So how do you do it?

Posted by: sable904

So how do you do it? - 04/26/15 05:41 AM

Being a newbie, I was wondering how you lay your tracks for recording? Like do you do guitars first then add bass then drums then vocal? Any insight appreciated. Thanks
Posted by: Ping

Re: So how do you do it? - 04/26/15 08:25 AM

Are you recording a cover song, or composing?

If I am recording a cover song, I'll set tempo; find some drums midi grooves for the song (I use Easy Drummer or Slate Drums 4); record bass; guitars; vocals; some keyboard if needed.

If I am recording some song I created, I'll set tempo; record guitar riff or bass grove to that tempo; find some drums groove; record vocals/keys.

If I am looking for some inspiration, I'll choose some drums midi grooves and try to create a nice bass groove. Guitar riffs will come later in this case.

Well, those are some ideas. I bought an Epiphone acoustic guitar, and I'll try some song composition with it, but nowadays I'm more of guitar riff "composer". grin

If you are starting, I suggest recording some basic cover songs. It's a lot of fun recording/mixing!! I am a hobbyist and sometimes spend hours and hours playing with Pro Tools and Eleven Rack.

Cheers
Posted by: lespauled

Re: So how do you do it? - 04/26/15 08:54 AM

I usually start with some drum loops, then bass. Get a solid foundation of those 2 parts. I then take time to set markers of all transitions, so I don't mistakenly play a part past the transition. Then I usually play the guitar parts. Then comes the rest.

Re: So how do you do it? - 04/26/15 10:14 AM

Thanks so much.

Re: So how do you do it? - 04/26/15 10:15 AM

Thanks so much. I appreciate the input.
Posted by: Ichil

Re: So how do you do it? - 04/26/15 02:51 PM

First I set the tempo and I record the guitar riffs with methronome on.
Then I create the drums parts and re-record the guitar parts that aren't in sync with the drums.
Then come bass and vocals.
Posted by: jaminjimlp

Re: So how do you do it? - 04/27/15 06:32 AM

I'll usually find something noodling around either in my head or while practicing some licks or some chord riff will sound cool I will then take it and put it on a track that will be a scratch track to help find the other parts of the song through the other instruments I have a friend that likes to use a metronome (the one built into pt so that he can keep everything in time from the very beginning this is a good idea?... also have an old BR 1600 CD recorder that has built-in drums. I very easily and quickly can draw up a drumbeat and change the tempo however I want and then just let my fingers do the riffing. The one thing I usually have trouble with his finding a good Bridge the other parts usually come pretty easily for me but it is the bridge that I always have trouble coming up with.
Posted by: NARSH

Re: So how do you do it? - 04/27/15 02:50 PM

This is how I do it:

http://youtu.be/4yAdmYeQn9c

Re: So how do you do it? - 04/28/15 03:06 PM

Thanks

Re: So how do you do it? - 04/28/15 03:07 PM

Thank you

Re: So how do you do it? - 04/28/15 03:09 PM

Thanks, noted and bookmarked.
Posted by: Intelli-Shred

Re: So how do you do it? - 05/03/15 07:35 AM

I have the form.. tempo.. bar count.. etc.. all charted out.. then I set the bpm for the click and I lay a single stereo guide track of guitar playing the changes.. not worrying about it being perfect.. just in time.. then I build my other tracks up around, under etc.. that guide track.. I porbably spend the most time on drums.. not just getting the parts right.. but also the tone of the kit or samples.. and then if its samples triggered by midi that I did.. controlling the beat.. moving things slightly off ahead or behind the beat to make it a little less locked in and metronomic.. automataion any dynamic changese or hits/accents etc.. definitely spend the most time on the drums... then balancing the layers and lanes for the layers in the mix field.. mix it and listen to it and as many different systems in as many different environments as possible.. different monitors.. different rooms.. in the car.. in some one else's car.. then find others whom's ears you trust and let them listen to it.. it even helps if none of them know each other and then take notes off the feedback they give you from what they thought of the mix and composition.. down to what systems they were listening to it on.. apologies for the rambling.. its just kinda off spills out of my head like this.. lol

Re: So how do you do it? - 05/03/15 08:03 AM

wow, well thanks for the advice...
Posted by: Intelli-Shred

Re: So how do you do it? - 05/04/15 07:27 AM

\m/ anytime!