Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46649 - 02/21/19 05:50 PM What I love and hate about my Boss Katana 50 amp...
Justin Offline

advanced member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
What I absolutely love...
- Best $230 ever spent on any gear in terms of value for money, ever
- Lightweight, less than 30 lbs.
- Loud enough to gig with
- Portable
- Simple panel controls (well, kind of)
- Really, really great sounding amp, blew me away

What I hate...
- The Katana 50 is packed with over 50 great pedals/effects even a noise suppressor and they all sound, really, really good BUT you have to use a computer to edit them. Why oh why couldn't Boss make a these editable on an LCD panel in the same way the Fender Mustang amps are?

- Also, why oh why are there only 4 preset locations built into the amp. You can have more presets but only if you have a computer. What we need is a footpedal that can access banks of presets DUH!!!

If Boss just made a controller pedal, that'd fix the problem but it would have to plugin to the USB port on the back of the amp. It'd sell like hotcakes.

Anyone else share the same feelings about the Katana 50?

#46653 - 02/25/19 03:17 PM Re: What I love and hate about my Boss Katana 50 amp... [Re: Justin]
ujnhunter Offline

No idea, but now I've got one in my Sweetwater cart... why did you do this to me?! wink

#46654 - 03/01/19 12:15 PM Re: What I love and hate about my Boss Katana 50 amp... [Re: Justin]
DonaldR Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Yep, really like my Katana 50w for the same reasons. So easy to get a good sound, but still miles behing the 11R smile
It's just my practice amp, so 4 presets is enough for me. More presets: Katana 100w or Katana Head.

#46657 - 03/05/19 06:52 AM Re: What I love and hate about my Boss Katana 50 amp... [Re: DonaldR]
ujnhunter Offline

Haha... yeah... it's funny because I saw the 100w and the extra features... and was contemplating going big or going home! Still in my cart... maybe this urge will pass.

#46658 - 03/05/19 11:31 AM Re: What I love and hate about my Boss Katana 50 amp... [Re: ujnhunter]
DonaldR Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I tried the K100c first, at home, for playing at home.
0.5w was good, 50w was too much, so imagine 100w.
I wanted the 100w because I would like to go out of the 11R and in K100c effect return. The sound was not good enough to keep it as the Katana has a guitar speaker (not FRFR).

For me the K50c is the perfect size for home (easy to move from one room to the other), the perfect output level (0.5w for bedroom, 25w when you want to have fun), you can also take it to a jam with friends, and it's the best $230 I spent on music equipment. It's in my leaving room for a 15mins blues noodling here and there (4 presets are enough). Just take into account that it's a 1x12" open back combo amp, will not compare to Mesa Mark V with a 4x12" close back cab.

One trick: gain and volume are digital (tube logic), the master is analog and designed to mimic an EL34 tube power amp, so crank it as you would on a Marshall :-)

Edited by DonaldR (03/05/19 11:40 AM)

#46669 - 06/20/19 07:24 PM Re: What I love and hate about my Boss Katana 50 amp... [Re: DonaldR]
Digital Larry Offline

Loc: CA
I got a Katana 100W and it is under the bench now. I am using the Eleven with a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 and FCB 1010 with Eureka FW. I've got the FX loop going to a Behringer audio interface connected to iPad running Quantilooper.

I am not sure about the sounds because the Katana makes some nice sounds and so does the Eleven. I'm using the Eleven because of the bigger/better UI and more flexible MIDI controllability.

There are definitely some limitations on the Eleven in the FX zone, e.g. no auto wah or pitch shifter/harmonizers. But I don't use those much anyway and I have a Line6 M9 if I really just had to.

I also have my bass and GK 200MB on one channel of Quantilooper.