable sound (more precision in the sound quality from day to day).

So I figured this box has a good sound and should be set up so my live sound is close to my recorded sound. I got an EPSi (to compensate for the not-quite-right cabs in the 11r) and an EV ZLX12p powered monitor and haven't touched the amp-cab combo in over a year.. Happier than I have ever been, tone-wise, with this setup.
Posted by: strattman76

Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please - 05/22/15 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Downrazor11
Yeah, before getting the 11R awhile ago I thought it would be great to use as a preamp into my tube amp with 412 cab, like I used to with my gsp2101.. but I quickly found out that while it works in this capacity, if you want to do recording through the usb then the patches won't sound so good.

The only way to get good recordings while having the 11r function as a preamp would be to mic the cab, and I really wanted to reduce the variables involved in getting a repeatable sound (more precision in the sound quality from day to day).

So I figured this box has a good sound and should be set up so my live sound is close to my recorded sound. I got an EPSi (to compensate for the not-quite-right cabs in the 11r) and an EV ZLX12p powered monitor and haven't touched the amp-cab combo in over a year.. Happier than I have ever been, tone-wise, with this setup.

+1.

Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please - 05/22/15 04:09 PM

I have the exact same setup. Never looked back. I don't play in a band but the EV spkr (or really any full range powered spkr) can easily keep up with the guys I sometimes jam with. With plenty of headroom. I've for me my favorite amp right now is actually the digi modern sod. Adjust the gain as needed and I'm set. Tiny bit of grey comp in fx1. Mild flanger in fx2. Univibe in the mod block. Ownhammer scumback H ( live vintage). Best sound I've ever had.

Danny Strattman.

Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please - 05/22/15 05:21 PM

Sorry to derail the thread.

Cem, have you considered the celestion 70/80's? What little I know about some modeling combos I have noticed the fender and line 6 use them.

Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please - 05/22/15 05:25 PM

This was one thread I read a while back from tgp.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.p...speaker.867767/

Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please - 05/23/15 09:40 AM

Hi guys thanks for all the input. For now I won't be purchasing/trying speakers for my combo as active pa speaker seems to be delivering what I wanted to hear smile
However I would like to keep the discussion open, please keep the comments/suggestions coming in. It is a good resource of info for everyone!
Posted by: Paul in Iowa

Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please - 05/28/15 12:03 PM

what is the combo amp??
just wanting to see if it is a clean pure amp or if it is a standard guitar amp.....

for the 11r I would use a good pa style setup... or some say a bass setup works well.....

I went the route of the Behringer head as I can hit the amp as left right and clean... then the bugura 4/12 guitar speakers...
I get all I need out of 2 full stacks (that's 8 drivers left and 8 drivers right) and 2 heads for 220 watts music power....

I am looking at running 2 peavey 215's per side for pa with a matching 4 peavey amps..... the 15 inch drivers work well for full audio...

plenty of headroom...

and may add 2 18 inch cabs later with 2 more large amps for the bottom to cover the new synth guitar setup....

it all depends on what sound you have chased with the 11r and need to reproduce... and at what DB... in how large of venue...

ev and several others have been in this for many years and have great products.... I all depends on "your sound"
I would go for flat.... hard to get that!!
it will reproduce the 11r as good as you can get...
flat is not a dead sound...
but maybe 20hz to 20kz at +or- 1 db and a 64 band digital eq to smooth that to close to 0 db flat....

as far as ev these are good 280 usd at this date
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EVM12L

they are nice flat!!
if it is in a combo I would do both of them...
maybe stack a horn along the side on a separate cab to get the upper fq's if you need them.

I am a fan of cast frame drivers.
they tend to be more efficient and accurate.

just a few thoughts...
Posted by: jaminjimlp

Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please - 05/29/15 12:35 AM

Yea its not 12" but I can guaranty you wont be sorry @ 800 watts and it's FRFR plus it has Smart Speaker modes with DSP sound optimization.... and OH it ain't cheap. but it's worth it!!!

Line 6 StageSource Powered Speakers Features:

• Intelligent powered 2-way speaker with 800 watts of power
• Smart Speaker modes with DSP sound optimization
• L6 Link digital networking
• Built-in mixer (SSL2T only)
• Extremely versatile system

Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please - 06/20/15 11:05 AM

That's great but bit costly.
Anyone had any experience with Behringer b210d or b208d? They are cheap cheerful I've heard... I know they they are Behringer LOL! However like the Behringer FCB1010 midi board, people claim they have nailed it with these speakers. I have never tried these so any inputs welcome as I am now considering to replace my 12" active monitor with one of these.
Posted by: Marc C.

Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please - 06/20/15 04:06 PM

Behringer has been on a roll lately, and they now offer a 3 year warranty on many (all?) of their products. I recently purchased an XR18 digital mixer, and am really liking it.

I've read good reviews for several of their recently released powered speakers.

My choice of cheap and (at least) decent has been the Alto Professional Truesonic TS110A, a powered 10" P.A. / monitor speaker. I like it a lot, use it regularly, and am thinking of getting another for a matched set.

Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please - 06/20/15 06:51 PM

Good to hear?Thanks! I will look out for those. However I still want to hear about the Behringers. Anyone out there tried these please?