So, who are our members?

Posted by: moff40

So, who are our members? - 05/14/12 02:19 PM

I was thinking about this the other day... It's sometimes helpful if we know who we're talking to, so just as a matter of curiosity, I was wondering "who" our membership is. How many "pro" players, how many intermediates, and how many new players, and who are they?

So how about a questionnaire?

How old are you (range)?
How long have you been playing guitar (range)?
What style(s) do you play?
Do you play other instruments? Which ones?
Are you in a band (or have you been)?
Do you play (or have you ever played) professionally (full time)?
If so, at what level (clubs, concerts in support of a major label release, etc)?
At what level do you primarily gig now (large concerts, corporate events\festivals, clubs, weddings, bar mitzvahs, house parties)?
How often do you play live?

I'll start:

How old are you (range)?
Chronologically 52, mentally 25.

About 45 years.

Primarily rock\hard rock and NWOBHM, but I've also played blues, jazz, country, disco, funk, and pop/top 40.

Do you play other instruments?
Yes

Which ones?
Bass, drums, some keys. I also sing lead (baritone with some tenor range).

Yes. About 5 presently - a '70s disco band, a Chicago tribute, an Etta James tribute, and a couple of weekend top-40 bands. I also do a lot of freelance\sit-in work - I seem to be the guy people call when they need a sub for guitar, bass, or drums.

You betcha.

If so, at what level (clubs, concerts in support of a major label release, etc)?
Concerts supporting major label albums, though the majority of that was in the mid-late '80s.

At what level do you primarily gig now (large concerts, corporate events\festivals, worship, clubs, cruise ships, weddings, bar mitzvahs, house parties)?
All of the above smile. Mosly clubs and corporate gigs now, but every so often something bigger comes up. For example, I'm flying to Germany in July to play the Headbanger's Open Air festival.

Two years ago, I was down from every night to only 4 or 5 nights a week. But times have changed and clubs don't want to pay enough, so I only play a few times a month now. That said, the summer festival season is upon us, so the disco, Chicago, and Etta bands will be working a ton.
Posted by: samknaak

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/14/12 02:30 PM

How old are you (range)?
Mid-30's

20+

Alt-rock, Alt-country and singer-songwriter type stuff.

Yes

Which ones?
Mando, Slide, Ukulele, some Pedal Steel, keys, Hammond, drums, bass

Turning down more and more for studio work. Getting old, just love the studio more.

Yep.

Again mostly studio stuff, my work is on TV, movies regularly... toured with bands in the last 15 years, got to meet a lot of great people and was fun!

At what level do you primarily gig now (large concerts, corporate events\festivals, clubs, weddings, bar mitzvahs, house parties)?
I produce, own a pretty nice studio and have a number of artists on my record label.

Once to twice a month.

I mostly geek out on the studio side. Been mixing and producing about 14 years now and have got to work with some A-listers and great people. Makes what I do sound even better. Trying to song-write more too, cause my work is on TV and movies but I notice the people that write the songs get the better deal :-) Also love my guitar collection, got my own signature guitar too made by Danny Songhurst.

Fun stuff...
Posted by: MRJSTUDIOS

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/14/12 02:53 PM

How old are you (range)?
I'm in my 20's.

8+ years.

Rock and Hard Rock, Metal, some Metalcore/proggy stuff, country, pop, funk, and dance (electronic).

Yep, I play trumpet and have been playing electric bass recently on some of my recordings (for convenience and lack of a bass player nearby). My vocal tone stinks, so I mostly keep to singing layered background vocals.

Yep -- Balanced is my main band. We do mostly classic to really hard rock. I also do studio session playing and producing with a few other acts in a few different genres.

Yep. I had a session job for a while 2 years ago. Now the playing I'm doing is still largely "professional," but it's more on the independent label side of things, since I self-produce in my studio. I'm continuously expanding my personal studio, and hope to build it into a large and hopefully sought-after pro studio eventually.

Major label demos, major label songwriting/session work, publishing company showcases/demos, independent/smaller-ish studio session work, co-writing with/for other artists, etc.

At what level do you primarily gig now (large concerts, corporate events\festivals, worship, clubs, cruise ships, weddings, bar mitzvahs, house parties)?

I generally don't gig right now... being a full-time college student makes it really hard to rehearse and play live with my band. So pretty much everything I'm doing now is in the studio.
Posted by: SteelDragon72

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/14/12 03:42 PM

How old are you (range)?

Several years of on-again/off-again

Metal. Faves are Zakk Wylde and Kirk Hammett

No

Yes, a Slayer cover band

Nope

None

Home Studio =)

None.
Posted by: Birdie

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/14/12 03:59 PM

How old are you (range)?
I am 43

About 25 years

I like RUSH, Racer X, Greg Howe, Andy Timmons (coolest local guy EVER!), Yngwie, Dream Theater, Stride, Symphony X, Helstar, Pantera, Priest, Ark, Pagan's Mind, Adagio, Kansas, Maiden, Lynchmob, Dokken, Satch, Eric Johnson, SRV, Ed Guy, Cloudscape, Porcupine Tree, etc...

No..not really..I guess it depends on your definition of "play"..

Nope..No one wants an old, fat, ugly dude that sucks in their band..go figure?

No..have made money from playing in the past, but not much, and never enough to live on for more than a few hours.

