Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!!

Posted by: X-Mann

Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/02/14 08:29 AM

So...If money wasnt a huge issue & you could get what you wanted with-in reason of course.

What would your amp Rig for a bar/cover band be?

Would you go Kemper, Axe, tube amp?????? What????

You'll need to cover multiple tones & sounds.....& transport it too!!! eek

Or would you just use a 3-main sounds & a few pedals?????

I'd love to have a Justin Derrico's Bogner amp touring Rig with racks of gear & pedals, but that might be a little over-kill here!

I am looking to get KILLER tones here & lots of flexability too!!!!!! I may do the patchbay route & a live tube amp since I already have a GCP, but I do LOVE digital modeling amps!!!!! smirk I think I actually play & sound better on digital then tube amps believe it or not.

I thought this might be fun to talk about & there is no right or wrong here so say what you would do or try.

X

PS - I'm using my 11R/EVH 5150 Rig live & still liking it a lot, but it's time to build my ultimate gigging rig!!!
Posted by: Christophersad

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/02/14 11:27 AM

being in 2014 i feel i will go for a kemper or an axe, maybe more kemper than axe for a live use,but ill tell u , i will always want to have a little tube amp to rape when needed wink

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/02/14 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Christophersad
but I'll tell u , I will always want to have a little tube amp to rape when needed wink

confused confused confused eek confused confused confused frown whistle lol
Posted by: Marc C.

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/02/14 12:05 PM

Honestly, the setup I now have would have to be it... unless I suddenly had roadies available to me at all times.

It's compact, lightweight and the backup units are in the same case. It sounds fantastic and is as versatile as a setup possibly could be.
Posted by: rublalup

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/02/14 02:11 PM

I would love to have an Axe Fx (I´ve never tried one but most people I´ve read agreed is superior to the 11R) but I cant justify it to my wife by any means... maybe if I sold a couple guitars and save some money I could get it eventually

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/02/14 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Marc C.
Honestly, the setup I now have would have to be it... unless I suddenly had roadies available to me at all times.

It's compact, lightweight and the backup units are in the same case. It sounds fantastic and is as versatile as a setup possibly could be.

Talk about a 21st century board Marc!!!!! Wow!!!!! That's gotta be some bucks though to put all of that together???? Probably the price of an Axe Fx2???

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/02/14 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: rublalup
I would love to have an Axe Fx (I´ve never tried one but most people I´ve read agreed is superior to the 11R) but I cant justify it to my wife by any means... maybe if I sold a couple guitars and save some money I could get it eventually

I still can't justify this for myself & I want one too!!!!! wink

I see some local guitar (cover band) players with some pretty killer rigs these days & well......I always just find this topic interesting.......

Good stuff guys!!!!

X

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/02/14 03:18 PM

X-Mann, I don't think it's as expensive as a new Fractal or KPA, but it certainly wasn't cheap... One thing to consider though is that I bought it piece by piece over the course of several months (except the SoftStep, which I had already had for about a year).

I think, all told, there's about $1300 in there... plus the cost of the materials to make the case, which I built.

Really, you could gig with half that because I have a backup for everything. Originally, I was looking for a backup to the 11R, as some here may recall. But after buying one iPad and one iRig Pro, and trying JamUp at a few gigs, I liked it so much I started buying the rest. A few gigs later, I 'retired' the 11R, built this case and haven't used anything else since.

Silly? Probably.
Too expensive? Maybe.
Happy with the whole thing? Definitely!
Posted by: Christophersad

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/02/14 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: X-Mann
Originally Posted By: Christophersad
but I'll tell u , I will always want to have a little tube amp to rape when needed wink

confused confused confused eek confused confused confused frown whistle lol

well i mean that i still like tube amps as "objects" other than musical instrument, and i feel that they still gives me something different (but not always better)than digital rigs,plus they are a reliable nobrainer backup wink just lift a switch and u have an usable sound right there laugh
Posted by: singtall

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/02/14 06:32 PM

i could gig with the eleven rack, or rocktron prophesy with Epsi IR loader right now.....but price is no object; axe-fx II or XL

the axe-fx with Ownhammer IR's rules for cheap right now, and would probably still be more than i would need.
Posted by: jaminjimlp

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/02/14 09:43 PM

I must say still like my Line 6 dreams stage with the 11 rack plugged straight in with 5000+ watts, quick and easy setup everybody plugs in and we can play wile recording and sound phenomenal all at the same time. Drop it into pt the next day and you got great live material.

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/03/14 07:28 AM

Originally Posted By: singtall
i could gig with the eleven rack, or rocktron prophesy with Epsi IR loader right now.....but price is no object; axe-fx II or XL

the axe-fx with Ownhammer IR's rules for cheap right now, and would probably still be more than i would need.

I'm leaning towords the Axe FX, but I'm also excited about their new FX only floorboard too!

If the FX quality is as high as the current Axe FX2 & it does amp channel switching then that might be the ticket.

You could run the same FX set-up & scale your rig in-between a head or a combo amp too. I've always wanted to have that ability & feature.

I'm still using my 11R/EVH combo with solid results & I think that I may just have some G.A.S.!!!! eek

X

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/03/14 07:34 AM

Originally Posted By: jaminjimlp
I must say still like my Line 6 dreams stage with the 11 rack plugged straight in with 5000+ watts, quick and easy setup everybody plugs in and we can play wile recording and sound phenomenal all at the same time. Drop it into pt the next day and you got great live material.

This does look very cool, but I'm thinking that I want some kind of guitar cab on-stage for my gigs. I have no problem going direct too, but If it's a dream rig, then I'll want a cab or two! wink

Every situation is different & I think it's great when people find what works best for them.

The whole point of this thread is to talk about what you would buy next if money wasn't a big concern.

