QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout!

Posted by: VaiSatchAtrucci

QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/25/10 05:03 PM

Ok so I FINALLY got to try out the QSC's and I have to say they sound REALLY great... I wanted to try the powered cab thing before I embarked on the quest to find a good power amp to use with my 2x12 cab...

Shawn @ Sam Ash (who was incredible and helped me set this whole A/B scenario up) said even before I plugged my Eleven Rack into the QSC's that I should go ahead and try out the EV SXA250's as well... He said "I'll bet you $500 you'll like the EV better..."

I thought to myself, NO WAY...I'm about to be $500 richer! LOL smile After all, it has a 15" in it so I expected it to sound extremely loose and "woofy"...

All of them were set as flat and neutral so as not to be influenced by one over the other by virtue of more bass or more high end coming from one over the other.

So first was I A/B'd the two K-series cabs and I put them to the test of the widest variety of presets on my Eleven Rack from nasty gain to pristine cleans and everything in between even using my piezo and combinations of that with the magnetic pickups. I also had the priviledge of having my best friend who works for Sennheiser who also happens to be an amazing guitar player with incredible ears so I had that going for me too.

My first impression of the QSC's was that they sounded REALLY GREAT and much better than I really thought. I wasn't quite sure how the 11R would sound going into any powered speaker of that size. I actually thought the K10 sounded better than the K12 which I didn't really expect either. The K12 wasn't QUITE as focused to me tone wise and just didn't "cut" and it was a little too "woofy" for me as well.

I do realize that I COULD have adjusted my EQ to help eliminate that or at least curb it a litte, but I wanted to just go with my "go to" presets that I use when I play live since I know they translate well through the PA's I've been running through.

So at that point, the K12 was then really cut out of the equation in my mind and honestly I was already thinking a power amp was probably the way I was going to need to go. It was then up to the K10 to save the day and slay the EV which I REALLY wanted and expected to since I've never been an EV fan personally.

The K10 definitely cut better than the K12 and the cleans sounded really good and the high gain stuff sounded really nice and warm and if I was sitting in my room playing, I do believe I would really really enjoy this thing no doubt.

When I A/B'd the K10 with the EV it was a completely different sonic experience. The K10's all of a sudden sounded like there was literally a thick wool blanket over the cab. The presence was just gone in comparison. Everyone in the room agreed on that. It just doesn't have the clarity that the EV had. The K10 sounded a bit scooped and I lost the mids I so love with the Boogie sims I primarily play with and if you've ever played with a balls to the wall rock drummer, you know how that snare will EAT your guitar up and the K10 to me sounded like that would be the case with the mids it was missing.

The EV... wow... I mean it was literally like I had a guitar cabinet on the floor. It sounded glorious. The ONLY thing I had to do was cut some of the graphic EQ's 3.5k on the 11R (trust me it wasn't like I knew this, my friend Chris suggested it and he was spot on) which I hate with a passion anyway - especially with the Mesa sims and as my friend Chris pointed out, you always want to be able to cut more than have to add frequencies that you may not even be able to add to begin with. I have to say for the extra $60 for ME, the EV was a clear cut winner and not to take away from the QSC's because before I A/B'd the K10 with the EV, both my friend and I were like "oh yeah...thats what I'm talking about..." However, we then heard the EV and we both looked at each other and said to Shawn "Ok now go back to the QSC" and that's when it was completely evident that the QSC was really not in the running anymore at all.

Keep in mind, I am only interested in using it as a reference monitor and for rehearsals and not for a PA or anything for solo acoustic gigs or anything. I do think the QSC's sound more "polished" for lack of a better term which you'd think you'd want, but the clarity of the EV and the fact that it literally sounded warm and fat like I was running a poweramp into an actual cabinet... Yeah that's what really got me and while I expected the 15" to be extremely loose, it was just fat city with my own Mesa presets and on the clean U2 type stuff, it was just shimmery and pristine. Everything I've set up using my reference monitors as home sounded even better on the EV's and that's what I didn't expect at all.

Like my friend Chris said, "It's doing exactly what you want it to do which is simulate the guitar cabinet that you have set on the Eleven Rack." And it does. It sounded identical to my vintage 30 cab. The mids I was missing were all there and the top end was just right and this is without having to sculpt each preset to make it work whereas with the K-series cabs, I felt like I'd have to tweak too much and especially when mixed in with stage volume and a crazy drummer next to me. My 2x12 cuts with no problem and the EV replicates that to the letter so I couldn't be more stoked.