I played in "metal" bands in college and after, was in a band that won a "Battle of the Bands" and got to open for Blue Murder/Billy Squier (weird bands to tour together eh?)in like 1988, opened for Eric Johnson that same year, also opened for Greg Howe and his brother Albert (Howe II), then after college played with some cats that opened for Pantera a lot..they were local back then and played at "Joe's Garage" in Fort Worth several times a month..was coolest times of my life back then! But I suck now, so no one wants me frown

I don't. I just jam with a few other old guys near me now and again.

Every night I can..in my "man cave"..! LOL..! smile

Posted by: X-Mann

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/14/12 04:00 PM

How about a few more questions........ wink

1) Do you record with your Eleven Rack?

2) If so, do you record covers & or originals?

3) Have you ever used your Eleven Rack out at a live gig?

4) If so, how did it sound & work for you?

5) What are your other favorite hobbies besides music & guitar playing?

Optional Q: Married, single etc...etc....etc...

Most of us that have been on this forum for the past 2+-years know most of this kind of stuff, but this could be cool for the newer peeps..... cool

Peace! X-Mann

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/14/12 04:30 PM

How old are you (range)?
I feel like I'm in the early 30's range now that I've lost those 38 F-in lbs of fat.... grin

Since I was 12 & heard M.J.'s "Beat it" solo w/ some guy named Edward Van Something or other....... shocked

90's covers, Pop & Melodic Rock & my own brand of original instrumental type melodic, pop, Tremonti infused Saraceno slippery legato type music......

ALL 11-Rack audio clips......

X-Mann Originals.......
http://soundcloud.com/udamann88/322-1

http://soundcloud.com/udamann88/hero-mix-1-no-master

Neil Zaza Cover of "I'm Alright"......
http://soundcloud.com/udamann88/im-alright-x-mann

I slap da bass man.......& program drums & Rap like a white boy in heat....... eek

I play(ed) for the all 90's tribute band "The X-Generation" for 3-years & was the sub for the Mega-80's band..........6-years at Kensington church as a non-paid player & 4-more as a paid Semi-Pro......(playing out & or even getting paid doesn't make you a pro though in my mind though)....It makes you a working musician & that's way cool too .....fwiw

NO.......I played 50+ shows a year for 3-years straight (so a little over 160 shows in total)......but kept a day job.......& had to quit last year due to a great new job.......but I sure do miss the gigs.......& sub w/ other bands now that X-Gen folded.......

Bars......(The Fat Years....lol)

On T.V.............

More Bars....(Shitty Camera Phone Video)

Opened Sterling-fest for R.E.O. Speedwagon..........

Played side gigs at a Mega Church w/ some real Pro musicians......& used the 11-Rack..........(1st gig out w/ my 11-Rack & I had just lost the 1st 15lbs too)

More Church Chat......w/ the 11-Rack & I lost all the weight here......Yea!

When my job is not killing me (& it is) I fill-in all over the place........I like to write songs, make videos & do jams w/ my 11-Rack brothers all over the globe....... smirk

I created a series of videos called "X-TV" that was 100% Eleven Rack influenced.......

Helped make a video for a global jam with all of my Brothers "O" Eleven.....

Every day I play live for my two dogs Rocco & Zeus.......& I think that they love just it! smirk I also just did a global video jam w/ some new (& old) buddies that will break real soon........Lead by a very interesting/creative soul named Cranky.....somethin.....somethin.....Ray.....somethin....

I like to dress-up in costume & it doesn't take much to make that happen.......I love dogs & animals........Chicks with HUGE Racks........Beer........Going for long walks (ok, 13.1 mile runs..lol)......Being held tight on a cold night shocked.......Beer......& anything to do w/ some dude named Mark Tremonti......Oh & add more boobs & even more beer & you have a great idea of who I am, what I look like, what I play like & what I'm all about.............I'm also a HUGE fan of THIS forum (& it's peeps) & the Eleven Rack.........The Eleven Rack is a game changer......It makes you a better player & helps you create music......

Oh......& I gave myself the nickname "X-Mann" & just loved it until my mom got on Facebook & started calling me it....... cry....& now I'm fine w/ just plain old Tim......

Peace! Tim (aka X-Mann, Guitar Hobbyest, lover of music, Husband, Father & Alter Bridge lover) \m/
Posted by: Justin

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/14/12 05:03 PM

How old are you (range)?
I am 44

About 34 years

Really like songwriting - all styles of rock, blues, pop. Love 80's hair metal.

Only a little.

Not currently. I was in a band in the San Francisco Bay Area called "The Particles" from 1990-2000.

No.

I've played out at clubs. Only local band stuff though.

Not currently. I really love recording in Pro Tools and am engineering/mixing these days.

N/A
Posted by: moff40

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/14/12 05:28 PM

To answer X-Mann's questions:

Yes, though not as frequently as I'd like.

Originals

Always

4) If so, how did it sound & work for you?
It's great live, for guitar and for bass gigs.

I used to play golf in the summer and hockey in the winter ( I AM Canadian after all, and if I didn't play hockey, I'd have to renounce my citizenship! smile ) I sucked at both, but it was fun and some exercise. But I don't do either much anymore; just work, piddle around the house, and hang with my wife and our two kids (9 and 13). Everything else seems to be music related - gigging, learning songs for another gig, maintaining my gear, writing.

Married.
Posted by: jesling

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/14/12 08:57 PM

How old are you (range)?
46ish

36 years

Who knows? I just call it rock-n-roll.

Keys, bass, Cajon, and I sing

Played with two bands for about a decade during the late 80s to late 90s.
These days I mostly play with church worship bands.