Again, my 11R Rig is killing it & will keep working fine for a long time........ cool but....if I was going to take the next step forward......what would that be???? confused

ALL great stuff boys & in a cover band situation where you're just playing local bars you do need flexibility.......

Carry on.....Son!!!! grin

X

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/03/14 07:58 AM

I would love to have that Line 6 P.A. system... but it's just too pricey for me. Even if I sold off every other piece of P.A. gear I own, a full Line 6 system would be out of my reach because no one wants to buy used P.A. gear for any reasonable amount of money. Some day, maybe.
Posted by: singtall

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/03/14 08:07 AM

if i was to buy another axe-fx for gigging, it would be a used standard or ultra.

the axe-fx II was better for home studio because it had USB and tonematching. but the price was up there too.

the new bias/jamup pc software also has tonematch and sounds good. i am on the waiting list to beta test it, but i have a good feeling about it.
Posted by: Hellbat

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/03/14 11:20 AM

I'm leaning towords the Axe FX, but I'm also excited about their new FX only floorboard too!

If the FX quality is as high as the current Axe FX2 & it does amp channel switching then that might be the ticket.

You could run the same FX set-up & scale your rig in-between a head or a combo amp too. I've always wanted to have that ability & feature.

I'm still using my 11R/EVH combo with solid results & I think that I may just have some G.A.S.!!!! eek

X

The new FX8 uses the same effects as the Axe-2 and does do amp channel switching.

I'm still using and loving my Axe 2 with the cover band I am in. It's the perfect tool if you play a wide range of music.

The front panel interface isn't as easy to use as the 11R, but the PC editor is super easy and since I set up all my presets at home, the panel use isn't a big deal to me. It is easy enough to tweak existing presets. But because the routing can be super complicated on the Axe I fear getting into it using the panel.

Setup is quick and easy for me, Power to Axe-FX, monitor, and Roland FC-300 controller. 2 XLR's to FOH, 1 cable to monitor, MIDI run from controller to Axe-FX and I'm done. Less than 5 minutes to set up including case openings.

Occasionally I will add to the complexity by putting a pedal in the Axe's loop. smile

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/03/14 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Hellbat

X

The new FX8 uses the same effects as the Axe-2 and does do amp channel switching.

I'm still using and loving my Axe 2 with the cover band I am in. It's the perfect tool if you play a wide range of music.

The front panel interface isn't as easy to use as the 11R, but the PC editor is super easy and since I set up all my presets at home, the panel use isn't a big deal to me. It is easy enough to tweak existing presets. But because the routing can be super complicated on the Axe I fear getting into it using the panel.

Setup is quick and easy for me, Power to Axe-FX, monitor, and Roland FC-300 controller. 2 XLR's to FOH, 1 cable to monitor, MIDI run from controller to Axe-FX and I'm done. Less than 5 minutes to set up including case openings.

Occasionally I will add to the complexity by putting a pedal in the Axe's loop. smile

Thanks for the infer & the review H.B.!!!! \m/

I love amp modeling, but I'm really not that much of a tweaker for the most part. I do think that modeling is probably the way to go, but the new FX8 thing is VERY interesting to me!!!!!

I already have the EVH 5153 amp/cab & this thing looks just perfect for me!!!!

More later!

X
Posted by: Birdie

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/04/14 05:02 PM

I would have a torpedo loadbox, Axe FX II XL, a Kemper, and a couple of CLR's with the MFC-101 and about a dozen of those expensive ass Mission expression pedals, although I do love my EB..

There would be no tone on EARTH that you could not get with that setup!

I have to say I am loving my little G3 and even the gt-001 setting here on my deck..Cannot wait until the Amplifire from Atomic comes out..I am hoping to try it out too! smile
Posted by: giantkiller

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/07/14 05:48 PM

Cost no object, I dream about a full blown Randall MTS system. An RM4 paired with a Fryette power amp, and a Torpedo CAB for direct recording. Throw in a loop switcher and a collection of pedals, and I'll have something I will still love to play in 20 years. Can't say that about any modeler I've played.

As it is, my 11R gets me every tone I need. Been playing covers for 15 years

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/08/14 06:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Birdie
I would have a torpedo loadbox, Axe FX II XL, a Kemper, and a couple of CLR's with the MFC-101 and about a dozen of those expensive ass Mission expression pedals, although I do love my EB..

There would be no tone on EARTH that you could not get with that setup!

I have to say I am loving my little G3 and even the gt-001 setting here on my deck..Cannot wait until the Amplifire from Atomic comes out..I am hoping to try it out too! smile

Talk about the DREAM RIG B!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked

Let me know when you get this & I'll be right over to help you set it all up & test it out bro!!!! grin

X

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/08/14 06:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Hellbat

I will most likely be getting this to run with a tube amp (aka my EVH 5153)!!!!!!! wink

Re: Best Cover Band Guitar Rig Question? or just your Dream Rig!!!! - 07/08/14 06:23 AM

Originally Posted By: giantkiller
Cost no object, I dream about a full blown Randall MTS system. An RM4 paired with a Fryette power amp, and a Torpedo CAB for direct recording. Throw in a loop switcher and a collection of pedals, and I'll have something I will still love to play in 20 years. Can't say that about any modeler I've played.

As it is, my 11R gets me every tone I need. Been playing covers for 15 years

This is true & would be perfect tone for years & years & years!!!!!

I'd love Justin Derrico's Bogner Rig & pedal drawer too!!! It's ALL midi switching & the sound is just jaw dropping!!! Do a search on youtube & watch the Rig Rundown with Mark Day & Justin........It's everything I never knew that I always wanted & more!!!!!! I also realized that I want to be Justin Derrico as a player too!!!!!!! eek

X