Shawn was right! While we didn't shake on it, he did theoretically take me for $500! He knows his stuff and my buddy Chris who is a Sennheiser rep, was very impressed with his knowledge of PA gear and especially that of EV which I think they push a little more than the QSC's but even still, the proof was in the pudding as they say and the pudding was "G" double "O" "D" Good!

I think I've found the best alternative to a poweramp and cab combo that I've been stressing over. I couldn't find anything I didn't like about the EV other than its about 12-15 pounds heavier, but I think the wood cab construction is what makes it resonate and respond more like an actual guitar cab -vs- the K-series cabs. If you just need something like I need it for which is for reference only in a band / live situation, then the EV is the way to go. The K-series cabs have more bells and whistles which I guess is more beneficial in a PA setup -vs- a monitor setup I don't know.

Here are links to the specs frequency range wise and all that for anyone who is interested in comparing them. The QSC on paper is better in some respects, but with respect to how it sounds in person, I'm telling you that I believe for $60 more, you'll go the EV route.

QSC K10

EV SXA250

It's plenty loud and they had it dialed in volume wise about noon and I had my 11R output master set to about 6.5 or so and it was plenty loud and anyone who has used the 11R live knows that going up one "notch" REALLY kicks the volume up on the 11R and I don't believe I have EVER had it louder than 7 and typically set it at 5.5-6.

I think the construction is more solid and you can do your best Steve Harris impression without the monitor rolling off the stage when your foot hits it... LOL smile The QSC enclosure LOOKS WAY cooler, but it doesn't look like it'll withstand the travel conditions I put gear through, though I could be completely wrong just my initial observation though the weight IS just right but sonically at an expense I can live with.

In a nutshell:

EV: 10 out of 10
QSC K10: 7 out of 10
QSC K12: 6 out of 10

There may be a better option out there in the same price range, but I absolutely love what I heard no questions.

Now how to buy one...ok two would be GLORIOUS! Anyone want to buy an ESP GL-256? LOL smile I'll make you a good deal!

Craiglist here I come!
Posted by: mikefont

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/25/10 06:00 PM

Very cool & informative info there Andrew!

I'll have to keep this review of yours in mind when I go and get serious about testing what live rig I want to buy! I still haven't made the power amp/cabinet jump for using my 11R live yet...(still relying on my 5150 & Fender Blues Deluxe), but I've been itching too do it!

Thanks for the post bro!

Mike

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/25/10 09:52 PM

Yeah man my pleasure, I know that it's always something people are talking about and while it's completely subjective for the most part, my impressions were also confirmed by 2 other guys in the room so that made me feel more confident about my opinion of the EV for sure.

A 5150 and Blues Deluxe is a pretty damn good alternative so you'll be fine until you get a chance to figure it all out brother. smile

I went from the Road King and 2x12 to an Egnater Rebel-20 and 1x12 cab to an Egnater Rebel-30 1x12 combo to the 11R and no cab... pretty soon I'll be using the iPhone and a .99cent amp sim app... LOL wink

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/25/10 09:55 PM

Oh I should mention since it was pointed out on the DUC forum how my math skills are pretty weak - the K12 is $60 less than the EV and the K10 is $160 less. I think I alluded to the K10 being $60 less... Sorry ya'll smile

"I'm only huuuuu-man... flesh and blood a maaaaaaaa-annnn" - Human League

hehehehe

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/26/10 06:16 AM

Originally Posted By: VaiSatchAtrucci
Oh I should mention since it was pointed out on the DUC forum how my math skills are pretty weak

Watch out, or the Cary-Stalker might come in and call out yer math skills! Remember, he's got a mathematics degree and is the first one in history to resolve an ending to pi grin

Posted by: fayser1

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/26/10 06:39 AM

Great review.... you should look for a kickback from EV for the amount of business you are going to throw their way!!

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/26/10 09:14 AM

Originally Posted By: mikefont
Watch out, or the Cary-Stalker might come in and call out yer math skills! Remember, he's got a mathematics degree and is the first one in history to resolve an ending to pi grin

LOLOLOLOL - I know right? Notice how he's been curiously absent from the forum over there? Unreal that guy and I can't believe I am even wasting my time right now talking about him but it's just astounding the arrogance of that guy!

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/26/10 09:16 AM

Originally Posted By: fayser1
Great review.... you should look for a kickback from EV for the amount of business you are going to throw their way!!