Quit my job in 95 to go full time with the music, but by 97 my wife and I were building websites for a living.

clubs, youth functions, colleges, festivals

Church worship bands

As much as I can.

Do you record with your Eleven Rack?
I'd love to but haven't had time.

If so, do you record covers & or originals?
I would record both.

Have you ever used your Eleven Rack out at a live gig?
Always

If so, how did it sound & work for you?
It has been wonderful, and I get lots of nice compliments on my sound.

What are your other favorite hobbies besides music & guitar playing?
Hey, I workout! I enjoy hiking and taking photos in the great outdoors.

Am I married?
Married my best friend in 1991 and we've been blessed to be able to hangout together 24 hours a day for the last 20+ years.
Posted by: Mister_Riff

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/15/12 12:00 AM

How old are you (range)?
I'm 23 years old grin

I started playing on my 16th birthday so that would be 7 years ... Man I suck to be playing 7 years laugh

Primarily Heavy Metal but sometimes Blues and jazz fusiony backingstuff. I also like to cover 8bit music on guitar ( For those who don't know what 8bit is)

I started playing bass a couple of months back.

Sadly never been in a band frown My local scene totally sucks: everyone who plays an instrument seems to be in either the most brutal of death metal or songwriterstuff ... Just the other day I travelled 4 hours with a friend to see Periphery ... which is crazy since in 5 hours you can make it from one border to the other in Belgium (small country laugh). Most bands also refuse to play in Belgium because of the ridiculious DB-rules frown

Nope

X-Mann's Questions:
Yes! Nearly every day ...

I record some covers (the music I like is crazy difficult) but I mostly record some crappy metal backings or remixes of video game music. cool

Nope

Me and my best friend (been friends for 20 years now) get together once or twice a week to play some Call of Duty and watch movies.

Optional Q: Married, single
Single
Posted by: TLTD

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/15/12 01:42 AM

39 year old male with 26 years of guitar playing/teaching/recording, seeking someone that likes 80s metal and glam (or pretends to) and looks SUPER HOT!

I've never done the live thing, but like the occasional live get together, or just watching someone else. When I'm watching something live, my tastes open up quite a bit. I can enjoy some country live, blues is just 10x better, jazz is pretty cool too.

I like to do other stuff, but mostly just like to make sure the kids have tons of games and things to do. I'd like to hit an arcade, go for walks, church service, just hang out with friends and family and do whatever.

Getting kinda old, and was pretty unhealthy so I guess it's a hobby to try and get back in shape lol. I bench pressed for the first time I don't know how many years have passed. My back I think is getting much better and everything's coming together for my health this year.

I have three "jobs" I guess (four if you count "dad") but don't really make a lot of money. But those are very awesome and tell you a lot about what I like to do: Write, Shoot Video, Play with software, buy & sell electronics, make kids laugh. I like consulting and solving problems too. The bigger the problem, the better (unless it's mine then I can't consult myself). Always an answer for everything.

The key to success in music I think, and my best work in recording was to record an album in a studio situation and realize just how tough it is to perform vs. all the time in the world to do punch ins and retakes in Pro Tools & Cakewalk. Spending a day trying to record 12 songs really makes you appreciate spending a week to record one lol.

BTW success=just doing it.

Play on your worst day and see what you got.

Play on your best day and have fun with it.

Play those extra harmonies and guitars when you already think it's good enough. I'm no Vai, but I could make a few lol

Be happy when you got the time and put something down even if it SUCKS! lol
Posted by: TLTD

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/15/12 01:59 AM

Oh, here's what I did before I got injured. Absolutely no guitar time whatsoever, but was a fun job.

Trucking Around the US!

I hope to see the country again, and some of these spots. But actually get out of the truck and look around, maybe shoot some videos of the whole tour and make it a travel documentary and try to show some things that people don't realize are nice to see...like how cool some stuff is at night with all the lights, etc. Some roadways and cities are so beautiful. You get caught up in all the day traffic and rushing around and miss a lot of it.
Posted by: crhfish

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/15/12 06:32 AM

How old are you (range)?
I'm 52.

I started playing my freshman year of college. Played through college, started working and quit until I picked it back up about 6 years ago.

Mostly Rock but I do play some bluegrass also.

Not any more, played Sax for years when i was younger.

I played for money for about 5 years in my late high school and early college days but not on guitar. I played sax in Jazz bands, pop bands and for theater.

Sorta, when I played in my early years on sax and a few other instruments, it was my only source of income but i was going to school, not working full time.

X-Mann's Questions:
Yes!

I have finished three original songs. Working on some more.

Nope

I'm retired and travel quite a bit. I also fish at least once a week. I also spend as much time with my kids as I can. They are grown and working now but live close.

Married 30 years.
Posted by: rodakamalfl

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/15/12 07:01 AM

How old are you?
[b]I am 44 (man where did the last 20 years go?

How long have you been playing guitar?
Have played for 30 years and still try to play everyday

I play blues,rock, metal but now getting into Jazz/Fusion more.

Bass a little

Yes I play in a professional AC/DC Tribute Band

Do you play (or have you ever played) professionally (full time)? Never played full-time, but for last 10 years have done the ac/dc tribute gig, 3yrs in UK and 7yrs in USA

In Highway to Hell we play major festivals all over FL, Daytona Bike Fest etc..and have played some big international shows. Some video of us live in Mexico Oct 2011 Hermosiloo

3+ times a month
Posted by: aussiebail

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/15/12 08:18 AM

Originally Posted By: crhfish
How old are you (range)?
I'm 52.

