Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite?

Posted by: Robitaille20

Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 10/19/14 04:10 AM

Just thought I'd post here really quick.. I've been searching around the web and haven't found any information yet. Has anyone upgraded to OSX 10.10 Yosemite? If so, do the drivers and editor work?
Posted by: Intelli-Shred

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 10/21/14 10:34 AM

Was gonna ask the SAME thing this morning!
Posted by: Markus

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 10/21/14 10:45 AM

I tried to check if there's anything posted in the DUC but it's offline. Obviously very little compatibility...;)

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 10/21/14 12:35 PM

hahhha for what it's worth.. I've already checked at DUC and no mention anywhere. I didn't bother to post there though.

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 10/22/14 03:48 PM

Can't find anything anywhere, other than Avids Core Audio seems to be causing problems in some cases, particularly if using Native Instruments controllers.

Thinking I'm going to download and install to an external hard disk to test drive it and see how the 11r plays.... That and my Presonus Firebox.
Posted by: Downrazor11

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 10/22/14 03:50 PM

Let us all know how it goes! (fingers crossed..)
Posted by: rublalup

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 10/23/14 09:16 AM

plesase tell us how it work out... I´m holding on upgrading

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 10/23/14 09:51 AM

Will do once I get a chance. Was rearranging my studio yesterday and my desk literally fell apart.... So now I'm in limbo until I get this resolved. Haven't set the computer back up yet obviously. :-(
Posted by: jaminjimlp

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 10/23/14 10:18 AM

It works ok for me. the only thing that I noticed is that if your in the mix window on pt10 and select insert and the box won't have pluggins until you move your mouse over them.

i didn't try the 11r editor
Posted by: Austin

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 10/31/14 08:56 PM

Anyone have upgraded to Yosemite? Would the 11R driver and editor work?

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 11/01/14 12:36 AM

Guys.. my sincerest apologies for not getting back to you all on this. As of yet I still haven't been able to give the parallel installation a go to test the drivers/editor under Yosemite yet. I no more than got the broken studio desk issue resolved and then ended up having the craziest accident that caused a serious infection in my wrist that nearly required hospitalization. Twice a day antibiotic IV's for the last 4 days and I'm getting back to being able to use my hand. Due to work now for the next three days I'm hoping to get a chance to try this early next week.

I'll keep you all posted. Ugh.. what a week.

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 11/02/14 07:31 AM

Sorry to hear about that.. hope you're on the mend and having a much better time of it!

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 11/02/14 05:48 PM

Thanks Shred! I'm definitely on the mend... 10000% better than it was even a day ago....
Posted by: JerEvil

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 11/03/14 10:37 AM

Glad you are on the mend. I am wondering if I should just wait to update my OS.

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 11/04/14 09:19 AM

Alright all.. I just kicked off the download of the installer. Once that is done I'll get to work on making the bootable media and get a clean install to an external disk... stay tuned!

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 11/04/14 12:54 PM

Ok all.. here is what I've found! I did a clean/fresh install to an external disk as to not trash/upgrade my existing Mavericks install. After the install was completed I went to Avid's site to download the Eleven Rack drivers just to make sure I had the latest and greatest. The drivers installed with no issues what so ever.

Next I installed the Eleven Rack editor and the install went smooth. I did however run into a strange issue when trying to run the Editor for the first time. The Editor threw errors and eventually crashed out after reporting that it couldn't find a few particular iLok drivers. I tried to run it again after the first failure to see if it would get any further and did the same thing. Avid's KB for the editor mentioned that if you don't have the drivers installed, the Editor installer should put them in place. Clearly that wasn't the case. Since I do have Pro Tools I was going to need to install the iLok drivers anyway- so I downloaded the latest from the iLok site and installed. Once that was completed the Editor launched no problem.

I loaded and changed presets and tweaked some settings for a bit and had no issues using the editor.

I installed Pro Tools 11.2.1 and had no issues using the Eleven Rack as an audio interface. All looks good! The only thing that may be a drawback would be those that don't use Pro Tools and not wanting to install the full-blown iLok software. There may be a workaround for that, but as I stated- it wasn't a concern for me.

Anyway, this was my experience- I consider it stable/good enough that I'm about to do a backup of my existing Mavericks system and then do a clean install for real.... and of course...this is just my experience- you mileage may vary :-)

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 11/05/14 09:39 AM

@Rob.. Thank you my friend for taking the time to run this and to share your outcome.. MUCH appreciated! \m/!!!
Posted by: JerEvil

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 11/05/14 10:08 AM

Hmmm …

Since I am not using PT (I am a Logic Pro user) I am really only concerned about the stand-alone editor working. I guess I better get more familiar with programming on the unit itself?

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 11/05/14 10:14 AM

Originally Posted By: JerEvil
Hmmm …

Since I am not using PT (I am a Logic Pro user) I am really only concerned about the stand-alone editor working. I guess I better get more familiar with programming on the unit itself?

Yeah that's kinda why I mentioned that. I only have Pro Tools because I recently bought the Eleven Rack and it came with PT. I've been messing around with it, but really prefer Logic Pro X and Studio One. I have Steven Slate Plugins as well, and they need the iLok... so the real deal drivers were needed anyway.