LOL - that would be nice right!? Thanks bro smile Well, I definitely suggest everyone not take my word completely since it's all so subjective but I think everyone will dig 'em for sure. I was really happy with what I was hearing and didn't even feel any urge to try anything else which is not typical for me since I usually tend to beat a dead horse and over analyze stuff to death! smile
Posted by: DRTone

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/26/10 12:06 PM

Kudos here too for your nice review VSA! As I said on the other board (Stratus) I could have used your review 6 months ago when I picked up my K10...but hey, it sounds great and made overall sense for me. I liked the sound so much better than my Mesa 50-50 setup that I had no hesitation. In any case, powered monitors are a sweet option for tone and utility for 11R users.

Your next video...?? smile

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/26/10 01:42 PM

Gee DRTone... I am surprised to hear you would rate a powered monitor above a tube 50/50?.. how come?

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/26/10 02:23 PM

Don't get me wrong...for some sounds there's nothing like a Mesa. That said, the beauty of the 11R is that it enables you to get so many different, great sounds. I found that my 50/50 and Mesa cabs colored the sound a lot more than the K10. Also, the K10 provided additional flexibility for use as a small PA for acoustic work. At least for me the K10 was the better option. YMMV smile

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/26/10 04:03 PM

Geez...let's hope not! I didn't get into that entertaining thread over there but just got caught up and I'm impressed how much "restraint" you and VSA displayed smile "Sincerely" smile smile

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/26/10 04:21 PM

Kudos to you DRTone for not letting yourself get sucked into it as I let myself do!

And once it was pointed out to me, that "Ignore User" function is GREAT!!!!

But I don't wanna hijack VSA's thread here, so I'm gonna let it be! grin

Later bro!
Mike

Posted by: DrGit

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/26/10 05:10 PM

Guess I need to upgrade...lol

VSA, you know I've been pumping the K10 for like 6 months now. Only, i never A/B'd it to anything. It was included in my Axe FX deal. I will definitely check out the EV if I ever gig out again. For my home playing, and for what i'm doing right now, the K10 gets it done.

Glad you found your solution though, VSA....
Posted by: Stratman + 11R

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/28/10 10:33 AM

I also A/B these speakers and have a different opinion.
EV is not in the same class.

Question: How long have you worked for EV or is it Sam Ash?

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/28/10 05:50 PM

That's Cold Man. VSA is a good guy and we all like him here. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/28/10 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Stratman + 11R

Naaah....did you really mean to launch a personal attack on one of the most supportive, helpful, informative and genuinely nice guys on this board, just because you have a different "opionion"??

As always, VSA put forth a fair and detailed gear analysis, supported his "opinion" with his impressions and rationale, included links to specs for the products and was actually guite complimentary about the QSC gear. Contrast that with your "opinion" above. You would be wise to take a lesson from VSA on how to put it forward in a helpful, constructive manner...just my "opinion". I own a K10 and am happy with it but certainly don't feel VSA wrote anything other than a constructive review which will be useful for others considering similar products.

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/28/10 09:21 PM

I actually thought it was cool what he said, cause now i want to try one (EV) though knowing myself (i won't).....I'm pretty much a closet guitar player these days

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/29/10 04:39 AM

It’s all in how you read the post.

It was not a personal attack, rather a friendly poke at EV and Sam Ash.

I have a QSC K12’s and used to use EV for the PA (Since switched) - everyone can have their own opinion. I found EV colored the tone and were not so useful at lower volume levels.

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/29/10 05:50 AM

Originally Posted By: DRTone
Don't get me wrong...for some sounds there's nothing like a Mesa. That said, the beauty of the 11R is that it enables you to get so many different, great sounds. I found that my 50/50 and Mesa cabs colored the sound a lot more than the K10. Also, the K10 provided additional flexibility for use as a small PA for acoustic work. At least for me the K10 was the better option. YMMV smile

I can also verify the Mesa 50/50 does not sound good with the Eleven Rack... I was surprised... The QSC's DO sound better than the 50/50 into a cab hands down...

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/29/10 05:53 AM

Geez...let's hope not! I didn't get into that entertaining thread over there but just got caught up and I'm impressed how much "restraint" you and VSA displayed smile "Sincerely" smile smile

It wasn't easy smile Plus the more restraint we displayed, the more he would become an even bigger jerk because thats exactly what he was after. One word "narcicist" (sp?)

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/29/10 06:15 AM

It’s all in how you read the post.

Whheewwww, that's how I read into it too....which I'm glad cause I didn't want to get into a ANOTHER brawl with someone on these here forums, defending my bro! grin

For a second, I was gonna ask if you were really Cary in disguise there Stratman! LOL

But it's like you said, it's all about personal opinions!