I'm retired and travel quite a bit. I also fish at least once a week. I also spend as much time with my kids as I can. They are grown and working now but live close.

Brother what did you retire from? This is honestly one of my #1 goals in life and I would love to do it by 50....any advice?
Posted by: djemass

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/15/12 08:19 AM

How old are you (range)?
37 years old

More than 22 years

Rock and derivatives.

I started singing a couple of months back.

not currently, with 2 very young children at home (the last is 7 monthes old)

Too much time ago smile? Not anymore

X-Mann's Questions:
Every day

Both.

Yes, I posted some videos in this forum of small gigs

Taking care of my children, belgian beers :p

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/15/12 08:22 AM

Originally Posted By: rodakamalfl

In Highway to Hell we play major festivals all over FL, Daytona Bike Fest etc..and have played some big international shows. Some video of us live in Mexico Oct 2011 Hermosiloo

Cool video man!
Posted by: Jase2112

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/15/12 09:09 AM

How old are you (range)?

~14 years

I grew up listening to Rush and like almost all styles of music, so that comes out in my playing. Favorite players are Alex Lifeson, SRV, Jimmy Page, Dave Weiner, Andy Summers, Tim Mahoney, The Edge, Johnny Marr, Tony McManus, Martin Simpson, and a bunch more. Learning different styles from the 80's has been a real education and great for pulling my playing in new directions.

No - though I wish I could sing.

I was in a classic rock cover band for 3.5 years and have been playing in an all 80's cover band for the last seven months - we play lots of pop/rock, some hair band/hard rock, and a few one-hit wonders.

No - I'm not that good and I like my day job:)

At what level do you primarily gig now (large concerts, corporate events\festivals, clubs, weddings, bar mitzvahs, house parties)? Clubs and private parties.

2-4 times a month.

A little bit. I don't know PT that well - enough to record a basic track. If I wasn't learning covers, I would be recording my own stuff and will be one of these days.

If so, do you record covers & or originals? Mostly covers for practice.

It's all I have and need.

Loving it - very happy with my tones.

What are your other favorite hobbies besides music & guitar playing? Reading, working out, and listening to RUSH wherever I go (looking forward to their tour this summer!)

Married to a very understanding wife who also loves music (great voice), and have two great kids, 11 and 5. Both already love music and know about Rush:)

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/15/12 09:19 AM

How old are you (range)?
I'll be in my mid 30's in October smile

14 yrs

90's grunge, classic rock, but I LOVE jazz and jazz fusion

Bass, keys, mandoline, some banjo, some drums ( i can keep a beat!), I can rock a shaker if I have to.
I also sing, mostly harmony if I can help it.

Not now but I was when I was younger. We would play in bars back in Pa, and I was always the rythm guitar, I actually choose the rythm on everything I play it seems. When I moved to Sc, I wanted to continue to make music, so I began learning some lead. I have my go to licks, but I'm no shredder....YET BABY!

I think it takes something special for a band to gel....it is connecting on a level many people never get to experience. I had that when I was younger playing out, and haven't come close to syncing up with other players like that in my area yet.

Nah,

At what level do you primarily gig now
Until recently I played at church every service (small church about 250-300 people). Bass for the main service, Acoustic gtr for the contemporary teen service, Piano for the young kids, and I was the baritone singer in a quartet.

I traded it all in to run sound for our church. It was too frustrating to have something go wrong every service. Music director would turn the eq fader on the board to a "V" every service and then say he couldn't hear out the monitors which would end up with louder volume and then....a squeal...yup every service. So I talked the church into buying a Studiolive mixer and I have it locked out now haha....I hope to run it from my ipad in the near future.

X-Mann's Questions:
I use a studiolive mixer for my interface, but I do use the 11r for guitar processing. My DAW is Cubase 5

mostly originals. I love the satisfaction of starting with an open session and then have a complete track when I'm finished. I might be my biggest fan....but its good for my soul haha

no I haven't....but I'm ready to!

I like shooting guns, I love technology. We live on the lake, so I love jetskiing, boating and being around water!

Married 7 years 3 kids under 6...

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/15/12 09:54 AM

Originally Posted By: aussiebail
Originally Posted By: crhfish
How old are you (range)?
I'm 52.

Brother what did you retire from? This is honestly one of my #1 goals in life and I would love to do it by 50....any advice?

I've got some advice for ya A.B......STOP BUYING EXPENSIVE PRS GUITARS & take up knitting...... laugh

Ok.....Jokes aside I'd like to know how you pulled off this early retirement too crhfish......... grin

Oh & I just thought of another instrument that I ROCK the hell out of & "No" it's not the skin-flute........Cowbell & of course MORE Cowbell...... grin

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/15/12 10:10 AM

"I've got some advice for ya A.B......STOP BUYING EXPENSIVE PRS GUITARS & take up knitting...... "

Ouch the truth hurts! I'm not even going to try to justify that one!

But fwiw, my wife doesn't read this site so you don't have to be on her side! grin haha
Posted by: TravisSwan

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/15/12 10:41 AM

I'll throw mine into the mix . . . I don't have a ton of time these days to interact on the forum, but I'm out here lurking!

How old are you (range)?

