Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43870 - 06/14/15 07:22 AM Feedback
ral8667 Offline

Hi all.

I've used my Eleven Rack at several shows without issues until last night. Last night I couldn't get the PA to bring up my Eleven Rack loud enough before it would start to feedback. I was certainly behind the main speakers, and there were no monitors active at the time. I simply plug into the guitar input of the Eleven Rack and use both main outs on the back to 2 channels of the mixer. The channels of the mixer are both EQ'd flat. And there are no effects being applied by the mixer. I was able to get just enough volume for the show, but this just isn't right. I should have more headroom than I did. The feedback is coming from patches that have high gain. We don't play metal, so I'm not in that area of high gain.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Ron

#43878 - 06/14/15 09:33 PM Re: Feedback [Re: ral8667]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
feedback can be caused for several reasons:

1) high gain preset played too loud
2) microphonic pickups
3) hollow/semi hollow or plywood guitar body

first question is which one of these do you have?

#43881 - 06/15/15 04:49 PM Re: Feedback [Re: singtall]
ral8667 Offline

I do have some high gain presets. The pickups are stock Carvin (not active pickups). The body is solid (Carvin CT3).

I've played several shows using house PAs and the 11R without an issue. I ran into the feedback issue using our own PA. I am connecting the XLR out of the 11R into a 1/4" input on the mixer. So basically, the cable is XLS to 1/4". Is it possible the mixer is doing something to help create the feedback using this type of input? Should I simply go XLR to XLR? I plan on trying an XLR to XLS cable the next time we need to use the our own PA.

#43883 - 06/15/15 07:06 PM Re: Feedback [Re: ral8667]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
i use XLR TO XLR all the time with our system with no issues... sounds great.

#43884 - 06/15/15 07:30 PM Re: Feedback [Re: jaminjimlp]
William Offline

Loc: Ga.
Graphic EQ set differently than the House PA's you had been using maybe? I know, using my StudioLive 16.4.2 AI, I have to be very careful of the GEQ settings with the Acoustic Guitar and my Bass. Just a fine line between just enough EQ for "that" sound and too darn much EQ and getting into the "ping/FB" zone.

#43919 - 06/18/15 06:51 AM Re: Feedback [Re: William]
ral8667 Offline

The eq on my channel and the master mix was flat. I will try the xlr to xlr cable this weekend and let you know if it made a difference. Thanks for the input gang.

#43945 - 06/21/15 05:26 AM Re: Feedback [Re: ral8667]
ral8667 Offline

Figured out where the feedback was coming from.

We had the main speakers on stage in front of us. In my case, it was to my right as I faced the crowd. I was probably 2 to 3 feet away. Being this close to the speakers would cause high gain patches on the Eleven Rack to feedback. If I stepped away a bit, the feedback went away. The only think I can think of is my pickups, which are not active, were too close to the magnets on the speakers. The PA cabinets are made by JBL, so they should be decent quality.

Anyhow, I've never experience something like this in 30+ years of playing live before. Unfortunately I don't have an amp these days to try it in place of the Eleven Rack from the same position to see if I get the feedback.

So we moved the PA speakers even further away and had a good show without the feedback.

smile