Rock on dude!
Mike

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/29/10 07:26 AM

It's cool brother - the review is not meant to step on any toes by any stretch. We do need to make sure you understand the application by which I was comparing these cabs. Not as use as a PA cab but as a guitar cabinet which I may or may not have made clear - I thought I had. Assuming you are clear on that and used them both for the same application, you have you opinion and right to disagree with my assessment which is the whole idea of me A/B'ing them and presenting MY assessment. It's only MY opinion which doesn't make it right or wrong. We obviously all hear things differently and it's ultimately up to you to make the right decision for YOU which you clearly have and that's great.

I have to say though that you mention you A/B'd them but it sounds more like you have used an EV (though you don't clarify if its the same model) as a PA cab and that's not the same application I am using these for and that would require an entirely different set of test controls.

I can't say that I'd choose the EV's over the QSC's for use as a PA or that low volume application is better with one over the other because again, that wasn't my objective on either front. I need something (a) loud and (b) something that sounds like a guitar cab since I was looking to find an alternative to a power amp / cab scenario with the QSC's being the front runner based on the reviews I have seen on them.

I'm not suggesting everyone with a QSC go out and by an EV and throw your QSC's on Craigslist TODAY! This review is only meant to offer everyone who is searching for a powered monitor solution and offering up my experience on the matter and at least throwing out another option to TRY.

Larry Carlton uses the QSC's and some guy that tours with Hall and Oats, so clearly they are great sounding cabs...

I can see why you'd prefer the QSC's - as I said they sound great and if I could only buy those, I'd have no buyers remorse whatsoever. The EV's for my application just work for me. To me (and the other 2 guys with 80 years of guitar playing experience between us) it just replicated a guitar cab better to our ears but that's not to say the QSC's "suck" because they don't.

It's definitely two different animals and just like with presets here, some people favor a lot of high end, some like to scoop mids, etc... It's all subjective and not everyone is going to like one over the other, all I can do is report my findings as with anyone who does a review on any product. It's up to the reader to make their own assessment but as I said there was over 80 years worth of guitar playing experience (with VERY different styles and genre preferences) who all shared the same opinion so that has to account for something.

I do think if you are using it for a PA, there's another whole mindset in how you'd go about demo'ing those for that application but I did not demo it in that way, but rather as use strictly as a guitar cabinet for live and rehearsal situations and my opinion was that the EV's won out. The EV sounded like there was a guitar cab in the room, the QSC's sounded like a PA cab with a guitar cab mic'd up in another room. It sounded great, but didn't have that feel of a cab in the room that the EV had. That's the best way I can describe it.

There was one undeniable observation that everyone in the room pointed out and that was the QSC's did sound like there was a blanket over the grill when we A/B's them in comparison to the EV's but we weren't struck by that opinion when we first heard the QSC's before hearing the EV's. I was all but ready to purchase the QSC's and believe me I completely poo-poo'd the idea of even considering the EV's because I've never been a fan. It was originally my SOLE intent to just figure out which of the QSC's I was going to buy. The Sam Ash guy is the one who had run the 11R through all different kinds of cabs and he suggested it and I was simply entertaining him because he was gracious enough to get all that set up for me and spent all that time with me. Had we not tried the EV I would have bought the QSC's on the spot and not thought twice about it.

I know the statement "it sounded like a blanket was over it" sounds like I am dissing the QSC, but it's just an observation of how it sounded in comparison, and to me that's what was the deal breaker.

I just happen to be drawn to the sound of the EV's once I heard it and like anything, it's not going to be for everyone and that's why I didn't say anything like "Definitely dont even bother trying the QSC's - buy the EV's" because I have uber amounts of respect for the guys in this forum who use the QSC's and clearly is a front runner when it comes to powered cabs and they were chosen for factors that were critical to their own personal preferences, applications and needs and it works for them and that's ultimately what matters.

I would suggest to you constructively that if you have a strong opinion on something, that you should at least elaborate to be taken more seriously as people would like to hear what you have to say. Nobody reads ONE review and makes a decision - that would be extremely irresponsible. I know I personally review products to DEATH especially when it's something I may not have access to so I know it would be appreciated especially if you have also demo'd the same products. To simply say "its not in the same class" is vague and doesn't really mean anything to anyone without any backup and just sounds like a defensive response to the idea that someone would prefer something other than what you feel is far superior.