21 years

It's varied throughout the years, but you could just call it "rock." I grew up on tour with my parents - all my early memories consist of singing into microphones in front of seas of faces in random places. Sort of a folk-rock style dominated my early music years. Started running sound for my parents around age 8, playing/singing with them as well as solo gigs. Early styles were country/blues/folk, high school was all about punk rock, went about as heavy as I could later (screaming and all), and have since found a happy medium somewhere in energetic epic rock-land with lots of delays, both dotted 8 and 1/4 note.

Yes

Which ones?

Vocals were always my main emphasis, guitar was for accompaniment originally. I also play bass, mandolin, some banjo, piano, the saw, or whatever else I can get my hands on.

Yes. Have been constantly in at least one band since I was 12.

Yes.

Backing bands for album releases & tours throughout the years, producer & recording engineer, FOH, and for the last 11 years I've been the full time music director at an 1100 person church - think rock band, not choir.

Worship. I've had numerous opportunities in recent years to tour, etc., but Jesus has my entire focus & I serve where I'm needed the most for His glory - at this point in the local church.

At least once a week. Always with the 11R through the PA. I love it so much that I've sold almost all of my old gear.

Optional Q's
I'm married, have two kids under 3.

Other favorite hobby
Photography. Check out my flickr site for recent work I've done.

Examples of songs I've written, recorded lead vocals, played most of the instruments on, and produced/recorded in my home studio:
The Unknown
Almighty
You're Still Here

My office at work:

And in the spirit of X-Mann's extensive video post . . . I don't have many videos of me playing, but I found this one that someone at a conference videotaped with a shaky handheld camera and stuck on YouTube. It's just acoustic (through 11R believe it or not), but you'll get a good sense of "me." I actually play electric guitar 90% of the time with a band . . .

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/15/12 11:21 AM

Great stuff man! Great pics, love the home studio. Thanks for posting the originals too man, sounds great!

We have the same Martin! \m/
Posted by: Custom24Chris

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/15/12 11:44 AM

How old are you (range)?
29 (Will be 30 next January)

Since I was about 12-13...let's see, that's...carry the pi...I guess 16-17 years, but for about 5 years after I turned 19 I only picked it up on occasion so not nearly where I should be this long playing, got serious again at about 24 or so.

Hard Rock (old school and new, mostly original), Praise & Worship, Bluesy stuff...

Trumpet, Bass, baritone uke...

Been in several, none that ever did anything much. Play full time in the church Worship team as lead guitarist.

Never paid, but have been doing the church thing and lots of smaller cell groups and youth events with our church with just acoustic.

Church, cell groups associated with church, church events...lol.

At what level do you primarily gig now (large concerts, corporate events\festivals,
clubs, weddings, bar mitzvahs, house parties)?
Every week at least once, sometimes as much as 3-4 times.

Every week (again, just church though)...

Do you ever record with your Eleven Rack?
Weekly...

Originals only. I can enjoy covers, but not when I'm doing them. I would rather focus my energy on my original material.

Every week at church, works great, but looking to upgrade to the Axe Fx 2 in the not-so-distant future...

What are your favorite hobbies besides music & guitar playing?
Love to hang with my wife and kids, enjoy shooting guns, hanging with the church fellas, going to movies, writing (music & stories), griping about politics (lol), so on and so forth...

Married 6 years to wonderful woman, 2 beautiful kids, Joanna (2) and Jack (8 weeks), Blessed man...

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/15/12 11:56 AM

aussiebail,

I was in the oil and gas business, mostly natural gas. I helped start a company and had a minority interest. I was lucky, at the right place at the right time. The company went public, got really big, to big for me and I sold my shares. I had a non compete agreement that lasted for 2 years. By the time I could start up again the business here was a train wreck. It still is. I may jump back in just waiting until it feels right.

I did not help start the company because I wanted to. My company got sold and I did not want to move so I was forced to do something. I wanted my kids to stay put because they were doing good in school. Lucky, like I said. It was the right time to get into energy right after the Enron scandal.
Posted by: Vegas House

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/15/12 01:29 PM

How old are you (range)? mid 30s

How long have you been playing guitar (range)? 24 years

What style(s) do you play? Rock/Hard Rock & Metal

Do you play other instruments? yes Which ones? piano

Are you in a band (or have you been)?yes

Do you play (or have you ever played) professionally (full time)? yes but not so much anymore

If so, at what level (clubs, concerts in support of a major label release, etc)? played everything from big arenas to small venues. Have played shows as tour support for: All American Rejects, 12 Stones, Hinder, Ace Frehley, The Nixons..

At what level do you primarily gig now (large concerts, corporate events\festivals, clubs, weddings, bar mitzvahs, house parties)? an occasional club gig

How often do you play live? 1-2 times per month tops
Posted by: flynv

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/16/12 09:28 AM

How old are you (range)?
Chronologically 57, mentally 12.5.

About 50 years off and on. Out since 73+/-

At the moment, blues Staxx type band. Have played anything that paid money. Church to German UM-Pa music.
I'm naturally a ZZTOP fan (being from TEXAS), Johnny Winters, Warren Haynes, Allman Bros, Mountain, Trower, The Three Kings (Freddie, Albert, and BB) the BLUES in general since I was small. I don't know why a skinny young white boy from Galveston Tx would love the blues but I do.

No

Which ones?
NA

Yes. Blues band and a 4 piece Jam Rock Band.

In the 70's and now. (I'm retired)

Everything from small to med-large over the years.

Mosly clubs and corporate gigs now, but every so often something bigger comes up. Just played a gig for about 1500 at Pasadena fair grounds.

Two to five times a week.

Yes

Both but I'm learning PT's and I use it for practice.