One thing to note is that I did a fresh and clean install which is what I like to do anyway.. BUT I would imagine that if you did an in place upgrade you won't have that issue since whatever is needed is more than likely already installed. Can't be certain, but I bet the odds are pretty good.
Posted by: Oblivion

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 11/21/14 07:06 AM

Hey guys, I joined this forum specifically to let you know that the standalone editor DOES work on Yosemite without ProTools.

I am brand new to having a MacBook Pro (thus it came with Yosemite) and got my ElevenRack just a week before. The installer for the editor looks for the iLok software, but doesn't actually seem to use it.

On my fresh install of Yosemite, I installed the 11R driver, started the editor install and downloaded/installed the iLok software when prompted, but never inserted my iLok and didn't have to sign into my account. Also, I had not yet installed PT10 (what I have a license for - and did get running eventually - different story). I then installed the Eleven Rack Editor. It's as fully functional as I'd expect and I've used it to control the rack while tracking in Reaper.

I hope that helps folks like JerEvil. YMMV, etc.
Posted by: ec_

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 11/21/14 12:33 PM

The editor works for me, but the sound on my Mac can't be heard through my studio monitors, which were working fine under Mavericks. I used to be able to listen to music, youtube, etc with 11R on and through USB to my Mac. The studio monitors are plugged in via XLR.

Did I do something wrong? Or is it because the driver does not support Yosemite yet?

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 11/21/14 06:21 PM

I can't test XLR output right now, but the SPDIF out will play YouTube etc, as you describe. Make sure the Eleven Rack is set "Use This Device for Sound Output" in Audio MIDI Setup. In my case, I also had to set "Digital Output" on the 11R to "Mirror Analog."

Actually - I did test the XLRs into my H4 recorder - they're outputting the Mac-generated sounds as well.

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 11/21/14 08:35 PM

I changed the Digital Output to Mirror Analog from Rig Output just now, and set 11R as the default sound output device. It still doesn't output my Mac-generated sounds. The XLR are plugged into the Main Output on the back of 11R going straight to the monitors. I can hear my guitar no problem, it's just the sounds from my mac is no longer available.

I also opened Logic Pro X, with input and output set to 11R. It sees my guitar signal and I'm able to record but no sounds during playback. My Mac definitely sees the 11R but it just won't output the sounds as it's supposed to.

Anyone have any ideas what else I should check?

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 11/22/14 03:19 AM

Hopefully this will help.... FIRST... go into System Preference -> Sound and find the option to "Show volume in the menu bar" make sure it's checked.

Once you do that, Option+Click on the volume icon and you can select your output device for sound.. set it to the Eleven Rack and you should be good to go. Your setup is exactly the way I have mine (XLR to studio monitors) and that is how I do it to make it work.

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 11/22/14 05:43 AM

thanks, but it doesn't allow me to change any volume. The controls are all greyed out.

After I choose Avid Eleven Rack as the Output, the Output Volume is maxed out (and greyed out). In the middle it says "The selected device has no output controls".

It's been like that since Mavericks, but it did work under Mavericks even though everything is the same. And I used to use the volume knob on the 11R to control volume of sounds from my Mac and the guitar.

It is very strange it works for most of you but not me. =(

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 11/22/14 06:46 AM

Odd. FYI, I installed ElevenRack_1_2_1_Mac_83290.dmg from:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/download/Eleven-Rack-Drivers

And I don't have my 11R connected right now, but it is the updated/Expansion Pack-enabled. I don't know if that matters. I understand how frustrated you must be - especially since it worked before. I'm new to all of this, so can't offer much more help.

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 11/22/14 10:39 PM

Yes I installed and re-installed the driver a couple times. I even reset my Mac's PRAM and still no luck. Yes, mine is with Exp pack.

Robitaille mentioned about changing the volume in "Sound", but mine has been greyed out for 11R since day one. Is it supposed to be adjustable? Was I missing something since day one?

Posted by: Bojan

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 12/08/14 03:15 PM

I have same problem with Yosemitte ...11R editor works fine ...but yosemitte not supported pro tools 10
Posted by: Andresdaniel

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 01/20/15 08:06 AM

Hi! I had the same problem but now its working Just Fine. This its what I do.

First update the latest version of PT 11 (In my case PT 11.3 - Restart
Then UNINSTALL the 11R Drivers - Restart
Then Instal the 11R drivers Again. - Restart.

And Now Everything works perfect. I can heard the audio through the 11R (iTunes, Youtube, Etc)

Re: Driver/Editor Compatibility with Yosemite? - 01/20/15 11:26 AM

NO issues at all now that I've fully crossed over to the newest OS.. no issues with drivers.. although.. it change all of my playback engine and i/o preferences.. that was fixed quick enough once I realized what it did.. it also changed my bit rate to something other than what 11R was set to.. but that came up in a dialog box when I was firing up a session and that was quickly fixed.

edited to add.. the only thing not right is that my dvd player won't play a dvd?.. weird.