Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44591 - 09/20/15 03:05 PM How to have reverb IRs and Cab IRs with EPSi?
T.C.Kramer Offline
advanced member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I noticed on my SD card that came with my EPSi that there is a folder with the reverb IRs.Although I bought this thing for the cabs, I heard some pretty interesting verb sounds on youtube and was wondering, do I need to put them on another SD card or is there a way to switch from verb IRs to Cab IRs?

#44594 - 09/21/15 03:44 AM Re: How to have reverb IRs and Cab IRs with EPSi? [Re: T.C.Kramer]
Markus Offline
advanced member

Loc: Deutschland
You won't be able to switch between the two uses of the EPSi quickly. It requires loading the other firmware. There is a firmware for the reverb and one for the cab sims. You can store the respective firmware and the sounds together on one SD card, but loading the firmware requires the use of a computer.

#44595 - 09/21/15 07:00 AM Re: How to have reverb IRs and Cab IRs with EPSi? [Re: Markus]
T.C.Kramer Offline
advanced member

That doesn't sound easy or practical. I guess an easier way might be to purchase another EPSi? If only money grew on trees.....

Thanks for the info Marcus.

#44596 - 09/21/15 09:14 AM Re: How to have reverb IRs and Cab IRs with EPSi? [Re: T.C.Kramer]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
Yeah, another EPSi would be the best way, but I don't think the IR reverbs would be any better than what is on the 11r playing live, the crowd wouldn't notice. The noticeable difference may be there when tracking, but you can always add IR reverb through the DAW..

#44597 - 09/21/15 09:31 AM Re: How to have reverb IRs and Cab IRs with EPSi? [Re: Downrazor11]
T.C.Kramer Offline
advanced member

How would I add IR reverb through my DAW? (Protools MP9)

#44598 - 09/21/15 01:13 PM Re: How to have reverb IRs and Cab IRs with EPSi? [Re: T.C.Kramer]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
I've tried to make some IRs by running a test tone through cabinets with reverb on, and It's better to just use the 11R reverb & FX and keep the FX Loop last in the chain to give it some character. I sometimes wish I could have an early reflect and a concert reverb though, but for most purposes it all sounds about the same for all the work involved. There are a few interesting 3D kind of reverbs out there I'm going to keep expirimenting with. There's one in the free IR pack (AK-SRooms I think it's called), some are quirky but some are really nice and polished and change the feel completely.

Actually, here http://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/free-reverb-impulse-responses/

Just use SIR or some kind of IR loader in your DAW. What I do is throw the cabinet IR on one track, send that to a bus with the reverb on it or blend it in and different % and see which one seems to work best. You can either send a test tone through the IRloader or just import the actual IRs and guess how they might need to be mixed (and that is tcan he best way from my experience bc capturing methods vary and you lose details).

I also have no idea what included reverbs on the EPSi sdcard sound good and keep forgetting, so will eventually go through those in my DAW and see if I can make something that has cabinets and reverbs and post later on.

#44600 - 09/21/15 04:25 PM Re: How to have reverb IRs and Cab IRs with EPSi? [Re: TLTD]
T.C.Kramer Offline
advanced member

It sounds like I might save my self alotbof time and frustration using my reverb plug ins in my DAW. I mostly use reverb as glue in my mix. So a great reverb shouldn't sound much different than a good reverb IMHO. Thanks for the input TLTD.

#44602 - 09/22/15 01:04 AM Re: How to have reverb IRs and Cab IRs with EPSi? [Re: T.C.Kramer]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
This is from my tutorial:
How to make multi Cab IR's from existing IR's for use with the Epsi:
with PT11:

1.Open a blank session and click on "setup" then "session" change the bit rate to 24 and make sure sample rate is at 44.1 khz
2.click "File" then "Import" then "Audio" navigate to the IR's in your comp and click"Add Files" then "Done" then "create new tracks from start position" then click "Track" then "New" select "Stereo" and "Master Fader" then click "Create"
3.you have an option to either change the output to "Main Out R" and "Main Out L" in "mix window" on each track or pan each track to your liking so some of each bleed over to the other.
4.Add any plugins to the master track you want as in screenshot.
5.Click "File" then "Bounce To" then "Disk" select as in screenshot
6.Put in Epsi "EPDA" folder. and your done.

I am pretty sure I used a couple different plugins when I was experimenting with this process and they all worked but they may not sound as good, it's been almost a year since I was doing the research for the tutorial so try some and report back. I know it was PT11 but it should be close to the same ...

Epsi Hookup and Settings Tutorial