Yes, I'm trying to work it in more and more. BUT, I'm no X-Mann!

Amazing always. The included effects could be larger but, most everything is included to get you by.

Camping, Backpacking, Fishing

Optional Q: Married,
Yes, 3 kids two in college

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/16/12 10:08 AM

I'm picking up on a lot of common traits between ALL of us for the most part.......& I think THAT is why this is such a cool place to hang-out & share your thoughts, ideas, songs, tunes, licks & pics..... shocked

We all seem to be around the 12 to 15 year old mentality range, all love guitar, music, family, kids & we all wish we were just a little bit better of a guitar player (I want to be VSA if I grow up)...... laugh & that's what keeps us going.......Plus we LOVE the 11-Rack like a FAT kid loves cake!!!...... grin

I think most forums are like FaceBook so to speak where you ONLY post the good stuff going on in your life & or playing......but I believe that anything can be posted here.....people want to help & encourage each other on this 11-R forum........Plus I strongly believe in the "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything" phrase..... smile

SO....I encourage all the guys creating 11-Rack music, be it covers or originals to share what they are doing w/ no fear of being judged........In the begining I didn't want to share anything w/ VSA dropping AMAZING guitar licks & tones all the time.....but over the past few years I tried to learn from others here & challenge myself & I can really hear (to me at least) the progress in my playing & phrasing now that so much time has gone by.........

I've enjoyed this forum & it's User base more then I could have ever imagined......& I've found this thread very interesting in a lot of different ways too......

So share your music no matter where you are at in your musical journey....& my alter ego will give you a virtual fisting eek (aka fist-bump) or chest bump for your efforts...... laugh & comming from a nobody/part time/crazy mo fo like me it should mean absolutley nothing really..... confused laugh crazy grin

I already salute everybody here who had the ballz to step up & share on this cool thread by Mr. Moff....... cool....& hey all you LURKERS (Yea....YOU!), get a login & jump on in.....The water is fine & VERY warm in my end of the pool.... eek....We'd love to see your gear & hear your story......

Peace! The 40-year old (Virgin) trapped in the mind of a 12-year old goof-ball kid...... grin (aka X-Mann)

PS - Thanks for letting me ramble like I do & try to bring the funny when I can......Just remember.....They can't all be jems people..... laugh

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/16/12 10:16 AM

Originally Posted By: flynv
How old are you (range)?
Chronologically 57, mentally 12.5.

Yes, I'm trying to work it in more and more. BUT, I'm no X-Mann!

See....Another 12 year old!!!!! grin

"X-Mann" is a mental creation of the player I want to be & not who I am (yea, right)...... smile......I only post the good stuff & try real hard to impress (or not totally embarass myself) you guys..... laugh

I do have over 50-friends on Facebook though & I can run like the wind now!!!! grin

Peace! eX-Mann
Posted by: Rushian

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/16/12 03:09 PM

OK this I can't resist! (I can resist everything but temptation...)

How old are you (range)?
Chronologically 46, mentally I'm as old as the woman I feel (yes married!grin and bought me my 11 rack cool, Les Paul Supreme, PRS 21, Jem, Strat & Ibarnez AGR73T -I gentlemen am one lucky dude!!! grin )

Play is strong word whistle, lets just say I've owned guitars for about 35 years

Again that word play confused well I make a noise that sounds like Rush/Classic Rock/80's metal in my head but my ears tell me a different story......

errr...thats a bit of a personal question don't cha think? blush

Which ones?
yikes...see above... blush blush

Yes it's me and my Rush Bobble heads, we rock!!!

Only in my dreams......

In my dreams? 11 of course!!!

Bedroom closet, I am a leg-end in my own lunchtime

Well last time I looked I still had a pulse so I guess every time the fancy takes me. I'll be sure to update this if I get bit by a zombie, vampire or a zombpire (now that would be cool!)

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/16/12 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Rushian

How old are you (range)?
Chronologically 46, mentally I'm as old as the woman I feel (yes married!grin and bought me my 11 rack cool, Les Paul Supreme, PRS 21, Jem, Strat & Ibarnez AGR73T -I gentlemen am one lucky dude!!! grin )

Play is strong word whistle, lets just say I've owned guitars for about 35 years

I laughed laugh , I cried cry & I in fact I enjoyed all of your responses Rushian.......Hell, I even love ur user name..... shocked

Oh &.....It is me Julius, I'm your brother!!!!!! grin

If things don't work out with you & the wife, have her look me up son......I can be had for a new PRS Tremonti guitar (I cook & clean too) & I'm easy......... laugh laugh laugh

Jokes aside (yea, right), I think that ur joy for the guitar (& the holy trinity) comes thru loud & clear bro........ cool

Peace! X-Mann

PS - You have a great gear collection too.........So what the hell do you do to get the wife to even let you have all these cool toys?

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/16/12 06:24 PM

The first thing I thought about when he mentioned his bobbleheads was Mr. Liefsons collection of barbie's by his peddle. He's in good company!!
Posted by: dmock66

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/16/12 06:46 PM

Okay - I'll play too!

How old are you (range)?
45 earth years

Started at 15... played for about 7 years... took about 13 years off... been playing again for about 10 years.

Crappy... wait, that's my technique. Style - 80s rock is my pocket - grew up on old Rush (Moving Pictures and older), Van Halen, Scorpions, Ratt....

A bit of bass... have sat in on drums for the youth band I lead at church.

I play in a worship band at church (risen.bandcamp.com -- we have a few originals)

Eh... no.