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/29/10 08:57 AM

It's all in how you read the post.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up...that's what I hoped. Now I can take back all that "mushy stuff" I said about that jerk VSA smile (Note: smiley used to indicate friendly sarcasim)

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/29/10 09:46 AM

It's all in how you read the post.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up...that's what I hoped. Now I can take back all that "mushy stuff" I said about that jerk VSA smile (Note: smiley used to indicate friendly sarcasim)

We got each others backs man I love it in here! smile This wont turn into a GearPage forum ever! We wont let it! <high five!>

LOL! Wait the way that read, you're calling me a jerk!? "...that jerk VSA" hehehehe

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/29/10 10:18 AM

We got each others backs man I love it in here! smile This wont turn into a GearPage forum ever! We wont let it! <high five!>

LOL! Wait the way that read, you're calling me a jerk!?

Ya man...whatEver! I'll give you a call later today...can I reach you at your Sam Ash # or is today your gig @EV? smile

OK...Sorry, I'm out of here, let's get back to productive things VSA & Stratman

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/29/10 01:14 PM

The difficulties that I have with the subjective post VSA made is that I tried a lot of different applications (Power amps, combos, head/cabinets, etc) before settling in on the QSC K12’S

I did in fact try different versions of EV, JBL, QSC, Mackie power and unpowered cabinets and have a completely different view on the QSC K12 (PS: Almost purchased QSC K10’s instead)

BUT, for me the EV’s were too ‘home stereo' sounding not a live performance sounding application where low volume and then high volume situations apply.

Since I started playing back in 1964, you have me beat the number of years you claim with the other friends you have, and therefore, so what then if packaged system work…

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/29/10 01:42 PM

Hey, no worries Stratman...sounds like your ears told you what was right for your applications. They're a great product. I think your added comments will help everyone better understand your thoughts. Enjoy!

OK...I'm really out of here now.

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/29/10 05:37 PM

Larry Carlton uses the QSC's and some guy that tours with Hall and Oats, so clearly they are great sounding cabs...

You should had added Dr Git uses them as well as LC....no pissing match....its cool

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/29/10 06:26 PM

So you use Larry Carlton? That just doesn't sound right bro cool

LOL

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/29/10 09:24 PM

The difficulties that I have with the subjective post VSA made is that I tried a lot of different applications (Power amps, combos, head/cabinets, etc) before settling in on the QSC K12’S

I did in fact try different versions of EV, JBL, QSC, Mackie power and unpowered cabinets and have a completely different view on the QSC K12 (PS: Almost purchased QSC K10’s instead)

BUT, for me the EV’s were too ‘home stereo' sounding not a live performance sounding application where low volume and then high volume situations apply.

Since I started playing back in 1964, you have me beat the number of years you claim with the other friends you have, and therefore, so what if then packaging system work…

I'm happy you love the QSC K12's. They are GREAT powered monitors just as the K10's are which I liked better myself but I am confused why you are having so much "difficulty" with my personal review?

I've read scathing reviews of a lot of gear I use or have used, but that's just the nature of reviews. I just perform my due diligence and use them as a guide to let me know which ones I may want to try for myself and make my own decisions on which gear works best for me.

I'm not sure what you are trying to insinuate exactly and I'm all for a friendly exchange regarding everyones own personal findings as long as we're talking about the same gear. However, it sounds as if you feel like I have some sort of agenda with having chosen the EV's over the QSC's as if there's just no way in hell that I could possibly be telling the truth, or "claiming" things that are not truthful and I'm not sure what to make of that.

I don't care if anyone buys an EV or a QSC - that's not what this is about, it's about letting people know that hey, I was turned on to a monitor that I NEVER even considered checking out and was so pleasantly surprised that I decided to write about it and I'd be just as happy for someone if they chose the QSC or the EV.

Lastly though - I'm not sure what the end of your last sentence means because grammatically it's not making any sense. I think there's a typo there somewhere maybe or am I reading that wrong?

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/30/10 06:55 AM

Sensitive - just a bit?

I have read your post here and on other forums.

Must be nice to be that rich… to actual have all the equipment that you own…

Enjoy all of your equipment.
Posted by: Str@man

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/30/10 08:22 AM

Sensitive - just a bit?

Dude, give it a rest!!

My guess is, it IS nice to be able to afford all the different equipment; and your point (other than jealousy) is???????????

If you don't like or agree with VSA or his opinions, fine, we get it, now the question is SO????????????????????

I (and MANY others) would not even own an 11R if it wasn't for VSA taking the time to make different video's and sharing them on youtube; he gave an honest opinion of how it sounds and what it could do and based upon his video along with additional research I did, I'm now a proud owner of the Rack.

I appreciate his opinions and research for his experience with QSC - EV, but that's what it is, HIS OPINION.... now I'm going to say those last two words again, vewy vewy sloweee:

H I S - O P I N I O N

I've never met VSA but from all I've know about him here online I LOVE the guy (in a very masculine heterosexual way of course) smirk

Try to deal with your "sensitivity" by planting Hollyhocks or Sweet Williams or maybe listen to old Ethel Merman records or something....sheeeeshhhh!