N/A

Church

Most every Sunday - 11R 1/4" out to a DI to the board
Posted by: crankyrayhanky

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/16/12 06:54 PM

How old are you (range)?

I like listening to all kinds of music, but when I play, I'm best at Hard Rock/Metal

Bass, Drums, Keys, various tsrange intruments around the house

I was in lots of local bands, various degrees of local success & failures

Pro? No, but best gigs included legendary CBGBs in New York and headlining the Trocadero in Philadelphia...lots of radio play on those big city "loud & local" type shows

No gigging these days...but grooming an all internet band- all are welcome!
Posted by: rushfan

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/17/12 07:08 AM

How old are you (range)?

34 years

Mostly Rock, Hard, Classic, some contemporary Christian stuff at church

I have a bass for recording, and attempt to sing smile

Yes, I have always been in a gigging band since I was 16

Yes, but now just a weekend warrior - once or twice per month. After graduating college back in '87, my cover band toured the midwest, playing 5 or 6 night club gigs in IA, NE, ND, SD, MN, WI, IL for a year. I would have loved to been in an original band back then instead - both are fun.

clubs, town celebrations, a few concerts back in the day, opened up for Brett Michaels at a local arena show last fall

primarily clubs, some town celebrations

somewhere between 2 - 4 times per month.
Posted by: Brian

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/17/12 07:49 AM

How old are you (range)?

Around 28 years but I had a period of 2-3 years where I didn't play much at all.

80's music like Ratt, Dokken, Iron Maiden, Quiet Riot, Pink Floyd, White Lion, Tesla...and Praise & Worship

Bass, Keyboards and Drums

One in High School and College. Play full time in the Church Praise Team and the Youth Praise Team as lead guitarist.

Not paid but have played city wide Church youth events or other area church's.

Played at clubs during high school and college. Play at Church, Youth Events now.

At what level do you primarily gig now (large concerts, corporate events\festivals,
clubs, weddings, bar mitzvahs, house parties)?
Church and Youth Events

2 times a week, every week.

Do you ever record with your Eleven Rack?
Starting to, since I just received it.

Working on originals but I've recorded cover's in the past.

Will be using it at Church next week

What are your favorite hobbies besides music & guitar playing?
Spending time with the family, working out, playing racquetball, working with the youth at church (not a hobbie but something I enjoy).

Will be married 19 years in a couple of months to my first love that I have been with for 25 years. Have 2 girls, one almost 13 and one 9.
Posted by: Rushian

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/17/12 10:28 AM

Originally Posted By: X-Mann

Julius? JULIUS! my god bro...where have you been!???? My...you've grown, you're a lot taller and buffer then I remember..hey what's that housekeeper doing... blush shocked

If things don't work out with you & the wife, have her look me up son......I can be had for a new PRS Tremonti guitar

She's mine I tell you, ALL MINE!!!! Back of dude or I'll give you nasty wedgie!! crazy mad oh...wait a minute...you're the tall buff guy......DAMN sick

I'm easy......... laugh laugh laugh

I bet you say that to all the boys wink

hell do you do to get the wife to even let you have all these cool toys?

I make sure she has all milk she wants and as much gold as she can eat.(I'm still saving up for the asses and slaves! eek )

But seriously X-Mann, if I made you laugh and cry, then I have paid back a small part of the debt, I have with you for making me giggle like a rabid hyena and cry like a politician caught playing his instrument! laugh laugh I live for your posts and X-TV grin

I'm easy......... laugh laugh laugh PS - You have a great gear collection too........

I live by the motto - He with the most toys when he dies wins! grin One of these days I'll post pics of the 'collection' so that the burglars know where to come !!

Ok time for me to go back into bedroom closet and enter lurking mode smirk
Posted by: Brian

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/17/12 10:34 AM

Ok time for me to go back into bedroom closet and enter lurking mode smirk

Is that what it's called nowadays? LOL!!!

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/17/12 11:30 AM

Hey what's that housekeeper doing... blush shocked

ALL 4"! shocked grin eek laugh cry smirk wink sick
Posted by: Steven Bruce

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/17/12 11:53 AM

How old are you (range)?

22 years

rock, praise & worship

I can fake it a bit on keys & bass

Played full-time with a band in the 90's
These days I mostly play in church.

I guess I do now...My full-time job is to lead music @ church, so I've got a weekly "gig" with an audience of 700 or so. I used to play with a band in high-school/college that released several albums and toured quite a bit...we got paid, but not much wink

youth functions, colleges, festivals, opened for Geoff Moore once

Church weekly with about 700 or so in attendance.

Weekly

I'd love to but haven't had time. I used to run a studio (back in ADAT days)

I would record both.

Been using it weekly for the past 5 months or so. Replaced a Budda SD30.

Been going good, I've even weaned myself off most my pedals...but I WISH WISH WISH that the 11R could send tuner info via MIDI...for my set-up I lose the benefit of all the stage clutter.

Ride my bike to work each day, dream of golf (don't have time/money to play anymore) and hanging with my family.

Am I married?
Yes
Posted by: dbvoyager

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/17/12 06:30 PM

I'm me, who are you?

Re: So, who are our members? - 05/18/12 07:22 AM

Originally Posted By: dbvoyager
I'm me, who are you?

Posted by: 156Thelema

Re: So, who are our members? - 07/28/12 07:00 PM

How old are you (range)?
Early 30's, going on 18.

About 20 years, but very much on and off. There have been periods of 4-5 years when I have barely touched a guitar. I am only just getting really serious about my playing.

Metal, 70's hard rock, classic rock, blues, fingerstyle country blues and fingerpicking in general (I basically learned to play the guitar by playing old Black Sabbath songs and Eric Clapton's Unplugged album).

Not really. Since I know the notes I can sort of fake a 4/4 or 6/8 bassline if I'm forced to, but I can't play anything fancy.

Nope. I rehearsed with a couple of guys for a few weeks in college, but the other guitarist and the drummer were total beginners, and me and the bassist/vocalist were a bit more experienced. We ended up mostly playing really boring (to me) songs where all I did was bang out power chords. Nirvana, Green Day, The Offspring, things like that. When we occasionally did play something like "One" by Metallica I had to do all the hard parts, and I wasn't really good enough for that. xD

Nope. Never wanted to either. I only play because I think it's fun, and I wouldn't want to ruin that by having to play things that other people like.

N/A

N/A

N/A

Re: So, who are our members? - 08/07/12 01:18 PM

Doin the bump!!!!! (Bump, not butt) grin

Great thread & nobody puts Baby in the corner (Nobody)! smile
Posted by: Bob

Re: So, who are our members? - 01/28/14 01:23 PM

How old are you (range)?
Chronologically 59, mentally 18 (well as far as enthusiasm and wonder at the world goes. Just beginning to realize that I ain't made of steel). laugh

About 48 years.

What is now termed as classic rock (late 60' thru 70's), Blues, Country, Rodeo Rock (think Chris LeDoux), Western Swing, Cowboy (Think Dan Roberts), and Bluegrass. Worship music, at least in my church, is a combination of rock, blues, and gospel.

Yes

Which ones?
Bass, Fiddle, and a little keyboard. I have a Sam Elliot kind of voice, so I am not often asked to sing. smile

Yes. Worship band, if that counts. I also play in a blues/blues rock band. I jam and sit in on/with others on occasion and I do some session work from my little project studio. I haven't for a while, but I used to go to a lot of bluegrass festivals where my brother and I would play together.

Well......not full time. I used to make a pretty large portion of my income with my instrument, but I still held a day job.

I was in a band in high school and college playing at the time top 40 covers (classic rock to most of you laugh ) and that paid my housing in college. I was also in the house band of a night club (well country bar) during the 80's 80 through 87 actually, playing 6 nights a week.

Mostly clubs, openings, some festivals, etc. Open mics with friends, that kind of thing now.

As the blues band, a couple of times per month. Worship, weekly. Open mics etc. a couple times per month. Session work - a few times per month average.

Yes. I use it with my 003 Rack Plus.

Both

Yes. I actually bought a second 11R so that I could leave one permanently in the studio.

I works great! I can run the 11R through FOH, get a good in ear monitor mix, and also through a powered speaker for on stage monitor.

Horses. I've had horses most all of my life since I was 2 (granddad was a horse trainer as well as a big band drummer).

Married - Three kids - Five grand kids - 5 horses - 2 cats
Posted by: BMoe

Re: So, who are our members? - 01/28/14 06:23 PM

How old are you (range)?

53-15=38

Rock!, Rock!, Rock!, little county rock(because I have to, to pacify others in the band)

Yup, sort of

Which ones?
Harmonica, Drums (own a kit, but is stored away, probably for good, now use Addictive Drums), Bass (does that count? JK) Oh, Oh, bass solo!!!
Primarily love the guitar!!!

Yes, currently only gigging a couple times a year with some friends, was in a band for 12 years (yes, same 5 guys)

No

Just for fun or sense of accomplishment, but did spend 3 years recording an original LP,(CD). Had a contract with a small time studio.

The one and only CARPFEST ( very small time fishing opener gig, once a year)

Couple times a year.

Yes, Pro Tools 10 and 11 via s/pdif into Saffire Pro 40, Mac Pro (project studio)

Both

Not yet, just got it Nov 2013, but will, with an awesome EV ELX112P (this speaker is amazing.) So is the ER. also, have the HD500 with DT50, but love the ER.

N/A yet

Golfing, Hockey, Snowboarding, chasing wife around the house (kids are gone)

Optional Q: Married, single etc...etc....etc…
Married 33 years, 5 kids(3 married), 11 grandkids, 1 dog, some mice (live in the country)
Posted by: Marc C.

Re: So, who are our members? - 01/28/14 08:02 PM

How old are you (range)?

39 years, professionally for 35 years

Classic rock, Blues, Country-rock, some Country, Disco, Dance, Pop, anything else that makes people dance at the corporate gigs we do.

Yes

Which ones?
Percussion (timbales, congas, etc.), keyboards, bass, drums and I sing

Yes, and have been in one or more for the past 35 years.

Yes, and I still do.

Mostly corporate gigs and weddings now, with the occasional club gig. From 1987 through 1991 I had a band called Looking For Marck that saw a little bit of success with an album and a couple of top 40 singles in Canada in '89 & '90. Good times, and I miss that terribly.

At what level do you primarily gig now?
See above.

Just about every week, often more than once a week.

No

Mostly covers, but with software like TH2 and Kuassa.

Yes. Many gigs.

Going direct through a PA and it sounds very good.

I'm a graphic artist, so that's not a hobby but I do enjoy it. Other than that... reading (novels), the occasional movie.

Single, sadly.
Posted by: Bob

Re: So, who are our members? - 02/12/14 09:17 AM

I like this one so BUMP!!!