Oh, and one last thought.... so what if then packaging system work… ummmm, WHATTTT????????????? crazy crazy

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/30/10 03:15 PM

Sensitive - just a bit?

Seriously? LOL! See they have this thing at what they refer to as "savings" and a financial instituton can help you set that up (aka a "Bank") and its amazing when you put as little as $50 per check in there, by the time you find something you wish to spend that money on, there's enough saved to use that money to buy that item! It's really neat and in the course of 20 years you'd be surprised how much gear you can aquire with all that saved money! AND the best part is if you buy gear that you no longer need / want in the course of those 20 years - other people will actually BUY that gear from you and you have even MORE money to put towards NEWER gear! I know it sounds revolutionary and complex in theory but its quite simple. Just google "how to save money" and you'll find a wealth of resources on the subject.

See? I can make ridiculous comments too.

Seriously brother let it go - it's obvious you have no sincere interest in discussing anything with any amount of rationality. If you change your mind I'm all but willing to entertain continuing this discussion but I'm going to take a wild stab...

Your name isn't Cary Chilton is it?

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/30/10 04:00 PM

Hey...great for you! That is completely cool....to each his own! Whatever floats your boat! What works for some doesn't work for others. We all get that! But just because you disagree with VSA... to call his opinion "SUBJECTIVE" is just plain weak dude!

Since I started playing back in 1964, you have me beat the number of years you claim with the other friends you have, and therefore, so what then if packaged system work…

UUhhh......WHAT??? crazy crazy crazy I have no friggin idea what your trying to say there! Are you trying to imply that since you've been playing longer that some of us have been alive, that you know more than we do, and that YOUR opinions are more valid???? That is absurd dude! And quite frankly, quite a bit egotistical! We ALL know that music and opinions are ALL subjective, and we can all have a different opinion on ANYTHING. That doesn't make any one person right or wrong....just different, and THAT IS COMPLETELY OK! THAT'S AMERICA dude... freedom of speech and such! (no disrespect intended to anyone who lives elsewhere). But when someone tries to tout that THEIR opinion is better than someone else's, and then cop's an attitude when someone else disagrees, then that just shows how narrow minded, egotistical and insecure that person is! It sounds like YOUR the one who is sensitive "a bit"...or is that "ALLOT"?!?!

Sensitive - just a bit?

Hey guy, I do not know how old you are, or how long you really have been playing or ANYTHING like that, but you'll find that when ALLOT of people get into playing music and it is a passion of theirs, it is VERY EASY to accumulate equipment over the YEARS! It's scary to me to think back at all of the money that I have spent over the last 20+ years on guitars and equipment, but that doesn't make me or someone like VSA rich dude! And if we were, SO WHAT??? If you've got a problem with that, then that is YOUR problem sir! Don't cop an attitude with someone else just because YOUR the one who has issues, dude!

If you have anything CONSTRUCTIVE to point out, then I'm sure we'd ALL like to hear it. This is a really friendly place here with lots of cool people. Friendly exchanges and opinions and such are absolutely welcome, but for you to start playing the jealousy card, well it just makes you sound like a little 10 year old girl...not like someone who's been playing since '64! Check the attitude at the door bro!

Your name isn't Cary Chilton is it?

It's kind of starting to read that way, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit! I'm about ready ta go off again bro!!! mad Hold me back! grin

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/30/10 08:17 PM

I'm holding you back Mike!!!! wink

Just cracks me up - That last post was just out of NOWHERE and didn't pertain to anything and a typical backed into a corner response to divert attention away from the fact that he started something he's not equipped to finish in a reasonable fashion I guess...?

hell who knows... and again I've already wasted 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back on what was initially looking like what was going to be a friendly exchange!

Silly me. smile Good thing I have all this money to occupy my time! Whew! LOL

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/31/10 09:57 AM

Yep, I now have 2 jackass's on my ignore list!

Yippie!!!!!!

He felt it necessary to PM me and continue his little tirade.
Well, he at LEAST did it on a PM message instead of on this public thread...so maybe he WASN'T Cary after all! I guess we'll all see.........well I won't, thanks to the incredible, magnificent, glorious IGNORE LIST! grin grin

And I'm sure this thread will get back to where it was intended to be at VSA! It's light outside, so they scurry back into the shadows... LOL

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/31/10 03:51 PM

VaiSatchAtrucci... may I respectfully suggest you forget this fool and his comments as they are not appreciated in this forum and this is all a complete waste of your time and energy... just get back to doing what you do best-creating great sounds and giving good advice..
Tony

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/31/10 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: fayser1
VaiSatchAtrucci... may I respectfully suggest you forget this fool and his comments as they are not appreciated in this forum and this is all a complete waste of your time and energy... just get back to doing what you do best-creating great sounds and giving good advice..
Tony

Trust I'm done. I appreciate the sentiment - point well taken sir.

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 10/31/10 06:49 PM

+1 Tony....+1 !!!!!

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 11/01/10 03:57 AM

You ignored my PM comments and then add what I would suggest you call yourself next time you shave and you are looking in the mirror. Jackass indeed!

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 11/01/10 09:01 AM

Look I think we've all embarrassed ourselves enough (myself included) and taken this way beyond what any of us would be proud to admit so if we can all just drop it, agree to disagree, we can go back to enjoying the forum as it's intended to be. We're all out for the same thing here and I think I speak for all of us when I say nobody wants to make anything but friends and there's no reason we can't get back to doing that.
Posted by: Badcard

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 06/13/11 04:19 AM

Fantastic review VSA, exactly what I needed to get me an idea as to what to...Bu...Audition!!
Yes, that's what (good) reviews are for, helping you pre-select items and then bring your attention on to what to look/listen for when you try them. whistle
That's right.. still got to try them! grin

Those choices really seem to be in the ball park for the application I'm looking for. I'm glad VSA did take the time to try different tones (including clean patches) and not limit the audition to one type/style of sound.

Regarding the EV:
One question, the 3.5K EQ cut you made, was it necessary on all the patches? Isn't there a possibility to EQ on the speaker itself?

What about reliability?, Any issues since you have them (read some reviews with people having some recurrent problems with it although they loved the sound...)

Cheers mate.
Posted by: TLTD

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 06/14/11 12:17 AM

Thanks for the review, when it comes down to it I usually have to hear more than one or two different people's advice so I don't see why this would become any kind of argument unless alcohol or marketing is involved which is what it seemed like but good thing I just don't want to care that much. All I see is a +1, +1, -1..."uncolored, colored, low volume" - then I take that and file it away with any new information. Any useless info not directly related to audio like friends, ages, etc; stays here for others enjoyment/confusion/whatever; until Sharon Osbourne shows up or something else happens. If there were any real results for best anything audio, there'd be one company making everything and having only one model of each amp, guitar, etc. It's kind of like when Walliman pulled out some old Boss pedals and to me blew away the more expensive Suhr overdrives and stuff. 15 years ago I much preferred solid state amps over tube amps now I need tubeyness. I sometimes think to myself, "are you sure you want that crappy sound?" when someone is recording an overdub in the studio, but I ask them if they are happy and that's the end of my input. I've recorded with someone who decided to even come up and dial up my amp the way they wanted after months of practicing with it a certain way. Everyone hears things differently.

Any way you look at it, you should be able to take a guitar, something that does distortion, some speakers, and make something good and say "hey, I took this and this and I liked this speaker with that preamp" without any kind of "well, you're wrong and everyone likes you better than me" lol wtf.

I'm wrong about liking what I like. God, I'm so stupid! It's right there in the manual. Why do they even have knobs, they could just solder the pots to the proper spec and everyone would have the perfect sound.
Posted by: Badcard

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 06/14/11 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: TLTD
Why do they even have knobs, they could just solder the pots to the proper spec and everyone would have the perfect sound.

laugh
Posted by: moff40

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 06/14/11 02:44 PM

Thanks for the review VSA.

I've begun the hunt for a powered monitor to use with my 11R as well. I want to be able to sell off 4 or 5 of my amps (everything except my Mesa), and just use the 11R and my in-ears for everything, but for some reason, other people in the band want to be able to hear me as well smile , so they prefer some kind of onstage amp. A powered wedge is always handy, and can be used as an amp on smaller gigs.

A challenge I face in my search is that I can't A/B these boxes, because each line (EV, QSC, and Yorkville) are all carried by different retailers.... frown My special circumstance is that I also occasionally do bass gigs. While the 11R has a great model in the Blue Line Bass (sounds just like my SVT to me), I need a powered monitor that can support it, sometimes at pretty high levels.

I have not played the EV SxA250, but I was able to try out the new ELX115P, which is sort of the same thing (wooden box, 1x15 + horn), but made offshore, and has a 1000-watt class D poweramp. I have to say it's a very good sounding speaker - or should I say "neutral-sounding"? It sounds very much like the cabinets the 11R is emulating, whether that's a 4x12 with Greenbacks or an 8x10 SVT. And it was very nice with my 12-string acoustic as well (using a rig\patch with both the amp and cab bypassed). I can only imagine what the SxA sounds like. The one I tested was a loaner from the store's rental inventory, but if they had had one in their "for sale" stock, I probably would have bought it today. As it is, they'd have to order one in, and they want to be able to order more than just one piece. That means it'll be a while.

As a side note, the speaker I borrowed smelled like skunky pot. Made my family room smell like pot. Because it was a rental unit, I thought it might have been used at a REALLY good party over the weekend. But apparently not. The ELX series apparently smell like that because of an adhesive or spray used on the 15" speaker's cone.

BTW, according to my EV dealer, the SxA250 is not discontinued by EV (it's in the newest price guide that's only a couple of weeks old), but suggested there is a possibility that some dealers have stopped carrying them because of the LiveX series stuff - or it may be that the SxA is available by special order only.

Next up for testing will be the QSC K12s. One of the guys in one of the bands I'm playing with is the manager at the local QSC dealer, so I'm sort of obligated to at least try them out. I have to say though, that after hearing the EV, the QSC will have to be staggeringly good to substantiate the extra $200 price tag.

The other challenge I face is that the retailer that sells the more expensive QSCs also takes stuff in on trade (this may be a necessary option if I have a challenge selling my existing amps), while the EV guy doesn't.
Posted by: GoonBash

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 06/15/11 08:18 AM

+1 for the 'thank you VSA' vibe.
I was a lot better informed when I went to decide on/buy my powered monitors due to VSA's previous research....and as with everything else in music I just let my own ears make my final decision for me.

If your ears like different things than VSA then good on ya, go do your thing your way, but the negativity being projected just detracts from an otherwise interesting discussion.

And I own 2 EVs and an 11rack, and 3 tube amps, and I've lost track of how many guitars.....no apologies forthcoming from me for working hard in my 20s and 30s so I can do what I like now. My guess is if you are on the 11rack forum, you probably aren't a electronics purist playing an acoustic bluegrass guitar around the same single microphone as the rest of your band anyway, so what gear and how much of it is as individual a decision as your influences and styles of music that you choose to pursue.
I believe VSA is actually the secret illegitimate son of Bill Gates who is spending his hush money payoffs on gear. wink
Posted by: moff40

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 06/20/11 06:04 PM

I ended up buying the K12, mostly because of the trade-in - the QSC dealer would take a trade-in, and the EV dealer wouldn't.

Even though I didn't end up buying it, I actually liked the EV more - it was a more neutral sounding speaker, and sounded more like the actual amp and cab were in the room. Might be because of a wood cabinet vs PVC, or maybe the difference between a 12" and 15" speaker. Don't get me wrong though, the K12 sounds VERY nice, and seemed to handle a bass amp model better (I want this rig to be able to do every gig I do). That said, I still have a 30-day return window if I'm not satisfied at the next gig.
Posted by: 777

Re: QSC K12 -vs- QSC K10 -vs- EV SXA250 Shootout! - 09/11/11 07:39 PM

Ok, after reading VaiSatchAtrucci's excellent post and viewing his video RE: the EV SXA250, I went for it and bought one. Tried it at practice today, and it was AWESOME!!! Thank you VERY much for sharing this information. I had tried running my Eleven Rack through a Marshall 50/50 tube power amp into a Genz Benz 2x12 and a Splawn 4x12, which was ok, but I was thinking of getting a Mesa Simulclass 2:90, when I saw this post and ended up buying the SXA250. I really love it.

I have some basic questions that I am hoping you guys can help me with.

1. Would there be any significant advantage to getting another one and running it in stereo? Or maybe a QSC for the other output, to give the sound more dimension?

2. Did you tweak your presets for the SXA in any particular way, and if so, do you have any posted? I note that you use the Road King model, which is coincidental, as that is also my favorite. My rhythm guitar player actually plays through a Road King, too. smile

3. Is there any best practice for volumes? Today, I set the SXA master volume at about 75%, my Eleven Rack rig output at 0 db and my Eleven Rack master volume at about 6.5. It was loud but not crushing.

4. Have you been setting your SXA in front of you like a floor monitor, or behind you like backline? We have a gig this weekend, which will be the true test.

5. Today, I ran the XLR out of the Eleven Rack into the SXA. Is that the best way to go?

6. What about getting it into the PA? Do you mic it or use the XLR direct out?

7. Have you tried Craig Anderton's EQ ideas - parametric, etc.? I haven't but am interested in the idea.

Those are all the questions I can think of right now.

Thanks very much for your help!